07/31/21 - Hershey, PA - Hersheypark Stadium

Powerage5

10 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

At this point I really wish they would just be a studio band. At least in a studio Axl can redo his vocals over and over. Let slash and duff do their solo side projects and let the rest of them go back to whatever it is they can do.

I doubt the Aussie shows will go ahead at this point with our Covid situation right now but I’m more than ok with the prospect of getting my money back and not going.

Agreed with the studio part and the aussie tour part... Getting to close and still too many cases all over the country.. Plus the incoming people daily being let back in contagious is disgusting...

3 hours ago, SoNobodyToldYaBaby said:

2016 is 5 years ago. Hes 59. The songs are hard to sing. I think he blew out the remainder of his voice doing Axl/Dc and this is pretty much as good as it can get for old Axl now.

What? I went to a couple of GN'R shows right after Axl/DC. Believe me, his voice was much better than it is today. 5 years ago? In 2013, 14 and 15 he sounded like Mikey Mouse. He was out of breath as well. He had plenty of horrible shows during NuGN'R era like Rock In Rio for example. Age is not the problem

5 minutes ago, Rovim said:

2019 quality is not the definition of doomed for me, just average/inconsistent. I won't try to guess or predict the extent of a possible improvement. We'll see.

Ha! Well below average to inconsistent if we're being honest. To me that's just crap, but I'm not everyone so... 

Also don't think anybody is guessing in regard to how good this will get. It will be below average/inconsistent with some sporadic showers of "that was pretty good"... we know how this goes😄

2 hours ago, Dean said:

I was up front, and could see Axl singing but with no sound coming out of the speakers, he made note that it was as if he was singing underwater etc, and I very much believe this is the case from their show at Hershey Stadium. The rehearsals, he seemed to be in similar form as to the last couple of years (he's shed some amount of timber from his last show - fair fucks to him) but obviously the show didn't replicate that.

Just to let you know he said the exact same thing in Berlin in 2018 that it feels like he is singing under water and cant hear himself. If I remember correctly he said it after Estranged or Better.

Just now, Tom2112 said:

Ha! Well below average to inconsistent if we're being honest. To me that's just crap, but I'm not everyone so... 

Also don't think anybody is guessing in regard to how good this will get. It will be below average/inconsistent with some sporadic showers of "that was pretty good"... we know how this goes😄

I prefer to wait for it to actually happen before I conclude that from now on Axl will always be below average/inconsistent, but that's just me.

3 minutes ago, Rovim said:

when you go to see this band in the beginning of a tour, you kinda know what you're going to get so while I get what you're saying about standards of other bands and how you think it should be based on those experiences, it is what it is and it's Gn'R so I don't expect them to operate like other bands, especially not when it comes to refunds or consistency of quality when it comes to the first shows especially.

this show was one of the worst imo, don't get me wrong. I just think it was really not the kind of show where you can learn much from it when it comes to what will happen in future shows.

I hate this argument gnr fans throw out "gnr aren't other bands". You're right though because other bands deliver, night in and out even when things aren't perfect with monitors etc. 

I saw Metallica in Lisbon 2019, opening night. Fraught with technical issues, they were missing cues for intro tapes, getting wrong guitars. On paper it sounds like a disaster. James went to the mic explained what was happening and with all of that they still sounded great AND it was a new set to the US leg. Gnr are just not a good live band. They have some great albums and they have played some incredible shows but on average they are a poor live act.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

I’d be absolutely fine if he changed it up so that WTTJ was sung like that snippet where it was low and powerful.  That’s where his voice is best placed these days so just go with it - yeah it’s different but it kicks ass.

I’d even be fine with 3/4 of the set with traditional lower register songs (Bad Obsession/PTU etc) and go with the higher register for the three/four ‘must play’ songs.

And - if needs be…..if YCBM has to be played then do it at the start. It absolutely would be a great opener and could attack it….I don’t see why stuff like ISE, CD etc couldn’t be played towards the end anyway which would be easier on his voice? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Of course….a few new songs sung in his natural voice wouldn’t hurt….. :rofl-lol:

Edited by DTJ80
  • Like 2

Just now, Tom2112 said:

I hate this argument gnr fans throw out "gnr aren't other bands". You're right though because other bands deliver, night in and out even when things aren't perfect with monitors etc. 

I saw Metallica in Lisbon 2019, opening night. Fraught with technical issues, they were missing cues for intro tapes, getting wrong guitars. On paper it sounds like a disaster. James went to the mic explained what was happening and with all of that they still sounded great AND it was a new set to the US leg. Gnr are just not a good live band. They have some great albums and they have played some incredible shows but on average they are a poor live act.

I caught Metallica in 2017 in Glasgow and it was great…..however in 2019 judging by the wealth of footage out there they were even better. Which is quite something at their age. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DTJ80 said:

I caught Metallica in 2017 in Glasgow and it was great…..however in 2019 judging by the wealth of footage out there they were even better. Which is quite something at their age. 

Yeah they have really stepped it up, like there was a a period there where Metallica were kina phoned in around 2012-2015 but even then it was still a very good show.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Yeah they have really stepped it up, like there was a a period there where Metallica were kina phoned in around 2012-2015 but even then it was still a very good show.

Absolutely - at their worst they are NEVER less than a 7/10 lMO.

Edited by DTJ80
  • Like 1

I guess thats the charm of GNR. You never know. You never know if you will hear sth new or not. You never know if axl will deliever vocals or not. Thats the fun of it. Its not like any other band like Maiden or Priest where you have constant quality, great show and almost always great vocals. Same with AC/DC, FF or TRS. Where is the surprise? And with GNR anything can happen. Thats the beauty of it!

Thats sad.

3 minutes ago, Kranich said:

I guess thats the charm of GNR. You never know. You never know if you will hear sth new or not. You never know if axl will deliever vocals or not. Thats the fun of it. Its not like any other band like Maiden or Priest where you have constant quality, great show and almost always great vocals. Same with AC/DC, FF or TRS. Where is the surprise? And with GNR anything can happen. Thats the beauty of it!

Thats sad.

Is this a wind up?! 

• Haha 2

I have defended GNR once too many times. After this last date, I cant defend them anymore. The show sucked, the setlist sucked. It was the worst show I've seen in awhile. Glad I didnt waste money to see this live. I'm disappointed that nothing different was played. Guess I'm the only one sick of the Bloated KOHD. Why not play Hard Skool, street of dreams, sorry maddy. Just to change it up a bit.  But that's asking for too much. Oh well. Was I excited for this tour. Yes. Stupid me. 

The thing here is: Axl is going to sound better in 4 to 5 shows. He will Mickey his mid-range songs but he will sound good enough for his high and low register songs. We all know it, we been there before, it's like a freaking deja vu happening in every single first show after a tour break.

But it's just maddening at this point. It's fucking disrespectful to his fans, to his bandmates and to every crew member that work their asses off without sucking his balls, because we know that this happens because he is just unprepared and he doesn't give a shit about it. Every other person doing the same he does would be fucking ashamed on how shitty one can sound.

When he was bitching in November Rain about not being able to play the piano due to tech issues, I was raging with secondhand shame. Same when he did some 'jokes' with the crowd. Just be prepared or call it quits. Band is being affected by it, Slash was noodling non stop, completely in auto-pilot. The November Rain outro was all over the place. What the hell was that?

It amazes me how he seems so oblivion of everything that he can't hear how awful he sounds. Can't he really? Can't he open YouTube on his phone and actually hear how ridiculous he sounds? It's embarrassing and humiliating really.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

1. Nightrain

2. It's So Easy

3. Mr. Brownstone

4. Don't Cry/Patience

5. Pretty Tied Up

6. Dead Horse

7. Out Ta Get Me/ My Michelle

8. Hard Skool

9. So Fine (no Axl)

10. Civil War/ Dead Horse

12. Double Talkin' Jive

13. Slash Solo

14. Sweet Child O' Mine

15. Piano solo

16. November Rain

17. Shadow of Your Love/Chinese Democracy

18. Welcome to the Jungle

19. Paradise City

Cut the covers, songs he ready struggles with (Slither, Better, YCBM). Have some room for breaks, and have the show be shorter. Downtune some of the tougher ones

Yep, there's no point to have Better in the setlist right now. And they have Melissa, she's a great singer. Why not give her some high register melodies while Axl sings the low ones? There's nothing wrong with this for me. They also should try the D tuning in some songs. Here's my ideal setlist at this point:

Nightrain (cut the high register belting)

It's So Easy

Mr. Brownstone

Chinese Democracy

Double Talkin' Jive

Estranged

Bad Obsession

So Fine 

Dust N' Bones (with or without Axl)

Pretty Tied Up

Civil War

Slash Solo 

SCOM

November Rain

Down on the Farm

Used to Love Her (Axl low register only, maybe Melissa doin' the high ones)

You're Crazy (slow)

Knockin' on Heaven's Door (7 minutes max, to have the some crowd singing)

Hardskool

WTTJ

Encore:

Don't Cry

Patience

TWAT / Sorry / Madagascar (rotate these Chinese Democracy songs, if they want to make the show longer, play all of them)

Paradise City

Have some others in the alt setlist to do when Axl is feeling it. That's it. Would be cool to hear, a lot of songs they don't usually play, and I think Axl would do fine. 

1 minute ago, FabioRoses said:

Yep, there's no point to have Better in the setlist right now. And they have Melissa, she's a great singer. Why not give her some high register melodies while Axl sings the low ones? There's nothing wrong with this for me. They also should try the D tuning in some songs. Here's my ideal setlist at this point:

Nightrain (cut the high register belting)

It's So Easy

Mr. Brownstone

Chinese Democracy

Double Talkin' Jive

Estranged

Bad Obsession

So Fine 

Dust N' Bones (with or without Axl)

Pretty Tied Up

Civil War

Slash Solo 

SCOM

November Rain

Down on the Farm

Used to Love Her (Axl low register only, maybe Melissa doin' the high ones)

You're Crazy (slow)

Knockin' on Heaven's Door (7 minutes max, to have the some crowd singing)

Hardskool

WTTJ

Encore:

Don't Cry

Patience

TWAT / Sorry / Madagascar (rotate these Chinese Democracy songs, if they want to make the show longer, play all of them)

Paradise City

Have some others in the alt setlist to do when Axl is feeling it. That's it. Would be cool to hear, a lot of songs they don't usually play, and I think Axl would do fine. 

shackler's revenge

Think about you 

Dust & bones

Since I dont have you

• Like 1