Would you play One in a million to non GNR fan friends ?

11 hours ago, El Guapo said:

I always found it way more likely that the lyrics were "from the character", not Axl's personal view. Is there anything known that indicates something else? 

I mean, his favorite singers were always Elton and Freddie. Can't think of anything racist either.

No he was a hayseed from Indiana that faced culture shock arriving in LA.

It's a shame Axl wasted such a great melody and chorus.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, El Guapo said:

I always found it way more likely that the lyrics were "from the character", not Axl's personal view. Is there anything known that indicates something else? 

I mean, his favorite singers were always Elton and Freddie. Can't think of anything racist either.

This. I never thought this song in anyway was reflection of Axl’s or the band’s view on race, sexual orientation, or immigration. Instead I believe it was supposed to be told from the perspective of a character who was probably based on people Axl grew up with in rural Indiana. The lyrics are highly controversial but were not as controversial in 1988. Younger “woke” people would be offended by the song but they are offended by everything anyway. The music in the song is absolutely incredible especially Slash’s guitar solo.

Edited by Arnuld
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Arnuld said:

This. I never thought this song in anyway was reflection of Axl’s or the band’s view on race, sexual orientation, or immigration. Instead I believe it was supposed to be told from the perspective of a character who was probably based on people Axl grew up with in rural Indiana. The lyrics are highly controversial but were not as controversial in 1988. Younger “woke” people would be offended by the song but they are offended by everything anyway. The music in the song is absolutely incredible especially Slash’s guitar solo.

Axl might have been writing from the perspective of a character, but that character was himself as he came to the big city. As far as I know, Axl never excused himself by arguing that he was writing from another person's perspective, that it was the views of some fictional character and that it wasn't a reflection of his own opinions. In that sense, he owned the lyrics. [It was Duff who would later claim it was written from a third person's experience.]

But Axl did argue that the he didn't mean to insult all black people and that his previous homophobia was a result of past experiences. He also said that the song came out much more forceful than intended. Furthermore, he knew the lyrics would be controversial and apologized on the cover of GNR Lies for generalizing and would apologize again later. Lastly, he would also claim he had changed and that the backlash has caused him to read up on black history. Because of all this, the song was never played again live (after the four, or so, initial live appearances) and Axl considered pulling it off the record but eventually decided that art came first even though he knew that would just cause him to be more criticized.

Axl from the RIP interview in 1992: "l wrote a song that was very simple and vague. (...)l think I showed that quite well from where l was at. The song most definitely was a survival mechanism. It was a way for me to express my anger at how vulnerable l felt in certain situations that had gone down in my life. It's not a song l would write now. The song is very generic and generalized, and I apologized for that on the cover of the record. Going back and reading it, it wasn't the best apology but, at the time, it was the best apology I could make."

And again, if you want to read all of this straight from the horse's mouth and not through my summary, go here: (49) 09. AUGUST-DECEMBER 1988: LIES AND THE SPOTLIGHT (a-4-d.com) and (49) 09. AUGUST-DECEMBER 1988: LIES AND THE SPOTLIGHT (a-4-d.com).

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 3

I never play GNR to anyone but my family :lol:

But if I did, I'd play oiam. It's a great song and I find it easy enough to explain. I guess everyone nowadays has been brought up with zero prejudice and can't possibly Imagine anything else. 

There are so many songs you can take offence with. I could play Cop Killer for someone. Doesn't Mean I condone cop killing or think it's cool to kill a cop. But I can explain the song.

Same way I don't condone femicide because I listen to Where the Wild Roses Grow or Hey Joe.

And that's not even mentioning all the sexist songs out there.

3 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

But Axl did argue that the he didn't mean to insult all black people and that his previous homophobia was a result of past experiences. He also said that the song came out much more forceful than intended. Furthermore, he knew the lyrics would be controversial and apologized on the cover of GNR Lies for generalizing and would apologize again later. Lastly, he would also claim he had changed and that the backlash has caused him to read up on black history. Because of all this, the song was never played again live (after the four, or so, initial live appearances) and Axl considered pulling it off the record but eventually decided that art came first even though he knew that would just cause him to be more criticized.

Axl from the RIP interview in 1992: "l wrote a song that was very simple and vague. (...)l think I showed that quite well from where l was at. The song most definitely was a survival mechanism. It was a way for me to express my anger at how vulnerable l felt in certain situations that had gone down in my life. It's not a song l would write now. The song is very generic and generalized, and I apologized for that on the cover of the record. Going back and reading it, it wasn't the best apology but, at the time, it was the best apology I could make."

I can tell Axl didn't mean it. He was similar to those furious and abrasive teens who always put labels on others and throw shades on anyone they don't like. His views on race and stuff were so personal and immature at the time he wrote the lyrics. People should never take those words seriously. And it's good that he actually apologized afterwards :book: 

A lot of other GNR lyrics are dated and outright cringe in this woke world and that includes stuff they released last year. I wouldn’t go around playing Absurd to anyone either…

Most people today want GNR to start with Sweet Child ‘O Mine and November Rain and end with Paradise City and Welcome to the Jungle.

38 minutes ago, Stress Fracture said:

A lot of other GNR lyrics are dated and outright cringe in this woke world and that includes stuff they released last year. I wouldn’t go around playing Absurd to anyone either…

Most people today want GNR to start with Sweet Child ‘O Mine and November Rain and end with Paradise City and Welcome to the Jungle.

One in A Million contains verses that are racist, homophobic and against immigrants. 

I have no problem with the lyrics to Absurd. They might be vulgar, but that's fine with me.

• Like 4

On 3/4/2022 at 10:03 AM, SoulMonster said:

Axl used all kinds of excuses, not so sure he talked about writing it from the perspective of as character beyond himself. Duff used that excuse, tho.

Read this: (49) 09. AUGUST-DECEMBER 1988: LIES AND THE SPOTLIGHT (a-4-d.com)

yeah the 3rd person excuse doesn’t stand up imo. It’s blatantly based on Axls thoughts and experiences of arriving in LA. He should have been honest and said, “ that’s exactly how I felt as a green midwestern kid turning up in the metropolis. But now I’ve grown up a bit, accustomed to life here and don’t hold those immediate prejudices. I’m mates with ice cube blah blah”

• Like 1

On 3/4/2022 at 7:17 AM, IrishgunnerII said:

Anyway, would you as a GNR fan play this song for a group of people who weren’t GNR fans, or just a group of people in general. I personally wouldn’t(along with a few other GNR songs) because while I may  be okay listening to it, that doesn’t mean that others would.

Is the question more about being ashamed to play it for a bunch of people or friends? Why would you care? It’s a song, like it’s a movie, or it’s a book, or it’s a tv series.... It’s nothing to do with me what Axl chose to say. I don’t agree with him, whatever others think about it is up to them, It surely would spark a conversation among my friends, but OIAM is not representative of me as a person because I like GNRs music. 

I wouldn’t let my Kids listen to it without a conversation, but grown people can make their own decisions on whatever artistic preferences they enjoy. It’s not anyone’s job to filter artistic enjoyment or interpretation for anyone else. Thats why you have varying interpretations of what Axl was saying or trying to say. Let people make their own decisions. 

27 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I'm a big fan of understanding context concerning art, so I would have no problem playing One In A Million for anyone. 

Maybe I should have put it this way instead of the long way. 😂

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Arnuld said:

Agreed. It's OBVIOUSLY about a fictional character, based what he saw, experienced, and understood in rural America. I don't think Axl condones or even has those feelings. He's being truthful about what life is like for a lot people he saw growing up. 

8 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I'm a big fan of understanding context concerning art, so I would have no problem playing One In A Million for anyone. 

tbh I reckon anyone who isn’t already partial to GnR in some way would hear it and think wtf that is a messed up song (unless they held those views themselves.) They’re unlikely to think hey yeah it’s just the thoughts of a naive young midwestern kid etc. In other words it would take a lot of context and explanation for anyone unacquainted to be sympathetic and not write him / the band off as toxic..

8 hours ago, BangoSkank said:

Agreed. It's OBVIOUSLY about a fictional character, based what he saw, experienced, and understood in rural America. I don't think Axl condones or even has those feelings. He's being truthful about what life is like for a lot people he saw growing up. 

sorry but I totally disagree. It’s obviously based on Axls experiences of the bus terminals in LA. He said so himself. And that doesn’t mean that he didn’t subsequently wise up and drop those prejudices gradually as he became accustomed to the city and grew up a bit.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Nice Boy said:

tbh I reckon anyone who isn’t already partial to GnR in some way would hear it and think wtf that is a messed up song (unless they held those views themselves.) They’re unlikely to think hey yeah it’s just the thoughts of a naive young midwestern kid etc. In other words it would take a lot of context and explanation for anyone unacquainted to be sympathetic and not write him / the band off as toxic..

Why would it take a lot of context and explanation to say "these lyrics are from the perspective of a character"? 

• Like 1

Why would it take a lot of context and explanation to say "these lyrics are from the perspective of a character"? 

You could, but I don’t believe they are from a character. I know that was one of the many contradictory explanations given, but I don’t think it’s true. I think the lyrics are totally based on Axls thoughts and fears arriving at the bus terminal and first experiences of LA. It was simpler to explain it away with the 3rd person/character excuse than be honest and say “I did think those things but now I feel differently having had more experience of life.” The lyrics are obviously about him getting hassled by black guys, cops, foreign store owners and predatory gay men. It’s not fiction. It’s what happened and how he felt in reaction. 

• Like 1

I’m sure all of those things that happened to him can be found in the interview transcripts on A4D. I’ve definitely read him describing the events before. Black guys selling chains and fake drugs, cops harassing him, foreign store owner chasing him out of shop, and the sexual assaults by his father and the guy he hitch hiked from. It all happened so not an imagined character.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nice Boy said:

You could, but I don’t believe they are from a character. I know that was one of the many contradictory explanations given, but I don’t think it’s true. I think the lyrics are totally based on Axls thoughts and fears arriving at the bus terminal and first experiences of LA. It was simpler to explain it away with the 3rd person/character excuse than be honest and say “I did think those things but now I feel differently having had more experience of life.” The lyrics are obviously about him getting hassled by black guys, cops, foreign store owners and predatory gay men. It’s not fiction. It’s what happened and how he felt in reaction. 

The fact that it's not fiction is just your opinion and I hold the opposite opinion. 

So if the original question is "would you play One In A Million for friends"?, my answer is still yes. 

The fact that it's not fiction is just your opinion and I hold the opposite opinion. 

So if the original question is "would you play One In A Million for friends"?, my answer is still yes. 

Well with respect, what aspects of it are fictional? Because as I mentioned above, Axl has referred to incidents with black guys and cops hassling, hostile foreign store owners, and sexual assault by predatory gay men.. I wish I could write it off as fiction / just a character but that doesn’t correlate to things he’s said happened to him..

• Like 2

I did play it for a former musician who played acoustlc guitar. He liked it a lot. I said I almost didn't let you hear it, but he said why? It's great! I guess it depends on the person hearing it.

If you are an adult, you can hear a lot of things without getting offended. It's the simple minded who would take offense, If you don't like it, you can just turn it off.

Tbf a lot of the context is, that Axl has since shown that he’s a lot more clued up than the scared young kid he was at the time of the OIAM experiences.

Ironically the people who actually do still have those kind of prejudices now regard Axl as a ‘woke’ / liberal / left winger because of his actions since.

Meanwhile idiots like Phil Anselmo are still getting drunk and shouting white power on stage then trying to excuse themselves out of that when sobered up. That’s someone who is still having trouble shaking off his dubious political attitudes at an age when he should have grown out of them. Axl is miles ahead of him in terms of maturity of outlook.

• Like 2