07/31/21 - Hershey, PA - Hersheypark Stadium

Powerage5

1 minute ago, ChrisMaciel said:

Good note: Axl was slimmer.

Bad note: Axl needs a vocal coach immediately. 

Every video of this gig deserves a strike. Where’s team Brazil when we most need them?

Probably busy editing the footage for the next round of Selects.

• Haha 1

On 7/31/2021 at 8:23 PM, prez said:

If this stadium has a hard 11PM curfew then prepare for a 22-song setlist. Sorry guys, it might be better than Mexico City but not by much.

Sorry for anyone I disappointed with my optimism. :facepalm:

Given the weak setlist and performance I'm not sure if I want to go to Metlife. If COVID wasn't a thing I still would probably just grab a cheap seat and go but not sure if this is worth the risk. Were a lot of people masking at Hershey?

Edited by prez

5 minutes ago, DownUnderScott said:

So the real question is... what type of beer did you get mate?

Real question indeed! Appalachian Brewing in Harrisburg is one of the only breweries in the US which does an incredibly niche German style called a Zoigl, and it’s only a seasonal beer at that. So I was really keen to check that one off my list of beer styles I haven’t tried before. Also had a decent maibock as well as an excellent barleywine at Appalachian. Then I hit a couple beer stores in the area that looked interesting. Stocked up on some stuff I can’t get in NY - some of the regional offerings from Yuengling and Yards, as well as some stuff from Einstök in Iceland and some excellent fruit beers from Hokkaido Brewing in Japan. So a very successful day trip on the beer front :) 

• Like 1

Slash & Duff are the driving factors of this band now and I'm saying that as someone who ALWAYS defended Axl in the 2000s. 

I don't know if the show in Boston will have more songs or a better performance. I just wouldn't take any bets on it. 

Edited by Sosso

Wow. It seems that this could really be the end of the line for Axl, or at least for Axl as we know him since 2011. It's been downhill since 2016, to be honest. His voice sounds absolutely fried, he has no control, no power.

I honestly think he overdid it with AC/DC and the endless touring. I hope he has the clarity to take a step back and consider tuning down or reworking his approach to his songs.

• Like 1

Just now, Pedrolg said:

Wow. It seems that this could really be the end of the line for Axl, or at least for Axl as we know him since 2011. It's been downhill since 2016, to be honest. His voice sounds absolutely fried, he has no control, no power.

I honestly think he overdid it with AC/DC and the endless touring. I hope he has the clarity to take a step back and consider tuning down or reworking his approach to his songs.

Giving his best for AC/DC + being lazy for GN'R + firing his vocal coach. 

Just now, RussTCB said:

I say this with zero sarcasm but I REALLY wanted to be wrong :(

Yeah, me too. I was so positive because of the Hard School soundcheck. 

wasnt able to access this site so figured surely something cool happened... found the set list somewhere else and saw it was the same with one new cover (surprise) and when i finally get to log on.. this lol fan f'n tastic 

just set up a permanent greatest hits residency in vegas or call it quits already

• Haha 1

It really hurts to say this, but I think he should retire to a studio. I'd gladly purchase instrumental soundtracks composed by him, or any endeavour he chose to pursue thereafter. It just really sounds like live music is hurting him, and hurting him bad. We had some cool comebacks, 2006, 2010, 2016, but we can't expect that every time. His singing style is, and always has been, dangerous for the vocal chords. We should be happy we got this long with them all.

• Like 2

Here’s the thing: I’ll give Axl the benefit of the doubt that it was the first show, the mix/mics were bad etc.

But after being a fan of the band for 30+ years and seeing them many times…I can’t take the repetition of the shows.

Not just the setlists, but for me it’s the fucking solos. People can say all they want “I love the solos!” But just look around at a show. 90% of the crowd sits down. They always did, even during the peak years of the band. They were ALWAYS the worst part of the show. I love RQ. Love NT. The fucking solos are torture and kill the momentum. I can’t deal with that anymore. Especially in RQ when it’s the SAME GODDAMN SOLO with the mouth harp!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

Axl sounded like he did because he has not bothered to sing or train at all. He had a full year to get a vocal coach and get himself back in order. What happened instead is he walked on having not sang for a year and sounded like shit. They slowed the songs down and he sounded the worst he has ever sounded trying to sing them. I really refuse to believe he is putting any effort into it and is still sounding like that. If he really is training and putting effort in (which I think is highly unlikely) then it's probably time to stop. 

I realize they have different vocal styles but Rob Halford was nearly a decade older in 2018/19 with Judas Priest and he sounded the best he has in decades.

They played a good mix of new material, the hits, and even stuff deep in their catalog that hadn't been performed in 30/40 years or sometimes ever.

That band is a model for how you should go about things while being active for 50 years. And yeah it sucks that some of the classic members aren't there but they still rock.

Edited by mystery

Bruce Dickinson is another. He literally sounds better after throat cancer than a couple of the preceding tours (which were still performed at a high level anyways).

Brian Johnson was crazy pitchy when he performed with the Foo Fighters a couple months ago but he still sounded like Brian Johnson, and that's a 73 year old deaf guy.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

13 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I say this with zero sarcasm but I REALLY wanted to be wrong :(

Feel the same way.I held off on getting tickets.After watching videos from other night theirs really zero reason for me to go see them again .Between seeing them 4 times in their heyday and 4 times since 16 the show has gotten shorter ,staler and Axl’s voice sounded shot.He did look better which I’m happy to see.And it is the first show so things most likely will get better hopefully but for their first show in a year and a half it was a complete dud.Bummer but kind of was thinking it would be this way but like you I so wanted to be wrong and for them to come back strong.Couple new songs and maybe 3-4 different songs in the setlist with Axl at least sounding passable to good.

I didn't expect them to play Hardschool at this show, but some time later on the tour.

But I did expect Axl would sound better than he did. Mostly because of the clips from the soundcheck two days before the show - he sounded good on that Jungle clip.

Given how he sounded at the show, it's for the best that they didn't debut HS.

31 minutes ago, GNRfanJen said:

I know many folks on here will have something to say about Axl’s performance (as they should; that’s literally what this forum is for), but his vocals aside, I think we should acknowledge the fact that it’s very obvious Axl has lost some weight. He looks better/healthier than he did the last time we saw him. That’s an objective truth. 

So on a basic, human level, I’m really happy the guy. 

Yes, he has lost weight.

At least this may put an end to the theories that his weight has much to do with his voice.

• Like 3

Just now, mystery said:

Bruce Dickinson keeps in shape which probably goes a long way. Axl looked decent in 2016 but he hasn't looked in truly great shape since 06/07.

06/07 were the best years for Axl. 

• Like 1

I’ll be there Tuesday (huge slash fan and second time seeing GNR, saw SMKC once) and my girlfriend who is seeing them for the first time. Only reason I’m going is because I’m a die hard Red Sox fan and Fenway is my second home AND it’s her first show. 

Videos I saw looked like axl tried his best. The slowed down songs were much easier for slash to not noodle and slop his way through most of the night and his tone sounded incredible. Frank even sounded better and I’m not a fan of Frank. 

just hoping to hear locomotive no matter how bad it may sound. That’s our favorite besides estranged which is a staple now. 

It just seems like physically axl can’t do it any longer. Maybe it was the first show and he will fall in a groove but it was hard watching him slip lines in nightrain that was usually somewhat strong. I think this is beyond vocal training now. He lost weight it seems and he did two warm up sound checks prior to Tuesday and I’m sure he did studio rehearsals too based on the photo Del shared. He truly looked beat down and sad he could perform how he wanted as someone at the show mentioned. Kinda feel bad for him honestly. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

Axl sounded like he did because he has not bothered to sing or train at all. He had a full year to get a vocal coach and get himself back in order. What happened instead is he walked on having not sang for a year and sounded like shit. They slowed the songs down and he sounded the worst he has ever sounded trying to sing them. I really refuse to believe he is putting any effort into it and is still sounding like that. If he really is training and putting effort in (which I think is highly unlikely) then it's probably time to stop. 

he sounded horrible and was making a big fuss on november rain because his voice sounded like shit 

this band is garbage what a joke, the show was worst then the mexico city 2020 show for sure, he at least sounded half decent there at times