What's Something Axl Gets Shit For That You Back Him On?

For me, there are many, but one is stopping the show when people are either throwing things or messing with someone else in the crowd.  

I’m not talking about him leaving the stage entirely and never coming back ala St. Louis, but mostly on the ‘06 tour when someone threw a bottle of piss at Tommy or here:

https://youtu.be/D2HuEwWtApk?t=133

I do not think he should stand for that. And I believe Lemmy gave him the advice to not stand for it either. 

Let the record show there is plenty that I don’t support him on too. For example: lateness.

Edited by BangoSkank
Bolding
  • Like 2
  • Wow 1

You have to remember, a lot of people threw stuff because he came on stage 3 hours late, so they were frustrated and probably very drunk. That's not condoning it, but he created that situation nearly every time it arose. If you're due on at 8 and coming on at 11, those people are 3 hours more drunk and also now missing their transport home and spending extra or leaving early.

I saw GnR about 10x between 2006 and 2012, and i knew he was going be 3 hours late, so planned accordingly for it. Sadly not everyone expected that or planned for it. Made for an electric atmosphere though, half the crowd wanted to kick the shit out of axl and the other half were mesmerised. 

• Like 4

Even if he lost most of the band, took way too long to make the record and the result wasn't anything amazing, the fact that he cared/was arrogant enough to refuse to do It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere as a GnR record and at least attempted to update the sound of the band gains my respect.

Keeping the name deducts some points, however. 

Edited by Crazyman
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, BangoSkank said:

For me, there are many, but one is stopping the show when people are either throwing things or messing with someone else in the crowd.  

I’m not talking about him leaving the stage entirely and never coming back ala St. Louis, but mostly on the ‘06 tour when someone threw a bottle of piss at Tommy or here:

https://youtu.be/D2HuEwWtApk?t=133

I do not think he should stand for that. And I believe Lemmy gave him the advice to not stand for it either. 

Let the record show there is plenty that I don’t support him on too. For example: lateness.

Duff getting hit in the head by a bottle of piss in 93 is one that comes to mind and something no performer should stand for. 

Edited by vloors
  • Like 2

His UYI era stage clothing style. Judging it from 2023 and laughing at it is lame; these people don't realize they'll be laughed at too one day by the like-minded. 

He pulled off spandexes with rocker jackets, and he was the fucking king of the rock world. 

• Like 2

His weight.

I've never once considered Axl to be even slightly overweight, dude has always just looked healthy to me. He may carry a bit more weight now that he's not 20 years old but he's never been overweight in my opinion.

• Like 3

Hmm, it is probably easier to say the things I won't back him on than all the things I have no problems with, and the only thing I find inexcusable are the cases of violence and temper tantrums.

Then there are lots of things I would have done differently if I was him, like being more communicative, manage the lineups differently, release more music, etc - but those are his decisions to make and it is not for me to back them or not to back them. If those decisions were the right for him to make, then who am I to question them? For all I know, those decisions could have been crucial for his well-being and happiness. If it was up to me, I would have done things differently, but if I was in his shoes, who knows.

The rest, and there's a lot of it, I think he handles really well and I would hopefully have done the same in his position.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trin9498 said:

His relationship with Beta and TB. It’s his de-facto family. If he’s happy with them, Godspeed. 

100% this. Regardless of what any of us think about TB's ability to manage the band, those guys have been there for Axl through thick and thin and he's always been protective over them.

Axl gets a lot of shit for being a volatile character, but it is only seemingly when he's crossed. Until that point, he's clearly a very loyal friend.  

1 hour ago, invisible_rose said:

100% this. Regardless of what any of us think about TB's ability to manage the band, those guys have been there for Axl through thick and thin and he's always been protective over them.

Axl gets a lot of shit for being a volatile character, but it is only seemingly when he's crossed. Until that point, he's clearly a very loyal friend.  

Yeah I fully agree - TB is horrendous with fan interactions (and I speak from experience), but you can see that they really have helped Axl through a lot and he deeply cares for them. The video of him defending Beta at the airport comes to mind. Of course people want to paint it as "Look how reactive and crazy Axl is," but if someone did that to my mom or a mother-figure to me I'd do the exact same thing. 

We honestly probably wouldn't have Axl performing today without Beta & Co.

8 minutes ago, EvanG said:

His cornrows

Axl Rose | Axl rose, Beautiful men, Celebrities

Honestly, I agree - they were sick and I give him credit for sticking with whatever fashion he wants despite what anyone says.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

Honestly? The singing.

He's an older fella who we know for a fact is coached, warms up, and warms down. It's obvious he sings the way he does for a reason.

There's also no chance a human being can sustain singing the way he did for 40-odd years without damage.

Yes, he sings differently to how he did back in the day, but he's not stupid. Obviously there are reasons for it.

It's either look after his voice and sing the way he does, or be even worse. I know which of those two options I'd rather have...

100% - He even said in the China Exchange press conference that he knows fan don't like his clean voice, but it hurts him to sing with rasp (paraphrasing). It is what it is. 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 7:17 PM, DoMw94 said:

Honestly? The singing.

He's an older fella who we know for a fact is coached, warms up, and warms down. It's obvious he sings the way he does for a reason.

There's also no chance a human being can sustain singing the way he did for 40-odd years without damage.

Yes, he sings differently to how he did back in the day, but he's not stupid. Obviously there are reasons for it.

It's either look after his voice and sing the way he does, or be even worse. I know which of those two options I'd rather have...

Sorry, but this one always astounds me. What does that make Sammy Hagar, Ann Wilson and Steven Tyler? Because they can't be human as they are all older and still singing their asses off WITH high ranges and aggressive styles.

We know for fact he has worked with a coach. We do not know for a fact how often he does.

People say he destroyed his voice with AC/DC but he was touring with Ron Anderson at the time. How does this make sense? I'm supposed to believe that one of the most acclaimed vocal coaches was listening to his student sing in a destructive way, allowing him to blow out his voice? Nope. His voice did change in the months afterwards, but I'd bet top dollar that was because his practice routine changed along with his motivations.

And yes, as you age your voice changes, and higher registers become more and more difficult... But if you practice and warm up and down each day with the right method, your vocal chords will keep much of their elasticity, you will still hit the high notes with power and depth, if you don't you will lose it finding yourself struggling to do things you did a year before. But!! You can rehab your voice, it is a choice he is making to sound the way he does.

Axl doesn't need to go out there a rasp all night, he just needs to sound powerful in whatever voice he chooses to use. This is not about expecting to hear the classic era voice or even what he did in 2009/2016

There is quite a bit, but I will back any performer that doesn't want stuff thrown at them onstage and stops shows/has whoever is doing it removed. I mean if I was at my work place and got a bottle of pee thrown at my head I'd be mad about it too. Also his fashion choices, there have been a ton of doozies but I can respect anybody who looks and dresses how they want without caring what other people think, from his booty shorts to the braids lol 

• Like 2