The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

Everyone has their own opinion.

I love many songs from RHCP’s new albums. Eddie blows me away. Black Summer is a great lead single and when I saw them live crowd was pumped when they started playing it.

I think new Foo Fighters record is amazing and due to devastating circumstances it brings me to tears.

I think new Metallica album is decent but a bit too bloated. But still it is a solid effort. 

51 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

The new albums were so genetic. 

All of the albums that I mentioned are generic. And I really don’t care.

Music is a form of expression. I don’t expect 60 year-olds to be as creative as they were 35 years ago. I don’t think anyone would even really want that. They have their legacy and their style on which they’ve been working for years. And you know, it’s always better to make a new record than not. Some people will love it for sure. And that’s why I don’t understand Axl’s aversion to release stuff that he already has. Especially when there’s that not much in his catalogue.

• Like 3

All of these legacy acts are releasing albums that they created relatively recent prior to the release. The one positive of Axl not putting out music is that he is sat on a load of material from what is arguably his creative pomp where he was attempting to reinvent himself and had a point to prove, and the Village Leaks only solidified my belief that there is more than enough material for another great Guns N’ Roses album.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, alangarcianr said:

i agree that RHCP reached its peak +20 years ago but with frusciante back I think we were all expecting something at least memorable or above average. 
I love RHCP but both UL and RODC were pretty generic. I think some of the non-hits Stadium Arcadium songs (slow cheetah, strip my mind, she looks to me) are way better than the latest singles (black summer, Eddie, etc).

Same will happen with gnr if they release a new record. Everyone will be expecting another November rain and that won’t ever happen again. I’m okay with Chinese leftovers as I think they’re way better than everything Metallica or RCHP or Pearl Jam could release in the future 

Hmm. 72 Seasons is tremendous….there are a couple of tracks which are absolutely filler but the rest is awesome. Different styles of course but GNR would have to really improve on the Locker stuff to match MetallicA. And I say that as someone who thinks Perhaps…Atlas Shrugged…Zodiac 13…..State if Grace and Eye On You (a bit dated/2000 but nails that time and style) are very good!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sl4yer said:

Everyone has their own opinion.

I love many songs from RHCP’s new albums. Eddie blows me away. Black Summer is a great lead single and when I saw them live crowd was pumped when they started playing it.

I think new Foo Fighters record is amazing and due to devastating circumstances it brings me to tears.

I think new Metallica album is decent but a bit too bloated. But still it is a solid effort. 

All of the albums that I mentioned are generic. And I really don’t care.

Music is a form of expression. I don’t expect 60 year-olds to be as creative as they were 35 years ago. I don’t think anyone would even really want that. They have their legacy and their style on which they’ve been working for years. And you know, it’s always better to make a new record than not. Some people will love it for sure. And that’s why I don’t understand Axl’s aversion to release stuff that he already has. Especially when there’s that not much in his catalogue.

Black Summer is fine, but I wouldn't put it in their top 30 songs.  I did think it was a highlight of their live show though. Aquatic mouth dance was a highlight too.  

I can't even remember anything else off those albums truthfully. It's been probably 6 months since I listened to either and I just found them very forgettable.

I don't expect bands to be at the top of their game and their most creative when they are in their 50s and 60s but that doesn't mean that they can't put out something decent.  

The new Queens of the Stone Age for example is fantastic, and Josh is turning 50 soon (or already did).  Ozzy's last album was great, so was Maiden's. 

I just don't think the RHCP had enough good material for two albums last year.  I'm glad you enjoy it though!  RHCP was the first concert I ever went to (with the foo fighters as the opener!) over 20 years ago so they always will hold a special place in my heart 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Hmm. 72 Seasons is tremendous….there are a couple of tracks which are absolutely filler but the rest is awesome. Different styles of course but GNR would have to really improve on the Locker stuff to match MetallicA. And I say that as someone who thinks Perhaps…Atlas Shrugged…Zodiac 13…..State if Grace and Eye On You (a bit dated/2000 but nails that time and style) are very good!

I'm a casual Metallica fan, thought the new album was fine but the only standout was Inamorata. Still, one great new song per album is better than zero new songs... I don't think there's much GNR could do to improve Atlas, but SOG has potential to be epic (like TWAT, the Village version is good but the later versions were great). Perhaps is a good song that will probably suffer a similar fate as Hardschool, but it's still good enough to be on an album.

5 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

Black Summer is fine, but I wouldn't put it in their top 30 songs.  I did think it was a highlight of their live show though. Aquatic mouth dance was a highlight too.  

I can't even remember anything else off those albums truthfully. It's been probably 6 months since I listened to either and I just found them very forgettable.

I don't expect bands to be at the top of their game and their most creative when they are in their 50s and 60s but that doesn't mean that they can't put out something decent.  

The new Queens of the Stone Age for example is fantastic, and Josh is turning 50 soon (or already did).  Ozzy's last album was great, so was Maiden's. 

I just don't think the RHCP had enough good material for two albums last year.  I'm glad you enjoy it though!  RHCP was the first concert I ever went to (with the foo fighters as the opener!) over 20 years ago so they always will hold a special place in my heart 

I thought the new songs were among the best parts of the show when I saw them a few months ago. Black Summer got a good crowd response and the live versions of Eddie are insanely good, and I got a decent recording of Carry Me Home.

I agree with you about wanting more though, my only complaint about the show is they should play for at least 2 hours if they're playing stadiums and charging hundreds. I appreciate that they rotate the setlists and I was lucky to get Otherside, Wet Sand, etc. but it wouldn't hurt to make Under The Bridge a staple.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

I really hate when Guns fans try to justify no new music by claiming that everyone else's music sucks. 

I've seen people on here say the same about RHCP, Foo fighters, Slash, Metallica etc

Yes, most of those artists peaked a long time ago and won't ever be able to recreate the classics of the past but they are still artists and all have released some cool music imho. 

Axl doesn't appear to have written anything new in at least 20 years and if stuff didn't leak I'm not sure he'd ever have released any of it. 

Totally agree. Everyone’s music sucks LOL yet GNR has a vault full of mega hits. They’re just getting push back from the label ….that and you CANT tell them when to release music. We have no right to expect them to release music. 

Edited by Trin9498
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, ChrisW said:

Axl's now in his 60s and has nothing to show for the second half of his life.  If he died today, the halfway point of his life would be ending the G'n'R/Metallica tour. 

Career ≠ life. Axl doesn't have much to show for his music career, but I don't think that matters much to him. That's the real difference between Axl and the other people you mentioned. For them, making music is life to them, it's part of their purpose on earth, it's part of their identity, and it's what makes them happy. In contrast, Axl has obviously found his fulfillment/happiness elsewhere in his life. If he doesn't need to make music to be happy, then why would he try?

Axl's at a point (aka rich enough) where he doesn't have to do anything that he doesn't want to do. There's no incentive for him to put himself through the stress of making music and then releasing it to be dissected and likely rejected by people with years worth of built-up expectations. It only puts his hard-earned peace of mind at risk for little to gain in return.

I also think the only reason he hasn't retired and disappeared from the public eye completely is that he still enjoys being on stage and performing for the fans. The minute that stops being enjoyable for him, I think we won't hear from him ever again tbh.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I'm a casual Metallica fan, thought the new album was fine but the only standout was Inamorata. Still, one great new song per album is better than zero new songs... I don't think there's much GNR could do to improve Atlas, but SOG has potential to be epic (like TWAT, the Village version is good but the later versions were great). Perhaps is a good song that will probably suffer a similar fate as Hardschool, but it's still good enough to be on an album.

I thought the new songs were among the best parts of the show when I saw them a few months ago. Black Summer got a good crowd response and the live versions of Eddie are insanely good, and I got a decent recording of Carry Me Home.

I agree with you about wanting more though, my only complaint about the show is they should play for at least 2 hours if they're playing stadiums and charging hundreds. I appreciate that they rotate the setlists and I was lucky to get Otherside, Wet Sand, etc. but it wouldn't hurt to make Under The Bridge a staple.

The two shows I saw had pretty different sets so that was nice but when tickets are a few hundred bucks how many people are seeing multiple shows?  And with such a deep history of mega hits to skip so many definitely left the casuals confused. When the lights came up each time (well before the 11 pm curfews) everyone was left really confused.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bitchisback said:

The two shows I saw had pretty different sets so that was nice but when tickets are a few hundred bucks how many people are seeing multiple shows?  And with such a deep history of mega hits to skip so many definitely left the casuals confused. When the lights came up each time (well before the 11 pm curfews) everyone was left really confused.

When I saw them the setlist had I Could Have Lied or Under The Bridge, they played I Could Have Lied and after the song Anthony said something like "that's always the right choice". It was a great performance and I'd rather see a band play what they want even if it means skipping a hit. At least half their show is big hits anyway, and they find a good balance with the new songs and fan-favourites. I'm kind of surprised they haven't played stuff like Breaking The Girl, Higher Ground or Power Of Equality since John returned though.

45 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

When I saw them the setlist had I Could Have Lied or Under The Bridge, they played I Could Have Lied and after the song Anthony said something like "that's always the right choice". It was a great performance and I'd rather see a band play what they want even if it means skipping a hit. At least half their show is big hits anyway, and they find a good balance with the new songs and fan-favourites. I'm kind of surprised they haven't played stuff like Breaking The Girl, Higher Ground or Power Of Equality since John returned though.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/red-hot-chili-peppers/2022/citizens-bank-park-philadelphia-pa-63b0aa93.html

This was the set the first time I saw them last year.  And don't get me wrong. It's a great set. The deep cuts they played were awesome. It just would have been a perfect set if they threw in under the bridge, scar tissue, parallel universes, breaking the girl and higher ground.  Or a few others they missed.  Take the show to the 2 hour mark.  I mean it is what it is.  It was a good show and the strokes opened up which was cool too.  

Taking this back to GnR I think it just makes me appreciate what they do on stage even more. The sets are ridiculous even if they have grown stale for some people.  They get it here for 3 hours and give it their all and play not only all their hire but some of their best deep cuts too.  And my GNR tickets were cheaper than my RHCP.  But I'm glad I get to go to both shows lol 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, siraddam said:

Did Slash say exactly how many songs he'd worked on?

2 minutes ago, Dummy said:

4-6 including hardskool and absurd

What Dummy said is his most recent, but he has mentioned dropping singles until there was enough to then release it as a full album. As always, expect nothing!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

I also saw them live twice last year and both shows were a bit underwhelming too.  Both times the band only played 90 minutes (maybe a little more) and left out major hits like Scar Tissue, Under the Bridge and Otherside.

They did play some deep cuts which I appreciated and I had fun at both shows but for the RHCP to move into a stadium act and charge hundreds of dollars for their tickets I left both shows expecting a little more I guess.  

going to see them at tottenham hotspur stadium in london. looking at their recent shows they're doing that annoying thing of alternating 2 different 90 minute sets. rather than just doing a kick ass 2 hour show. so you won't get give it away and under the bridge on the same show, it's one or the other etc. it's pisspoor really but my Mrs loves them so im taking her. 

Edited by JimiRose

8 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

It's probably already mentioned here somewhere...

I just read a review about the Frankfurt show from the german Classic Rock Magazine.

They say Duff said the next day that "there will be news from Guns N' Roses very shortly, probably this week". 

https://classicrock.net/guns-n-roses-frankfurt-deutsche-bank-park-03-07/?fbclid=IwAR2X1GIEemo-T4sK2AG_YvA3ehdjq3nvB5V2x-VChm1AD2PSSvUY6G8SYcs

Wow, thats pretty interesting. So random that they got to interview him in the first place.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

It's probably already mentioned here somewhere...

I just read a review about the Frankfurt show from the german Classic Rock Magazine.

They say Duff said the next day that "there will be news from Guns N' Roses very shortly, probably this week". 

https://classicrock.net/guns-n-roses-frankfurt-deutsche-bank-park-03-07/?fbclid=IwAR2X1GIEemo-T4sK2AG_YvA3ehdjq3nvB5V2x-VChm1AD2PSSvUY6G8SYcs

Wow - interesting! Hopefully re new music and not another tour or something.🤞

Edited by DTJ80