Live Like a Suicide

Rough Mixes CD #1 Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

Unpopular opinion here, but the only song which is an improvement to what ended up on the 2008 album is the title track, which sounds much meaner and more punkish. TWAT, Prostitute and Catcher especially all sound much better on the actual album.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Fuck Bob Ezrin 

He wanted a producers credit, and did what would be producers do. Create a need for his "expertise". Too bad his opinion swayed both Jimmy Iovine and Axl to make a terrible mistake. 

• Sad 1

btw. the blues (ver. 1) from the other CD that leaked yesterday is way better. 

Edited by Creed

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

Unpopular opinion here, but the only song which is an improvement to what ended up on the 2008 album is the title track, which sounds much meaner and more punkish. TWAT, Prostitute and Catcher especially all sound much better on the actual album.

you havent heard Riad then. thats the wildest and punkish shit on the whole CD.

Not sure what people are hearing with "Rhiad" on this CD, but I preferred the earlier leak with those weird alien blaster sounds high in the mix during the intro. The synth video-game style sound. I don't know what exactly to call it. But to me, that version of Rhiad was the MAC DADDY.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

I can understand twat and prostitute. I even agree on twat. But man this catcher is infinitely better. And so is The Blues imo.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheSlashrose said:

Funny, Where is the This I Love and Scraped demos? 

This I Love was a song made during the UYI tour. Only one demo tape of it existed and Axl had it destroyed when the Chinese Democracy sessions started in 1998. He made sure it was destroyed before a backup could be made (the engineer at the time, Dave Dominguez, confirmed this). It wasn’t until like 2007 or so when Robin Finck convinced Axl to bring that song back from the dead at the very last minute (at least that’s what Axl said in the 2008 forum chats).

im assuming Scraped was another Buckethead improv recorded some time between 2001-2004 that Axl then added lyrics to much later, probably also close to the album’s completion, like This I Love and Shcakler’s.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

4 hours ago, kok said:

Unfortunatelly no vocals or Buckethead on the leaked electric KOHD

4 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah it’s a bummer :( guess Bucket wasn’t in the studio that day or something.

4 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

The date of the disc is 10/8/01 - there were reports Buckethead got kind of fucked up by 9/11, so maybe he took a month off

Buckethead plays the solo and some of the "whale" sounds (kinda like Estranged before the second solo) in KOHD. It's almost the same as he played in the 2001/02 live versions.

17 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

This I Love was a song made during the UYI tour. Only one demo tape of it existed and Axl had it destroyed when the Chinese Democracy sessions started in 1998. He made sure it was destroyed before a backup could be made (the engineer at the time, Dave Dominguez, confirmed this). It wasn’t until like 2007 or so when Robin Finck convinced Axl to bring that song back from the dead at the very last minute (at least that’s what Axl said in the 2008 forum chats).

im assuming Scraped was another Buckethead improv recorded some time between 2001-2004 that Axl then added lyrics to much later, probably also close to the album’s completion, like This I Love and Shcakler’s.

Curious how the TIL story even went down .. If that tape had been destroyed for that long how did Finck even know or remember about it?

3 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Curious how the TIL story even went down .. If that tape had been destroyed for that long how did Finck even know or remember about it?

Maybe he read about it on the internet like everyone else! :lol:

So looking at the Dates I still think this is the Roy Thomas Baker work post those two 2001 shows (HoB on NYE and RIR3). So I believe this is Brain on drums but can’t be too certain on that front.

EDIT: No it’s not! It’s the work that was done in 2000 - sorry being an idiot. But it does sound very different to the 1999 leaks:

This first disc sounds very like the Illusions meets queen, versus the 1999 stuff which sounded much more like the Industrial sound Axl talked about.

Those after Bucket stuff, looking at the leaks the second CD could well be all Bucket/Brain demo!

Edited by life_247

3 minutes ago, Beto 22 said:

Can anyone tell if the drums are all Josh Fresse or some of the songs has Brain on it?

Bit of confusion on this point. I need to listen to it again versus the 99 Freese version (It leaked first). Brain and Bucket joined together in 2000 as both Finck and Freese left when their contracts ran out in 1999 (Freese at least said they were all under contract for 2 years 97-99 and he had to decide to renew or go and do something else).

Just now, life_247 said:

Bit of confusion on this point. I need to listen to it again versus the 99 Freese version (It leaked first). Brain and Bucket joined together in 2000 as both Finck and Freese left when their contracts ran out in 1999 (Freese at least said they were all under contract for 2 years 97-99 and he had to decide to renew or go and do something else).

Yeah... I know that Bucket arrived late 99, early 00... But I'm almost sure that Brain joined after the first half of 2000