• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Riot shields or bust.  

Cant beleive its taken the band 3 months to do this, and Fernando only agreeing to do something like this when told to him directly by the fans. If GNR want to look at being a top tier band this

LARGER! LARGER TEXT!!! I CAN'T READ!!!

3 hours ago, t-p-d-a said:

they even had a fuckin' helicopter

I forget as time passes but I’m sure there was some bullshit excuse doing the rounds that there was an issue resulting in the ‘in house’ video folks recording the gig but that they had inadequate cameras for the job (helicopter cameras used for TV reporting etc).

What that tiny snippet proves is A) the footage exists and B) it looks quality so the original ‘excuse’ doing the rounds was garbage.

So then - why is this not released.....regardless of all the stuff we know regarding management.....what possible reason could there be to not release this gig which is during ‘the sweet spot’ of the tour AND probably had loads of resources thrown at it. If it was in-house....did the venue pick up the tab? If so - can’t imagine they’re happy to not be getting some kind of kickback on the release? Fuck sake man - just release the gig (particularly if it’s he one that Fernando alluded to) and let’s enjoy it and rock the fuck out. Why so difficult? 😤

33 minutes ago, UseYourDemocracyIII said:

One of the many Slash Godfather themes posted to Instagram. Seems to be circa 2017 considering the use of tremolo picking.

Nice, I'll add it to the first post.

Pretty sure it's from 2016, can't remember which show off the top of my head though.

On 11/30/2020 at 12:24 PM, Lies They Tell said:

A major reason why people stopped caring about a new GNR record is, because GNR kinda became a joke when Slash left the band. 

But when Slash and Axl reunited even many casuals wanted to witness that, because GNR is a legendary band.

But most people lump it in the same category with other old bands. Very few people are expecting them to release new material ever again. Most people have never even heard Chinese Democracy. 

That's why it's super important to create as much hype as possible when they release their next record. Not release it at the worst possible time. That has kinda been my point. When casuals hear the new GNR single  I guarantee you, there will still be people who are surprised to hear that Slash is back in the band. It's no secret that the mainstream media is bad at informing people about rock music. So people are more likely to hear about these things through friends. But people don't really meet their friends during quarantine. So the best time to make the release of the comeback album as big as it possibly can be is to release it after the pandemic is over. There should be a tour, press and promotion, a song in a movie and all that shit. That would be the best way to create hype and make as many casuals hear about the album as possible. At the same time the comeback album would also boost ticket sales, so I think it's very much understandable why they're not releasing the album during a pandemic.

Why did I talk about the streaming numbers then? Because people are downplaying the relevance of GNR. Streaming numbers don't tell you everything about what peoole are listening to obviously, because older people listen to albums mostly. But it tells you a lot about what kind of older music still resonate with younger audiences. People here are comparing GNR to Whitesnake for crying out loud. Most young people have never even heard of Whitesnake. Gnr wipes the floor with Whitesnake when it comes to streaming numbers. The fact that GNR is pretty much equal to The Rolling Stones when it comes to streaming numbers is a pretty big deal. It doesn't mean that GnR is as big as The Rolling Stones, but in the eyes of the younger audiences they are pretty close. The fact that GNR has songs in the top 500 most streamed songs is huge. Very few older bands are as streamed. Young people who like rock music most likely listen to Guns n' Roses. Not even the album Chinese Democracy is completely irrelevant. It's a more popular album than Black Sabbaths 13 or Mötley Crues Saints of Los Angeles at least with the younger audiences.

I've been arguing with people over if it's possible for GNR to still affect their legacy. Will they forever be remembered only because of AFD and UYI albums or can they still release a legendary album and songs that will be remembered as some of their best songs ever. Is the next GNR album doomed to be forgotten or is it possible that future generations will consider it one of the legendary GNR albums? I've been arguing about this and that's why I mentioned that when you look at the streaming numbers, it seems like in the eyes of the younger generations This I Love is already more popular than deep cuts like Coma, Locomotive and Double Talkin Jive and it's already almost as popular as Yesterdays. So is it really a far fetched idea that now when Slash is back in the band, they could create songs that future generations will consider some of their best songs? I think it's entirely possible. I'm not making predictions, but I think it's possible. That seems to be a controverial statement since I've had to defend that point of view here.

Gnrs future studio albums are doomed to sit below afd and uyi... that is what it is. 

As for making a big statement comeback, all bells and whistles... there will still be people who do not know gnr have a record our, there will be people who don't know Chinese is out, there will be people surprised that gnr are still an "active" band. 

Your premise of waiting to capture the most peoples attention falls apart, because the people that are interested will seek lyr the record if it's released today or 5yrs from now, pandemic or no pandemic.

Streaming also means something of course! but it absolutely is not the full picture, and if you base everything related to a nostalgia band like gnr on streaming your results are going to be off! 

The new album will be accepted more than CD,  but it's never going to please everyone or compare to albums that people grew up enjoying first 25/30yrs. If they released it tomorrow or 5yrs from now, you're looking at the same reaction and sales figures. Like I said before, the only possible chance of a greater response is if the album somehow breaks the mainstream... unfortunately whatever music Slash and co write is not the mainstream, so there is a limited interest in comparison to 30yrs ago when uyi came out.

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 2
On 12/11/2020 at 12:24 PM, NachoLZ said:

Snippets of the Dodger Stadium proshot which was done for a dvd are at 1:20

Was at that gig!  Damn I really hope that sees the light of day in full sometime, not just because of the personal connection but because in my opinion it was one of the overall better nights of 2016, which was already a great GNR year to begin with

15 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Gnrs future studio albums are doomed to sit below afd and uyi... that is what it is. 

As for making a big statement comeback, all bells and whistles... there will still be people who do not know gnr have a record our, there will be people who don't know Chinese is out, there will be people surprised that gnr are still an "active" band. 

Your premise of waiting to capture the most peoples attention falls apart, because the people that are interested will seek lyr the record if it's released today or 5yrs from now, pandemic or no pandemic.

Streaming also means something of course! but it absolutely is not the full picture, and if you base everything related to a nostalgia band like gnr on streaming your results are going to be off! 

The new album will be accepted more than CD,  but it's never going to please everyone or compare to albums that people grew up enjoying first 25/30yrs. If they released it tomorrow or 5yrs from now, you're looking at the same reaction and sales figures. Like I said before, the only possible chance of a greater response is if the album somehow breaks the mainstream... unfortunately whatever music Slash and co write is not the mainstream, so there is a limited interest in comparison to 30yrs ago when uyi came out.

I'm pretty sure, I had this conversation already with someone else. I have no interest in repeating everything that I already said.

So all I'm gonna say is that there's a huge area between being a massive mainstream hit and being listened only by the people who would would search for your music anyway. It's not either this or that. You can have an album that grabs the attention of tons of casual people who would normally never even think about searching for new GNR music, without the album being a massive mainstream hit.

You can believe what ever you want to believe. I don't really care. I've explained my point of view already. It's entirely possible for the next GNR album to be viewed by the future generations as one of the legendary GNR albums. It's not doomed to be forgotten. And yes, the timing of the release does matter.

9 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

I'm pretty sure, I had this conversation already with someone else. I have no interest in repeating everything that I already said.

So all I'm gonna say is that there's a huge area between being a massive mainstream hit and being listened only by the people who would would search for your music anyway. It's not either this or that. You can have an album that grabs the attention of tons of casual people who would normally never even think about searching for new GNR music, without the album being a massive mainstream hit.

You can believe what ever you want to believe. I don't really care. I've explained my point of view already. It's entirely possible for the next GNR album to be viewed by the future generations as one of the legendary GNR albums. It's not doomed to be forgotten. And yes, the timing of the release does matter.

One a million chance of that though🤣 an act like GNR having a massive mainstream hit this far into their career is just so unlikely. I can't think of any band like GNR that has managed to do it. Yes, they'll achieve top 10 (probably no 1) on the rock billboard chart, but will they top the regular chart? we'll see, and if they do? we're talking about 1-2 weeks max! and then buh-bye!! The obstacle remains that the style of music GNR (Hypothetically😉) write is absolutely not the popular music of today.

The next album will 1000000000% be enjoyed by the (most) fans here, but it will fly by without much notice to anyone who normally doesn't pay attention (even with a huge promotion machine and tour). Ok... so! there's about 6-8 weeks of interest in a new record, that's the initial single 3-4 week build before the album drops, then there's the official full album release, then there's about a week to 2 weeks of consistent press, after which the album has peaked and interest goes down. This is the same cycle whether the album's released in 2019 or 2020 or 2021! It will be a big deal in the same way Power up WAS a big deal.

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

One a million chance of that though🤣

One in a million chance of what?

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

an act like GNR having a massive mainstream hit this far into their career is just so unlikely.

Did you even read what I said? I specifically said that they don't need a massive mainstream hit in order for the next GNR record to be considered one of the classic GNR albums by the future generations. There's a lot of area between a massive mainstream hit and being listened to only by people who would search for your music anyway. So why are you arguing about if GNR can make a massive mainstream hit? Who are you talking to? Let's not argue about totally different things here.

Like I said, I'm not interested in having the EXACT same discussion over and over again. You have NO new arguments here, so go read my old  posts. You're not the first one who replied to my post and I've gone through this conversation already.

When you look at streaming numbers  which are a good indication of what the young people (in other words future generations) actually listen to, many songs on Chinese Democracy are already more popular than most of the songs on the Use Your Illusion albums, so it's not at all far fetched to think that the next GNR album has potential to be considered one of the  legendary GNR albums now that Slash is back in the band too. They don't need a massive mainstream hit for that. But making the release of the album as big as it can be still helps a lot in achieving that, because of all the reasons I've mentioned in my earlier discussions. You can't make it as big as it possibly can be during the pandemic. It's just not factually possible.

• Gordon Comstock changed the title to NITL live videos on youtube - Exit 111 Festival (2019) debuts today
7 minutes ago, gnrjanus said:

the seeker

Why is The Seeker a fact? The thumbnail on the select video is from Black Hole Sun, here's an audience recording. https://streamable.com/j2f1h4

edit: judging purely by the guitars Slash is playing and some of the background videos, this select will have at least: Attitude, SOYL, KOHD and Black Hole Sun.

Edited by Gordon Comstock
5 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Why is The Seeker a fact? The thumbnail on the select video is from Black Hole Sun, here's an audience recording. https://streamable.com/j2f1h4

edit: judging purely by the guitars Slash is playing and some of the background videos, this select will have at least: Attitude, SOYL, KOHD and Black Hole Sun.

Also LALD, because of Slash playing his goldtop LP and the black and white screen split in 3 in the background 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Yawn

Why can't they select better performances of these songs, instead of random shows? Like for the seeker I would rather see a 2016 or 2017 performance.

If they were gonna do an all-covers select they should've at least used one of the 2017 shows with I Feel Good :axl:

• Like 1