07/31/21 - Hershey, PA - Hersheypark Stadium

Powerage5

I do think some of Axl’s vocal issues were due to him not being able to hear himself. It looked like constantly he was having difficulty hearing where he was in a song and as a singer doing Axl’s style with that added difficulty is fucking brutal. That being said I do think his voice is damaged beyond repair and it’s sad to see. The set list is fine but not adding Hard School to the mix seems like a cruel joke. Why does the band even bother rehearsing it every tour if it’s not going to ever get played?

I would hope that next show some of Axl’s vocal issues will be better. From what I heard it wasn’t pretty though, and I hope some of it was just a horrible mix.

• Like 1

Riddle me this: he sounded great and raspy on Jungle at the sound check TWO DAYS BEFORE. And then this. What the fuck? 

Only in the world of GN'R does the frontman sound good at a soundcheck and then flops at the actual gig. 

A new song rumour:
"From Bridge School via Berlin to Hershey"
Intro: 
What we’ve got here is 
A failure to deliver 
Some gigs you just can’t miss 
Then we get what we had here last night 
Which is the way they wing it... and we get it 
And I don’t like it 
Any more than you, men

• Like 1

Didn't like Axl's voice at all, like most of you (and I don't mind mind about the rasp; I like his clean voice). But I think he'll improve his singing through the tour, clearly the lack of shows affected his voice.

The fact that they're still touring makes me happy, and that's what matters to me. 

• Like 1

Just now, jamillos said:

Riddle me this: he sounded great and raspy on Jungle at the sound check TWO DAYS BEFORE. And then this. What the fuck? 

Only in the world of GN'R does the frontman sound good at a soundcheck and then flops at the actual gig. 

A new song rumour:
"From Bridge School via Berlin to Hershey"
Intro: 
What we’ve got here is 
A failure to deliver 
Some gigs you just can’t miss 
Then we get what we had here last night 
Which is the way they wing it... and we get it 
And I don’t like it 
Any more than you, men

I’m really crossing my fingers that the mix is what was fucking up Axl the other night. Guess we’ll see tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I’m really crossing my fingers that the mix is what was fucking up Axl the other night. Guess we’ll see tomorrow.

We can't blame everything on the sound issues. His voice was shot. This may have been worse than Berlin, but I'm not gonna listen to it to refresh my memory. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jamillos said:

We can't blame everything on the sound issues. His voice was shot. This may have been worse than Berlin, but I'm not gonna listen to it to refresh my memory. 

It’s possible his voice is toast. I haven’t heard Better yet, couldn’t find it anywhere, and I heard that was a nightmare 

1. Nightrain

2. It's So Easy

3. Mr. Brownstone

4. Don't Cry/Patience

5. Pretty Tied Up

6. Dead Horse

7. Out Ta Get Me/ My Michelle

8. Hard Skool

9. So Fine (no Axl)

10. Civil War/ Dead Horse

12. Double Talkin' Jive

13. Slash Solo

14. Sweet Child O' Mine

15. Piano solo

16. November Rain

17. Shadow of Your Love/Chinese Democracy

18. Welcome to the Jungle

19. Paradise City

Cut the covers, songs he ready struggles with (Slither, Better, YCBM). Have some room for breaks, and have the show be shorter. Downtune some of the tougher ones

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 2

On 7/31/2021 at 10:33 PM, Ixtlan said:

Give me some examples? Im curious. I haven’t heard any creative ideas on here yet. 

So you want us to come up with creative ideas? The band should come up with creative ideas. That's their job. Axl can't sing anymore. I watched a couple of videos in youtube. Mickey Mouse is back. His voice is gone.  So he should do something to fix it. He should get  real managers. The band should play a couple of CD leftovers or some brand new songs. Are Axl, Slash and Duff writing new songs? They should.  Bring back Izzy and Adler. Otherwise they should call it a day. 

• Like 1

It’s not going to improve. The guy was sucking oxygen offstage between songs 30 years ago. He was basically struggling to sing them songs then. The Ramones didn’t BREATHE at all between songs 😂
The rasp in his voice was a big part of the overall sound of the band. It’s not going to work singing cleanly. He has a high pitched clean voice with zero depth and force to it when he hits higher notes. Sounds like air escaping a balloon. 

@powerage5 , I know you have tons of shows under your belt from a lot of bands so yours is a review I trust.
When everyone around you is singing along, and at times singing along yourself. It’s hard to judge how good the Vocals really were until you get home and watch back some of the footage.

Iron Maiden last time I saw them on the legacy of the beast tour blew me away. I hadn’t seen the band live in 10 years, I’d caught them plenty between 93 - final frontier tour, but I was blown away at how good Dickinson sounded, after cancer!!!, I left not believing how well he sounded. Any footage I watched on YouTube confirmed it. He sounded brilliant. 

Bands built entire careers on bootleg recordings.  Listening back to gigs is not something new. The best bands sound great live.

Lemmy 2 weeks before his death gave more and sounded better than Axl has for some years...

Imagine having tickets for next years euro tour, knowing it’ll be a year worse.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

12 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

It’s possible his voice is toast. I haven’t heard Better yet, couldn’t find it anywhere, and I heard that was a nightmare 

Well, given how the rest sounded and the fact that Better is usually one of the worst ones and should have been put off the playlist years ago, I believe that... 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kiwiguns said:

So you clearly have made up your mind and formed an opinion before actually seeing the band. Your negativey is already clouding your judgement. 

The final nail in the coffin would have been hammerd in a long time ago and here they band is, surviving COVID-19 and they are still attracting people to live shows. 

Those are the people the band caters towards and that's the reality of the situation.

We on this forum are the minority and the majority are the causal fans, who aren't picking apart Axl vocals or the bands set list to cater towards those vocals. 

The discounted tickets are not the bands concern, thats the promoters issue, as the promotor won't recover those costs or make a loss on that show. 

Live Nation will recover those costs from other sold out shows on this tour or the Australian/New Zealand tours.

The band will already have received up front payment. 

In terms of Axls vocals. 

Like all of us, he has aged and things we use to do, we either struggle or cannot do to our full potential. 

I am amazed that people would think Axl is some super human, and his vocals and preformence should be at the same level as two weeks ago or 20 years ago. 

Roger Federer's in his prime was the worlds greatest tennis player. 

Today he is now ranked number 9 in the world. He can still hit a tennis ball, just not at the same level he once did in the past. 

Here’s that stupid argument again. Nobody’s asking for Axl to sound like 20 years ago, that’s logical fallacy. Being constantly negative and toxic is one extreme, but being in the other extreme, blindly apologizing everything at all costs is equally stupid. In 2016, Axl sounded like a god, especially at the AC/DC stunt. It's started going downhill since, and I understand that, because he can’t sustain touring lasting more than 1.5 years with the same quality (which is why they should have finished the tour in 2017 instead of this nonsense). It’s been particularly bad during the last few legs, and this Saturday, he completely sucked, plain and simple. His voice was shot. It’s not always as bad as this, but this time it was, so let’s call ‘em as we see ‘em and stop bullshitting ourselves. I hope he can work on it and get well again. He did sound good at the sound check, so here’s to hoping… 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

"And it was almost like vintage 1988 Axl was in the house, swinging and swaying back and forth, just as you’d hope he might. Vocally, he has to really reach for some of the notes these days, but he was in otherwise strong voice."oses-first-show-2021/?utm_source=

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/guns-n-roses-first-show-2021/

That's the understatement of the century.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

"And it was almost like vintage 1988 Axl was in the house, swinging and swaying back and forth, just as you’d hope he might. Vocally, he has to really reach for some of the notes these days, but he was in otherwise strong voice."oses-first-show-2021/?utm_source=

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/guns-n-roses-first-show-2021/

Isn't it funny how the journalists would shit on Axl 30 years ago when he was really great and now the situation seems to be exactly opposite? :lol: :wow:

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, kiwiguns said:

I am amazed that people would think Axl is some super human, and his vocals and preformence should be at the same level as two weeks ago or 20 years ago. 

Nobody is asking Axl to go back to 1990. But he did a lot better back in 2016. That's the problem. He is not the Axl we got just a couple of years ago. Do you think that AC/DC would hire him now?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kiwiguns said:

am amazed that people would think Axl is some super human, and his vocals and preformence should be at the same level as two weeks ago or 20 years ago. 

Nobody is saying Axl is superhuman, merely that for the band they are and the prices they charge, he should give a bit of a better performance vocally that's all.  All people are saying is that the "level" should be above "Mickey Mouse and straining"

No offense, but honestly and literally, these past couple of years I have questioned myself if you are a covert member of TB or something lol.  Like, people saying negative things about GNR seem to really be the only thing you are focused on and nothing else here on this forum

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Powderfinger said:

It’s not going to improve. The guy was sucking oxygen offstage between songs 30 years ago. He was basically struggling to sing them songs then. The Ramones didn’t BREATHE at all between songs 😂
The rasp in his voice was a big part of the overall sound of the band. It’s not going to work singing cleanly. He has a high pitched clean voice with zero depth and force to it when he hits higher notes. Sounds like air escaping a balloon. 

@powerage5 , I know you have tons of shows under your belt from a lot of bands so yours is a review I trust.
When everyone around you is singing along, and at times singing along yourself. It’s hard to judge how good the Vocals really were until you get home and watch back some of the footage.

Iron Maiden last time I saw them on the legacy of the beast tour blew me away. I hadn’t seen the band live in 10 years, I’d caught them plenty between 93 - final frontier tour, but I was blown away at how good Dickinson sounded, after cancer!!!, I left not believing how well he sounded. Any footage I watched on YouTube confirmed it. He sounded brilliant. 

Bands built entire careers on bootleg recordings.  Listening back to gigs is not something new. The best bands sound great live.

Lemmy 2 weeks before his death gave more and sounded better than Axl has for some years...

Imagine having tickets for next years euro tour, knowing it’ll be a year worse.

Axl was sucking oxygen onstage 30 years ago because he would run around like a madman. He'd be able to nail a lot of songs during the UYI era if he didn't move around so much.

The few performances of Coma back then sound like he's gonna collapse from lack of oxygen towards the end. He moves a bit now but he's not running full sprints across a giant stage.