Jump to content
Dcrazed212

What if GNR never split up and released 5 or 6 albums ?

Recommended Posts

Duff in some radio interview mentions that on their first tour (the punk one to Seattle for one show) Axl was already working on November Rain and they already had, like, Don't Cry or something. If you look up Hollywood Roses, you'll find that they had a song called Anything Goes. Axl in his Trunk radio appearance talks about releasing the Welcome to the Jungle video three times and that It's So Easy was an all but rewritten West song. GNR had a poster that says "The band that wouldn't die!". The secret to GNR (I suspect) is that Appetite and many of the most popular songs probably took years of tweaking to get right, involving stuff like playing different versions for small venues a bunch. Being a massive, popular, touring act just would not accommodate that. They'd run out of creative steam and break up anyway. In my humble opinion the only reason Metallica didn't at any point is because metal bands are just less likely to break up, especially if they are successful but that's just a baseless assumption. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, --DEA-- said:

I'm glad they broke up. Just look at Metallica.. What a joke after the black album...or maybe even after ... and justice for all. 

If Guns had kept going I don't think they would be as huge as they are today. 

I wouldn't call them a joke necessarily, but close to it at times. I agree, GNR played their hand better. Take a break from the big stuff, then come back for a huge $$$ making tour. And you never have to make SKOM

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, There'sAHeavenAboveU said:

I wouldn't call them a joke necessarily, but close to it at times. I agree, GNR played their hand better. Take a break from the big stuff, then come back for a huge $$$ making tour. And you never have to make SKOM

No not a joke but you know what i mean. As you say. Take a break when it's bad vibe. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been discussed many times. But, gnr remained a big name because of the inadvertent hype that Axl created (late starts, riots, rants, reclusive nature, 13 years for one album) as well as the fact that they will forever have one of the most popular debut albums in history.

If they stuck around, it would all depend on the quality of the music. Some bands like Def Leppard struggled on, playing to smaller crowds during that time only to climb back up the poll on the mid 00s others like Metallica stayed a steady trajectory and hit even bigger successes. Difference between those is Metallica was cool, Leppard weren't. In the 90s GNR were struggling with the cool factor too, alt bands/fans were blasting them for the "dinosaur rock" and diva / grandiose nature of what they do. I think with the right album they could have steered the ship from the rocks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If GNR never broke up and released 5 or 6 albums after CD, instead of being replaced by Slash and Duff to become a nostalgia act, that would have been fuckin' awesome.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im sure if appetite or illusion eras stayed together someone would of died.

I would of liked the reunion of slash and duff to have been 2006. We could of had a few more albums in the bag by now.

2006 we may also of had izzy join the band for those performances he did back then or who knows maybe he would of been more willing to join as a full time member back then with the other 2 commiting.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, vloors said:

Im sure if appetite or illusion eras stayed together someone would of died.

I would of liked the reunion of slash and duff to have been 2006. We could of had a few more albums in the bag by now.

2006 we may also of had izzy join the band for those performances he did back then or who knows maybe he would of been more willing to join as a full time member back then with the other 2 commiting.

2006 would have been great, but if it did happen we’d probably still be waiting for an album and wouldn’t have even gotten CD.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know I'm probably the minority here....but I still feel there is no need for a new album. Like I heard a guy say....the best films you watch are those that leave you wanting more, not those that are good but have 30 minutes too much footage. Sometimes it's best to leave extras on the cutting room floor, and just because you have extra music, doesn't necessarily mean you need to release it either....as shown by some of leaks that came out this past year.

To me, a I feel a new album would be akin to "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" at this point. Yeah, everyone was psyched at the time to get a new movie with familiar faces, but reflecting up on it, there's really nothing too memorable about it now, and we got what turned out to be the worst entry in the series.

If we get anything "new"......If anything....since the band claims to have so much footage of the UYI Tour...piece the best of that footage together into a documentary with current commentary from those involved. I'd much rather watch something like this, that can also shed more light on the changes the band went through, and the "state" everyone was in at the time. That's probably never going to happen, but, could be a great piece of rock history if put together. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, papashaun said:

Sometimes it's best to leave extras on the cutting room floor, and just because you have extra music, doesn't necessarily mean you need to release it either....as shown by some of leaks that came out this past year. 

What do you mean? You didn't like the leaks?

To me the leaks were pretty much the best "new" music I've heard from any band since Chinese Democracy.

So hell yeah, I want new music, since it's obviously going to be good music.

I still want a new GOOD Indiana Jones movie too. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was not it.

So my point is that I want good stuff. Not bad stuff. And the next GNR album should be good based on the leaks.

Indiana Jones 5 is supposed to come out at some point too, but there's really no reason to expect it to be good. It's made by Disney after all and they messed up Star Wars. Not that Lucas and Spielberg would have done a good job with the last one either.

Then again it's much easier to make good rock song than it is to make a good Indiana Jones film.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The “why release new music if it’s not going to be as good as Appetite” argument is dumb af. It doesn’t have to be as good as Appetite. Just good enough to make it’s fans happy.

Black Sabbath’s “13”, Metallica’s “Hardwired... To Self-Destruct”, KISS’s “Monster”, etc would like to have a word with you.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like your topic and I think everyone has good points.    I said in mine ,it would have depended on ifs, many ifs.. First if, if they all by Izzy  schedule, would have had to be clean and sober.   Some of you mentioned  some of them would have died.                                                                       Actually, old topic, but some were thisclose and should have died.  Comatose Izzy. Followed by Suicide Steve. Duff , it was just a miracle.                                                                               It is too bad as a band  ,these 4  pissed away their prime as GnR. THEY ALL DID AS GNR. They had a proper tour tour or show as the original 5 together.                                                               Clean n Sober and a 5th album in  mid to late 1990s could have done it for them to see if they just had it as a band together.with Matt Sorum.                                                                      Changing your topic a bit.  Things happen when you look back, even your life, happens as it is supposed to happen. It is already written that that way. Fate, luck, decisions and if you believe, Gods plan.                                     Izzy became a rich guy, healthy, and works at whatever he does in his personal life, personal business. He must be working. Music business not the only job , work there is. Steve got his life right and his lost was Matts gain x2. GnR and VR. Then he has his own group. Slash and Duff, fairly clean n sober,  struck oil with VR.  Only 2 cds, right. Izzy, lol, the Izzy Job Agency, Slash school chum. DAVE K won big being in VR.  Izzy JobAgency gave Flotus a life changing, financially set life today.Frank found the deal ss Flotus.                                                        Axl nerded Slash and Duff to a lesser degree to make it work. Today, GnR ,of the 3 onwers- members  , is a nostalgic act. 5 years ago they none thought or knew  it would be going on 5 years on their way 600 million profitable record breaking tour.   

Edited by Amaya

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was there ever a thread here , what would have happened , you think, if the original 5 had not met?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GNRfanMILO said:

The “why release new music if it’s not going to be as good as Appetite” argument is dumb af. It doesn’t have to be as good as Appetite. Just good enough to make it’s fans happy.

Black Sabbath’s “13”, Metallica’s “Hardwired... To Self-Destruct”, KISS’s “Monster”, etc would like to have a word with you.

I agree with you and @papashaun.  The rumors of new music is all there is. Slash n Duff have real personal lives. I yhink yhey are close enough snd frienldy snd I believe Slash and Axl are working friends. Friends you just have at work, but not outside of work. Duff and Slash have outside music business of their own and personal, other financial work, business ,no doubt.   Izzy is not really frirnds with them,  in my mind, and he is not a member- owner in GnR.  No need to bring in someone, another party.  and divide the loot.  Duff and Slash can write, just have a vibe. Something called VR is proof.                                                                                                        My point is  1. new music takes time being together, The Big 3, and  they dont have that kind of time or need to do so.                                                         2. Finanially, that is alot to sort out. 3. Their nostalgic , record breaking tour grossed over 500 million. Why mess with success on it continues on to year 5. The audiences dont know new music or want new music. They dont , won't know those songs. The audiences know and want to hear the hits. 4. New age. Digital music.   GnR was from the age of records and records stores.  5. There are no rock ststions here playing new music. It is classic rock.                                             6. Be remembered like you said, for bad songs, no.  6. They are married men with adult kids, Duffs are adults. Slash step daughters are adults. They are not, cannot write AFD to UYIs songs. No WTTJ. They , lol, dont live in no jungle . They are rich old men. Their songs would be about what, politics, money, being a parent,  life,  being happily married ballads. 

Edited by Amaya
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Amaya said:

Was there ever a thread here , what would have happened , you think, if the original 5 had not met?

We wouldn't have this forum, Axl would've keep singing Prowler and become fade up before 90s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2020 at 3:02 PM, soon said:

I feel that the stuff that made them great is also what made them break up.

Would love to have a Guns version of Izzy's Baby Rann with Axl in full rasp "baby ran away to Vietnam and my dog just salivates!" :headbang:

Yeah, GNR had too many problems. They would all have to stop taking drugs and quit drinking to have stayed together. I think God Forbid more of them would have died if they continued as they did.  I think music would have suffered after a while just like the live stage shows. All their demons made it hard to keep going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They would be kinda like Ac/dc maybe? Axl wanted to do movie soundtracks, so I think gnr songs would have a lot of apperances in Action or Superhero movies. I don't think they would've released any mediocore albums, because afd5 always sort of clicked. On the bad side, the constant pressure could've taken a toll on their physical and mental state. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

2006 would have been great, but if it did happen we’d probably still be waiting for an album and wouldn’t have even gotten CD.

I had forgotten about the CD release date. It would definately of been further delayed. 2010 may have been a better period for a threeunion. Axl also sounded great then too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Zinia_29 said:

They would be kinda like Ac/dc maybe? Axl wanted to do movie soundtracks, so I think gnr songs would have a lot of apperances in Action or Superhero movies. I don't think they would've released any mediocore albums, because afd5 always sort of clicked. On the bad side, the constant pressure could've taken a toll on their physical and mental state. 

I think he wanted to score/compose original movie music such as what Trent Reznor is currently doing. Stuff like gone girl, facebook, birdbox. Music that will fit with a scene in the movie. Not necessarily full length songs you would listen to outside of the film.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Amaya said:

I like your topic and I think everyone has good points.    I said in mine ,it would have depended on ifs, many ifs.. First if, if they all by Izzy  schedule, would have had to be clean and sober.   Some of you mentioned  some of them would have died.                                                                       Actually, old topic, but some were thisclose and should have died.  Comatose Izzy. Followed by Suicide Steve. Duff , it was just a miracle.                                                                               It is too bad as a band  ,these 4  pissed away their prime as GnR. THEY ALL DID AS GNR. They had a proper tour tour or show as the original 5 together.                                                               Clean n Sober and a 5th album in  mid to late 1990s could have done it for them to see if they just had it as a band together.with Matt Sorum.                                                                      Changing your topic a bit.  Things happen when you look back, even your life, happens as it is supposed to happen. It is already written that that way. Fate, luck, decisions and if you believe, Gods plan.                                     Izzy became a rich guy, healthy, and works at whatever he does in his personal life, personal business. He must be working. Music business not the only job , work there is. Steve got his life right and his lost was Matts gain x2. GnR and VR. Then he has his own group. Slash and Duff, fairly clean n sober,  struck oil with VR.  Only 2 cds, right. Izzy, lol, the Izzy Job Agency, Slash school chum. DAVE K won big being in VR.  Izzy JobAgency gave Flotus a life changing, financially set life today.Frank found the deal ss Flotus.                                                        Axl nerded Slash and Duff to a lesser degree to make it work. Today, GnR ,of the 3 onwers- members  , is a nostalgic act. 5 years ago they none thought or knew  it would be going on 5 years on their way 600 million profitable record breaking tour.   

I think duff and slash knew that any sort of reunion would be a major pay day. But the key to that was one other person.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sydney Fan said:

I think duff and slash knew that any sort of reunion would be a major pay day. But the key to that was one other person.....

.....Dizzy

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, vloors said:

I had forgotten about the CD release date. It would definately of been further delayed. 2010 may have been a better period for a threeunion. Axl also sounded great then too.

He was pretty bloated in 2010 but still sounded ok. He looked bad ass in 06

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well probably they will have phases. Like U2, David Bowie or The Rolling Stones. And off course some album will be great some not such much but will find audience to defend it. So we will have much more different era material to talk about. We actually never have opportunity to listen maturing of GnR.  It would be fun to watch.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×