The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

7 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Yes. The band is a business and will exist as long as Slash, Duff and Axl want to make money. Even if they were to fall out, they would still likely keep the operation running purely for the income. They all need each other to make the big bucks.

do you think Axl and Slash need Duff to make big bucks? not to take anything away from him, I think he's musically very important to the Gn'R sound, live and in the studio.

19 minutes ago, Rovim said:

do you think Axl and Slash need Duff to make big bucks? not to take anything away from him, I think he's musically very important to the Gn'R sound, live and in the studio.

I don't think Duff is relevant for selling out stadiums but also not for any break up. If Axl and Slash keep it going, Duff is on board.

1 minute ago, Free Bird said:

I don't think Duff is relevant for selling out stadiums but also not for any break up. If Axl and Slash keep it going, Duff is on board.

I think they're going to keep it going, the 3 of them, but yeah, imo, it was always about Axl and Slash for most fans as a live attraction which is how you mainly make money nowdays, even if Duff is very valuable musically for Gn'R.

• Like 2

I think it’s safe to say the touring isn’t stopping for at least a few more years. The way the band members talk about shows makes it sound like it’s a continuing deal, a “machine” as they once called it. The band members aren’t spring chicken but they’re also not old-old yet, there are rockstars in their 70’s touring and going strong. I’m sure touring will continue for at least another few world tours.

The question instead, that we should be asking, is is how long are fans going to be supporting these shows if there’s no new album or Axl’s voice continues to dwindle? Are they gonna eventually release more stuff to change that, or will they just downsize to arenas to compensate? I can’t see them cycling more stadium world tours with how things are, but then again we’ve been saying that since 2016. So it depends when the breaking point is for the fans.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Not necessarily, but he is undoubtedly a big part of the band and most fans of GNR will know Duff. Even then, it's really inconsequential since the Guns N' Roses trademark is officially a partnership composed of Axl, Slash and Duff, so it's not in any of their interests to stop the operation.

3 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Not necessarily, but he is undoubtedly a big part of the band and most fans of GNR will know Duff. Even then, it's really inconsequential since the Guns N' Roses trademark is officially a partnership composed of Axl, Slash and Duff, so it's not in any of their interests to stop the operation.

yeah I just meant from a financial standpoint and in a hypothetical situation where Duff couldn't or didn't want to do it anymore, I don't think it would have made that big of a difference to the band's earnings. Most fans know who Duff is, but I think the vast majority of Gn'R fans that want to attend a show would still buy a ticket, even if it was just Axl/Slash and whoever was up on the stage filling the bass spot.

Edited by Rovim

2 hours ago, BucketEgg said:

if GnR release a new album,, but it's a cover album like the Spaghetti Incident, how happy or sad would that make you?

If they did something interesting with the covers then I'd be interested, like what they did with I Feel Good. But... no, if a record comes it really needs to be all original material at this point, even the bonus tracks... GNR do not have the leeway to get away with another covers album considering their discography... and that some consider their last release as The Spaghetti Incident🤣

2 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I think it’s safe to say the touring isn’t stopping for at least a few more years. The way the band members talk about shows makes it sound like it’s a continuing deal, a “machine” as they once called it. The band members aren’t spring chicken but they’re also not old-old yet, there are rockstars in their 70’s touring and going strong. I’m sure touring will continue for at least another few world tours.

The question instead, that we should be asking, is is how long are fans going to be supporting these shows if there’s no new album or Axl’s voice continues to dwindle? Are they gonna eventually release more stuff to change that, or will they just downsize to arenas to compensate? I can’t see them cycling more stadium world tours with how things are, but then again we’ve been saying that since 2016. So it depends when the breaking point is for the fans.

I think they'll try the stadium thing a few more times. Maybe a tour where where they play to half filled stadiums. Then an arena tour, same setlist though. They're milking it to the extreme, but with good reviews and fans willing to keep going, why wouldn't they. 

9 hours ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Did you make those "observations" while on medication?

I don’t take any medication. I think that the worse thing that can happen to the band at this point is going into any sort of real recording session, the kind that Slash suggested might possibly maybe take place after next years touring concludes. Basically it won’t amount to much and it may be the end of this current relationship. In some ways, I think Axl knows this. 

53 minutes ago, smokingarthur said:

I don’t take any medication. I think that the worse thing that can happen to the band at this point is going into any sort of real recording session, the kind that Slash suggested might possibly maybe take place after next years touring concludes. Basically it won’t amount to much and it may be the end of this current relationship. In some ways, I think Axl knows this. 

Ok, Nostradamus. Now the lottery numbers please

It doesn't bother me as much that they constantly tour as much that Axl wasted most of his vocal prime in his 30's and 40's while touring endlessly in his 50's and now 60's. Like how awesome would some 1999 concerts have been or even 2004-05?

I think the release of Chinese Democracy in 2008 made Axl done with recording songs while Guns became purely a touring band. They've been touring almost every year since 2009 with the exception of 2015 and 2020-21 being mostly wiped out by Covid.

Edited by mystery
  • Like 3

https://www.a-4-d.com/t7535-2022-12-04-stuff-new-zealand-guns-n-roses-on-that-time-axl-rose-wore-an-all-blacks-jersey-duff

duff in this interview:

As well as the focus on health and wellbeing, it seems there’s a resilience among the band that they might never have had. Has Guns N’ Roses actually been setting itself up for the future? To quote the opening lines of Terminator 2, which featured the band’s Illusion-era You Could be Mine: “The future has not been written. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves."

“I don't think we were thinking in those terms like setting a foundation for later,” says McKagan. “We just been going, like just kind of got the blinders on. We're just going for it. It's not like a plan. We don't have a big plan.”

It's great to hear that Duff feels that the band is in top form physically and mentally, but

"We don't have a big plan.”

😭

Well I hope there is at least a small plan somewhere. Who's in charge of the planning?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, BucketEgg said:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t7535-2022-12-04-stuff-new-zealand-guns-n-roses-on-that-time-axl-rose-wore-an-all-blacks-jersey-duff

duff in this interview:

As well as the focus on health and wellbeing, it seems there’s a resilience among the band that they might never have had. Has Guns N’ Roses actually been setting itself up for the future? To quote the opening lines of Terminator 2, which featured the band’s Illusion-era You Could be Mine: “The future has not been written. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves."

“I don't think we were thinking in those terms like setting a foundation for later,” says McKagan. “We just been going, like just kind of got the blinders on. We're just going for it. It's not like a plan. We don't have a big plan.”

It's great to hear that Duff feels that the band is in top form physically and mentally, but

"We don't have a big plan.”

😭

Well I hope there is at least a small plan somewhere. Who's in charge of the planning?

They do have the plan- tour the arse off it. They won't rest until the global population is clothed in skull depictions of them. 

• Haha 3

I don't understand why they have to do yet another run next summer before hitting the studio. The only logical conclusion would be they're gonna release another batch of singles, whether two or just one, and play them then (after all, they already are in delay with this, considering Slash's words). But then, I shouldn't rely on logic too much here, should I. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I don't understand why they have to do yet another run next summer before hitting the studio. The only logical conclusion would be they're gonna release another batch of singles, whether two or just one, and play them then (after all, they already are in delay with this, considering Slash's words). But then, I shouldn't rely on logic too much here, should I. 

any piece of information that Slash shares has some value I think cause he must get updates from Axl on what he wants to do, but who's to say that Axl won't change his mind when it comes to when he wants to do it or how? 

it's not like Slash was 100% wrong, product got released but I look at it more like broad strokes, and even when Slash is talking about recording new shit it's "I want" to do some recordings probably cause he knows it's up to Axl to give the go ahead. Just to be clear, I'm not saying this is for sure how Gn'R operates and that it's ideal, just guess work.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Rovim said:

any piece of information that Slash shares has some value I think cause he must get updates from Slash on what Axl wants to do, but who's to say Axl won't change his mind when it comes to when he wants to do it or how? 

it's not like Slash was 100% wrong, product got released but I look at it more like broad strokes, and even when Slash is talking about recording new shit it's "I want" to do some recording probably cause he knows it's up to Axl to give the go ahead. Just to be clear, I'm not saying this is for sure how Gn'R operates and that it's ideal, just guess work.

Yeah, I mean I believe this is what the general route is supposed to be. But if they do want to work on that new material right after the next year's tour anyway, 2023 will be basically yet another year wasted on touring that we've had enough of already. Logic would say take some time off and start working on it already in early 2023 instead of doing yet another run of shows. Even if they add one or two new songs, it's essentially still NITL. It's not like they (and particularly Axl) are getting any younger. Idk man. If they said fuck it, we'll just tour the greatest hits for the rest of our career, I'd be fine with it. But this lengthy touring and time offs, always promising future music, it's just lame. I'm just trying to find some coherence in it. I know they don't have to rush anything. But still, time flies. 

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

Why not simply because they enjoy touring more than they enjoy releasing music?

5 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Yeah, I mean I believe this is what the general route is supposed to be. But if they do want to work on that new material right after the next year's tour anyway, 2023 will be basically yet another year wasted on touring that we've had enough of already. Logic would say take some time off and start working on it already in early 2023 instead of doing yet another run of shows. Even if they add one or two new songs, it's essentially still NITL. It's not like they (and particularly Axl) are getting any younger. Idk man. If they said fuck it, we'll just tour the greatest hits for the rest of our career, I'd be fine with it. But this lengthy touring and time offs, always promising future music, it's just lame. I'm just trying to find some coherence in it. I know they don't have to rush anything. But still, time flies. 

but their actions speak for themselves imo: 17 songs in 30 plus years. 2 20 year old tunes since the reunion, 2 box sets, (indicating they're "taking advantage" of nostalgia in more than one way)   no full album of original material released.... waiting on Axl to change is a waste of time imho. Expecting it to be different is a waste of time. It's clear what their priorities are.

I think they have intentions to do more, but I highly doubt the pace of it is going to improve anytime soon, it's probably not going to even come close to what maybe most people think it should be, even after all this time of Axl not really showing any signs of changing approaches, do you really need them to come out and say it?

maybe it would come at the price of fuckin' up with the value of the product they seem to be trying to sell which is "we're more than a nostalgia act" but they are until they move forward by releasing a new album or at the very least a "new" album.

the priority for at least next year is touring yet again it seems. The best I can hope for is I think a few reworked CD ll tunes in the near future and maybe if we're in luck, an album eventually.

So no new music in 2022 then? Unless we get a surprise Christmas Day release or something? 

I thought at the absolute minimum this year we'd have got one new song, or more likely two songs on vinyl / CD, like we got with Absurd / Hard Skool.

And now they have the cheek to announce 2023 tour dates, this band is beyond help!

2 minutes ago, jackparker123 said:

So no new music in 2022 then? Unless we get a surprise Christmas Day release or something? 

I thought at the absolute minimum this year we'd have got one new song, or more likely two songs on vinyl / CD, like we got with Absurd / Hard Skool.

And now they have the cheek to announce 2023 tour dates, this band is beyond help!

I don't think they need any help considering they do what they want to do and earn big bucks doing it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't think they need any help considering they do what they want to do and earn big bucks doing it. 

I guess that for some fans it's difficult to accept that they do it for themselves, mainly. I don't think it means that Axl is not interested at all in releasing more music, I think more will be released, but there must come a point where expectations should be met with reality, surely.

• Like 1