Official: Axl will join AC/DC for stadium tour/US dates

ZoSoRose

It's so amazing in my opinion. Axl fronting AC\DC adds so much to the reunion more press is good press. I don't care how much work he does the more the better. I don't think it will hurt his voice or performance at all. Singing is what he does, I wan't to see him singing as much as he can. Also there's going to be at least one soundboard recording I would hope from one of the ACDC shows so Axl fans get to hear him doing a whole bunch of great ACDC songs for the first time ever. I see nothing but good coming from this.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, k12 said:

exactly, this whole thing with AC/DC is actually selfish of him, he should be saving his voice and his energy for the GNR shows, playing a whole bunch of AC/DC shows where he is going to have to learn alot of songs and I am sure is going to try extra hard to impress the AC/DC fans is going to leave him drained by the time the GNR tour gets started

Or...its selfish of you to try and tell another person how they should live their life.  All a matter of perspective isn't it?

7 minutes ago, StoneTempleRoses said:

It's so amazing in my opinion. Axl fronting AC\DC adds so much to the reunion more press is good press. I don't care how much work he does the more the better. I don't think it will hurt his voice or performance at all. Singing is what he does, I wan't to see him singing as much as he can. Also there's going to be at least one soundboard recording I would hope from one of the ACDC shows so Axl fans get to hear him doing a whole bunch of great ACDC songs for the first time ever. I see nothing but good coming from this.

Agree! But at the same time i'm a bit nervous.. What if ACDC crowd boo him off stage or something?. Everyone (ACDC fans) seems so fucking angry about this.. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, James Bond said:

What great news to wake up to this morning. I think this will only be good for Axl's voice - he always sounds better mid-tour so this means he won't be sitting on his butt for the next two months. The guy has been more active in the first four months 2016 than in the last twenty years combined. :lol:

I think the GNR tour was delayed last minute to accomodate Axl/DC. When @Eddie Money was first telling us dates there were some in May (I think the Texas show was late May to start with?), but I think the radio silence Eddie got after a while was because of the whole AC/DC situation and Axl auditioning.

If this is gonna be a long-term deal, I can see Axl/DC going on while Slash tours with the Conspirators and Duff tours with Walking Papers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tkarmy said:

Man Axl must have upped his prozak...

Immediately after the house lights came up on 04/09, I sat down and looked at my 3 friends in disbelief at the show I'd just seen. They were waiting to see what the first thing I'd say was. To their disappointment, the first thing out of my mouth was "I'm not sure what to do with Happy Axl" :lol:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Amir said:

I think the GNR tour was delayed last minute to accomodate Axl/DC. When @Eddie Money was first telling us dates there were some in May (I think the Texas show was late May to start with?), but I think the radio silence Eddie got after a while was because of the whole AC/DC situation and Axl auditioning.

Aaa, that would really be lame but I also have this suspition. That would probably mean Slash being pissed off at least to some extent and maybe, after all, the Slash "not happy enough" Hudson wasn't so out of the blue as I used to think.

Especially that he could expect and I wouldn't blame him that the whole thing would be a big celebration of his return, of Guns N' Roses in general, that it will be all about the three of them and the fans, rather than Axl and his new supergroup, this time outside of Guns. I mean this thing is trending more than the reunion now. It's overshadowing Guns as Guns has been sort of non-existent for years and hasn't managed to jump back into the spotlight yet. I'm sure Slash wasn't deciding to come back to make more news for Axl and AC/DC. His return should be enough of an event for the hype to be concentrated on that.

I'm sure it wasn't an obvious decision for him either, he's got his bad or even very bad memories, he had to bury it all and learn to trust Axl again and... Axl postpones the tour before it even starts?

I think the biggest thing we stand apart on is it being bad for the GN'R brand. I completely disagree on that and I'm not even an AC/DC fan. I think the only thing that can come out of this is good, but that of course remains to be seen

I'm afraid there are many possibilities it could actually be the opposite. First of all, it can easily turn into a real disaster either because the AC/DC fans might not accept him and keep booing and bottling him off stage and secondly Axl is Axl, Angus is Angus and I see great potential for a serious conflict here. It's one thing to be a fan far away and another to be touring together for two months. I don't think Angus will be willing to take any shit from Axl, any lateness or whatever. Will Axl be able to completely adhere to Young's expectations remains to be seen but it is very much unlike him. What if anything pisses him off during the two months? Likely to happen. Especially if the crowd remains hostile. And if this all turns into a disaster it will be a very bad thing for GNR tour - the whole press bashing him mercilessly and turning him into a joke again.

I think he could sing the fuck out of AC/DC songs and actually bring something to them too, his voice has a sort of a theatricality to it that works brilliantly with the vocal work of someone like Bonn.  I thought his take on Whole Lotta Rosie from back in the day really added something to it, as did Slashes more looser guitarwork.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

I think he could sing the fuck out of AC/DC songs and actually bring something to them too, his voice has a sort of a theatricality to it that works brilliantly with the vocal work of someone like Bonn.  I thought his take on Whole Lotta Rosie from back in the day really added something to it, as did Slashes more looser guitarwork.

Just watched Whole Lotta Rosie and Riff Raff a couple of times, actually Axl is doing pretty good. Most of the not hardcore AC/DC fans I talked to were pleasantly surprised.  The hardcore AC/DC fans whine of course, but to be honest they will be a minority for the shows in Europe. The AC/DC shows I attended last year in Europe were more like family entertainment events, I actually think many will find it rather cool that 2 of the biggest names in rock history collide on one stage. In any way, I guess it is a once in a lifetime chance to see Axl playing with AC/DC, I really do not understand why any rock fan would not want to see that. 

I reckon it will be AC/DCs last tour, so they go with a bang. Marketing wise also for Guns I think it is actually pretty good, the amount of news coverage is simply crazy....it has been everywhere from CNN to the tabloids to business magazins...

• Like 1

Well i think it could work out, but there are really a lot of uncertainities that really make me nervous.

1. I agree that this whole AC/DC-thing kind of steals the limelight of the GnR reunion/regrouping. If the whole thing has been discussed with Duff and Slash, that should not be a problem - but i somehow doubt that this is the way the communication within the band works nowadays. But this is only speculation of cours. The thing is, if the other guys feel somehow betrayed by Axl, it could definatly effect the GnR tour.

2. I share the fear that Axl could kind of ruin his voice while touring with AC/DC, as the songs are (at least the way i perceive it) technically easier than GnR-Material, but they requiere a very "forced" rasp to sound as expected and the way Axl tends to go easy on his voice whenever possible doesnt really work for AC/DC-Songs. This point is of course debatable, but i think Axl would rather go all-out on th DC-Songs  than disappointing the fans and/or Angus.

3. Somehow, i dont think that anybody can really win in this situation. At the very best, Axl is perceived as an adequate replacement for the time being and his Perception by the media will be restored a bit - but the same effect would happen if the GnR-Tour would start earlier and they bring the goods. If it does not work out, AC/DC will tarnish their (until now) basically flawless legacy and Axl will probably be blamed for everthing that went wrong. There are many great and less divisive rock-vocalists that could fill the gap without giving off the impression of straight up replacing brian with someone who is, by the general audience, percieved as having a somewhat similar style of singing (as in: high-pitched-scream). Someone suggested them choosing Lzzy Hale and going the "no man can replace brian, so we chose someone completly different"-approach. I feel something like this could have worked out better and be more respectful towards Brian.

Edited by Teufelsgeiger
smoothing out a sentence

Axl better save his energy for the US GNR dates.

I think this is crazy to sing for AC/DC in May and June and then do the US tour.

It seems to me that after the GNR reunion tour, I doubt you'll see Slash and Duff and Axl doing any more new music or any more touring. I just have that feeling.

Read a not so nice article about Axl's singing again. Damn!

I just feel that no matter what Axl Rose does in his life, some people will still criticize him for it.

Edited by dontdamnmeuyi2015
more to say

Some of the Aussie press is savaging this. Nothing to be surprised about. AC/DC is something of a national treasure down under. But in his rage this journo is giving Axl and Guns an unfair pounding -

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/acdc-paired-with-axl-rose-a-tragic-insult-20160418-go8jj8.html

7 minutes ago, The Archer said:

Some of the Aussie press is savaging this. Nothing to be surprised about. AC/DC is something of a national treasure down under. But in his rage this journo is giving Axl and Guns an unfair pounding -

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/acdc-paired-with-axl-rose-a-tragic-insult-20160418-go8jj8.html

"At best 5 good songs."

Wanker has awful taste. 

It is a couple of months with AC/DC, nothing is "in place" of GNR, it is in addition to.  For anyone getting to sing for one of their favorite childhood bands and influences would be a dream, if anything I bet Slash and Duff are totally fine with Axl touring with AC/DC.  

It isn't like GNR was gonna plan any tour dates coinciding with the AC/DC dates anyways, the Brian Johnson ousting and the news of his hearing loss came waaay after the venue contracts for the GNR tour would have been signed

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

I can't help but think this AC/DC thing is Axl's way to stick it to Slash, try and take the thunder out of the GNR reunion and show he is still the man, if Axl really cared about the reunion he would not do the AC/DC thing, but he is going to hurt his voice and who knows how the GNR shows are going to go, of course they waited until after GNR sold their tickets for the tour to make the announcement

• Like 1

I haven't read through the comments this morning but last night went onto AC\DC's fb page & there were hundreds of thousands of negative posts about Axl, my worry is he will be pelted with things on stage together with their anger at Angus who they believe sacked Brian. Brian said it was his choice to leave but the Young brothers do have a reputation for being tough to work for.

Of course as an Australian I loved the Bon Scott era & like some of Brian's work but possibly there's more songs I don't know than I do. I'd go if they were touring here as this might be the end of AC\DC & I think Axl should be able to pull this off. We don't know how long he's been singing with them during this quiet time to learn the songs & discuss the fan reaction etc. It's not like a sudden decision, he's probably been rehearsing for a long time behind the scenes.

I can see this turning into a GnR versus AC\DC fan situation which is a shame. Both are good bands, both have lost members & their original lineups but as much as it's not liked they need to be supported.

• Like 2