Would this 1 disc Illusions tracklist have been as good as Appetite?

1 minute ago, PatrickS77 said:

Disagree. Estranged has more edge and is less saccharine. Especially if you want to pit it against AFD.

I've never been adverse to a bit of saccharine. You're talking to a guy who sees the merits of MJ's Heal The World. :lol:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Towelie said:

To be honest, I think it would've surpassed it. No tacky cover versions or b-grade material like Back Off Bitch or Garden of Eden. Just straight up killer rocknroll.

I had to omit Estranged as you can't have four 8+min epics on one album.

1. Right Next Door To Hell
2. Dust N Bones
3. Civil War
4. Bad Obsession 
5. Don't Cry
6. Locomotive
7. Breakdown
8. Double Talkin Jive
9. November Rain
10. The Garden
11. You Could Be Mine
12. Bad Apples
13. Coma

14 Years instead of Bad Obsession

Estranged instead of Breakdown

Don't Damn Me instead of Bad Apples

And probably Back Off Bitch instead of Right Next Door To Hell.

That would be:

1. Back Off Bitch
2. Dust N Bones
3. Civil War
4. 14 Years
5. Don't Cry
6. Locomotive
7. Estranged
8. Double Talkin Jive
9. November Rain
10. The Garden
11. You Could Be Mine
12. Don't Damn Me
13. Coma

Edit: That being said, I don't care for that talk about the Illusions being to long. With AFD, Lies and both Illusions Guns released 4 awesome records that made them one of the greatest bands in history.

Edited by Free Bird

30 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Disagree. Estranged has more edge and is less saccharine. Especially if you want to pit it against AFD.

Absolutely. I think November Rain is crap actually.

It's too saccharine.

I don't think the rasp voice suits the intro. Clean voice like Patience would have worked better.

It's too long.

It's way too indulgent on Axl's part, the other band members clearly think it's a drag playing it. Ask probably hates doing it now too.

The Slash 'solo' isn't really a solo, like SCOM. It's just a 4 bar loop repeated.

It's not even catchy. Doesn't have a chorus hook as the other hits do. If you ask the average person about it they might know of the song, but will struggle to recall how it 'goes'. 

15 minutes ago, Nice Boy said:

It's too saccharine.

I don't think the rasp voice suits the intro. Clean voice like Patience would have worked better.

It's too long.

It's way too indulgent on Axl's part, the other band members clearly think it's a drag playing it. Ask probably hates doing it now too.

The Slash 'solo' isn't really a solo, like SCOM. It's just a 4 bar loop repeated.

It's not even catchy. Doesn't have a chorus hook as the other hits do. If you ask the average person about it they might know of the song, but will struggle to recall how it 'goes'. 

1 and a half billion Youtube views and counting says otherwise.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

I've never been able to figure a way to get UYI down to 1 album that I'd be happy with. I like too many cuts on both, so it wouldn't fit on one CD. 

Definitely agree with this. Was just having a bit of fun. It irks me when people say GNR are a one album band, when UYI has more quality spread across it than most bands could hope for in their entire catalogue.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Towelie said:

To be honest, I think it would've surpassed it. No tacky cover versions or b-grade material like Back Off Bitch or Garden of Eden. Just straight up killer rocknroll.

I had to omit Estranged as you can't have four 8+min epics on one album.

1. Right Next Door To Hell
2. Dust N Bones
3. Civil War
4. Bad Obsession 
5. Don't Cry
6. Locomotive
7. Breakdown
8. Double Talkin Jive
9. November Rain
10. The Garden
11. You Could Be Mine
12. Bad Apples
13. Coma

no. both uyi's are better than afd

17 minutes ago, Frankfurt93 said:

no. both uyi's are better than afd

Wow, bold statement. 

I could perhaps agree that as a package deal, UYI1 and UYI2 could give AFD a run for its money, but I don't think either individual album matches up.

Edited by Towelie

20 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Wow, bold statement. 

I could perhaps agree that as a package deal, UYI1 and UYI2 could give AFD a run for its money, but I don't think either individual album matches up.

It depends, when you've gotten into GnR. For me it was 1991 with the Illusions. So those records will always be my favorites. A4D is an awesome records, but just a bit below the Illusions.

(Honestly there are some kind of "fillers" on A4D too. Anything Goes and You're Crazy are alright, but similar to Shotgun Blues and You ain't the first. I Like 'em, but not as much as the big guns. So I get Frankfurt93's opinion.) 

23 minutes ago, thelostrose said:

It depends, when you've gotten into GnR. For me it was 1991 with the Illusions. So those records will always be my favorites. A4D is an awesome records, but just a bit below the Illusions.

(Honestly there are some kind of "fillers" on A4D too. Anything Goes and You're Crazy are alright, but similar to Shotgun Blues and You ain't the first. I Like 'em, but not as much as the big guns. So I get Frankfurt93's opinion.) 

Why does things always have to be compared? UYI is just different. It expanded and, considering it's 30 tracks, in a way dilluted the GNR sound. It's not necessarily worse (or better). Just different.

• Like 4

In my opinion there isn't any combination of 12 songs from UYI would be as good as Appetite.. Thry could certainly still make a great album but not as good as Appetite. Here is mine.. If KOHD was closer to their earlier live version I would add it but the UYI version is just way over done...

Get In The Ring
You Could Be Mine
Dust N' Bones
Back Off Bitch
Don't Cry
Dead Horse
Breakdown
Civil War
Locomotive
Estranged
Don't Damn Me
November Rain

6 hours ago, Towelie said:

1 and a half billion Youtube views and counting says otherwise.

It has also been claimed that "100 million Bon Jovi fans can't be wrong". But it turns out they were all very, very wrong.

I rest my case lol 

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Nice Boy said:

It's too saccharine.

It's too long.

Hahahahahahah! Oh man, I actually agree with most of that. My view however did soften when I heard the original piano demo included in the AFD boxset. I thought that was not bad like. But I will ALWAYS skip the proper released version. 

11 hours ago, Nice Boy said:

It has also been claimed that "100 million Bon Jovi fans can't be wrong". But it turns out they were all very, very wrong.

I rest my case lol 

On fire! Hahahaha!

For me personally, you can't condense the UYI albums. They show a band at the height if their prime and popularity writing amazing songs.

AFD  is the album if you want a hard rock blast out.

CD if you want to hear a band experimenting and like music that makes you think about what you are listening to.

• Like 2

For me, if the track list had been as follows, choosing between Appetite or the best of the Illusions would be the hardest life choice I would EVER have to make:

1) Civil War  2)Yesterdays  3)Knocking on Heaven's Door  4)Breakdown  5)You Could Be Mine  6)Estranged  7)Don't Cry  8)November Rain  9) Coma  10) Dead Horse  11) Don't Damn Me  12) Right Next Door to Hell  13) Pretty Tied Up 

Edited by Tyson

Assuming they still would've made it 2 LP's, this would've been as great as AFD (and it would've just barely fit on a cd)

Side 1:
Civil War
You Could Be Mine
Perfect Crime
Live And Let Die

Side 2:
Right Next Door To Hell
Dust N' Bones
Pretty Tied Up
Don't Cry

Side 3:
The Garden
Garden Of Eden
Dead Horse
Don't Damn Me

Side 4:
Coma
Locomotive

I like it as it is, but it would have been much cooler to divide it up into 3 albums, and release them 2-3 years apart... add on TSI and you’ve got GNR releases in let’s say 1991 1993 1996 1999, then the 2002 version of CD. It would have been much more impressive as a back catalogue.

• Like 2

UYI could have been 2 Albums.

UYI 1 (1991) - The Guns Album

Right Next Door To Hell

Back of Bitch

Bad Obsession

Double Talkin Jive

Don't Damn Me

Bad Apples

Dead Horse

Coma

14 Years

Get in The Ring

Shotgun Blues

Pretty Tied Up

Locomotive 

You Could Be Mine

☆ 3 Singles (YCBM, Dead Horse, Coma)

UYI 2 (1994) - The Roses Album

Live And Let Die

Don't Cry

You Ain't The First

November Rain

The Garden

Civil War

Yesterdays

Knockin On Heavens Door

Breakdown

So Fine

Don't Cry (Alt lyrics)

Estranged

☆ 3 singles (Dont Cry, November Rain, Estranged)

39 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

I like it as it is, but it would have been much cooler to divide it up into 3 albums, and release them 2-3 years apart... add on TSI and you’ve got GNR releases in let’s say 1991 1993 1996 1999, then the 2002 version of CD. It would have been much more impressive as a back catalogue.

Post of the Year. Congrats!

On 3/22/2021 at 10:18 PM, Towelie said:

Wow, bold statement. 

they were better musicians on the UYI's, the songs were more complexed, drums more bombastic.

I also never liked how AFD was speed up in mix, while UYI had the real tempo.

Other than My World and Bad Obsession there is not a song I would cut out.   UYI's were the albums I listened to most in my liife and I can just say as magnificent as the day they came out.

Estranged, November Rain and Estranged,  Dead Horse, Back off, Bad Apples, Don't damn me...Breakdown, Locomotive, Pretty tied up...Civil war, Get in the ring....Right next door, DDTJ...YCBM, Don't cry....

Seriously, you can't have a better album than that.

I like illusions as a double album but if I was to choose for one album that would flow well it would be:

1. You Could Be Mine

2. Pretty Tied Up

3. Perfect Crime

4. 14 Years

5. Estranged 

6. Double Talkin Jive

7. Don’t Cry

8. Right Next Door To Hell

9. Civil War

10. Bad Obsession 

11. Knockin On Heavens Door

12. November Rain

There are songs I might like better that have not been added but I’m going for flow as well and this works well.

RIGHT NEXT DOOR...

BAD OBSESSION

DOUBLE TALKIN...

CIVIL WAR

YOU COULD BE MINE

ESTRANGED

LOCOMOTIVE 

THE GARDEN

COMA

DON'T CRY

PERFECT CRIME

NOVEMBER RAIN

but above all.....a different mixing compared to the one we found ourselves in our hands in 1991