07/13/22 - Vienna, AT - Ernst Happel Stadium

alfierose

48 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Don Henley once said that for the amount of money he makes he has a very high tolerance for repetition. 

The Stones, Paul McCarthy etc mix up and play hidden gems from time to time plus have a massive catalogue of music to pick from and play.

Instead of creating more music to play gnr just adds more covers.

• Like 2

I guess these people tend to realize their potential in their own solo projects, where they are the main star and can create whatever they want. It's definitely healthy. I'd go nuts playing a second guitar in a band for 20 years, not even being allowed to talk about pretty much anything except for some very general trivia or technicalities regarding the instruments... 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I guess these people tend to realize their potential in their own solo projects, where they are the main star and can create whatever they want. It's definitely healthy. I'd go nuts playing a second guitar in a band for 20 years, not even being allowed to talk about pretty much anything except for some very general trivia or technicalities regarding the instruments... 

yeah he gets to do solo projects/sometimes tour with other cool acts, so he has an artistic outlet, but he seemed kinda bummed he had to stop touring with Thin Lizzy cause his first priority is always going to be touring with Gn'R so it's not total freedom and Bumble talked about how frustrating it was for him when he couldn't book a solo tour cause you get a very short notice when you're in Guns and he didn't want to have to cancel solo tour dates and let down his fans.

imagine how cool it could have been for him if Axl was normal and 3-4 Gn'R albums were released with Richard's guitar all over the material with tunes he was reponsible for. (the normal bit was in jest btw)

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rovim said:

yeah he gets to do solo projects/sometimes tour with other cool acts, so he has an artistic outlet, but he seemed kinda bummed he had to stop touring with Thin Lizzy cause his first priority is always going to be touring with Gn'R so it's not total freedom and Bumble talked about how frustrating it was for him when he couldn't book a solo tour cause you get a very short notice when you're in Guns and he didn't want to have to cancel solo tour dates and let down his fans.

imagine how cool it could have been for him if Axl was normal and 3-4 Gn'R albums were released with Richard's guitar all over the material with tunes he was reponsible for. (the normal bit was in jest btw)

(the normal bit is an absolutely reasonable desire! :D) 

1 hour ago, vloors said:

The Stones, Paul McCarthy etc mix up and play hidden gems from time to time plus have a massive catalogue of music to pick from and play.

They also all release new albums too. That's the major difference. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ©GnrPersia said:

Here's the logic:

Screenshot-20220714-071111.jpg

He misses the point and goes straight to defense. Also McCartney has released how many new albums in the last 20yrs? Oh yes, many more than Axl... And while he doesn't play every song from those albums he plays a handful to keep it interesting... Then he also has a huge back catalogue from solo, wings and Beatles that he can pick from. Richard actually makes gnr look worse with the comparison 🤣

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

He misses the point and goes straight to defense. Also McCartney has released how many new albums in the last 20yrs? Oh yes, many more than Axl... And while he doesn't play every song from those albums he plays a handful to keep it interesting... Then he also has a huge back catalogue from solo, wings and Beatles that he can pick from. Richard actually makes gnr look worse with the comparison 🤣

The real kicker is that he compares himself to McCartney, Elton John or the Stones. People who actually have created their own music and are legends in their own right.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

The real kicker is that he compares himself to McCartney, Elton John or the Stones. People who actually have created their own music and are legends in their own right.

I didn't get the impression he was comparing how big of a deal he was compared to those musicians, body of work, or the quality of it, just pointing out they go through a similar situation when it comes to playing a song a million times in their career and how it is much worse for them.

it didn't make a huge splash or anything, but he has created his own music with more than one artist/band.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I didn't get the impression he was comparing how big of a deal he was compared to those musicians, body of work, or the quality of it, just pointing out they go through a similar situation when it comes to playing a song a million times in their career and how it is much worse for them.

it didn't make a huge splash or anything, but he has created his own music with more than one artist/band.

It made no splash. And playing your own songs that made your career and millions should be something different than playing someone elses songs, told by someone else what to play, without any input or chanses to decide to play something different. Elton, Paul and the Stones can play whatever the fuck they want.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

It made no splash. And playing your own songs that made your career and millions should be something different than playing someone elses songs, told by someone else what to play, without any input or chanses to decide to play something different. Elton, Paul and the Stones can play whatever the fuck they want.

what are we talking about here, exactly? how successful Richard is compared to the most successful musicians and how he's not at the same level as The Stones? he only talked about how those artists endure playing the same shit for thousands of years which is similar to his own situation with Gn'R. Just the repetitive nature of it and how it's worse for musicians who have been doing it longer compared to him.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Rovim said:

what are we talking about here, exactly? how successful Richard is compared to the most successful musicians and how he's not at the same level as The Stones? he only talked about how those artists endure playing the same shit for thousands of years which is similar to his own situation with Gn'R. Just the repetitive nature of it and how it's worse for musicians who have been doing it longer compared to him.

Except it is not. As the mentioned artists can do whatever they want. They can the decide on a whim what they play. He can't. He gets told by Axl what to play. And it's not even his songs. So the mentioned artists are absolutely not comparable to him.

Edited by PatrickS77

5 hours ago, vloors said:

Yeah didn’t the stones do something where fans could vote for each show on a different deep cut to play? Modern GNR has none of the real qualities of a true band. No jamming off the stage, nothing spontaneous, nothing real. Strictly a nostalgia grab. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Except it is not. As the mentioned artists can do whatever they want. They can the decide on a whim what they play. He can't. He gets told by Axl what to play. And it's not even his songs. So the mentioned artists are absolutely not comparable to him.

but they don't really do whatever they want cause they take into consideration what their fans want to hear so a big chunk of their setlists are the most popular tunes and that's because they got so big and are also well oiled money machines, the extent of what they can do on a whim is limited, so they are faced with the same necessity of playing the same shit often...like Fortus does.

Richard is not Axl and doesn't get to decide. Got it. He didn't get a chance to write his own shit with Gn'R so not on the same level as Elton or The Stones...agreed. But this is not relevant to the point I think he was trying to make which is the challenge of playing the same old shit for decades. Who he is is less important here than what he does.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

It's funny, as I've seen Metallica multiple times now over 30 odd years and was comparing setlists between 1993 and 2022, just out of curiosity. Newsflash: I got 5 different songs when I compare 1993 to 2022. In 1996 when I saw them, there were a few more 'new' songs as they were touring a new album, I believe. I realize Metallica has put out a lot more music, but in the end, the bulk of their shows still has the same songs. They also only play 18 songs or so, so a  lot less than GNR does on average.

In 2022, I got 6 songs I hadn't seen before from GNR. I saw only one show this leg, but I saw 3 in 2017 and 5 in 2018. And they didn't even play You're Crazy and Hard Skool in Groningen :(

So cut it out with the 'always the same' blabla.

Note: Just as most on here, I assume, I would love to have NEW music and I too am disappointed at no new singles this year. I would rather hear Perhaps than Back in Black. But I'm just saying that it's not the same show as in 2017 or 2018.

• Like 2