Apparently Slash is asking reporters to sign contracts before interviews

I'd do the same if I were slash. bc one click bait title could send axl off the deep end (assuming history is accurate and he is still sensitive like that)   

it's not cool when so many of these stories twist words into looking like an artist said something they didn't.  just look at any alternative nation headline.  I'm serious.  

drama and bad news sells.  peace, punctuality and civility don't.  so these journalists got to "get the scoop" many times by making one up. 

and then ultimately the artist gets left having to make peace with his bandmates over a misunderstanding.  just look at slash rolling stone interview from the 90s where axl got mad at him and returned the straight jacket slash gave him for his birthday.  according to slashs books that took a while for them to work out.  

if the GNR powder keg goes off and slash gets fired, he goes broke quick.

I don't think either side did anything wrong. the interviewer was just doing his job, asked some aggressive questions to get more clicks or whatever and Slash was doing his job and tried to protect his thing and also promote his new album and tour with his solo thing. it's just a part of the game I suppose.

it would be boring if no one had the balls to ask anything interesting and the contract thing is fair game when you put into context the lucrative tour and past media problems axl and slash had. slash used the media to his advantage in the past it seems so no one is innocent here. it's just business.

Here's a very  comparable situation. The NY Giants have a wide receiver named Odell Beckham Jr. I like OBJ. He's a hard worker but can be a  bit flamboyant.

For one game in 2015, OBJ was actually threatened by the Carolina Panthers when they played. The Carolina Panthers came out with baseball bats onto the field when OBJ and Manning were practicing before the game. They pointed the bats to OBJ.  During the game, one of the defensive players named Josh Norman was trying to  get inside OBJ's head by illegally tackling him after the play was dead, etc. OBJ was ticked off at one point and try to spearhead Norman with his helmet.  He was ejected from the game as a result. 

Due to this game, the NY media has been blowing things out of proportion with him ever since. They have written stories about his so called on field and off field antics. This past off season, there were ton of articles stating that the Giants would let him go and that he was a drama queen.All the drama was created by the NY media to sell more papers and/or to get clicks on their websites.  

This past week, the Giants resigned OBJ for a 5 year deal worth $95 million. He stated his goal now is to becoming legendary and try to be the best football player  possible. 

The point that I'm making is that reporters sometimes tend to write articles for their own benefit. I can't  blame Slash with having a contract for reporters to sign as a result. 

• Like 1

Since GNR began, the media has been notorious for twisting their comments, trying to read between the lines and if nothing is there, inserting whatever made a good story just to sell magazines. I understand their distrust of the media after being screwed over as many times as they have in the past. I don't think this has anything to do with inability of the band members to communicate with each other or lack of maturity. Actually, this is a mature thing for them to do at this point.  They have probably had enough drama caused by the media and their fans in the last 30 years and would rather avoid it, if at all possible.  Makes perfect sense to me. 😉

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

lol OBJ played like shit a handful of times after the fight with Norman, would constantly run his mouth, got injured, was seen on a yacht a week before an important playoff game, etc.

The dude was a walking drama factory until Pat Schurmur and John Mara told him to shut the fuck up.

Slash could simply decline a question and redirect to another topic.

It's not rocket science / brain surgery / trigonometry / Axl Rose releasing an album. 

Yeah, he played like crap after the Josh Norman incident. That's why  this happened:

In 2016, he became the fastest player in NFL history to reach both 200 career receptions and 4,000 career receiving yards. In 2016, he recorded his first 100-reception season and reached the NFL playoffs for the first time in his career, after helping the Giants to an 11–5 season record.

AS far as being a drama factory, the NY Giants had a wife beater who was a kicker. The Giants also had Shockey who was a much bigger drama queen and headache for Eli Manning.

As far as releasing an album, you are having selective memory. as to  who rejoined the band two years ago.  It's kinda of bit hard to do so when you are doing a world tour. 

Edited by Draguns

I understand it tbh. No reason in opening old wounds. Maybe someday they will do something complex about Axl-Slash reunion, at the moment we know what we know and that's it. Step in their shoes and you will see reporters as bunch of guys willing to promote themselves with some unique content grabbed during interviews. One word can be changed 180 degree for whatever reason. Too risky after all those wasted years and shit between band members.

I had no problem with it years ago and have no problem with it now.

The media can easily twist someone's words. Sounds like Slash doesn't want a repeat.

It's actually quite common. The reason why we don't hear about others doing it as much is because their fans don't make big deals about it like some GnR fans have in the past.

• Like 1

On 31/08/2018 at 2:25 PM, RONIN said:

Smells like the Redhead...

“And I never saw it coming. I mean, this is my side of it, he’d probably say I’m completely fucking crazy, but I think he went power mad. Suddenly he was trying to control everything. Did you ever see those fucked up contracts for the journalists to sign?” he asks, referring to the notorious ‘consent forms’ that Axl foolishly tried to foist on the media in 1991. “The control issues just became worse and worse and eventually it filtered down to the band. He was trying to draw up contracts for everybody! And this guy, he’s not a Harvard graduate, Axl. He’s just a guy, just a little guy, who sings, is talented. But man, he turned into this fucking maniac. And I did, too, but it was a different kind of maniac. I was paranoid about the business aspect – freaking out going ‘Where’s all the money?’”

- Izzy Stradlin'

You did the research and deserve a like of some sort. 

Media have a lot of power, the journalist isn't a powerless poor guy while Slash/GNR is the big bad wolf. The media's power is much bigger than Slash or GNR's. It's normal and smart they try to protect themselves.

And questions about Perla are lame. That's none of our business at all.

How are you even supposed to measure whether an interview is causing GNR to lose money? If Axl reads something Slash said in an interview (whether taken out of context or not) and decides to break up the band because of it, it's not the interview in itself that is causing them to lose money but rather Axl's reaction to it. If it came down to that and they tried to enforce the contract and sue the magazine for the millions lost, I'd like to think they'd be laughed out of court.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

As a GNR fan who wants the dirt on what happened between Axl and Slash this whole past 25 years definitely I am bummed lol

But I can't blame the dude.  Between him and Axl basically agreeing that the media played a big part in a lot of the feud (according to Slash), and his whole legal issues with his dramatic ex-wife divorce proceedings I would probably do the same thing he is if I was in that situation

2 hours ago, Scream of the Butterfly said:

How are you even supposed to measure whether an interview is causing GNR to lose money? If Axl reads something Slash said in an interview (whether taken out of context or not) and decides to break up the band because of it, it's not the interview in itself that is causing them to lose money but rather Axl's reaction to it. If it came down to that and they tried to enforce the contract and sue the magazine for the millions lost, I'd like to think they'd be laughed out of court.

I don't know if this contract has any similarities to the one they had issued briefly in 1991 (I posted a link to that story on the previous page), but in that one there was a fixed fine ($100,000) for violation of terms leading to unspecified "damage" the article could cause:

5. [...] "Since it is impractical to calculate the damages which a breach by you would cause us, you agree that in the event of any breach of any of the foregoing provisions, we shall be entitled to liquidated damages in the sum of One Hundred Thousand Dollars ($100,000.00)."

Edited by Blackstar
  • Haha 1

A lot of celebrities get the questions sent to them. They prepare the answers in collaboration with a P.R. person. So everything is carefully wording and they avoid controversy. This way to do interviews has been going on for a long time. Maybe Slash should try to do interviews this way. Instead of asking the reporter to sign a contract just in case GN'R might be facing some risk to lose money.

9 hours ago, Rovim said:

I don't think either side did anything wrong. the interviewer was just doing his job, asked some aggressive questions to get more clicks or whatever and Slash was doing his job and tried to protect his thing and also promote his new album and tour with his solo thing. it's just a part of the game I suppose.

it would be boring if no one had the balls to ask anything interesting and the contract thing is fair game when you put into context the lucrative tour and past media problems axl and slash had. slash used the media to his advantage in the past it seems so no one is innocent here. it's just business.

Slash did sign the contracts afterall. 

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I don't know if this contract has any similarities to the one they had issued briefly in 1991 (I posted a link to that story on the previous page), but in that one there was a fixed fine ($100,000) for violation of terms leading to unspecified "damage" the article could cause:

5. [...] "Since it is impractical to calculate the damages which a breach by you would cause us, you agree that in the event of any breach of any of the foregoing provisions, we shall be entitled to liquidated damages in the sum of One Hundred Thousand Dollars ($100,000.00)."

Shouldn't we know at this point which magazines and journalists payed for GN'R break up in the late 90s? :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Slash forces journalists to sign pre-interview contracts.

*Fans: "Must be Axl!

Well, Axl is the one whos started doing this during the 90s so its only logical people assume it is an Axl thing as Slash have always been cool with the press.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

8 minutes ago, default_ said:

Well, Axl is the one whos started doing this during the 90s so its only logical people assume it is an Axl thing as Slash have always been cool with the press.

That thing in the 90s lasted only about 3 months, and of course they knew that it couldn't do anything about articles written about the band irrespective of interviews. It was basically about getting certain magazines off their back, so that they would either stop asking for interviews or comply with the terms of that contract. Interestingly enough, Alan Niven, unlike the label, appeared then to be very supportive of that policy.