2023 WORLD TOUR

22 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Small correction to my previous post: the show in Minneapolis wasn't actually cancelled; just the city was not included in the original GN'R/Metallica tour schedule (but was added later).

Any idea why Chicago didn't get a Gn'R/Metallica show? 

49 minutes ago, GoBucky said:

Any idea why Chicago didn't get a Gn'R/Metallica show? 

They couldn't book shows in Chicago and some other big cities (Philadelphia, Cleveland, Atlanta etc.) because they couldn't find venues to play at. City councils and stadium management raised issues of safety, curfew, etc.

More details here (also about the "letter M" rumour):

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 7:47 AM, W. Axl Kev said:

Ugh, I hate this idea. I'm old enough to remember them bombing at Download 2006 (I was at their warm-up show at Hammersmith '06). A tedious, overly-long, obscure setlist featuring like 4/5 (CD) songs that they'd never released + 3 guitar solos from members the audience had never heard of. The UK media is brutal. Their 2 night stint in London this Summer didn't go well due to Axl's vocal problems (you pay to see GN'R and see Carrie Underwood singing SCOM instead you have a right to be annoyed) and they then canceled the show in Scotland which is yet to be re-arranged. Their overall perception in the UK isn't great at the minute.

Glastonbury headline acts are broadcast live on UK TV to the general public and are watched by millions. If they play that, Axl will have to find his inner 1993 because, if not, they'll be slaughtered and will never book an arena or stadium in the UK again. Mistake for me.

They "bombed" at Download because there was a very vocal part of the crowd booing and bringing a complete negative vibe to the set.

There was absolutely no reason for the crowd to boo GNR at this time as they arrived on stage at their designated time. They were also in the middle of heavy hitters like WTTJ, ISE, Brownstone, LALD they hadn't even got to the Chinese songs... Axl sounded incredible as did the band. Problem was the audience went in expecting GNR to be fuck acting, instead they got the opposite where GNR were ready to go and were delivering... but the crowd were all riled up and ready for the opposite, so it took until about half way through the 2nd half of the gig for the band and crowd to come together.

They played Dublin the day before and even with the 3 unknown songs the crowd loved it... same set list, came on stage on time, sang/played their asses off. 

So... did GNR stink up the stage or did the crowd just fuck up what would have been a great gig? I think the crowd are to blame. Public perception of GNR/Axl at the time was pretty fucking negative (somewhat fair, somewhat unfair) and that created the bedrock for their Download 2006 set.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

They "bombed" at Download because there was a very vocal part of the crowd booing and bringing a complete negative vibe to the set.

There was absolutely no reason for the crowd to boo GNR at this time as they arrived on stage at their designated time. They were also in the middle of heavy hitters like WTTJ, ISE, Brownstone, LALD they hadn't even got to the Chinese songs... Axl sounded incredible as did the band. Problem was the audience went in expecting GNR to be fuck acting, instead they got the opposite where GNR were ready to go and were delivering... but the crowd were all riled up and ready for the opposite, so it took until about half way through the 2nd half of the gig for the band and crowd to come together.

They played Dublin the day before and even with the 3 unknown songs the crowd loved it... same set list, came on stage on time, sang/played their asses off. 

So... did GNR stink up the stage or did the crowd just fuck up what would have been a great gig? I think the crowd are to blame. Public perception of GNR/Axl at the time was pretty fucking negative (somewhat fair, somewhat unfair) and that created the bedrock for their Download 2006 set.

the crowd made it possible for that show to be special imo. For Axl to turn it around. Also my favorite live version of Better with Axl standing still delivering brilliant vocals.

On 10/29/2022 at 2:50 PM, Tom2112 said:

This is a fair response but written from a very pro-GN'R point of view. The professional media reviews at the time weren't glowing about the show which they found disjointed and a bit weird. There was no love for Axl from the general public back then but that has definitely changed over the years.

10 minutes ago, W. Axl Kev said:

This is a fair response but written from a very pro-GN'R point of view. The professional media reviews at the time weren't glowing about the show which they found disjointed and a bit weird. There was no love for Axl from the general public back then but that has definitely changed over the years.

the professiomal media was extremely biased against Axl so taking what they said about the '06 Download show seriously doesn't make sense. They gave great reviews for less than stellar NITL shows as well imo. Some reviews seems honest but there's a lot of agenda driven shit out there when it comes to reviews I think.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Rovim said:

the professiomal media was extremely biased against Axl so taking what they said about the '06 Download show seriously doesn't make sense. They gave great reviews for less than stellar NITL shows as well imo. Some reviews seems honest but there's a lot of agenda driven shit out there when it comes to reviews I think.

From the media's point of view his behavior was bizarre and open to interpretation. They'd emerge with new band members on tour with zero dialogue with fans or the media and an album which he hardly even acknowledged the existence of (albeit I accept he did some interviews in 06 which suggested it'd come out at some point). He'd also come on stage 2/3 hours late still 14/15 years later and people just weren't having it any more. At the Hammersmith show in London in 06 it was getting so late that people were booing non-stop between songs over the PA. They eventually came on at 11:30pm and loads of people had to leave less than an hour later to make the last train. I didn't care because that didn't apply to me but shit like that didn't sit well with people when he re-emerged.

• Wow 1

3 minutes ago, W. Axl Kev said:

From the media's point of view his behavior was bizarre and open to interpretation. They'd emerge with new band members on tour with zero dialogue with fans or the media and an album which he hardly even acknowledged the existence of (albeit I accept he did some interviews in 06 which suggested it'd come out at some point). He'd also come on stage 2/3 hours late still 14/15 years later and people just weren't having it any more. At the Hammersmith show in London in 06 it was getting so late that people were booing non-stop between songs over the PA. They eventually came on at 11:30pm and loads of people had to leave less than an hour later to make the last train. I didn't care because that didn't apply to me but shit like that didn't sit well with people when he re-emerged.

Axl was unhinged from the start. Yeah he wasn't punctual, but some of the live shows in '06 for example, like the Download show were great. If you had to wait hours for the show to start and Axl killed it for 3 hours, you would have the responsibility as a professional reviewer to write a balanced review that reflects honestly the quality of the show, which is something the media often didn't do for Axl's Gn'R and for the NITL tour they did a 180 sometimes and gave a positive review for an average show like I've mentioned.

a lot of them write what they think people want to read or they just dislike Axl which was the reason for why I think some of it is shit that should not be taken seriously at all.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 4:40 PM, cineater said:

In mine, we just left Terrapin Station, a place where you look for inspiration.  My friend died and I got very sick.  I live but for the moment I'm stuck in GNR world.

I should probably check back in with my story.  It's been a while.  Been thinking about it so it's time to get back to writing.  One of my characters comes looking for me when I don't answer the call to write.  Funny how the mind works.

And he did, come looking for me.  :lol:  He left his walking stick by my fire pit.  A sure sign he wants to talk.  I'm curious to see what he has to say.  I never know where my stories are going.  That's the fun in writing.  I'm going to check in tonight.

Think im done seeing Guns at this stage. Will be 100 euro for a ticket next time round for the exact same show just worse again because Axls voice will be a year older. It sounded painful for him when I saw them in the summer, not mickey just painful on his poor old chords at this stage. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Sonic Reducer said:

I hope at least the band cares about its own public image.

we know Axl cares cause he slept at the venue at Spurs stadium and apologized to the crowd for the condition of his voice. but I think it's supposed to be the other way around in this genre of music. It's not an opera concert and Axl seems to be doing whatever he can to deliver so bottom line let them mock imo. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

we know Axl cares cause he slept at the venue at Spurs stadium and apologized to the crowd for the condition of his voice. but I think it's supposed to be the other way around in this genre of music. It's not an opera concert and Axl seems to be doing whatever he can to deliver so bottom line let them mock imo. 

That's because he had a genuine issue though, not because he just can't hit certain notes or sing with rasp anymore. Very different set of circumstances. Glastonbury won't take any shit about Axl dictating what can and can't be used for TV. For me, that's the only real issue I can foresee. The guy is more than capable of running to schedule these days, so that's a big box ticked. In terms of Axl's voice - we all know where it is and most of us have come to accept it. I'm not sure most of the pop/glamping crowd that goes to Glasto, or even watches on TV, will be though. Personally, I don't see it ending well, and I only worry for Axl as a fan, but he's a big boy and I'm sure will be water off a ducks back should they chose to play and Mickey rocks up.

Edited by invisible_rose

3 minutes ago, invisible_rose said:

That's because he had a genuine issue though, not because he just can't hit certain notes or sing with rasp anymore. Very different set of circumstances. Glastonbury won't take any shit about Axl dictating what can and can't be used for TV. For me, that's the only real issue I can foresee. The guy is more than capable of running to schedule these days, so that's a big box ticked. In terms of Axl's voice - we all know where it is and most of us have come to accept it. I'm not sure most of the pop/glamping crowd that goes to Glasto, or even watches on TV, will be though. Personally, I don't see it ending well, and I only worry for Axl as a fan, but he's a big boy and I'm sure will be water off a ducks back should they chose to play and Mickey rocks up.

I mentioned the Spur stadium incident and Axl's apology from the stage to demonstrate that he cares about the quality of his performance. Not sure exactly what your point is, what is there to worry about for Axl as a fan? even in his prime there were shows where he struggled and even some where he could barely sing.

I get that there are new vocal limitations cause he's older now, but this is not his first rodeo. I think it will be fine, even if it will end up being a vocally weaker show.

1 hour ago, invisible_rose said:

Glastonbury won't take any shit about Axl dictating what can and can't be used for TV.

Of course they will. The Rolling Stones refused to allow the first half of their set to be broadcast. Glastonbury/the BBC obliged.

And before you say "yeah, but that's The Rolling Stones", it's the festival that asks the acts to come – if the act says it doesn't want it broadcast, there's a good chance something will be worked out in the band's favour

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

I mentioned the Spur stadium incident and Axl's apology from the stage to demonstrate that he cares about the quality of his performance. Not sure exactly what your point is, what is there to worry about for Axl as a fan? even in his prime there were shows where he struggled and even some where he could barely sing.

I get that there are new vocal limitations cause he's older now, but this is not his first rodeo. I think it will be fine, even if it will end up being a vocally weaker show.

I think the big difference between showing up with a sore throat in the 80/90s is that it won't get coverage around the world, and all over Social Media and on terrestrial TV live, like Mickey turning up to one of largest festivals in the UK in the 2020's will. That's where my concern comes - not necessarily for Axl per se, but more the legacy of my favourite band, I suppose. Perhaps I'm acutely aware of the coverage Glastonbury has, the kind of people who tend to go and the press around it, more so than RIR for example. Dunno, just seems like a high risk, low reward show for me. Hopefully I'm wrong!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DoMw94 said:

Of course they will. The Rolling Stones refused to allow the first half of their set to be broadcast. Glastonbury/the BBC obliged.

And before you say "yeah, but that's The Rolling Stones", it's the festival that asks the acts to come – if the act says it doesn't want it broadcast, there's a good chance something will be worked out in the band's favour

Dude, the BBC puts the main acts out live each year. I just don't see Glastgo agreeing to forego the BBC coverage of the headliner to get GNR.