Slash & Myles on 'Living The Dream' + new single, writing process, tour plans, tracklist & more.

Gibson87

24 minutes ago, rossco said:

anyone else getting a pink floyd - run like hell vibe at the beginning of boulevard of broken hearts .!!?!? 

Yep I can hear it a bit. I was also hearing something I couldn't put my finger on and it ended up being I Got ID by Pearl Jam. Boulevard of Broken Hearts is definately the highlight for me. Love it. Will go well in a playlist with Anastasia and Wicked Stone.

Rest of the Album is up and down but I can't fault the guitar playing. The Man, The Myth, The Legend. 

Edited by Guitar Stu

I was a bit dissapointed when the singles came out, but have been listening for a couple of hours now, I think i'm on my 4th or 5th spin, and the record overall really surprised me.

• Call of The Wild starts the album of strong, love the breakdown just before the solo, steady rock song
  • Serve you Right is an OK rock song, the song doesnt do much for me exept the solo/riffing in the ending
  • My Antidote, I love the cruchy sound of the guitar(s) and a solid track overal
  • Mind Your Manners, for me just an average track and I'm already skipping it
  • Lost inside the Girl, a creepy song and a slower pace than the songs before, a nice break from the faster tracks, the longest track on the album, could be a little shorter 
  • Read Between, starts a faster paced Rocker, an ok song but the backup vocal singing "common common read between the lines" annoyed me on the first listen already
  • Slow Grind, I like the riff on this one
  • The One You Loved, beautifull ballad (could be a radio single) great solo's by Slash (love this song, sorry i'm a sucker for ballads)
  • Driving Rain, might be my least faforite track on the album, although the solo is nice
  • Sugar Cane, As some have said a Sexy Riff, but the track doesn't do much for me
  • The Great Pretender, as some already said, sounds a little like a Gary Moore track, the riff/lick sounds really nice, dark track, the sound of Slashs guitar is as good as it gets
  • Boulevard of Broken Hearts,  another great song can't say anything bad about it

Overal an 8/10 for me, My Antidote, Slow Grind, The One You Loved, Great Pretender and Boulevard Of Broken Hearts are the standout tracks

If you want a good impression of this album....listen to these 5 songs

Edited by merces
  • Like 1

Here's my track by track review:

Call Of The Wild - Very Aerosmith-esque riffs going on here. Quite like the lyrics about modern technology taking over our lives and the chorus manages to be catchy without being cheesy (unlike the title tracks on WOF and especially AL). Also really like the gentle breakdown in the middle. Best opener on a SMKC album so far. 7/10

Serve You Right - This one has yet to really grab me. Feels like just a hodge-podge of ideas that don't really go together. There's some nice riffing in the verses, but the chorus feels weak. The ending is cool, building towards a crescendo etc, but when the rest of the song fails to deliver, that doesn't count for much. 3/10

My Antidote - Decent enough track, but not particularly memorable and the weakest of the three teaser tracks. 5/10

Mind Your Manners - Okay, so its very SMKC-by-numbers, but its a decent track with a strong chorus and lots of energy. I like this one. 7/10

Lost Inside The Girl - This is a very curious song, the verses are very Snakepit and it's nice to hear this band doing something a bit different, but the chorus feels at odds with the rest of the song. I think I would've preferred it if they'd have tried to come up with a chorus more in the style of the verses. Still, kudos to SMKC for trying something a little different. And there's some really tasty little lead licks from Slash in the solo. 7.5/10

Read Between The Lines - This belongs in the category of Slash songs that are complete throwaway but I actually quite like. Its probably the most Velvet Revolver sounding song in the SMKC catalogue, although Myles doesn't quite have the swagger to pull it off like Scott did. Fun, but forgettable. 5/10

Slow Grind - Very average song. Riff is nothing special. Ultimately feels very lazy and uninspired. 2/10

The One You Loved Is Gone - The big ballad of the album, and probably the best ballad Slash has done with Myles. The song is basically Myles does Gotten with a few alterations. The arrangement is a bit strange, it has verse one/verse two/chorus/middle-eight/solo/down-verse/chorus. Its a bit odd that they go from the first chorus straight to the middle-eight and it also seems a strange choice that they only repeat the chorus twice throughout the entire song. Still, it stood out to me as one of the best tracks on a first listen and I like it more with repeated listens. Slash absolutely nails the solo on this one. 8.5/10

Driving Rain - Again, it's SMKC-by-numbers, but its a much better single than World On Fire, which I always considered to be a distinctly average track. The chorus is strong and anthemic and the riffs are classic Slash. What's not to like? 7/10

Sugar Cane - Average song, lazy repeitive riff. Filler. 2/10

The Great Pretender - The most epic sounding song on the record. This song is one of those ones like Messages or Estranged, where the guitar refrain is the hook. I really like this. My only gripe is, it feels like it could've been expanded on somewhat. More than any other song on the album, this one makes me think "man, I wonder what Axl could've done with this." 8/10

Boulevard of Broken Hearts - Okay, I hear a bit of Run To The Hills and Thunderstruck in here. And also a bit of Libertad, something like American Man. Mix them all in a blender, put Myles Kennedy on vocals and you habe this song. Decent closer. 6.5/10

Overall - These SMKC albums are always worth getting, imo. They're not GNR-standard, and the band have yet to produce anything worthy of Slash's best songs with Snakepit (I like Anastesia as much as anyone, but it's not in the same league as Serial Killer), but they're fun pop-rock albums, with usually a good mix of styles and a few surprises here and there.

I would say the strongest SMKC so far is WOF, as there is nothing here that quite matches The Unholy or Beneath The Savage Sun. But it is nice to hear them growing as a band and stepping outside of their tried and tested fomular occasionally. 

Now Slash, get Axl in that studio and give us the Guns album next before you set foot in a recording studio with Myles again.... SIgned, Guns N Roses and Slash fans worldwide.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ralphelmo said:

As UNEXPECTED, this album is the best SMKC work ever. True gems on it. Driving Rain should be switched with Stone Blind from WOF.

I don't know, the reception seems to be generally lukewarm. Admittedly, we are both biased towards opposite ends of the spectrum, however i think it is clear that while there are good moments on this album, it is not without worthy complaints.

53 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

it is not without worthy complaints.

Complaints? This is art. Either you like it or you don’t. Whomever doesn’t like it can move on to something else. Pretty simple.

Complaints would only be valid and worthy if you paid them to create something specific for you and they didn’t deliver what you asked for. This is their art, not yours. 

On the negative side there is nothing as outstanding as ''Anastasia'' or ''Wicket Stone'' on here. On the plus side there is not a bad track on here either. It is all consistently good. Apocalyptic Love contained a load of filler as I recall but Living the Dream contains all solid stuff. It doesn't hang around too much either, as an album. It is short, punchy and to the point.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, rossco said:

anyone else getting a pink floyd - run like hell vibe at the beginning of boulevard of broken hearts .!!?!? 

3 hours ago, Guitar Stu said:

Yep I can hear it a bit. I was also hearing something I couldn't put my finger on and it ended up being I Got ID by Pearl Jam. Boulevard of Broken Hearts is definately the highlight for me. Love it. Will go well in a playlist with Anastasia and Wicked Stone.

Rest of the Album is up and down but I can't fault the guitar playing. The Man, The Myth, The Legend. 

I agree with you both. Run Like Hell and I Got id. 

Crazy to think that after Slash left in the 90's he would say in a negative sense that Axl wanted them to do PJ style songs and Slash wasnt into it. Now he is back in Guns with a new solo track that is essentially lifted from a 90s era PJ track!

And Duff is in a band with the PJ guitarist who gave a very similar guitar solo treatment to id as what Slash gives here.

On a separate note, the Run Like Hell bit again really highlights a single coil pick up tone. I havent heard the entire album yet, but the 5-6 tracks Ive heard seem to have a large single coil component to them.