08/03/21 - Boston, MA - Fenway Park

alfierose

6 minutes ago, agustingloger said:

I like Axl's aproach ... More mellow i think but he should use his low register the entire song. The final "When You look You see right trough me..." Is great! But then turns to mickey

I agree he needs to stay in a lower register throughout.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, batatadoce said:

Its still pretty awfull. Dead horse, better, the end of nightrain (to name a few) were especially hard to watch

Then you had the 2nd half of the rocket queen outro and he sounded good. There's still some voice in there, but he's gonna need to work to get it to a solid state.

The voice sounds pretty rough. I don't know what I expect at his age, though. It always seems like he is trying but just can't get the notes or sound of his voice anymore. I think with some vocal surgery/coaching again he can get back to how he sounded in 2016, which I think was very realistic for his age.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, kiwiguns said:

There are also other considerations. It might be that new sound or monitor techs are embedded in the touring crew and it's taken the first show and performance to get on top of these things. 

Thats a possibility given the sound issues reported from the Hershey show. 

These aren't kids straight of college on their first job. The people doing FOH and monitors are all veterans, they can get a basic mix going in almost any situation. Of course things can go wrong and everything but I think it's so much more likely that the sound on stage was fine but Axl was having an off day so he was constantly messing with his pack and signalling for more volume. I see this at loads of gigs when singers are having voice trouble. I don't know one way or the other though... I guess we'll go with what Axl said because we didn't hear what he had in his iem mix.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Then you had the 2nd half of the rocket queen outro and he sounded good. There's still some voice in there, but he's gonna need to work to get it to a solid state.

I get that and we've been in this ride multiple times, maybe its just my paranoia, but it seems that he is having a very hard time even sustaining falsetto without loosing pitch or slipping to a lower register, plus the trouble he has when trying to add rasp. It seems its not a question of mickey vs rasp anymore, it sounds a bit more problematic to my ears (then again, my opinion is not worth all that much due to my limited knowledge of the matter). I was listening to the iceland 18 bootleg, and not being all that much, there was some rasp in there and he could still hit, more or less, the higher notes. It seems his voice, at least live, is decayed quiet fast.

That being said, it wouldn't be the first time he surprise us and come out with some very impressive performances and I hope he will. Go AXL

11 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

The voice sounds pretty rough. I don't know what I expect at his age, though. It always seems like he is trying but just can't get the notes or sound of his voice anymore. I think with some vocal surgery/coaching again he can get back to how he sounded in 2016, which I think was very realistic for his age.

The sad thing is he had a year and a half off of touring to get vocal surgery and it doesn’t seem like he went through with it. I guess with the uncertainty of when the tour would resume he refrained from getting it. But who knows it’s all just speculation

Really sad at the end of nightrain it sounded like he said “I have no idea why my vocals are washed for that entire song”. I feel so bad for the dude it does seem like he’s trying.

5 minutes ago, batatadoce said:

I get that and we've been in this ride multiple times, maybe its just my paranoia, but it seems that he is having a very hard time even sustaining falsetto without loosing pitch or slipping to a lower register, plus the trouble he has when trying to add rasp. It seems its not a question of mickey vs rasp anymore, it sounds a bit more problematic to my ears (then again, my opinion is not worth all that much due to my limited knowledge of the matter). I was listening to the iceland 18 bootleg, and not being all that much, there was some rasp in there and he could still hit, more or less, the higher notes. It seems his voice, at least live, is decayed quiet fast.

That being said, it wouldn't be the first time he surprise us and come out with some very impressive performances and I hope he will. Go AXL

Oh I agree with all that, his voice is cracking and he's not quite hitting the sane high notes with ease... but that's  even a steady decline since 2018 really. As you said he's a hard man to count out, maybe playing absurd will light a fire under him?😄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gt72 said:

As bad as things looked in terms of ticket sales on Ticketmaster map recently it’s kind of a trip first 2 shows seemed almost full from the pics I’ve seen

The classic rock station in Boston, WZLX, was giving away at least one pair of tickets every hour on Monday. Not sure if there were other giveaways or drastically reduced ticket prices elsewhere.

I didn't go to this one. Not regretting it, but it would have been cool to see the debut of "Absurd" in person. I like the song musically and the way Axl sings it, but the lyrics are really juvenile, in my opinion. Seriously, "p*ssy full of maggots"? Maybe it's just the 50 year old me getting crotchety, but there is a female keyboardist in the band, too.

With the introduction of a new song and also "Hard Skool" still showing up on the list of alternates, it does bring a glimmer of hope that there could be at least an EP this fall.

22 minutes ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

The classic rock station in Boston, WZLX, was giving away at least one pair of tickets every hour on Monday. Not sure if there were other giveaways or drastically reduced ticket prices elsewhere.

I didn't go to this one. Not regretting it, but it would have been cool to see the debut of "Absurd" in person. I like the song musically and the way Axl sings it, but the lyrics are really juvenile, in my opinion. Seriously, "p*ssy full of maggots"? Maybe it's just the 50 year old me getting crotchety, but there is a female keyboardist in the band, too.

With the introduction of a new song and also "Hard Skool" still showing up on the list of alternates, it does bring a glimmer of hope that there could be at least an EP this fall.

an EP is a cop out if that's what they come up with after a long break. 

7 minutes ago, Muddy said:

Here’s my review of the show last night.

Mammoth were pretty good. Wolfie uses some kind of effect on his vocals which isn’t cool IMO. If you can’t make your voice sound that way naturally then don’t sing the songs. 

GNR were terrible. Frank destroys the songs. he completely changes the way the songs sound, He disregards signature drum fills and plays them all his own. I wonder if he ever actually listened to any of the records . I can’t tell who was worse in GNR, him or brain.

Axl has completely lost his voice . Either he talks the parts in a low voice with a bit of growl or he sings and sounds like Mickey Mouse . His microphone is very powerful though and he takes up a lot of the mix , even when he’s barely whispering he is louder than all the other instruments combined. 

The band sounded loose and disjointed. Slash is losing his chops as he gets older . He plays nervous without a few drinks in him I think and it effects his timing and feel.,Having a drummer that’s playing something completely different than what’s on the records isn’t helping any .

They announced a “new” song which turned out to be a reworked version of silkworms , axl screams “absurd “ a bunch of times for a chorus lol 

I was in section B5 and it sucked because there was chairs zip tied together, you couldn’t move or jump around or dance etc. it was very tight .

I traveled to Boston from Connecticut and between tickets and hotel it was very expensive . It was boring to hear the same old songs again, especially when they sound like shit playing them.

I know this is a very negative review and Guns N’ Roses is my favorite band of all time but that’s the truth in my opinion

I wasn't there, but the band sounded tight for the most part, I thought they sounded better than any of the previous years including Frank. But it's hard about Axl, and Frank does play his own fills(doesn't really bother me though)... I thought slash was also playing better even in the CD stuff. Again I only watched a handful of videos so that's not quite the same as seeing it and paying for it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muddy said:

I was in section B5 and it sucked because there was chairs zip tied together, you couldn’t move or jump around or dance etc. it was very tight .

I can't stand this about going to concerts and getting floor seats, they often just try to pack as many people in as possible and it is such a horrible experience when you are packed in your miserable little crammed space and can barely move

Edited by k12

57 minutes ago, k12 said:

I can't stand this about going to concerts and getting floor seats, they often just try to pack as many people in as possible and it is such a horrible experience when you are packed in your miserable little crammed space and can barely move

And you can also get stuck next to a drunk bird who fucks up your buzz like happened me at AC/DC last time round... 

Should never have taken her...

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Muddy said:

Here’s my review of the show last night.

Mammoth were pretty good. Wolfie uses some kind of effect on his vocals which isn’t cool IMO. If you can’t make your voice sound that way naturally then don’t sing the songs. 

GNR were terrible. Frank destroys the songs. he completely changes the way the songs sound, He disregards signature drum fills and plays them all his own. I wonder if he ever actually listened to any of the records . I can’t tell who was worse in GNR, him or brain.

Axl has completely lost his voice . Either he talks the parts in a low voice with a bit of growl or he sings and sounds like Mickey Mouse . His microphone is very powerful though and he takes up a lot of the mix , even when he’s barely whispering he is louder than all the other instruments combined. 

The band sounded loose and disjointed. Slash is losing his chops as he gets older . He plays nervous without a few drinks in him I think and it effects his timing and feel.,Having a drummer that’s playing something completely different than what’s on the records isn’t helping any .

They announced a “new” song which turned out to be a reworked version of silkworms , axl screams “absurd “ a bunch of times for a chorus lol 

I traveled to Boston from Connecticut and between tickets and hotel it was very expensive . It was boring to hear the same old songs again, especially when they sound like shit playing them.

I know this is a very negative review and Guns N’ Roses is my favorite band of all time but that’s the truth in my opinion

Interesting point about Axl's mic, I had wondered about that. 

8 hours ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

His voice is still far from good tbh.

Videos don’t do justice. Both my girlfriend and I took a handful of various videos and watching them back tonight we both agreed that 100% was not what we heard live and it wasn’t just axl. There were slash parts in our recordings that sounded lightly different. I think recordings over do the Mickey a bit. He sounded strong and clean largely with good chunks of rasp, especially early. His deep voice was incredibly strong too

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I wasn't there, but the band sounded tight for the most part, I thought they sounded better than any of the previous years including Frank. But it's hard about Axl, and Frank does play his own fills(doesn't really bother me though)... I thought slash was also playing better even in the CD stuff. Again I only watched a handful of videos so that's not quite the same as seeing it and paying for it

As @Tom-Asssaid I thought they sounded tight. Im a drummer, been playing for 20-25 years now and this was the best I heard Frank during the reunion. Was a bit looser (probably due to no click track and then slowing tempo down). His fills were his own which is fine. Brain uses his own fills in places too as did sorum. Technically he didn’t play the intro to NR the same live as on the record if were are getting really technical. 

slash sounded amazing. I’m guessing it’s cuz he brought back his vintage guitars and not the Gibson reproductions. Jess (I believe that’s the name of the guitar) was incredibly and sounded great on the AFD songs it was used on. That was missed during the last few tours. 

I think the above review was a bit harsh and critical. I certainly would see them again this tour and thought it was an all around solid performance that was a vast improvement from Hershey show and better than the show I saw in Hartford in 2018

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Brent fitz doesn’t play songs the same in SMKC albums as he does live but slash is fine with them, if not better with them. While it’s roughly the same there are differences. I really don’t think the drummer has much to do with it. I think it’s more of a “I’m slash and I’m back in gnr and I’m the reason we are selling tickets mostly right now so I have to be even better than usual and also distract people from axls voice when it gives out”. With Myles he can sort of lay back and be him

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gunsdrummer63 said:

Videos don’t do justice. Both my girlfriend and I took a handful of various videos and watching them back tonight we both agreed that 100% was not what we heard live and it wasn’t just axl. There were slash parts in our recordings that sounded lightly different. I think recordings over do the Mickey a bit. He sounded strong and clean largely with good chunks of rasp, especially early. His deep voice was incredibly strong too

I think that the live setting can mask imperfections a bit more - especially if the audience member is not wearing quality earplugs which can reduce audio distortion.  I have been to many shows where it sounds okay in person but the compression and lack of live sound waves going directly into your ear mask imperfections

• Like 1