08/03/21 - Boston, MA - Fenway Park

alfierose

Just now, Tom-Ass said:

I wasn't in there for Mammoth but I think they played 6:00-6:45

Going on at 6 on a Monday is rough, most people are barely finished work at that time. Guess there's curfews though so needs must! 

You got you're crazy and dead horse so that was worth the effort in itself!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Axl Rose aka God said:

Here's my review! 

This was my second show (first was NITL 2016 at Gillette). I'm a sucker for pyro and was a little bummed they didn't have it but whatever. Opener went on time, and I believe Guns went on SLIGHTLY late but barely. Acoustics in Fenway park are terrible, but to me honest it helped Axl's case a bit. Mickey was barely noticeable in person (at least from where I was in the Grandstand). He is 100% seeing a vocal coach or something. I noticed the songs were MUCH SLOWER. They're all played down a key on the tempo. To compare, watch a video of WTTJ from 2016 vs 2021. It's much slower. Axl is also skipping lyrics when he's winded rather than trying to force them out, and it's much better this way. There were moments he skipped entire lines, but the fans singing along made it fine. I also noticed he was trying to sing in a deeper voice rather than go high, and there were points where he was going between the two voices (I noticed it a lot during Sweet Child O mine). I feel like he is very aware of the "mickey" voice and is trying to do something different. The band are clearly making efforts (especially playing slower).

Slash was of course on point, nothing surprising there. Duff was fantastic. Absurd was an incredible surprise, knowing it's Silkworms doesn't matter to me because it honestly was just fucking rad to hear the "We're gonna try something new..." speech in person. It was one of my "list items" The merch truck was sold out of the exclusive shirt in everything but small by 6 also, so if you want it in person get there sooner! I was bummed to not get Patience, Don't Cry, or Coma but I had those in 2016 so I'm not too bummed. Absurd was such a welcome surprise I am okay with it. It gives me hope we'll hear Hard School! 

I think you make a good point about skipping lines and forgot to put that in my review. Instead of him seeing angry about it or like he didn’t care, he played it off like yeah audience your turn and came back strong each time after. I think almost every time he skipped a line he came back powerful with rasp which was fine. Sometimes he even acknowledged the audience singing and taking over by nodding or smiling. He played it off well

yes whatever he did in between Hershey and Fenway paid off and whatever he did while off the road certainly is noticeable, both with axl and the whole band. I truly got the feeling they all were trying their best and not just rushing through it and half assing it like some past reunion performances.

1 hour ago, Tyson said:

So what time would you say they actually came on stage at?

7:41 on the dot. Checked my Apple Watch. Ended at 10:18 then they came back out for bows and applause. 

Edited by Gunsdrummer63
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, RussTCB said:

This is the best mood I've seen on the forum in quite some time. It's like everyone is so disappointed / surprised and sad, but everyone is choosing to accept it and make the best of it with humor. Well done everyone! :)

Absolutely man, I loved it. Like someone said earlier, it fits Axl's current voice perfectly. It's just fun, I've been going around today saying "absurd" at random moments.😄

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Going on at 6 on a Monday is rough, most people are barely finished work at that time. Guess there's curfews though so needs must! 

Honestly man, people were in town early! I got there around 4pm and all the streets, bars and restaurants for blocks were packed with people wearing Guns shirts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Wish there was a video of Heaven Door... I thought it was amazing when Axl actually sang his signature "Hey Hey Hey Hey Hey" like the old days!!

Found one and watched the whole thing.. Enjoyed every minute of it.. The sing along part could be shortened up a bit by taking out a couple solos but I feel like overall it has recaptured some of the essence of their classic version.. 

• Like 1

This band...

I was ready to write an utterly defeated post in the Hershey Park thread, that performance was just devastating as a fan. Didn't get the chance to due to the forum going offline.

Was very worried this show would be another nail in the coffin. 

And then I wake up to see Silkworms has been performed.

Whatever Axl's issues were on that first night really hit him hard. I wonder if he blew his voice rehearsing. Thankfully they seem mostly gone. 

As it stands this tour is now shaping up nicely. Axl sounding good, they've adjusted the tempos, a bunch of new stuff in the set.

The only thing I wish they'd change is the order of the beginning of the setlist. Otherwise perfect.

Oh and bring back Don't Cry!!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

This band...

I was ready to write an utterly defeated post in the Hershey Park thread, that performance was just devastating as a fan. Didn't get the chance to due to the forum going offline.

Whatever Axl's issues were on that first night really hit him hard. I wonder if he blew his voice rehearsing. Thankfully they seem mostly gone. 

As it stands this tour is now shaping up nicely. Axl sounding good, they've adjusted the tempos, a bunch of new stuff in the set.

The only thing I wish they'd change is the order of the beginning of the setlist. Otherwise perfect.

I knew Hershey would be a clusterfuck, ive seen other bands come my way on the very first stop and it’s never good, I always try to go see a show in the middle of the tour, I’ve seen bands who were at the end of the tour and they are either tired, don’t care, burnt out or something else. I bought the cheapest tickets for Hershey. 

1 minute ago, GNR_RNR said:

This band...

His voice is still giving him trouble, things are still not at a place where Axl can say "Job done". Still dropping lines, and clearly breathless. It honestly sounds like he's working out how to sing these songs, almost like he didn't attend pretty tour rehearsals😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Probably the most ludicrous thing they could have done was play 'Silkworms/Absurd'. Which in my view is fucking fantastic. I've always had a soft spot for that song, and FINALLY it means the band have life! SOMETHING DIFFERENT! 

I'm actually really excited about this. Brilliant news. 

But.......it's also very weird. The song sort of worked in 2001, but in 2021? If ever a song has dated, it would be Silkworms. How will the 'woke world' react to it's lyrical content were it to be released? 

"Dragged down in the gutters it's more than you deserve, screaming fucking banshee you know that's what you are, pussy full of maggots" etc really is the sort of thing that people don't want to hear.....not to mention the fact that it's style REALLY won't be liked by the sort of people who rolling up to hear 'classic rock'. I mean, great, fuck those bores who want to put bands into moulds, but it's just SUCH an odd to thing to play when you consider these factors. 

Also, if the band are dusting off things from the late 90s, does this tell us Axl has written nothing since then? There are so many questions. 

Mainly though......I'm just thrilled they've done SOMETHING. That a lot of people really dislike Silkworms is sort of great too, A band making music will and probably should divide opinion. 

How was the rest of the show? As bad as Hershey? EDIT: just read the review above! 

What's going on with the lack of a bow? Have they ever NOT done that before? Even at really bad shows they have, right? Again, very odd. 

Actually, it would be a great statement to put someting like Absurd out these days, with these lyrics. It would even out children's books and socks, in a way. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AppetiteForDestruction said:

Has anyone liked WVH? I still wish it was the Pumpkins opening up, even know the latest album is garbage.  They are my two favorite bands

Yeah I was gonna go to this show back when the pumpkins were the planned openers. Had I known they were gonna resurrect silkworms I still woulda gone tho. Oh well!

Edited by rocknroll41

1 minute ago, North Korean Democracy said:

Maybe this is dumb but Axl looked in better shape than in 2017-2020 so props to him for that.

He did appear to be in slightly better shape.. Hopefully the tour will add to that. He was doing jumping jacks during Rocket Queen lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AppetiteForDestruction said:

Has anyone liked WVH? I still wish it was the Pumpkins opening up, even know the latest album is garbage.  They are my two favorite bands

I like WVH and his new album. I'm seeing them play a headline show the night before GnR so I'll be seeing them 2 nights in a row. I'm glad it's not Pumpkins this time personally. 

1 minute ago, Tom-Ass said:

He did appear to be in slightly better shape.. Hopefully the tour will add to that. He was doing jumping jacks during Rocket Queen lol

They hate Hershey for some reason, when I saw them in philly they were having fun, by Hershey it was meh. 

1 minute ago, MaskingApathy said:

I like WVH and his new album. I'm seeing them play a headline show the night before GnR so I'll be seeing them 2 nights in a row. I'm glad it's not Pumpkins this time personally. 

He sounds like the music I listened to in the 90s, won’t back down is the only song I do like the others are good.

3 minutes ago, AppetiteForDestruction said:

They hate Hershey for some reason, when I saw them in philly they were having fun, by Hershey it was meh. 

He sounds like the music I listened to in the 90s, won’t back down is the only song I do like the others are good.

Don't Back Down, won't back down is Tom Petty haha. Yeah there's definitely some 90s/early 2000s influences there.