The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

1 minute ago, GNRfanMILO said:

I don't even think there's a reason to discuss this. The vocals are literally there, they can be heard.

Yeah, the discussion around this is just getting annoying to read at this point. The vocals are very clearly audible lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

Well first off, I commend you and the others on your excellent listening abilities. I apologize for not being able to hear it myself.

As for the 2002 flashbacks, I very much heard those and instantly identified them as new studio recordings - especially Madagascar, which had never been performed in that broken raspy timbre live. I guess my ears have degraded in the last 19 years.

Thanks. Hope your ears get better eventually. 

Funny thing is that this has nothing to do with that Spotify thing, which by the way people were just trying to find information, but I don’t recall anyone ever saying that a release was def imminent. And yes, you should take the word of the majority on this because it’s not really wishful thinking, it’s just common sense by now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think The General is probably the next single after Perhaps, but that soundcheck from last year has always been a huge stretch. I'm pretty sure the drums had to be edited to match the tempo on the cellphone recording in that 'comparison video' someone made a while ago, and the rest of the song didn't sound like what we've heard from The General.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, metalavenger99 said:

Damn, i didn't remember the "2012" part, so there were plans for a trilogy at least until 2007... what a disgrace that we are only getting 4-6 songs. 

4-6 songs that we already have, except for General which only a few have.

Silkworms (absurd)

Hardskool

Perhaps

The General

Fatlas

OMG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

Nevermind.

I’ll just say that I hope The General is the next, and last, release from the Chinese Democracy era. Unless they ever got around to finishing Tonto.

Sorry to open the conversation again. 

Didn't somebody isolate the lyrics with ia? 

I heard a version with some clear lyrics

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, he did. He also described the vocals:

Bach: [...] One of my favorite songs — I asked Axl if I could mention the song titles and he said "Fine" — and one of my favorite songs is this song called "The General", which is so… it's by far the heaviest metal tune I think Ι've ever heard Axl do, this slow, grinding riff with these high, piercing vocals, screaming vocals. I was like, "When is this coming out?" And he said, "2012." I was like, "Dude, you're killin' me!" He goes, "Well, this comes out on the third record. It relates to this song, it's a trilogy, this goes with this lyrically." He's got it all figured out, he's just different than other people. He does things on his own time, in his own way, but you know... the world's not prepared for what I've heard from this guy. [Metal Edge, Nov. 2007]

I reckon 16 year later I'm fully prepared for what Sebastian Bach has heard from Axl. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Lelex95 said:

Sorry to open the conversation again. 

Didn't somebody isolate the lyrics with ia? 

I heard a version with some clear lyrics

Yeah, there was one on YouTube.

I actually sent that video to @GoodOlJohnnyK when he asked for The General, along with the original cellphone clip.

Voice was very hearable. I guess he couldn’t hear it on that one either :wow:

• Like 2
  • ABSUЯD 1

1 hour ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Yeah, there was one on YouTube.

I actually sent that video to @GoodOlJohnnyK when he asked for The General, along with the original cellphone clip.

Voice was very hearable. I guess he couldn’t hear it on that one either :wow:

I appreciate you sending it to me. I just listened to it again.

I hear what could be vocals at about 1:30 in - some “doo-doo” sounding things. Then I hear something at about 2:00 in that sounds like it could be his Brownstone tone making an “ow” syllable. And then the last 15 seconds of the clip is where I hear it the most - sounds like Axl in a very high raspy voice, particularly at 2:52. That’s what I hear. So the point is, I’m not hearing a whole lot. The lead guitar sounds cool though. That cuts through pretty well.

edited to add: I’d listened to the EQ’d version you sent me as well. My issue was I couldn’t match what I was hearing with the lyrics posted on the video. I remember a line about vampires he had singled out. I also remember a part where  my thought was “I didn’t hear *anything* there, how’d this person come up with that line?”

Edited by GoodOlJohnnyK
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, he did. He also described the vocals:

Bach: [...] One of my favorite songs — I asked Axl if I could mention the song titles and he said "Fine" — and one of my favorite songs is this song called "The General", which is so… it's by far the heaviest metal tune I think Ι've ever heard Axl do, this slow, grinding riff with these high, piercing vocals, screaming vocals. I was like, "When is this coming out?" And he said, "2012." I was like, "Dude, you're killin' me!" He goes, "Well, this comes out on the third record. It relates to this song, it's a trilogy, this goes with this lyrically." He's got it all figured out, he's just different than other people. He does things on his own time, in his own way, but you know... the world's not prepared for what I've heard from this guy. [Metal Edge, Nov. 2007]

I thought the slow grinding tune Bach was describing turned out to be Sorry in the end? 

Just now, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

Wasn’t Bach on background vocals on Sorry?

Yea, he talked about Axl playing Sorry at a party and he sang along with a high vocal harmony, which Axl liked and asked him to record for the album. After he did the backing vocals Baz asked 'when are you gonna play on my album' which lead to the Angel Down guest spots.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Elsewhere he described Sorry as "doom metal".

This is why I temper my expectations when a recording engineer describes the new music being recorded as “sounding like Appetite.”

I actually see what Bach is saying - it’s slower and plodding, and the chorus is sludgy. But it’s not how I would have described it, necessarily.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

This is why I temper my expectations when a recording engineer describes the new music being recorded as “sounding like Appetite.”

I actually see what Bach is saying - it’s slower and plodding, and the chorus is sludgy. But it’s not how I would have described it, necessarily.

Yea the descriptions of Sorry, Atlas, Prostitute etc. over the years should definitely lower expectations when people talk about new songs sounding like classic GNR. I assume Perhaps will sound similar to Hardschool, but I hope the mix is better.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea the descriptions of Sorry, Atlas, Prostitute etc. over the years should definitely lower expectations when people talk about new songs sounding like classic GNR. I assume Perhaps will sound similar to Hardschool, but I hope the mix is better.

Sorry was described as doom metal with a mean slow grinding beat lol. It’s more like a GNR version of late 70s Pink Floyd with much cheesier lyrics. 

Atlas was described as glam rock meets November Rain double lol. The first minute (which is actually quite good) is kinda like the Who. The rest of the song sounds like third eye blind hired Axl Rose as their singer and all of a sudden Brian May from Queen came out of nowhere and sprayed painted a solo onto the song. 

Prostitute I believe was described as fire and ice (I have no idea what that was supposed to mean) and while it’s quite good like the other songs took on a mythical type quality which it could not live up to. 

I hope the General is awesome. But the problem with all these songs (including everything on CD) is that they take so long to come out that they never seem to be able to live up to the myth. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ok guys, I have some new info regarding the upcoming release. Not sure if this is related to the single or the album but here we go:

- Grey suits and red ties are involved, might be related to the promotion/music video, not sure
- Term "quattro" is related
- Also "pizza", but probably not "quattro stagione"
- Number 90 is also important
- They will be doing late night promos this time, Jimmy Kimmel etc

There was something more but I forgot. Since this info was "given" me via dream, it might not be totally accurate, but I'd say around 92% of it is true. We'll see...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LandOla said:

Ok guys, I have some new info regarding the upcoming release. Not sure if this is related to the single or the album but here we go:

- Grey suits and red ties are involved, might be related to the promotion/music video, not sure

There was something more but I forgot. Since this info was "given" me via dream, it might not be totally accurate, but I'd say around 92% of it is true. We'll see...

Source: trust me bro

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, LandOla said:

Nope, too hard to believe. They would never promote one of their releases.

6 hours ago, Arnuld said:

Sorry was described as doom metal with a mean slow grinding beat lol. It’s more like a GNR version of late 70s Pink Floyd with much cheesier lyrics. 

Atlas was described as glam rock meets November Rain double lol. The first minute (which is actually quite good) is kinda like the Who. The rest of the song sounds like third eye blind hired Axl Rose as their singer and all of a sudden Brian May from Queen came out of nowhere and sprayed painted a solo onto the song. 

Prostitute I believe was described as fire and ice (I have no idea what that was supposed to mean) and while it’s quite good like the other songs took on a mythical type quality which it could not live up to. 

I hope the General is awesome. But the problem with all these songs (including everything on CD) is that they take so long to come out that they never seem to be able to live up to the myth. 

Wasn't it the strings that were referred to as fire and ice. Which I can totally see if you listen to the isolated string and synth parts.