New album this year rumour

16 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

What if the Seeker (studio with Slash, Duff and current lineup) was released as a single?

Yea or Nay Forum World?

I say Yea.

Yea. Believe it or not I love the seeker. It doesn't have a normal rock n roll rythem to it. The kicks don't change up too much. I demand a recorded version!!!

15 hours ago, smoking guns said:

If they record the Seeker I will never go to another GNR show again. That song is pure rubbish and Axl sounds like a neutered Cat on that shit. Horrible song. 

I think he sounds great in it. His voice in the song go together well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fanfzero said:

Wonder if they decided to open a show with Nightrain if it would still have the same energy than back in the day (As it is the first song, Axl wouldn't be tired).

He's 54 not 84...give him a chance. He's still got plenty of energy, just needs to readjust to life on the road again. :lol:

Edited by BlueJean Baby
typo

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Agree 100% with both of you. The solo in Nightrain and Rocket Queen are commonly discussed. Nightrain still kicks ass overall but the performance of Rocket Queen just blows. Disappointing as that is pretty much my favorite Gn'R song.  I need to add Don't Cry and Used To Love Her to this. I hate the way he plays rhythm on Used To Love her.  He tries to get to fancy with it and changes the whole vibe.. I can't stand the way he carries the little jam intro of Don't Cry throughout the first couple verses while infusing a whammy bar into the song. Don't Cry doesn't need a damn whammy bar. He may have stopped doing that when they brought in the Zeppelin intro. Which he is too loud on by the way. Some people blame the sound guy, I blame his ego. His guitar continues to often be too loud.

I like his guitar volume level. Its equally as loud as Slashs which is how it should be. Otherwise youd have a very empty mix, the Live Era version of Rocket Queen being an example, where they deleted gilby and replaced it with a fucking organ. For rocket queen, i think his solo would be fine, but pacing in these live versions is a major issue. Theres too many "breaks" between. I actually also thought Rocket Queen had this same problem when Slash would play it with his solo band. It should be seeamless. However when i saw guns this tour, both times rocket queen were equally as awesome. Its not a problem at all when you're there.

As for The Seeker, that was a song that was actually very well received at the shows I went to.

Edited by Mendez

19 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

He's 54 not 84...give him a chance. He's still got plenty of energy, just needs to readjust to life on the road again. :lol:

He just has to use the "ending of patience voice" instead of the knockin on heaven's door voice on that one. I know he can do Nightrain exactly like in 92 without any trouble.

19 minutes ago, Mendez said:

I like his guitar volume level. Its equally as loud as Slashs which is how it should be. Otherwise youd have a very empty mix, the Live Era version of Rocket Queen being an example, where they deleted gilby and replaced it with a fucking organ. For rocket queen, i think his solo would be fine, but pacing in these live versions is a major issue. Theres too many "breaks" between. I actually also thought Rocket Queen had this same problem when Slash would play it with his solo band. It should be seeamless. However when i saw guns this tour, both times rocket queen were equally as awesome. Its not a problem at all when you're there.

As for The Seeker, that was a song that was actually very well received at the shows I went to.

Well said. I just dislike Richard's KOHD wankfest. I understand some people are just not into his style. But I find no flaws with his rhythm playing and his leads on most of the tunes are tasteful. His sound complements what Slash is doing for the most part.

I don't get the feeling his playing or sound is in the way. It sounds full with only 2 guitar players. Fuller compared to Slash and Gilby. Fortus is just a much better guitar player compared to Gilby, but he has a different style.

He handles the old material with ease, as well as the Chinese tunes. Slash is still playing the vast majority of the solos, which is appropriate.

It's obvious it's a dream come true for Richard to play with Slash. Probably the highlight of his entire career. (Duff as well)

I think it's an advantage, cause if he is as excited as I think he is, he'll be motivated as fuck to make it work with Slash. I can totally imagine the combo live sound of Slash/Fortus being a potential highlight in a Guns album. He is talented enough to give Slash a great and solid foundation to work with and play off of. The sound of both of them in the studio could be mean as hell.

Edited by Rovim

I agree about Richard screwing Rocket Queen. His solo doesn't fit at all but what really annoys the shit out of me is how he won't play the fn' riff while Slash is playing the slide solo. He makes that part of the song sound really empty.

The Nightrain solo sucks too (as far from RnR/hard rock as it gets) but it's pretty short and all I'm thinking about while he's playing it is "Slash is about to take over and fn' SLAY!!" :lol::heart:

Other than that, I think he does a pretty good job.

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

But didn't Axl say he has many songs written and Slash and Duff listened to them. They just need to put their spin on those songs and then maybe a new album might be forthcoming.

A GNR album without Slash's songwriting input? I rather get nothing but that's just me.

Ps: Fuck The Seeker!! :P

On 12/29/2016 at 4:02 AM, Tom-Ass said:

That just isn't true in my case. When this whole reunion started I thought Fortus would be the one that fit the mold the most out of the non originals. The music is what matters most to be and I just don't like what he brings to the table. Aside from Axl's voice on some songs Fortus is the main reason I have to shut off half the You tube videos of songs from these shows. Axl get's a pass and more than makes up for it most of the time.  I am sure there are some that don't like Fortus solely because he isn't Izzy but not me.. I just don't care for his playing and find he detracts from songs way more often than adding anything positive. I like him best when he is getting overshadowed by the other guys and I can't notice him.

Fair enough, it's reasonable to not like his style, but you should still be able to say that he is actually a good player... I'm not a fan of Chris slade in AC/DC, I prefer Phil rudds swing, and think Chris is a bit stiff on the h-hat... but is Chris a talented drummer? yes!. I like Richard, I think he's a really great groove player, and he has great tone... not to forget that he rarely fucks up. 

I agree that the nightrain solo is a bit over the top, but we all know how it goes, it isn't the sweet child solo or even out ta get me... it can be played differently, and still e good. It's quite memorable, so in my opinion that's a good sign... not to make it a slash vs  fortus thing, but I honestly can't remember the solos he put over the CD material... just mindless shredding. And don't start! I love Slash, I'm just not much of a fan of his take on CD leads, still doesn't mean he's bad player though.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rovim said:

Well said. I just dislike Richard's KOHD wankfest. I understand some people are just not into his style. Highlights find no flaws with his rhythm playing and his leads on most of the tunes are tasteful. His sound complements what Slash is doing for the most part.

I don't get the feeling his playing or sound is in the way. It sounds full with only 2 guitar players. Fuller compared to Slash and Gilby. Fortus is just a much better guitar player compared to Gilby, but he has a different style.

He handles the old material with ease, as well as the Chinese tunes. Slash is still playing the vast majority of the solos, which is appropriate.

It's obvious it's a dream come true for Richard to play with Slash. Probably the highlight of his entire career. (Duff as well)

I think it's an advantage, cause if he is as excited as I think he is, he'll be motivated as fuck to make it work with Slash. I can totally imagine the combo live sound of Slash/Fortus being a potential highlight in a Guns album. He is talented enough to give Slash a great and solid foundation to work with and play off of. The sound of both of them in the studio could be mean as hell.

First of all I like Richard. His style may seem exagerated but that s taste..he is a cool guy and talented a lot. Of course playing with Slash is one of the highlights of his career but he has played with NSYNC ,Enrique Iglesias ,Nena and also Thin Lizzy...

I'm going to owe @Towelie $50 USD in 3 days because I (yet again) put money on the wrong, wrong, WRONG horse. Did I have a great time at the GN'R shows I saw this year? Yep. Doesn't change the fact that it's just depressing that GN'R can't seem to squeeze out even as much as ONE new song for their fans to enjoy.

A tip of the hat to Towlie.

You wanted me to be wrong all year long and I can respect that. I wanted to be right for no other reason than for all of us to enjoy anything at all from a band we've put our hearts, souls, blood, sweat & tears into. 

In the end, you will get my money and I'm not sad about it. I made a bet and I'll pay up. What hurts WAY more than the $50 is the fact that in a year of so much horrifiic musical loss, one of the last musical inspirations I have couldn't dig down and pull out something new for all of us.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I'm going to owe @Towelie $50 USD in 3 days because I (yet again) put money on the wrong, wrong, WRONG horse. Did I have a great time at the GN'R shows I saw this year? Yep. Doesn't change the fact that it's just depressing that GN'R can't seem to squeeze out even as much as ONE new song for their fans to enjoy.

You wanted me to be wrong all year long and I can respect that. I wanted to be right for no other reason than for all of us to enjoy anything at all from a band we've put our hearts, souls, blood, sweat & tears into. 

In the end, you will get my money and I'm not sad about it. I made a bet and I'll pay up. What hurts WAY more than the $50 is the fact that in a year of so much horrifiic musical loss, one of the last musical inspirations I have couldn't dig down and pull out something new for all of us.

Not making excuses, but isn't it possible that it's not cause Axl couldn't put out 1 tune for all of us to hear, he didn't want to? I think he would rather not release anything until he has an album he feels has the "right" tunes on it and is a proper musical statement?

Not pulling this shit from my ass, he talked about Chinese in that way before it got released, explaining the delays, talked about the right tunes on it.

I think it was Downzy that said Axl was finishing tracks with Pitman in the studio in 2015. Perhaps when Axl called Slash and the hybrid reunion happened, it made CD ll not relevant anymore? I just don't think it's that simple for Axl, he cares about the meaning of the material, and if it reflects him as an artist now.

If it didn't mean anything, I think he would have just released shit randomly from material already recorded, and just added Slash and Duff to a couple of tunes and released it on itunes. But maybe I'm wrong and he just can't do it.

But the China exchange interview as I understood it, told a different story.

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

@Towelie you should double the bet for next year to really make it interesting! ;)

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I said from the get go, I didn't wanna win this bet, but I was always confident that I would. Fans have been saying that new material will come from this band "next year" since 2010 and it never does. And unfortunately, with live dates extending well into mid-late 2017, I don't see a GNR album being a realistic prospect for 2017 either.

I like to hold out hope that maybe the newly-reformed Guns will eventually pull something out of the bag, but it really doesn't seem high on Axl's list of priorities. I think as fans we need to face facts that Axl just isn't that interested. Doesn't mean it'll never happen, but I don't think GNR will ever be one of those bands that puts out new product on a regular basis. 85% of their catalogue was released in the first six years, and then after that it took 15 years for another album to materialise and we're already heading towards a decade since CD. It sucks, because GNR means a lot to so many of us, but it is what it is.  

In a sense, I kind of resent that we're all still here and that Axl has the satisfaction of knowing that whenever he decides he's ready, we'll all be eating out of the palm of his hand and lapping it up. Most bands couldn't get away with GNR's lack of productivity over the years and still have a rabid fanbase interested in following their every move. But I guess it's a testament to the strength of GNR's back catalogue, that we all keep coming to the shows and talking about them online every day in spite of the fact that, as fanbases go, we get very very little compared to most bands/artists.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Rovim said:

Not making excuses, but isn't it possible that it's not cause Axl couldn't put out 1 tune for all of us to hear, he didn't want to? I think he would rather not release anything until he has an album he feels has the "right" tunes on it and is a proper musical statement?

The problem is I think Axl is always going to feel that way - he needs to trust the others when they say it's finished, it's ready to be released.