Online ordering of non essential items during Coronavirus crisis?

gavgnr

I don't know the answer to that. On one hand businesses don't want to go bust or have to lay off staff. On the other many employees are unhappy to still have to be working in environments that are potentially unsafe (large warehouses etc..).

I ordered a garden chair because if I can't go out much all summer I want to at least sit out in the sun and fresh air and my old one broke. Unethical? Selfish? Possibly, if I couldn't buy it I suppose I would have lived without it.

19 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Same argument applies to ordering takeaways, the delivery drivers, and everyone is ordering those (apart from Chinese!). 

I suppose at a push you could argue that large bulky items may require more than one person to move thus forcing people in to closer proximity than recommended. It's not a lot but it's all I've got. :lol: 

1 hour ago, alfierose said:

I ordered a garden chair because if I can't go out much all summer 

Selfish bugger! You just killed somebody's nana! :lol: 

Edited by Dazey
  • Haha 2

it's the only way most businesses make a small profit these days, as non essential stores are closed.

those people need to be able to buy food too.

Of course, that leaves out smaller companies without a webshop. For them, it's lesson learned I suppose.

I think when all is said and done, more businesses are going to install webshops, and there'll be even less brick and mortar stores.

the same will apply to restaurants where you'll see a shift to delivery focused business models, even for more culinary meals

I've been ordering lots, especially locally. Just supporting the economy. Small stores are happy with it, thanking customers with free delivery and extra chocolates and other freebies 😊 Largest I ordered was a lounge chair, like Alfie 😁 Everything was delivered by just one person though.

I've seen one store not delivering large items. I only now realize that's probably because it has to be delivered by more than one person :facepalm:

I would assume a 25 kilo item can be delivered by one person, no? Maybe on a trolley or sth?

In my experience so far the local businesses are happy to have the business and they've streamlined staff to make things as safe and efficient as possible. I've even been ordering my beer and liquor from local breweries and distilleries who are doing porch drops. In my opinion, if doing some work around the house or getting that Nintendo Switch is going to help you stay sane and positive during this then I don't see the harm as long as you aren't directly putting people in harm's way. While I understand the whole "this isn't a paid vacation" mentality, you've got to stay sane. I feel that I can do that by staying home to do my part and support the local businesses who have chosen to offer continued services from behind closed doors.

I have also ordered some non-essential items online, and no guilty conscience. A friend of mine works at an international parcel service in the head office, and has confirmed that they are actually glad, that there is now almost as much going on, as usual just before christmas, because this way their employees have a secure job, whilest others have to be afraid of loosing theirs.

Btw, he also confirmed that their delivery men get more tip then ever before, i think that's nice, caus it means that people really appreciate their services during this time.

55 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I've even been ordering my beer and liquor from local breweries and distilleries 

These ARE essentials , cheers !

Edited by EricA
  • Like 1

Here in the US, Amazon is allowing orders of non essential items but they're stocking and shipping essential items more and faster, which makes sense. 

I ordered something from Guitar Center directly the other day. It actually shipped and arrived faster than it was supposed to, but they have no essential items to prioritize, so that wasn't a surprise. 

I've seen some stories online where people have offered TP, hand sanitizer or whatever to delivery drivers. I thought that was neat. We didn't hoard those items, but we do have a good amount, so I asked the UPS driver if he needed anything when he dropped off the GC delivery the other day. He said he didn't, but appreciated the offer. 

Up in the great white north here everything seems to be shipping relatively on time (once sent that is). So far, anything I've ordered that was shipped by Canada Post has only been a day later than the expected delivery based on tracking. Third party (UPS, FedEx, etc...) has all been right on time. Kudos to all the delivery drivers!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gavgnr said:

Just wondered what people’s thoughts are in this. My partner wants to order an item of furniture. Whilst not particularly large, it is quite heavy (about 25kg).

is it unethical to be ordering non essential items at this time?

I ordered paint and stuff for decorating, a Pearl Jam CD and a few other things for the garden. There's no problem with it. 

Get it ordered. 

• Like 1

I've been ordering stuff for other people just as a little surprise.  Got tired of watching all the delivery trucks showing up at other people's so I ordered myself something.  The delivery drivers and the lawn mowing guys, are the only things I see moving out there.

It's something I've been considering. Since the lockdown, I've bought a lovely dress. Otherwise, I'm trying my best to avoid Amazon and only purchase from local retailers. 

I think we all need to do what we have to to get by. Lockdown is hard, and I wouldn't judge anyone negatively for trying to make life easier right now. 

I don't get this? Anything I've ordered from amazon.com has been delivered. I've ordered anything from clothes to cds to movies and vitamins. Are any of these items necessary? To me yeah, not sure about it?

I know amazon.com is hiring more workers for their warehouses and drivers, so they must be doing very well.

I hear JC Penney might have to file for bandrupcy and that sucks. All these stores, big and small are suffering due to the virus and some even before the virus.

Just see to see them closed for good.

• 2 years later...

I appreciate this is an older thread and my apologies for bumping it. I work as a postman in the UK and during the pandemic we were delivering more parcels than at xmas 2019. Some of the stuff was usual items like cds/dvds, some were essential items such as PPE, and Cleaning products. But what annoyed me was when people were ordering things out of boredom. I delivered 128 toilet rolls to one house. I delivered, and I kid you not, a fucking petrol strimmer. Some of it was clearly not essential and was just ordered for the sale of it.

While I dont begrudge People ordering stuff as it keeps me in a job, comman sense should of prevailed. I was going to around 600 houses every day delivering and I said to one person "is this really essential?" Turns out said customer rang my office and had a go at my boss for saying that what's considered essential to Some is considered not essential to others. So how do you define what is an essential purchase at what isn't?

• Haha 1