The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

9 hours ago, Nesret said:

I for one hope that all the Chinese-stuff remains as untouched as possible, if it's ever being used at all. I actively dislike the Better-Intro as well as the overrated-as-fuck HS-soundcheck, not to mention all the fucked up solos and what not. They shit all over these songs, so I hope they stay away from that era and at least make something on their own. All I personally want are the Village-demos with vocals.

I couldn't agree more.

I would just LOVE for the next release to be a double album, the first being CD2 as it was in 2014 (or whatever) and the next album being re-worked remaining CD era songs or additional completed CD era songs AND completely new songs by the current lineup.

I wouldn't be surprised if they could do the above in the form of 3 albums.

Emphasis on "could" because it's GN'R and we will be lucky to get another album or even an EP in the next 12-24 months.

3 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

He sounds great on Rock the Rock. Do we know when that was recorded 

I think this is a bit of a myth. He doesn't sound bad. but there's no power at all, its whiny, and he sounds like he's straining on the verses. compare that to his voice on There was a time. The power there is unreal. Rock the Rock sounds like modern Axl does live, when he's having a better night. Otherwise it's weak. But coz we've not heard a studio vocal in about 13 years people have creamed all over it. I get that. If you haven't eaten in 3 weeks, a lettuce leaf taste like a waygu steak.

There's no doubt that any vocal axl recorded between 2000-2006 will sound 1 million times better than anything he can produce now. And who cares when a song was recorded or written if it's never been heard before? In 50 years when people look at GnRs legacy who will say a song released in 2022 isn't valid because it was written in 2001? Who outside of this forum will even know that or give a fuck :lol:

Edited by JimiRose
typo
  • Like 4

For me that was my biggest issue with Chinese.  Not that the vocals sound bad, but when you mix and match vocal tracks from 1999 with guitar tracks from 2007, an early 2000's re-recording of another drummers drum tracks from 1998, etc. you lose sonic cohesiveness

That is one of the reasons why Cather In The Rye off the actual album sounds like a mushy sonic jumbled mess compared to the more streamlined early Brian May demo.

That is why I appreciated what Van Halen did on their last album.  They went into the treasure trove of older songs they had in the archives but new, fresh recordings of the band which paid off well when it comes to organic cohesive sonic energy which to me all great rock records need

All just my opinion ofc!  Not to discount anyone that may disagree with that, this is just my own personal wish for a potential next GNR album, if one ever comes to light to begin with lol

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JimiRose said:

I think this is a bit of a myth. He doesn't sound bad. but there's no power at all, its whiny, and he sounds like he's straining on the verses. compare that to his voice on There was a time. The power there is unreal. Rock the Rock sounds like modern Axl does live, when he's having a better night. Otherwise it's weak. But coz we've not heard a studio vocal in about 13 years people have creamed all over it. I get that. If you haven't eaten in 3 weeks, a lettuce leaf taste like a waygu steak.

There's no doubt that any vocal axl recorded between 2000-2006 will sound 1 million times better than anything he can produce now. And who cares when a song was recorded or written if it's never been heard before? In 50 years when people look at GnRs legacy who will say a song released in 2022 isn't valid because it was written in 2001? Who outside of this forum will even know that or give a fuck :lol:

Yea, I really don't get the praise for the vocals on Rock The Rock. He doesn't sound awful, but he sure doesn't sound great either... the different vocal layers kinda give the illusion of a more powerful voice. If all the vocals on new material sounded like that, I'd probably lose interest pretty quickly.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea, I really don't get the praise for the vocals on Rock The Rock. He doesn't sound awful, but he sure doesn't sound great either... the different vocal layers kinda give the illusion of a more powerful voice. If all the vocals on new material sounded like that, I'd probably lose interest pretty quickly.

Granted he sounds a little bit older and maybe there's not that same power as of years back but it's still unmistakably Axl. Just a shame that he's unable/unwilling to do that for most live performances. 

14 minutes ago, Bansidhe said:

Granted he sounds a little bit older and maybe there's not that same power as of years back but it's still unmistakably Axl. Just a shame that he's unable/unwilling to do that for most live performances. 

The vocal layers result in a weird 'texture' IMO. It might've sounded better if he'd just belted it out SOYL style but to be fair it was mixed to be in a kids tv show lol, and it's still unmistakably Axl. I don't think his GNR vocals would sound like that but still, it doesn't sound great...

On 1/22/2021 at 4:33 PM, DTJ80 said:

I’ll be honest - I’d be completely fine with a studio version of Wichita Lineman....I think I’m one of the very few folk on here who actually likes it! Prefer it to be a b-side as to not waste a space right enough! 🤣

On 1/22/2021 at 4:39 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

Honestly it was another missed opportunity not releasing an EP or something around 2018, they should've thrown The Seeker, Wichita Lineman, Hardschool and one other track out there to keep people interested.

On 1/22/2021 at 4:57 PM, DTJ80 said:

Totally agree - a tour EP was the easiest thing in the world to do and would have likely gave extra impetus to the latter stages of NITL......and yet nothing. 🙄

Yeah I would've been interested in a studio version of the Seeker.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bansidhe said:

Yeah I actually quite like the vocals he laid out on Rock the Rock, some of the notes he lingers on are not too unlike some of his vocal delivery on TSI? - albeit older sounding lol.  Paying attention to the main vocal track mostly and ignoring the lower octave overdubs that obscure and add to the vocals, I quite dig it

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

I'm genuinely more interested in hearing cd2 in its different guises than new stuff by Slash and Duff. I just keep imagining some bland radio friendly stuff or VR style stuff. 

Considering how much Shadow Of Your Love was played and promoted as a "new GN'R song" a few years back, absolutely.

Rock the Rock is pretty straight edge in that it's not demanding of Axl. Nor should it be as a kids show. For what it is, i think Axl gives enough power (particularly on the main vocal placement at the end of particular verses - like 'telling no lies'). It might be suggestive of what Axl could sound like if recording over the past five years, but i do expect GN'R songs to be more complicated (as they usually are) than Rock the Rock. The same goes for vocals too.

Never brought it up much but "Stuck inside" with bach had some of the most ruthless Axl scream. Gets my gut tense everytime Im listening to it... so fkn powerful!

Hope a new album would have that aggression or attitude. Too his voice at the last we have heard cant even compete with Mickey Mouse or the strangled grandma  anymore lolol

🐭 👵 😭😭

Edited by NTONIUS
Horrible grammar lol had to fix.
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, NTONIUS said:

Never brought it up much but "Stuck inside" with bach had some of the most ruthless Axl scream. Gets my gut tense everytime Im listening to it... so fkn powerful!

Hope a new album would have that aggression or attitude. Too his voice at the last we have heard cant even compete with Mickey Mouse or the strangled grandma  anymore lolol

🐭 👵 😭😭

Love that song and it's so cool right before Axl comes in there's an awesome guitar lick almost like an introduction then Ax comes in with a menacing rasp and his scream he holds for nearly a minute and it's all around so epic crazy to think he was singing like that as late as '07/'08 ...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yeah me either ... When it first came out I remember people on this forum were hailing it as this amazing vocal performance ... I only listened to it twice and I'll probably never listen again given it's a freaking Looney Tunes song for godsake ....

16 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

This... Those have always been exactly my thoughts.. And if it can't be re-produced live, don't record it..

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

This... Those have always been exactly my thoughts.. And if it can't be re-produced live, don't record it..

Respectfully disagree.

Would love a killer studio album.  

His live vocals are what they are now.......

• Like 2

not sure Axl's vocals on Rock The Rock reflect everything he can do in the studio. It's just one short little project he was involved in. Even if his voice is weaker compared to Rock The Rock, I'd still want another album from Gn'R.

Axl being able to do justice live to his studio work would be great, but it's not a deal breaker for me if it doesn't live up to the quality of his studio performances.

49 minutes ago, Pele said:

Respectfully disagree.

Would love a killer studio album.  

His live vocals are what they are now.......

I'm with you on this too. If he can't sing live, then knock out an album and let the fans enjoy it. But albums don't make money, and if GNR ended up back in the studio to write an album from scratch, I'm pretty sure 'creative differences' would blow it apart.

The best we can hope for is Slash & Duff reworking existing songs/vocal tracks from Chinese era with two or three 'new' songs. 

I always liked the idea of a double album, the first side being Chinese II and the other being songs that they’ve come up with since 2016.

I am curious as to what happens behind the scenes within the camp. Granted, the first year was all about feeling out being back together and seeing how the shows turn out, but other than 2019, it looked like there was no intention of mixing it up with new songs or letting the fans know that something was coming. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dean said:

I always liked the idea of a double album, the first side being Chinese II and the other being songs that they’ve come up with since 2016.

I am curious as to what happens behind the scenes within the camp. Granted, the first year was all about feeling out being back together and seeing how the shows turn out, but other than 2019, it looked like there was no intention of mixing it up with new songs or letting the fans know that something was coming. 

I still think a double album is the way to go, even if all or most of it is just updated Chinese era material.

Both Slash and Duff said Axl got a lot of unreleased tunes and for a hard rock band like Gn'R with demanding vocals, time is running out faster compared to bands like The Stones for example and it could be the last chance they have to release an album with the ability to properly support it live.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I still think a double album is the way to go, even if all or most of it is just updated Chinese era material.

Both Slash and Duff said Axl got a lot of unreleased tunes and for a hard rock band like Gn'R with demanding vocals, time is running out faster compared to bands like The Stones for example and it could be the last chance they have to release an album with the ability to properly support it live.

100%. The catalogue is in dire need of getting beefed up and they're still of age to put on a helluva show and do justice to any new material when firing on all cylinders, so it makes perfect sense.