"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

It was about 6 weeks ago. I tried to explain it in the lawsuit thread here (and since then everything has pointed to the answer to both 1) and 2) being yes):

What's going on with Axl's one? Any updates? Perhaps he's got the website ready to do press releases and rebuttals...ready to do a Neverland ranch style MJ direct to cam innocent profession....😸

2 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

What's going on with Axl's one? Any updates? Perhaps he's got the website ready to do press releases and rebuttals...ready to do a Neverland ranch style MJ direct to cam innocent profession....😸

No updates on the Axl one since his answer was filed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got a Quest 3 a few weeks ago and last night decided to watch some GNR YouTube vids on it. Was fun seeing the YCBM Ritz video on a massive (virtual) screen in my living room, watched some of Paris 2023 as well. Now I need to rip the Appetite for Democracy 3D Blu-ray at some point and watch that, should be neat in VR (have never bothered watching it in 2D).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, slash was buckethead said:

hello all I have a question......i seem to remember a show on the 2023 show where axl talked about why he still goes for the high notes and it having something to do with freddie mercury......can anyone confirm this or point me in a direction to find it 

I could see Axl still going for the high notes as a nod to Freddie Mercury. 😀 Freddie is one of Axl's favorite Singers. 😀

12 hours ago, slash was buckethead said:

hello all I have a question......i seem to remember a show on the 2023 show where axl talked about why he still goes for the high notes and it having something to do with freddie mercury......can anyone confirm this or point me in a direction to find it 

Interesting, because Freddie didn't always go for the high notes live. He relied a lot on Roger Taylor's backing vocals for that. 

13 hours ago, slash was buckethead said:

It was at this show (scroll down in the comments):

https://www.a-4-d.com/t8019-2023-09-06-rupp-arena-lexington-ky-usa

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Interesting, because Freddie didn't always go for the high notes live. He relied a lot on Roger Taylor's backing vocals for that. 

I thought that Freddie Mercury ONLY sang in high notes. 🤔

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Karice said:

I thought that Freddie Mercury ONLY sang in high notes. 🤔

Well, from what Blackstar posted, it was quite the opposite:

20 hours ago, Blackstar said:

It was at this show (scroll down in the comments):

https://www.a-4-d.com/t8019-2023-09-06-rupp-arena-lexington-ky-usa

"The thing is, Freddie never sang fucking highs (?) live. That was real, he sang in the lows, and that’s why I didn’t listen to their live shows when I was a fucking kid."

Keep in mind that those highs were really high, but still not as much as Axl's from what I remember.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BucketEgg said:

How many hats does Slash have? Do you think he has a display or a line of top hats sitting somewhere in his house?

a walk in top hat closet with a security code. Hundreds upon hundreds of top hats.

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/6/2024 at 6:23 AM, bmus1 said:

This I Love has been going crazy on Spotify lately. It's up to over 70,000,000 streams, and last I checked a year ago it hadn't cracked 60.

To be fair at least 20 million of those streams are from @Sweersa

• Haha 3

On 5/16/2024 at 8:22 PM, Amir said:

Finally got around to this. A decade after its release, I get to see Appetite for Democracy in 3D. I picked up a 3D Blu-ray for £10 a month ago (new and sealed), and tonight I ripped it to watch on my Quest 3. It's a lot of fun seeing 2012-era GNR on a giant virtual screen in your living room, guitar necks pointed towards your face, the drum kit feeling inches away (and the exotic dancers are easy on the eyes, too). I never bothered watching this in 2D but the 3D makes it worthwhile, great job @rockfuel!

There's a bunch of interviews on the disc that are shot in 3D as well, in case you wanted to feel like Dizzy Reed is sat right in front of you (paging  @DizzyReedsexmachine).

Did you have to rip it to a specific format to watch it in 3D? Never thought about getting a VR headset, but it could be fun to watch movies. How's the sound? I guess it should work just fine in stereo, but it was supposedly intended to be watched on theaters with 3D and 5.1 (or above) surround sound.

On 5/19/2024 at 1:23 PM, axlvai said:

Go to 37:07 

For the ones who still didnt saw this. 

That's awesome, I don't think I ever saw it. Thanks.

I miss Slash's tone from the 90s. And to see them coming up with a cool song from scratch that quick, makes you think about the missed opportunity with Axl while those guys were still in the band. I really think Axl should do the other way around and record new vocals on top of old instrumentals too. It's a shame it won't ever happen. :( 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Did you have to rip it to a specific format to watch it in 3D? Never thought about getting a VR headset, but it could be fun to watch movies. How's the sound? I guess it should work just fine in stereo, but it was supposedly intended to be watched on theaters with 3D and 5.1 (or above) surround sound.

There's a Quest app called 4XVR (£23/$30) which can play ISOs or MKVs. I used a program called MakeMKV to rip the 3D Blu-ray to an MKV file, and then watch it on 4XVR. I've since gone on a 3D Blu-ray buying binge since a lot of them are super cheap secondhand (bought 4 for a total of £8 earlier today).

I've just been using the crappy in-built speakers on the Quest 3, I really should start wearing proper headphones. I suppose you could get virtual surround, but not true surround sound.

• Thanks 1