10/03/21 - Hollywood, FL - Hard Rock Live Arena

Powerage5

1 hour ago, GoForJMark said:

It's simple you and that other guy are full on pessimistic. Some of us on the other hand are finally seeing Axl give a fuck and actually try to sing these songs. Was Hard Skool perfect for us? Fuck no, far from it. Were we happy with how he sang it? Yes. He didn't go to a full mickey route on it. Maybe if he could he would rasp the whole shit. But he's fucking 4 months away from 60. And I applaud him for singing the way he does now. 

Hey, I’m happy you’re so happy. I also think it’s good that Axl is finally giving a fuck and trying to sing new songs as you said, but I’m also gonna state when I think he sounds like shit. I watched the videos hoping he would sound good. Unfortunately he didn’t IMO.

2 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

I watched the videos hoping he would sound good. Unfortunately he didn’t IMO.

Why would you raise that bar of expectation so high knowing how he sounds at this age? I'm just happy he can still rasp when needed and hit notes, maybe a few miss on some tracks but it is what it is. That Paradise City from the 10-03 that you guys have been shitting on has been the raspiest version in a long while. I don't know how high your standards are for that song, but to me it could be up there with other 2016 performances. 

• Like 3

Yeah, I have listened to quite a few videos from these most recent shows, and to me Axl sounds good. I am not saying it is album-perfect in any way, or identical to the recordings from 20-30 years ago, but he is hitting the high notes, still got plenty of sustain, not running out of breath all the time, and the tonal quality is not too bad. Then it probably needs to be said that I was never a fan of the grating use of rasp from the 90s and have always preferred it when he has just added a bit of distortion here and there to beef up the tones and to add attitude. I get that what I wrote above is not a ringing endorsement, really, but knowing how his singing comes across to people actually at the shows, and there's been many people from mygnrforum who have attended the show and praised Axl's singing, I would say we have no reason to complain. It is quite amazing, frankly, that Axl at 60 is still able to belt out these tunes. It is asinine to compare him to vocalists of same age who sing much simpler songs with much less range, and it is quite moronic to compare anyway since voices deteriorate differently. Kudos to Axl. Hopefully he can somehow prepare better before summer 2022 so the first shows aren't as bad as the first shows of this tour was. 

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, RochelleRochelle said:

I still want to know what prompted the USA! chant before "I wanna be your dog"  seemed like an inside joke. Would love to know the origin.

I was on the rail. Just seemed like Axl heard a fan call something out in between songs maybe a song request and he responded with that chant instead 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GoForJMark said:

Why would you raise that bar of expectation so high knowing how he sounds at this age? I'm just happy he can still rasp when needed and hit notes, maybe a few miss on some tracks but it is what it is. That Paradise City from the 10-03 that you guys have been shitting on has been the raspiest version in a long while. I don't know how high your standards are for that song, but to me it could be up there with other 2016 performances. 

Why would I raise the bar of expectation? Uh because people were saying that he sounded good. 🤔

I think it is a standards thing though. It seems some people in online communities like this have slowly lowered theirs repeatedly through the the years as it pertains to Axl’s vocals. I try to keep it simple. Would I be comfortable sharing a vocal performance with friends or others and expecting them to think it was at least good? I wouldn’t share any of the clips I watched from the shows last weekend. 

15 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

Why would I raise the bar of expectation? Uh because people were saying that he sounded good. 🤔

I think it is a standards thing though. It seems some people in online communities like this have slowly lowered theirs repeatedly through the the years as it pertains to Axl’s vocals. 

Why would people NOT lower their expectations through the years? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Yeah we have to be realistic- it isn't like it was in the 80s. As long as it sounds decent and they're putting effort in.....then that's surely ok. 

I think people got pissed off when the band were sloppy and Axl was all over the shop (that Deadhorse early in the run for instance when he was just dropping out of lines) and that's understandable.

This performance of Nightrain though isn't that. It's very solid. 

The big problem is that they're still using the first dates of the tour as a rehearsal I think. 

23 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

I think it is a standards thing though. It seems some people in online communities like this have slowly lowered theirs repeatedly through the the years as it pertains to Axl’s vocals. I try to keep it simple. Would I be comfortable sharing a vocal performance with friends or others and expecting them to think it was at least good? I wouldn’t share any of the clips I watched from the shows last weekend. 

I keep my expectations right in the middle. 

In nearly every thread I see people saying Axl sounds AMAZING and that particular show might be the greatest ever. Then I scroll down a bit and I see people claiming that Axl sounds horrible and this is probably the last show ever. 

I rarely click on GN'R videos but when I do, I almost always end up thinking "Meh, that's about what I expected" 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Good for you. I hope you had a good night at Shinedown. Why are you telling me this? I have no idea who they are, not do I care. 

Whatever. I mean you clearly don't read my posts if you think I'm so negative,as I raved about Absurd and Hard Skool, but I'm sure all the positives I always state don't fit in with your bizaare agenda and playground insults. 

Interestingly though a quick look at your previous posts shows you have done very little but arrive at the site recently and be rude to people. Whether that's the litho collectors you insulted, the people who got cheaper tickets, or anyone else. There's quite a trend for newbies to appear and throw around the same type of insults. Odd how that happens. 

So forgive me if I write you off as a troll, or someone looking to throw around insults. 

And for the record- chucking around 'you're gay'' type insults only serve to make you look stupid, rather than anyone else. 

So what you're saying is this guy is becoming a "well-known hater" :lol:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Oh I agree they should. The problem is many then try to pretend or delude themselves into thinking what they’re hearing is actually good on the merits. Not just good compared to their current expectations which are essentially in the toilet when in comparison to quality singing.