The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

4 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

I was responding to someone saying it was a lose-lose situation for Axl whether he recorded some new vocals or not. I wasn't giving my opinion on what I thought would make a song better. I was giving my opinion on why Axl seems to have lost all motivation for hitting the recording studio. I'm not one of those people who thinks he should have re-recorded perfectly good vocals for "Hard Skool." But if they added the bridge, why couldn't he record some "hey, heys" rather than sampling another song? Or, hey, maybe that part of the song already existed prior to Slash/Duff recording on it. They never talk about anything as a band, so we'll never get insight on it.

I wasn't referring to "Absurd" and a third verse. I was talking about "Hard Skool." I like "Absurd" as is.

ok, but I don't think Axl lost all motivation to enter a recording studio. Maybe he doesn't see a reason to do so right now and maybe Axl likes HS as it is so that's why he didn't add another verse to it.

8 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I can't tell if this is sarcastic, lol. It's not bad, but it certainly didn't excite the fanbase on any significant level, beyond maybe the first week after its release. I haven't heard it on the radio since it was released. It's not "hated" on the level that Absurd or My World are, of course, but is it really "loved by all"? It's passable but it didn't have much impact overall, or at least, it didn't get the numbers you'd expect from the Axl/Slash reunion single.

I didn't mean loved by every individual, but loved by all the groups mentioned - old fans, new fans, casuals etc. It is a song that wouldn't have been out of place on any previous records. 

It got EXACTLY the numbers I would expect from a has-been, nostalgia band with no promotion. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

Re: Bumblefoot stating there’s a lot of material that’s 80-85% finished.

Can someone post the exact quote? Because it sounds to me like that extra 15-20% that was yet to be finished is Axl’s vocal.

I posted the link to the qoutes in a previous post. 

They were 80-85% finished recording-wise, according to Bumble, but he also suggested some where more finished and some less. Specifically he stated he and Frank would be recording. It is not unlikely at all that some didn't have vocals. 

Well, to be honest am I out of rage period long time ago and I will take any song as bonus. Album as well. If there will be another song good, Absurd, ok we survived worst like My World. 

What I do miss is unity, for example, Foo fighters, SMKC and others, they all posting pictures from studio with band members. I want to see that in GNR case. 

Show me some jamming or just interview with two or more band members. Not some back and white pre or post show edited pictures. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Pele said:

Of course.

It's clear there are not 30+ songs and it was just pure co-incidence that the two released were out of the 4 that we've heard with full, usable vocal.

It should be obvious to anyone with a brain that he had to submit some new material, so he got his producer/employees to make him two 'new' songs out of existing material.

Or Axl knew these songs leaked and decided to put the leaked material out first? Tbh, that makes a lot more sense to me than your rationale.

Why did he put so-so material like Riad and IRS on Chinese in 2008 when he had great stuff like Hard Skool and Perhaps in the can? Because those songs had leaked and he didn't wanna waste them. 

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 2

On 10/31/2021 at 4:38 PM, SoulMonster said:

There was a discussion here earlier about how many songs could be finished, and I just read an interview from Bumblefoot where he commented on how many songs he worked on after joining the band in 2006-2007. In this interview he mentioned that he added guitar tracks to about 40 songs and that they were 80% finished recording-wise. In another interview he said they were about 85% finished and that some of them needed additional drum work from Frank. If we substract the songs on CD, that still gives us about 30 additional songs that we must assume was more or less finished by 2007. One of these was definitely Atlas (because Bumblefoot has talked about how it almost ended up on the record), and two others were very likely Hard Skool and Absurd. 

Your assuming all those songs had vocals which is the problem. Gnr band members through the ages have always worked on songs but vocals are left last for you know who.

2 minutes ago, vloors said:

Your assuming all those songs had vocals which is the problem. 

I am not assuming anything. I didn't say or assume anything about how many of these songs have vocals. It was only a comment as to how much music existed back in 2007.

In fact, in a more recent post, just above here, I said, " It is not unlikely at all that some didn't have vocals".

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vloors said:

Gnr band members through the ages have always worked on songs but vocals are left last for you know who.

It is completely unknown to us how many songs Axl had added vocals to in 2007. We know he had added new vocals to songs intended for CD, but also to songs that didn't end up on CD. How many songs fall in the latter group in entirely unknown. Hopefully we will know the answer in not too long :)

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 4

The main reason why Absurd and Hardschool was released and not some of the unknown tracks? 

I believe there has been a large demand for Hard School to be released amongst fans, it was well received from the leaks and is generally a tune that fits with Slash and Duffs input. 

Absurd is b-side material and is exactly what it is - its the b-side to the single Hard Skool.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

I've made a bet with him. He has promised to pay me 5000$ if that happens, so there's that. :lol:

Absolutely crazy to bet anything on this band! If there’s a way for them to let you down, they’ll find it. As much as I’d like Pele to be wrong, I think there’s a good chance of him winning this bet.

4 hours ago, Towelie said:

Or Axl knew these songs leaked and decided to put the leaked material out first? Tbh, that makes a lot more sense to me than your rationale.

Why did he put so-so material like Riad and IRS on Chinese in 2008 when he had great stuff like Hard Skool and Perhaps in the can? Because those songs had leaked and he didn't wanna waste them. 

I think the leaks influenced what songs were in play, but I don't think he included Rhiad, Scraped etc. for any other reason than he thought they were great songs that counter balanced his record of fairly ballady non-hardrocking songs.

I still love I.R.S too, I'd take it everyday and twice on sundays over Hardskool and Perhaps... although Perhaps is a decent song too.

10 hours ago, Pele said:

When do i get my $5k?

We made the bet on the first day of October and the timeframe was 10 years. So if you're right, you'll get the money on the first day of October in 2031.

21 minutes ago, Dangelus said:

Absolutely crazy to bet anything on this band! If there’s a way for them to let you down, they’ll find it. As much as I’d like Pele to be wrong, I think there’s a good chance of him winning this bet.

You wanna bet? :D As weird as this band is, I've been right on most of my educated guesses and I wish that I had bet on this band earlier. Based on all the facts that we have the probability that Pele is right is extremely low.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I think the leaks influenced what songs were in play, but I don't think he included Rhiad, Scraped etc. for any other reason than he thought they were great songs that counter balanced his record of fairly ballady non-hardrocking songs.

Yes, there might have been various reasons why some songs made CD. For example, Axl chose to finish Sorry, Shackler's Revenge and Scraped in 2005-07 although he had other songs ready with vocals (Hardschool, Atlas, etc.), some of which were arguably better, imo. He probably did that as a gesture to Buckethead, to "make up" for that press release and maybe as an effort to lure him back in.

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, there might have been various reasons why some songs made CD. For example, Axl chose to finish Sorry, Shackler's Revenge and Scraped in 2005-07 although he had other songs ready with vocals (Hardschool, Atlas, etc.), some of which were arguably better, imo. He probably did that as a gesture to Buckethead, to "make up" for that press release and maybe as an effort to lure him back in.

Plus, I think he simply wanted to save some big guns for future albums. They already did that in the Appetite days when they chose to include Anything Goes on AFD instead of Don't Cry for example. 

GNR is not the only band that does this. It shouldn't be surprising that bands don't always put all of their best material on one album.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I think he would have loved to get Bucket back, so that probably was a factor in 1. keeping his guitar tracks largely 2. Keeping songs Bucket had a large part in writing.... but I don't think Axl released anything on Chinese that he didn't consider a great song and the right fit and feel for the record, so Bucket considerations would come after that. We're definitely overanalysing, but I feel like Axl is the kind of guy who would have stayed up over multiple nights looking at the complete finished tracklist (whatever that was at the time 20 songs?) thinking what is the best group of songs, what's the sequencing etc.

34 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I think he would have loved to get Bucket back, so that probably was a factor in 1. keeping his guitar tracks largely 2. Keeping songs Bucket had a large part in writing.... but I don't think Axl released anything on Chinese that he didn't consider a great song and the right fit and feel for the record, so Bucket considerations would come after that. We're definitely overanalysing, but I feel like Axl is the kind of guy who would have stayed up over multiple nights looking at the complete finished tracklist (whatever that was at the time 20 songs?) thinking what is the best group of songs, what's the sequencing etc.

Brain said there were 20-something finished songs with him on drums and reckons they finished some more with Frank.

So, at the very least, there were 10 more completed songs at the time CD was released.

13 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Brain said there were 20-something finished songs with him on drums and reckons they finished some more with Frank.

So, at the very least, there were 10 more completed songs at the time CD was released.

Interesting! very interesting🤔

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

The problem is that people keep responding.

Yep. I'm probably responsible for 10+ pages of the thread myself because I kept falling into the trap of replying to him. I finally stopped and that's why the thread isn't 200 pages longer now lol 

• Like 2

I think we're reaching new levels of ridiculous thinking here.

The leaks affected what he released? He chose to release Absurd and Hard Skool because they already leaked two years ago?

The overwhelming majority of the population doesn't know or care about the leaks. I guarantee you if you went to a *Guns N' Roses* show, over 90% of the crowd doesn't know or care about the leaks. The band is good about pulling them down off the internet. I'd heard them back when they leaked and, thoroughly unimpressed, deleted them from my hard drive. When I wanted to listen to them again this year when Absurd dropped, I found it surprisingly difficult to find a good torrent for them. The point is: you have to really want to hear these leaks. And no one really does, so the leaks had nothing to do with it.

I'm not even sure what the mentality is - 'these have been tainted, so give them away?' It doesn't make sense.

This is starting to remind me of when a band releases a shitty sounding single and fans start claiming that the album mix will be much better. It's wishful thinking.

I don't know what Axl has in the can, but I'm willing to bet that there are no usable vocals on there. He probably *does* have *hundreds* of pieces of music just "ready to go"...if he would only finish them and add vocals. Which he likely hasn't. Either because he doesn't care, he's suffering from enormous creative block, or for whatever reason thinks his voice can't do it (unlikely, considering his voice in 2016 was strong enough and studio magic can do wonders). But he released Absurd and Hard Skool for one reason - they had vocals already recorded and ready to go.

• Like 1

I will also say that it's a damn shame that Axl doesn't seem interested in writing new music with Slash and Duff, because this fanbase is really incredible and dedicated.

We are now in an offcycle for a band that hasn't put out an album since 2008 and, since then, has only released 2 singles of songs written in the late 90s/early 2000s, and yet this message board is on fire.

I'm a U2 fan (I know, I know. Shut up.) and the band put out their last album in late 2017 and toured as recently as late 2019. Their message boards are *crickets* right now.