Tour Lithographs and show specific artwork

Anyway, since some crazy stuff happened in this thread, I simply want to make one last point, and that's the distinction between the "homage" and the "swipe."

This have been going on decades in the world of Comic Books, and movie and rock posters, too, I imagine.

Hell, half of the God of NITL lithos himself Mr. Buhler has homaged dozens of other works.  But there's a big difference.  He never claims they're HIS.  He acknowledges the hard work of the dozens of artists that came before him to create those iconic images.

In the comics world, one of the most memorable cover in recent memory was Todd McFarlane's Spider-Man number one.  It's been spoofed and parodied dozens of times, several by Todd himself.  There's just something about Spidey crouching in his own webbing that makes people wanna copy it.  (Being one of the best-selling comics in history surely can't hurt!)

Here's a recent example, with some Joe Schmoe copying it for a Batman isssue.

todd1.jpg

Notice the part I circled in green.  He's ACKNOWLEDGING the artist and giving him credit.  This work was done "AFTER McFARLANE."

So that brings us to SWIPERS, or tracers, or just out and out thieves.   These guys take published work, trace it with a lightbox, barely make any changes, and pass it off as their own.  And the worst part?  Not a single nod or thank you to the artist.

One of the most notorious swipers in the industry is one-time darling comics superstar from 90s, Rob Liefeld.  In this infamous swap, he even copies the panel grids on the next page!!

image-12.jpg

So there.  I've said my piece.  I'm not naming names.  All the evidence is out there so you can decide for yourself if the lithograph in question was a harmless "homage" (with no thank you to the original artists) or just a blatant swipe.

In the comic book world, a swiper that gets caught red-handed too many times ends up on a blacklist and nobody hires them anymore.   Just saying.

Edited by estrangedtwat
  • Like 3

On 8/25/2021 at 9:46 AM, rocknroll41 said:

Is this official? Or fanmade?

In reference that that insane quality coffee table book (more like museum quality reference piece) that reproduces every single litho of the NITL, as well as info about the art, the artists, the inspirations; I feel it's an injustice to call it a "fanmade" item.

To me that implies someone googling low-rez pics and slapping them together in a cheap DIY fashion.

At the same time, despite the level and care that went into this one of a kind product, it can't legally be called an "official" product either.  Neither the band nor the management has ever publicly endorsed this.

But it seems like a real disservice to just call this thing "fan-made."  I think it skirts the lines between fan made and "unofficial."  These are not just images grabbed off youtube.  Every single lithograph from the tour has been painstakingly physically scanned at high rez for the best possible fidelity in this book, as well as hundreds of items of history and trivia along the way.

The best part of this book is that exists at all, and it's gorgeous and HUGE and imposing, and has one hell of a presence when you see it.

The sad thing is, unless someone has a change of heart as far as management or the people in charge of merch, we're never gonna have a chance to own one.  (And trust me, to own it properly, the way it's meant to be seen, it's not just a cheap paperback you could order off amazon!)

It's an absolutely stunning labor of love from our "amaninJapan" and something we used to dream about several years ago.   Well, he went ahead and made that a reality, just to prove it could be done and done RIGHT!!   Maybe someday the rest of us might get a chance.....here's hoping!

2 hours ago, estrangedtwat said:

In reference that that insane quality coffee table book (more like museum quality reference piece) that reproduces every single litho of the NITL, as well as info about the art, the artists, the inspirations; I feel it's an injustice to call it a "fanmade" item.

To me that implies someone googling low-rez pics and slapping them together in a cheap DIY fashion.

At the same time, despite the level and care that went into this one of a kind product, it can't legally be called an "official" product either.  Neither the band nor the management has ever publicly endorsed this.

But it seems like a real disservice to just call this thing "fan-made."  I think it skirts the lines between fan made and "unofficial."  These are not just images grabbed off youtube.  Every single lithograph from the tour has been painstakingly physically scanned at high rez for the best possible fidelity in this book, as well as hundreds of items of history and trivia along the way.

The best part of this book is that exists at all, and it's gorgeous and HUGE and imposing, and has one hell of a presence when you see it.

The sad thing is, unless someone has a change of heart as far as management or the people in charge of merch, we're never gonna have a chance to own one.  (And trust me, to own it properly, the way it's meant to be seen, it's not just a cheap paperback you could order off amazon!)

It's an absolutely stunning labor of love from our "amaninJapan" and something we used to dream about several years ago.   Well, he went ahead and made that a reality, just to prove it could be done and done RIGHT!!   Maybe someday the rest of us might get a chance.....here's hoping!

The book is stunning. The art direction and materials utilized are peerless. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PizzaFace said:

So for the TLDR, is the standard procedure to snag one still to show up a few hours early and find a merch truck or kiosk? Haven’t been to a show since the 2017 Little Rock one and unsure if things have changed. Thanks in advance.

At least 5 hours beforehand if there’s an outside merch truck. 

3 hours ago, PizzaFace said:

So for the TLDR, is the standard procedure to snag one still to show up a few hours early and find a merch truck or kiosk? Haven’t been to a show since the 2017 Little Rock one and unsure if things have changed. Thanks in advance.

The merch truck in San Jose did not have lithos for sale. 

On 8/27/2021 at 12:31 PM, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Now compare this to the hidious San Jose litho. Night and day

A couple hockey guys I play with went on Ebay the next day the buy it because they love the Sharks theme. I'm guessing many people at the show said the same thing. I would've lost my mind if they did a Blackhawks themed litho instead of the Jordan one they did here in 2017. 

1 hour ago, GoBucky said:

A couple hockey guys I play with went on Ebay the next day the buy it because they love the Sharks theme. I'm guessing many people at the show said the same thing. I would've lost my mind if they did a Blackhawks themed litho instead of the Jordan one they did here in 2017. 

Many people didn't like it not because it was Sharks theme but rather because of the look of it. It's hideous... The Columbus hockey design was going to be awesome...