06/28/22 - Dublin, IE - Marlay Park

alfierose

11 minutes ago, ©GnrPersia said:

So with Chad being there, I would assume Axl was kicking his ass to sound better, right?

@Deanwere you at the show?

Naa mate, I got refunds for all other shows I had booked bar Glesga. I was hoping for new music, so it's worked out for the best.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, We love Axl Rose said:

That's what i'm wondering, too. Why they have to play Rocket Queen and YCBM every show? Rocket Queen is a less popular song and is too long. Axl sounds bad on both songs, while Don't Cry is one of the songs where Axl sounds the best.

Rocket Queen IS too long - but that’s because of the big jam in the middle….needs cut down for sure. Maybe because it’s my favourite GNR but Im ok with Axls singing on it these days. Clearly not as good as it was but if they didn’t play it I’d be gutted.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SilverMachine said:

Just back from the gig. Best I’ve seen them since the illusion days. 

Kind of taken aback by Axl’s demeanour, just full of smiles all night as if he’s taken some happy pills - almost disconcertingly so. 

Good vibes all round really - Slash even did a handstand as he left the stage. 

I think the caveat to seeing them now is their age - Axl and Slash still bomb it across the stage impressively, but you can’t expect them to have the same dynamism. 

That goes for the crowd as well - I was in the Golden Circle and people were really into it, but with 80 per cent of those around me well into their forties and beyond, it’s not the same atmosphere as what I guess I would have once associated  with a GNR gig (I nearly got crushed to death during Faith No More when I saw GNR at Wembley in 92 - people were going nuts). 

Axl left everything on the stage, can’t  fault his commitment. As many have said before, when you’re at the gig the “issues”with his voice aren’t as apparent. The only glaring moment tonight was the outro for Coma which feels like it’s just too demanding. Bottom line is, he really looks like he’s enjoying himself right now and I don’t think any regular punter coming away from the show would say he was anything less than great. 

Highlights for me would probably be Reckless Life - they really went for it- and as obvious as it is, Sweet Child. I think that was a proper hairs on the back of the neck moment, the collective singing of the crowd coupled with Slash’s solos really soaring just really took the gig to a special level. 

For anyone on the fence about going to a remaining show on this leg, I’d say don’t think twice.
They’re in fine form. More importantly, they’re getting to the precipice of not being able to do this sort of show for too much longer, particularly Axl - belting those songs out in the way he does is pretty incredible - there’s a finite amount of time left that he’s going to be able to pull it off - so go while you can. 

apologies for the essay. 

U wrote a great review here was there myself and all I can say is wow what a show .go while Axl can pull it off like he did tonight ..

Out of interest any idea how much the band make per show

32 minutes ago, axl666 said:

Probably the best GNR gig I've been to. 

Axl's voice is quite strong live, though it obviously doesn't have the rasp/buzz saw that he had when he was younger. However he is never off key, he can hold the notes as long as he wants and his voice is totally clear and cuts through the music.

The only song I thought that he struggled with was Hard School. There isn't really room to take a breath in that song while singing. 

The rest of the band were phenomenal. I don't think that they have the mystique of the nu-GNR band or even the mystique that they had when they reunited a few years ago. What they are is basically the best (imo) touring stadium rock band in the world at the moment. Totally professional, extremely talented and competent at what they do. As a poster said above, how long they can keep this up is an open question (5 years?) so I'd go see them if you get a chance.

My impression was that most people didn't know the Chinese Democracy songs or even the more obscure UYI songs like Coma. The way I'd look at it is that if you go to s GNR song and don't know songs where the newest one is 13 years old, that's on you! Better, while my favourite song, doesn't quite work live because of the weird breakdowns in the middle. Chinese Democracy was phenomenal though. Absurd weirdly enough kind of worked because a lot of people didn't know the lyrics but it has a lot of energy live. 

My only complaint and it's a strange one is that I though that the concert was almost too long. I'd have been happy with a half an hour cut off and would have still felt that I'd got more than my moneys worth.

Anyway, they're an incredible band and they've still got it.

Didn't see this show in person but almost every gnr show I've been to, I feel like it's half hour too long

Edited by Tom2112

12 minutes ago, darkside259 said:

not a real problem

How is it not a real problem?? I am their exact target market, know all the songs and I still feel like it's too much. That is a problem. Some bands play for 3hrs and it feels like an hour others play for 3grs and it feels like 5.

I applaud gnr for  playing well over the 1.5/2hr mark other bands play, but I also know the show drags in the middle and loses momentum making the show feel as long as it is.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

How is it not a real problem?? I am their exact target market, know all the songs and I still feel like it's too much. That is a problem. Some bands play for 3hrs and it feels like an hour others play for 3grs and it feels like 5.

I applaud gnr for  playing well over the 1.5/2hr mark other bands play, but I also know the show drags in the middle and loses momentum making the show feel as long as it is.

I was in the Seville concert a few weeks ago, and even though I wasn't able to notice how bad was Axl's voice because of the crowd noise, I was bored as fuck. The excessive amount of covers, solo spots, added solos at the beginning of songs, songs stretched out as much as possible.... it was my worst experince ever at a concert.

And I went there with zero expectations, I was only going because they were playing in my town, I didn't expect to have new songs, I didn't expect to be surprised, I didn't expect to be euphoric, just a regular GN'R show with songs I liked, but still, it was a snoozefest and the worst experience I ever had.

Also, I've been here in this forum for 10 years. During all this time I've discover a lot of bands that actually have musical integrity and interest on growing as musicians, and most of my experiences with any of these other bands, they interact way more with their crowd than GN'R, which is something that makes you enjoy the show way more and feel an adrenaline and motivation to enjoy the show that this band just doesn't offer.

It's sad, but this is the way I personally feel, nowadays I only like GN'R because of the memory I have from when I was younger and I loved them so much and the expectations I had back then about new music.

• Thanks 1

SCOM with rasp!!!! holy fuck!

edit: sorry for the 3 posts in a row, but I am watching the videos right now and I Am really surprised by todays performance! 
I don’t even remember the last time I’ve listened to a raspy SCOM or NR with this lineup. 

Edited by ChrisMaciel
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, ChrisMaciel said:

SCOM with rasp!!!! holy fuck!

edit: sorry for the 3 posts in a row, but I am watching the videos right now and I Am really surprised by todays performance! 
I don’t even remember the last time I’ve listened to a raspy SCOM or NR with this lineup. 

I usually skip scom and NR these days but I'll check it out

52 minutes ago, ChrisMaciel said:

An impressive YCBM.

That YCBM first verse was fire 🔥 but then mickey started appearing afterwards. Still stronger than alot of the prior concerts.

*update he finished it off mighty strong. Best finish in years maybe

Edited by vloors
Finish watching