06/11/22 - Solvesborg, SE - Sweden Rock Festival

alfierose

31 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

It should be better next month. Axl always gets better as the tour goes on. The first 5 shows or so are usually him at his worst in any given leg of a tour.

I feel like this really hasn't been true since like 2017. He's gotten persistently more terrible as the tours have progressed, with a few exceptions such as in Europe in 2018 where he started the tour with an absolutely diabolically bad performance.

• Like 3

Axl doesn’t sound good but everyone is being too hard on him. He’s still one of the greatest front men in R&R and he’s not singing off key. Don’t hear his voice clipping either but I haven’t heard many recent performances. Nobody could keep that raspy vocal style up for as long as he has. He can probably still do it but would likely blow his vocal chords for days after. He does need to find a tone/timbre that works for the songs much like Robert Plant did as he lost his original voice. Rod Stewart also comes to mind. Maybe even change the set list to match his vocal capabilities and not worry about every past hit.

He’s got the vocal chops to do it but I think he’s probably a work in progress right now. I wouldn’t be surprised if he finds a groove that fits. What he’s doing now does not and it’s definitely turning fans off but it’s not just him. The few YouTube clips I saw today the band is not very dynamic. I don’t know what’s up but they are just “off”. 

Cheers all…  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MildlyArtistic said:

I feel like this really hasn't been true since like 2017. He's gotten persistently more terrible as the tours have progressed, with a few exceptions such as in Europe in 2018 where he started the tour with an absolutely diabolically bad performance.

the last 2 shows of 2021 were pretty good, an improvement compared to the shows that took place before in the last leg of last year so it's still true imo. 

Edited by Rovim

4 hours ago, themadcaplaughs said:

Funny image! Robin would not answer because he's too busy touring with a band that kills it every night on a consistent basis. 

Bumblefoot probably still harbors so many bitter feelings that he'd purposefully book a show at a 200 person capacity bowling ally the same night he was needed (six people would show up). I jest; love Ron! 

what? ron didn t fill a 200 venue?

11 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Wtf is this thread, the first show (Lisbon) everyone was like man he sounds good, even better than previous first shows 4 years ago like Berlin. Now only a couple days later, he should hang it up? Alright you guys.

I couldnt believe people were saying he killed it on Reckless Life, it sounded awful in the first atempt (even the soundcheck sounded horrible).

Same with Hardschool and BiB.

In sweden it seemed even worse 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Wtf is this thread, the first show (Lisbon) everyone was like man he sounds good, even better than previous first shows 4 years ago like Berlin. Now only a couple days later, he should hang it up? Alright you guys.

Lisbon wasn't a Berlin or Hershey level disaster, so people praised it. :lol:

5 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

Id agree, time to wrap it up, it’s embarrassing as it is, and  it’s not going to improve anything. His voice is done. He can’t stay in key or in any 1 voice on every song, and he sounds weak. It doesn’t matter about the excuses anymore, the evidence is there for our own ears. Mick Jagger is touring right now at 79 and he sounds great. Axl sounds shit. If he can’t do the material justice like the Stone still can it’s time to hang it up.

But they won’t $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I respect Jagger doing it at his age but let’s be real - his singing is piss easy compared to Axls style.

2 hours ago, Pedrolg said:

It should be better next month. Axl always gets better as the tour goes on. The first 5 shows or so are usually him at his worst in any given leg of a tour.

Oh yeah I know - I immediately looked to see how far in the Glasgow gig was and it was about 12 shows so it’s going to be as good as it’s gonna get I reckon!

• Like 4

Just now, Ratam said:

Talking about Mick, RS postponed the Amsterdam gig, cause Mick was tested Covid positive.

Yeah, I mentioned it in the RS thread. People had already arrived at the venue because it was cancelled at the last minute. Bummer.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Exactly. It’s always funny when people compare Mick to Axl. Mick’s bluesy spoken/singing vocal lines can’t be compared to the challenging songs Axl has to pull off.

Mick has work ethic. Axl can’t be bothered to show up for rehearsals(with little exception), take vocal coaching, and has done less than the minimum to preserve his vocal abilities. Axl has to be coerced into doing things the vast majority of singers do to maintain their voices. At this point it’s too little too late. 

1 minute ago, smokingarthur said:

Mick has work ethic. Axl can’t be bothered to show up for rehearsals(with little exception), take vocal coaching, and has done less than the minimum to preserve his vocal abilities. Axl has to be coerced into doing things the vast majority of singers do to maintain their voices. At this point it’s too little too late. 

Duff disagrees, and I reckon he knows better than you.

12 minutes ago, smokingarthur said:

How do you know this? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Yeah, I mentioned it in the RS thread. People had already arrived at the venue because it was cancelled at the last minute. Bummer.

Ringo Starr also postponed his gig, cause someone of his band has Covid too. Apparently Covid is back... :nervous:

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Can you imagine the flak Axl would would have got if gig was cancelled with folk in the stadium. 🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Comparing to Mick is unfair.

Steven Tyler, on the other hand…

This is the other one I never really get. Tyler clearly sings much more than Jagger but he is also lucky that he has a naturally high/‘scratchy’ voice so there isn’t a jump to his signing unlike Axl who has a very deep voice and HAD that singing voice. Of course Tyler has the vocal surgery too which actually went remarkably well as it’s a very risky procedure apparently with varying degrees of success….something about increasing blood flow to the vocal chords or something (I could be making that up…..I’m sure I read that) 🤣

Edited by DTJ80

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

I respect Jagger doing it at his age but let’s be real - his singing is piss easy compared to Axls style.

Oh yeah I know - I immediately looked to see how far in the Glasgow gig was and it was about 12 shows so it’s going to be as good as it’s gonna get I reckon!

Thing is Axl should do vocal rearrangements to make his singing easier or sing in a lower register but he does neither. Plant,Jagger and many others do this.

He rather sing in that mickey voice  and struggle huffin and puffing skipping words. Even when the band has slowed down his doing his same approach. Half the vocals lyrics don't sound like words anymore and his gotten to a Vince Neil level type performance which he thinks is acceptable