"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

4 hours ago, Edward Nygma said:

What do you guys expect from the upcoming album? Will it feature tracks that are on par with 'Better' & 'There Was A Time'? Will it be heavier than CD?

God I hope not since I consider "Better" to be one of the most awkwardly terrible songs that they play.  I can't even remember how the other one goes but I do remember not liking it. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I was just listening to a GTA Vice City playlist and this great tune came on, obviously a very known song. And I can't stop thinking about how similar Ian Astbury's moves and clothing are to Axl's on those days. This song is from 1985, so I'm sure Axl stole some ideas from this video :lol:

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

I was just listening to a GTA Vice City playlist and this great tune came on, obviously a very known song. And I can't stop thinking about how similar Ian Astbury's moves and clothing are to Axl's on those days. This song is from 1985, so I'm sure Axl stole some ideas from this video :lol:

Great song, love Duffy's riff and Astbury's vocals.  Don't forget Guns toured with the Cult in '87 so I'm sure Axl and Ian compared notes.😄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Stylistically it will have stuff similar to CD by the virtue of there almost certainly being CD-era songs on it.

I could be wrong, but I don't think it will be as close to CD as some people are expecting.  Even if it's all CD era songs, even those songs changed drastically from their 99 industrial roots + I think Axl has turned a corner in "letting go" of some of the control, I think he'll let Slash and Duff do their thing.

This is all my opinion, but I think things are different.  I think older GnR fans understand it more, not because "older means wiser" but when you get older, you just give considerably less fucks. Those of us who are older understand that by virtue of our own dwindling fucks output.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Anyone else feel like Slash's writing has been on the decline ever since Contraband came out in 2004? 

No.. I thought Libertad was way better than people here make it out to be.. Loved Slash and Friends.. AL was a mixed bag but did have some great songs on there including Anastasia which holds up to anything he has ever done. Loved WOF.. Thought the last one absolutely sucked though.. 

For the most part a lead guitarist is only as good as his band anyway. Slash isn't a singer. He isn't writing complete songs. He comes up with ideas and riffs and the band refines them. That is where the blandness in SMKC comes from.. It comes from Myles. 

Even in Guns, who knows what his songs would have sounded like without Izzy's Grit, Axl's unique voice, Duffs bunchy bass, Steven's touch an Duff and Izzy's fitting backing vocals perfecting the finished products. 

Another case where Izzy will be missed. Not only in the songwriting aspect but just his gritty guitar in general.. Him being low in the mix or absent all together made a lot of the UYI rockers sound pretty thin.. Then you have a song like YCBM where he is up front and center and you get a classic bad ass Gn'R vibe.. 

• Like 1

On 17/04/2019 at 1:06 AM, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Anyone else feel like Slash's writing has been on the decline ever since Contraband came out in 2004? 

I think in terms of creativity he is just coasting now. He needs to be challanged majorly. I want him to be the strong creative guitarist on par with estranged.

I think with WOF and AL he should have reduced the number of songs.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • GNFNR 1

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, Azifwekare said:

I've been listening to the Ghosts of Mars soundtrack with Bucket and Robin again... Fight Train would've been such a fucking kick-ass Guns song. :headbang:

It sure would have! 

(I'm a sucker for the song Love Siege myself. Also, never seen the movie, but damn do I love that soundtrack!)

• Like 1

Yep, on any future recordings they should utilize mainly Axl's middle and lower register. Sprinkle the high voice here and there carefully.

Heck, he should sing some of the existing songs from a lower octave. Sure, it's not 'classic Axl', but it would have power and it would sound better (pun intended).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jekylhyde said:

Yep, on any future recordings they should utilize mainly Axl's middle and lower register. Sprinkle the high voice here and there carefully.

Heck, he should sing some of the existing songs from a lower octave. Sure, it's not 'classic Axl', but it would have power and it would sound better (pun intended).

ffs not the mid register pls... axls mid range = mickey mouse

all the songs that sound shit these days like YCBM, RQ, NR etc are in this register. He sounds great on the last part of ISE, sounds great on SOYL, or on the ACDC songs because the screaming suits his voice these days, as does his low register on ISE, Brownstone, CD etc

I'm sure that his mid range is fine in the studio (rock the rock proves that) but live the songs would be full on mickey, no doubt

They should go with his lower range and sometimes with his higher range, but pls not the mid range

I was listening to some old recordings of me just fucking around on guitar and I never realized until now how much Slash has influenced my playing. I'm always trying out different styles of music just so I can diversify, but my default seems to be those blues scales and really sleazy riffs

• Like 1

On 4/28/2019 at 9:17 PM, Azifwekare said:

I've been listening to the Ghosts of Mars soundtrack with Bucket and Robin again... Fight Train would've been such a fucking kick-ass Guns song. :headbang:

From 0:33 to 0:47, that riff... I've heard it before but I can't place it.  I mean it's an exact riff.  Anyone?

EDIT It was Killing Box By Anthrax check 1:17

HOLY SHIT, exact same beginning too.  Check out the 22 second mark on Fight Train vs. the 5 second mark of killing box.  Was this a tribute or theft?

Edited by DeadSlash
Dimebag was not on lead in killing box.

13 minutes ago, DeadSlash said:

From 0:33 to 0:47, that riff... I've heard it before but I can't place it.  I mean it's an exact riff.  Anyone?

EDIT It was Killing Box By Anthrax check 1:17

HOLY SHIT, exact same beginning too.  Check out the 22 second mark on Fight Train vs. the 5 second mark of killing box.  Was this a tribute or theft?

Anthrax played on half the soundtrack, so its their own riff

It's weird that 1993 had things so bad the band imploded, yet on stage they were the most in sync and dialed in than probably any year. 1987-1992 shows all had a real tension and intensity and no one seemed to be enjoying themselves on stage. 1993 feels way more relaxed and everyone seems to be having a good time and that tension that blew up the band was, ironically, completely absent on stage.

When are we going to get a clear message from management that a new album is in the works & a deadline by when they want the album out. When the next album comes out will we wait another 10 years for the follow up album? When are the band members who have side projects/solo projects put them on indefinite hold to complete the 'supposed' up & coming album? Would those side projects/solo projects sell as many or do as well without the Guns name attached to the personality's.