New album this year rumour

1 minute ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I'm pretty sure Izzy has no writing credit on any 5 o' clock track, it was all Gilby/Slash. Maybe he did have one on one of the 3 unreleased outtakes but theres no way to know currently.

And I'm also not sure Dave "helped" with the writing, the band veered into some weird modern rock direction instead of the blues rock/zeppelin thing that was present with the Izzy demos for VR, a sound they had originally intended.

Oops, I thought he did get credit for writing something on there. Maybe they simply didn't give him credit for it like they possibly did in VR for "Do It for the Kids", which has the same riff (with a different transition) on Izzy's song "Bomb" from Like a Dog. I remember Slash iirc saying that they changed their stuff to fit Scott's dynamic (or something like that). I like rock music from all corners, so I liked Contraband and Libertad. VR definetly sounds nothing like GNR to me (nor did I want them to), but I dont think that's a bad thing.

What weird modern rock sound do you mean specifically? Like some of the chord progressions for the choruses, or the main riffs.

1 minute ago, Mendez said:

Oops, I thought he did get credit for writing something on there. Maybe they simply didn't give him credit for it like they possibly did in VR for "Do It for the Kids", which has the same riff (with a different transition) on Izzy's song "Bomb" from Like a Dog. I remember Slash iirc saying that they changed their stuff to fit Scott's dynamic (or something like that). I like rock music from all corners, so I liked Contraband and Libertad. VR definetly sounds nothing like GNR to me (nor did I want them to), but I dont think that's a bad thing.

What weird modern rock sound do you mean specifically? Like some of the chord progressions for the choruses, or the main riffs.

Contraband and especially Libertad are such different guitar work that I would never have expected from Slash at the time, I can't really say what's missing but it sounded nothing like his riffs in either Snakepit album before that. Check out this VR demo with Izzy they did before Dave and Scott came in (it's at the bottom of the first post), it's a very different musical direction than what ended up being Contraband.

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Contraband and especially Libertad are such different guitar work that I would never have expected from Slash at the time, I can't really say what's missing but it sounded nothing like his riffs in either Snakepit album before that. Check out this VR demo with Izzy they did before Dave and Scott came in (it's at the bottom of the first post), it's a very different musical direction than what ended up being Contraband.

how can you be sure izzys on it?

"Guys it should be like a double album"
"nah man Axl has tons of songs a triple album"
"AXL IS GOING TO DIRECT A MOVIE AS HIS NEXT ALBUM AND RUN FOR PRESIDENT"

....GNR should try getting 1 song.....1 single song released first before people start talking about triple and double albums. Who was the last person to release a triple album that wasn't a compilation? We're talking about a band fronted by a guy who was dragged kicking and screaming to release one album nearly 10 years go and hasn't released anything since because his life is so hard and he is constantly attracting lawsuits/is too busy penning essays hoping that ruthless dictators are thinking "man I was gonna commit all these human rights violations because I am a bad man but this front man from an 80s ballad band told me it wasn't cool so maybe I should reconsider my life choices."

Seriously......triple album? Come on. Try a best of with 1 new song as a start. Maybe a 40 minute back to basics rock album. 

I'm confident that so long as Axl doesn't slip in the shower and die, we'll get a new album sometime in the next decade or two, and I get that it is fun to be positive and get excited, but it seems a bit unrealistic to talk about double or triple albums.

We'll get a triple album when Axl Rose croaks and Fernando needs a new pair of jet skis and in turn releases the 3 disc Chinese Democracy box set that has 32 revisions of IRS. 

Edited by gunsnchalupas
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Rovim said:

I, for one, am excited about possibly hearing what the Slash/Fortus combo comes up with.

Second. 
Fortus is great, I didnt really care for him in GNR cause I'm not really into all the virtuoso stuff and he came from grunge/alternative rock but then the second Dead Daisies album came out and turned to be my fav album released in the last 10 years! For my surprise the guy is credited for most of the songs.

I usually dont care for AOR but that album is simple, legit, inspired, emotional straight forward Rock N' Roll and doesnt sound generic at all. Just great. I'm really looking forward for what these guys will be able to do together. 

Plus: Dizzy is also credited for some cool songs in the second Dead Daisies album. 

(While Lock N' Load, Dead Daisies song composed by Slash is one of the most generic songs they have... :wacko:)

Edited by default_

On 27/12/2016 at 9:53 PM, Tom-Ass said:

My biggest fear is that the bulk would be leftover Chinese material.. Whether you like it or not, the shit doesn't sound anything like Guns and the majority of it was horrible to my ears.  That being said, I am sure Axl has a couple good songs in there out of the bunch that would come out pretty cool with Slash and Duff's contributions. I am sure Slash has a boatload of material.. So many questions.. I don't want to hear Fortus anywhere near an album. I do not like his playing style at all. I hate the nuances he tries to bring to the songs on stage and have no desire to hear him on an album.. Slash did a superb job playing both the leads and rhythm tracks on his last album. I would rather hear that than anything Fortus tries to bring to the table. Then there are the other two hacks.. Most agree that Frank blows.. Hopefully Melissa is just a touring "musician" because the thought of her contribution to a Gn'R album is a bit cringe worthy.  There is no need for chasing the outdated 90's industrial sound anymore. 

This line up leaves a lot to be desired.. The only songwriters I want to see on any new music are Axl/Slash and Duff.. That is obviously if they are never able to work anything out with Izzy. Which at this point doesn't look like is going to happen.

Fair enough, but you're chasing the early 90s blues based gnr and that time is gone too. At the very least the experimental music that may or may not be recorded is something new and different. 

As for the "hacks" Fortus can play rhythm guitar as good as most. You don't like him? Ok! The guy is loved by many, fans, other bands/musicians... Most people agree that he is a great guitar player, BUT he isn't Izzy and he wasn't a hired hand during the UYI era so for that reason you and a few others have decided he isn't a good guitar player. 

• Like 1

On 27/12/2016 at 6:53 PM, Tom-Ass said:

I don't want to hear Fortus anywhere near an album. I do not like his playing style at all. I hate the nuances he tries to bring to the songs on stage and have no desire to hear him on an album..

And the answer is:

13 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

he isn't Izzy and he wasn't a hired hand during the UYI era so for that reason you and a few others have decided he isn't a good guitar player

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

On a different note, I went to the Lock 'N' Load video on YouTube to read the comments expecting people to be talking about how big of a generic piece of shit it is but they actually love it. So weird :shrugs:

fortus and slash is a deadly combo, use your fuckin ears everyone! he plays cleaner and tighter than slashes growling jube's or jcm-800s but can mix it up and even venture into ridiculous buckethead/bumble turf when need be, all while keeping his own style. sticks to the nice pentatonic scales during improvs while making it not sound cliche or like mindless wanking, and uses chicken picking and shit as well.. overall a great guitarist and i never paid much attention to him until NITL (the mix for his rhythm playing was low in nu-guns), but he's killing it!

• Like 3

On 2016-12-27 at 4:53 PM, Tom-Ass said:

This line up leaves a lot to be desired.. The only songwriters I want to see on any new music are Axl/Slash and Duff.. That is obviously if they are never able to work anything out with Izzy. Which at this point doesn't look like is going to happen.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall and hear some of the private conversations the three have had regarding recording material.

I'm just hard pressed to believe that Duff, most especially, wouldn't understand the dynamic and importance of Izzy's songwriting ability. Now, wanting Izzy to write with them and Izzy actually writing with them I would suppose would be two entirely different circumstances. I'm really hard-pressed to believe Slash and Duff would be gung-ho to record material with Fortus and Ferrer. You're telling me if Slash and Duff has the choice between using Matt Sorum for recording sessions or Frank Ferrer, they're going with Frank?

I just don't see it outside of placating Axl and keeping this money-making machine alive.

I like Frank's drums on Chi dem. That's all I know of him consciously. I've seen him animaling on the drums live. He looks bad ass with shades on. 

My guess is Axl has some material from CD era and they will write new stuff. Soundwise I'd be tempted to fold back between UYI and CD. Having Fortus and Slash on guitar will really keep it hard rock. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

What if the Seeker (studio with Slash, Duff and current lineup) was released as a single?

Yea or Nay Forum World?

I say Yea.

Yea!

And I am not just saying it because I am desperate for anything to be released. I am one of the folks who like the Seeker.

**I would, of course, prefer original material as I am sure most would. But I wouldn't turn down the Seeker. **

Edited by sanity_lost
added disclaimer
  • Like 4

Guns N' Roses could release Get On It and Never Let Go at anytime now. One fast and furious and energetic song, one big, chock-full nostalgic ballad. Then one day, something will be appearing to us on iTunes for free, Guns N' Roses: Iron's Wrath of the Machine and AC/DC: Horn's Up.

7 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

I'd love a studio version of The Seeker. It kicks ass. 

That said imagine the headlines - Guns N' Roses is back... with a cover of a song by The Who...

Also they'd have to pay royalties.

Not gonna happen.

When did Wasted take over your account?

Sir Wasted if you don't mind.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

BUT he isn't Izzy and he wasn't a hired hand during the UYI era so for that reason you and a few others have decided he isn't a good guitar player. 

That just isn't true in my case. When this whole reunion started I thought Fortus would be the one that fit the mold the most out of the non originals. The music is what matters most to be and I just don't like what he brings to the table. Aside from Axl's voice on some songs Fortus is the main reason I have to shut off half the You tube videos of songs from these shows. Axl get's a pass and more than makes up for it most of the time.  I am sure there are some that don't like Fortus solely because he isn't Izzy but not me.. I just don't care for his playing and find he detracts from songs way more often than adding anything positive. I like him best when he is getting overshadowed by the other guys and I can't notice him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Silent Jay said:

Guns N' Roses could release Get On It and Never Let Go at anytime now. One fast and furious and energetic song, one big, chock-full nostalgic ballad. Then one day, something will be appearing to us on iTunes for free, Guns N' Roses: Iron's Wrath of the Machine and AC/DC: Horn's Up.

shitposting I see 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

What if the Seeker (studio with Slash, Duff and current lineup) was released as a single?

Yea or Nay Forum World?

I say Yea.

Why spend money on a studio just to release another cover? Waste of talent imo.

If a cover of The Seeker is part of a full album without being a single, then yeah, why not?

12 hours ago, smoking guns said:

If they record the Seeker I will never go to another GNR show again. That song is pure rubbish and Axl sounds like a neutered Cat on that shit. Horrible song. 

hahah. I have never been a fan of the Who or that song but for some reason I like GnR's version. I think Axl nails it. 

• Like 3