The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

4 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

And that’s what makes his place fun to debate this stuff - I thought Perhaps, Atlas and Hardschool were awesome 😂. Zodiac 13 with vocals.....THATS the holy grail for me.

And agreed - Better really should have been a monster hit. Such a good song and one that would easily take its place in a career spanning ‘Best Of’.

Fair play to ya. I went and listened back to those leaked tracks earlier and came to the same conclusion... not my bag, doesn't excited me, not that interesting musically, and certainly not worth waiting for.

As an aside, whilst on topic of Better, I remember hearing the 2006 version of IRS and absolutely fecking loving it! The final album version didn't hit me the same though. Actually disappointed me. I still have that demo somewhere though and it rocks! 

The only "evidence" we really have is that a new album is really being worked on. The main Gunners have said so, along with comments on (Axl’s) material that already exists. It doesn’t collide with whatever Susan McK has said, because she didn’t provide any dates or schedules etc. I don’t believe it to be so hard to understand that just because they haven’t released it yet – particularly at the times when other bands do it, right? – that doesn’t mean there won’t be any new music. 
Does it suck? Well duh. It could be "in the making" for another 3 years for all we know. But we surely don’t have any "evidence" that it’s not happening. 

I’ve said it here before – they’re old school guys, and I’d bet they don’t want to put out anything unless they can promote (i.e. tour) it immediately. Too bad they don’t at least release singles, videos etc. Sucks big time.

• Like 4

Promote it? You think they're gonna be on TV and do interviews and make music videos?!! The album will come out, there'll be some bizarre axl interview online 4 months later and maybe a 4tus interview on a low key YouTube video then a new tour a year later. 

Of course, that's when the album comes out, In 2024. With 3 covers on, crappy bland modern production with no bass and bottom end, and made up from cd2 leftovers where Axl hasn't written a song in 18 years and a few weak Duff tracks. 

6 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

Promote it? You think they're gonna be on TV and do interviews and make music videos?!! The album will come out, there'll be some bizarre axl interview online 4 months later and maybe a 4tus interview on a low key YouTube video then a new tour a year later. 

Of course, that's when the album comes out, In 2024. With 3 covers on, crappy bland modern production with no bass and bottom end, and made up from cd2 leftovers where Axl hasn't written a song in 18 years and a few weak Duff tracks. 

14 minutes ago, jamillos said:

promote (i.e. tour) it 

36 minutes ago, jamillos said:

The only "evidence" we really have is that a new album is really being worked on. The main Gunners have said so, along with comments on (Axl’s) material that already exists. It doesn’t collide with whatever Susan McK has said, because she didn’t provide any dates or schedules etc. I don’t believe it to be so hard to understand that just because they haven’t released it yet – particularly at the times when other bands do it, right? – that doesn’t mean there won’t be any new music. 
Does it suck? Well duh. It could be "in the making" for another 3 years for all we know. But we surely don’t have any "evidence" that it’s not happening. 

I’ve said it here before – they’re old school guys, and I’d bet they don’t want to put out anything unless they can promote (i.e. tour) it immediately. Too bad they don’t at least release singles, videos etc. Sucks big time.

No offence intended but I do think you are being a little naive and setting yourself up for disappointment, but I hope you are right :mellow:

24 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

No offence intended but I do think you are being a little naive and setting yourself up for disappointment, but I hope you are right :mellow:

But why? I’m going by what we know and what the musicians themselves said. I’m using just simple logic. Since when does Slash lie about working on new Guns music? How long could they do NITL and its variants until the ticket numbers would start to fade? Especially after Covid, when people will be hungry for new live material, not the stuff they’ve heard 100 times before? Don’t forget that people may have lost a lot of money last year, and the casuals may therefore choose other bands, bands that actually create and release new music.
There’s not a single reason why they shouldn’t put out a new record, even if just a single album. The fact that some people will pirate it or that Guns would make much more dough from touring doesn’t change anything about the reality that other bands (from the same era) still do it, so why should it be specifically disadvantageous for Guns? 

Also, I can’t really be disappointed, because I know we still may have a long wait in front of us before it sees the light of day. And as a lifelong GN’R fan, I’m used to waiting. Oh my, I am. 
But believing they’ll never release anything defies any logic in my view. Even as far as Axl’s voice goes, he still can nail it in the studio, apparently. What he will sing live is up to him. 

Again, the thing is, we’re here every day, discussing this crap round and round, so it feels like an eternity. But time doesn’t work the same way for the Gunners. There’s no rush, and with the lockdowns... we need to understand these people aren’t just some music robots. They have families, perhaps some hobbies outside music. So I guess right now, Axl is polishing some sound, while Slash is composing songs for his new solo (and Merchnando working on new toy trucks). They’re waiting it out, enjoying their NITL money. We’re here, pissed off that we don’t hear anything new, while they’re in contact with this new music on a daily basis. The perspective is different, and that’s the key...

7 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

Fair play to ya. I went and listened back to those leaked tracks earlier and came to the same conclusion... not my bag, doesn't excited me, not that interesting musically, and certainly not worth waiting for.

As an aside, whilst on topic of Better, I remember hearing the 2006 version of IRS and absolutely fecking loving it! The final album version didn't hit me the same though. Actually disappointed me. I still have that demo somewhere though and it rocks! 

It’d be pretty boring if we all liked he same stuff. 😂

About CD...I reckon only about a quarter of it benefited for being ‘delayed’ - Prostitute being the big case where it’s much better than the Village ones. The rest were all better as they were in early 2000s - the title track is awesome compared to the final version (and I actually really like that one) and is a proper raw rock song.

14 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

And that’s what makes his place fun to debate this stuff - I thought Perhaps, Atlas and Hardschool were awesome 😂. Zodiac 13 with vocals.....THATS the holy grail for me.

And agreed - Better really should have been a monster hit. Such a good song and one that would easily take its place in a career spanning ‘Best Of’.

Better should have been huge. Axl fucked himself by doing no promotion, not releasing the music video for it etc... Big missed opportunity to ensure CD reached maximum ears and kickstart a new wave of followers for GnR. 

12 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

1 album since 1994! 1 whole album of original material in nearly 30 years. There is your evidence. To put that into context, Deep Purple have released 7 studios albums in that time, AC/DC 5, The Stones 4, Metallica 6... and Slash himself has released 8. So the evidence is pretty conclusive really. 

It doesn't make sense to compare them to other bands. There have been so many lineup changes. Slash and Duff have been back since 2016 and at first it was only for one or two reunion shows, since then they seem to be taking baby steps to see where they are and how they get along, and that is mostly touring but it seems they are working on new material now. It's not like they've been working together since 1994 and we're still waiting for a new record since then. 

Of course it's disappointing that Axl has released so little music, but it is what it is. There is no rule for a musician to release x amount of records in their career. In 2009 he said to the question when the new album will come out: ''Have no idea and don't care, (.......), if things go well enough, we'd like to get another out at some point in our lifetimes''. At least he's being honest and he's not giving anyone false hope. Another favourite musician of mine always mentions that his new record will come out within a year, and every time he says that, it takes another three years before he drops a new record. That pisses me off more than Axl, who isn't making any promises.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, EvanG said:

It doesn't make sense to compare them to other bands. There have been so many lineup changes. Slash and Duff have been back since 2016 and at first it was only for one or two reunion shows, since then they seem to be taking baby steps to see where they are and how they get along, and that is mostly touring and it seems they are working on new material now. It's not like they've been working together since 1994 and we're still waiting for a new record since then. 

Of course it's disappointing that Axl has released so little music, but it is what it is. There is no rule for a musician to release x amount of records in his career. In 2009 he said to the question when the new album will come out: ''Have no idea and don't care, (.......) if things go well enough, we'd like to get another out at some point in our lifetimes''. At least he's being honest and he's not giving anyone false hope. Another favourite musician of mine always mentions that his new record will come out within a year, and every time he says that, it takes another three years before he drops a new record. That pisses me off more than Axl, who isn't making any promises.

Yeah...but he's got his minions to do that. How many times have Fortus, Fernandont etc. teased new stuff during the years..

3 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Yeah...but he's got his minions to do that. How many times have Fortus, Fernandont etc. teased new stuff during the years..

I have no idea, I don't really follow them to be honest. Have his ''minions'' ever confirmed a new record within a year or said more than ''we're working on stuff'' type of rhetoric? 

6 hours ago, Chuzeville said:

Here's something I like to say: Oasis have done all their recording carreer in the time it took GnR between TSI? and CD.

In the time it took GNR to do TSI and CD, Prince made:

Come (1993)

The Gold Experience (1995)

Exodus (1995)

Chaos & Disorder (1996)

Emancipation (1996)

Crystal Ball (1998)

The Truth (1998)

New Power Soul (1998)

Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic (1999)

The Chocolate Invasion (2000)

The Slaughterhouse (2000)

The Rainbow Children (2001)

One Nite Alone Piano & Vocal (2002)

N.E.W.S. (2002)

Musicology (2004)

3121 (2006)

Planet Earth (2007)

Lotusflow3r (2008)

MPLSoUND (2008)

20Ten (2010)

Art Official Age (2014)

Plectrum Electrum (2014)

HitNRun Phase One (2015)

HitNRun Phase Two (2015)

^^ Two of them are triple albums. He also wrote and produced entire albums for Chaka Khan, Larry Graham, Bria Valente and George Clinton. 

His estate has released more music since his death 5 years ago than GNR have put out in their entire career. 

Edited by Towelie

3 minutes ago, Towelie said:

^ Two of them are triple albums. He also wrote and produced entire albums for Chaka Khan, Larry Graham, Bria Valente and George Clinton. 

His estate has released more music since his death 5 years ago than GNR have put out in their entire career. 

So what's your point? That Axl doesn't release a lot of music? I think pretty much everyone here is well aware of that.

13 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

1 album since 1994! 1 whole album of original material in nearly 30 years. There is your evidence. To put that into context, Deep Purple have released 7 studios albums in that time, AC/DC 5, The Stones 4, Metallica 6... and Slash himself has released 8. So the evidence is pretty conclusive really. 

Guns N' Roses: Chinese Democracy was from 2008.

The next album is probably going to be mostly, if not all CD2 with Slash and Duff added.

As for CD, I take it you're one of those "It's not a real GN'R record!" person which I can understand, me being a Star Wars fan and not liking Disney's trilogy, but they are still Star Wars movies and whether you like it or not, the next GN'R album will be their seventh studio album, not sixth. 

Hopefully it's a double, so it will be the seventh and eight GN'R studio album. :)

Maybe they shouldn't hurry things and feel things out for another 6 or 7 seven years. Then they should be comfortable enough to do some serious talking about musical direction, etc. This ain't no Burger King after all, fam!

Edited by El Guapo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Maybe they shouldn't hurry things and feel things out for another 6 or 7 seven years. Then they should be comfortable enough to do some serious talking about musical direction, etc. This ain't no Burger King after all, fam!

They'd be crazy to think about putting anything out before they start hitting 70 in my opinion.

A minimum of 10 more years touring the same songs is going to be essential at this point.

#TheNextChapter 

• Haha 2

We can talk about 'evidence' all we like, but given all the things we've heard over the years, and all the things that have never happened but been talked about,  absolutely the only 'evidence' I'd accept of a new album now is when it's in my hands.  

Other than that event occuring, there's nothing that could convince me now it's happening. 

11 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Guarantee you that when/if the never ending 'NITL' tour resumes people will say "oh they need time to get into the mood of working with each other again, can't expect them to just release something new, as soon as the tour is finished they'll be in the studio and doing new material". 

3 hours ago, DownUnderScott said:

Better should have been huge. Axl fucked himself by doing no promotion, not releasing the music video for it etc... Big missed opportunity to ensure CD reached maximum ears and kickstart a new wave of followers for GnR. 

Ahh yes - the video. I know it eventually leaked....why was it never released in the end? I remember Lars getting blamed (Fernando?) which turned out to be bullshit. Don’t see why they don’t just fire it up onto their VEVO/YouTube page. 🤷🏼‍♂️

THAT was the song to announce him/the new band to the world.....and it was handled terribly. :facepalm:

• Like 2