Was Izzy really asking for a lot of money to come back?

28 minutes ago, invisible_rose said:

I agree. And to be perfectly frank, I can imagine that was one of the big reasons Axl, Slash & Duff had no interest in giving Izzy a share in GNR. Axl has been dealing with that situation for years, he wasn't about to walk back in to another potential complication having got Slash & Duff back.

this

2 hours ago, invisible_rose said:

That's some ego there, Tommy. I'm sure the lure of millions and millions and millions of dollars was what pushed the reunion. Not an interchangeable bassist bailing. 

At the end of the day, Duff and Slash merely filled empty spots in the lineup after previous members left, just like their replacements did with them the first time around.

It's well known that family issues led to Tommy's exit. Had he not gone, there's a good chance the band would've just had Slash, or maybe even Ashba – he's the one who left when he could see the writing on the wall, not Tommy – and kept on going as it was.

Slash and Duff only returned because there were openings for them, the personal relationships were stable, and it made sense. There's a good reason Guns N' Roses have never once referred to it as a 'reunion' or marketed it as one – because it isn't. Two guys filled two spots that were open, it just so happens that those two guys were in the band before.

The whole Izzy/Richard, and Steven/Frank situation backs this up. It doesn't matter who you are, Axl doesn't seem to be the kind to kick someone out of the bad just to free up a space. If he was, we'd have an Appetite or Illusions lineup right now.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, invisible_rose said:

That's some ego there, Tommy. I'm sure the lure of millions and millions and millions of dollars was what pushed the reunion. Not an interchangeable bassist bailing. 

There was millions of dollars on the table for years before the reunion happened.

The huge payday from Coachella was a factor, but the bottom line is Slash and Duff came back because Axl needed replacement musicians.

• Like 2

On 12/29/2022 at 11:37 PM, DK6 said:

Is there seriously any possibility that slash would just show up with his guitar??

Always found that hilarious.

It would be a weird thing to do but Slash did do allot of weird things.

Like showing up to Axl's in the middle of the night and shitting on his bandmates to the nanny over the intercom :lol: 

Edited by -W.A.R-

2 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

It would be a weird thing to do but Slash did do allot of weird things.

Like showing up to Axl's in the middle of the night and shitting on his bandmates to the nanny over the intercom :lol: 

...and then lying about it, saying he never went to Axl's house. He was drunk I think, so I tend to believe this story and what Slash said about his VR band members. I think Slash wanted back in Gn'R 4 years or so after he left anyway. Maybe even earlier.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Karice said:

Honestly, GNR should just have a "The more the merrier," mindset and everyone who wants to be in GNR can join. 😏 In my Fictional Axl Rose story, there are roughly 21 GNR Members! 😏 

Gn'R did have a 'the more the merrier: mindset... twice. Sometimes less is more.

10 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

There was millions of dollars on the table for years before the reunion happened.

The huge payday from Coachella was a factor, but the bottom line is Slash and Duff came back because Axl needed replacement musicians.

That doesn't appear to be the case based on body language nor the way they treat each other on stage. 

They placed repairing and rebuilding there personal relationships before filling a spot in the band or for financial gain. 

It's very clear based on there interaction on stage, they have moved on from the past and put all behind them.. 

Thats a mature approach to life and business. 

I would suspect the reason why Izzy isn't in the band, is a very simple one. 

Issues were going to be created that would place those repaired personal relationships at risk including the individual relationship each of them have with Izzy. 

I think all involved are at peace with there respected decisions and directions in life. 

Edited by kiwiguns

3 hours ago, Karice said:

Honestly, GNR should just have a "The more the merrier," mindset and everyone who wants to be in GNR can join. 😏 In my Fictional Axl Rose story, there are roughly 21 GNR Members! 😏 

Please tell us more about your fictional story. You haven't mentioned it quiet enough yet

Also your comment shows you have no clue what gnr is

Edited by Stay.Of.Execution
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, kiwiguns said:

It's very clear based on there interaction on stage, they have moved on from the past and put all behind them.. 

Sure, but that doesn't change the fact they came in to replace people who left.

There's nothing unusual about being friends with your co-workers. They might all get along again, but the fact of the matter is, if Tommy, Bumblefoot, and/or Ashba hadn't left, they wouldn't be back

• Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

7 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

There's nothing unusual about being friends with your co-workers. They might all get along again, but the fact of the matter is, if Tommy, Bumblefoot, and/or Ashba hadn't left, they wouldn't be back

yea Slash is just a GnR co - worker. They all just co- work as employees for Axl, but everybody knows that.

• ABSUЯD 1

8 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

Everything fell into place very conveniently

16 hours ago, kiwiguns said:

That doesn't appear to be the case based on body language nor the way they treat each other on stage. 

They placed repairing and rebuilding there personal relationships before filling a spot in the band or for financial gain. 

Thats a mature approach to life and business. 

I would suspect the reason why Izzy isn't in the band, is a very simple one. 

Issues were going to be created that would place those repaired personal relationships at risk including the individual relationship each of them have with Izzy. 

I think all involved are at peace with there respected decisions and directions in life.

Axl and Duff had been friendly for years before he officially re-joined. Axl and Slash's business relationship was thawing in the years leading up to the reunion. They all probably did want to repair relationships, but Axl waited until 2015 because that's when he needed band members.

Even in 2011 Axl had said that if there was a reunion, it would be him/Slash/Duff, Izzy or Steven wouldn't be involved.

All these managers, they know one thing. They know that they can at least ... sell a reunion tour and get their commission. It’s just a phone call. It’s a half a day’s ... work, or however long they want to keep the bidding war going. They get their commission and they don’t care if it falls on its face.

Because, really, you can get guys from the "Illusion" thing, but the only thing that would make it would be Duff and Slash, really. It’s nothing against Izzy and it’s nothing against Steven, or anything like that. Steven may want it, but these guys I’m working with right now, they work really hard and it’s hard work. I’ve toured with the other guys and I’ve also seen what they’ve done since, and I just know the difficulties.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t1320-2011-12-21-los-angeles-times-interview-with-axl

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Rovim said:

yea Slash is just a GnR co - worker. They all just co- work as employees for Axl, but everybody knows that.

(Sorry if I've misinterpreted your message here but...) I mean, I wouldn't read too much into what I was saying there. They literally are two human beings who work together. Yes, there's history, and a personal friendship, but they literally go to work together 🤷

6 hours ago, moreblack said:

Everything fell into place very conveniently

Exactly

No, I don’t think we can claim we know that Slash (and Duff) are just Axl’s employees. Just because he owns the name, that doesn’t mean the business relationship can be derived this clearly from that. 
I’ve said it before: Axl needs Slash more than Slash needs Axl. Slash could release and tour his solo stuff forever and be fine with it. Again, his divorce settlement money was calculated before the reunion. He’d be off the hook. If Axl, however, lost him again, it would be the end of GNR, as there’s no way he could sell even 1/4 of the venues he does now, had he composed yet another Ashba-like incarnation – even if he sounded like 2010 again, which he doesn’t and won’t. 
They may have mended fences and go something like 50/50 or 60/40 between these two, or something very similar, plus Duff. 
In short: Slash had no reason (not even money, see above) to do anything he wouldn’t like, which includes being under some Axl’s strict helm. This is not NuGNR anymore, and these guys don't have the status of just some replaceable employees. I think they are pretty amicable, even though it’s also cold business at the same time, and yes, Axl must be the one who ultimately has the last word, obviously. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

On 12/29/2022 at 12:31 PM, Tom2112 said:

Smells like someone who doesn't understand the music business and ownership. 

I love Izzy and what he brought to the band, but he left the fucking band, he left the fucking band, how are the other guys the bad guys?? He left the fucking band *walks out of the room*

Metallica's Lars Ulrich: "He Fucking Left The Band". animated gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/1/2023 at 8:44 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

Residency at Vegas vs the 3rd highest grossing tour of all time...

• GNFNR 1

7 hours ago, jamillos said:

No, I don’t think we can claim we know that Slash (and Duff) are just Axl’s employees. Just because he owns the name, that doesn’t mean the business relationship can be derived this clearly from that. 

I don't think anyone's saying that – they're equals, I don't think anyone's assuming Axl's above them. They partners in the business anyway, aren't they?

46 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

I don't think anyone's saying that – they're equals, I don't think anyone's assuming Axl's above them. They partners in the business anyway, aren't they?

Several people have been saying it throughout the forum; one of these similar posts is on the preceding page. We all see it our own way, sure, but I just disagree with this opinion. 

On 1/1/2023 at 5:56 PM, invisible_rose said:

I agree. And to be perfectly frank, I can imagine that was one of the big reasons Axl, Slash & Duff had no interest in giving Izzy a share in GNR. Axl has been dealing with that situation for years, he wasn't about to walk back in to another potential complication having got Slash & Duff back.

That interchangeable bassist basically held the band together for 20yrs, and outside of gnr circles he's pretty well respected including by Duff.

I don't think there was the slightest bit of ego, he said his circumstances led it to a place where there was an opening that might have set the ball rolling for future discussions about Slash.

Obviously the money was a big factor too. He's no dumby thinking he is to blame/thank for the reunion 

Tommy is a good egg. He joined Soul Asylum for 7 years, while still being in GnR, because Soul Asylum's original bassplayer died from cancer and he wanted Tommy to join the band. Ok, Tommy and Soul Asylum go way back and are old friends, they're from the same town and scene, but still great of him to help them out and basically help them keep going after the death of an original member.

• Like 1