06/17/23 - Copenhagen DK - Copenhell

downzy

6 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I think we're all pretty used to how they sound now but have a renewed interest/enthusiasm by the fact the setlists have finally changed. 

Reviews are just calling the show as they see it, without that interest. 

Yep. The standard was set VERY low in the last couple of years. It's just how it is.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

54 minutes ago, Lio said:

That's too bad. Same as Belgium then. Very odd that now the forum seems positive, the reviews seem worse than ever. I often thought in the past the press was quite mild, while the forum was very harsh. Now it seems to be the other way around.

Were you at the show?

No I couldn't make it. But heard a few YT videos of NR, SCOM, WTTJ and ISE and they sounded more or less like the past 4-5 years...

4 hours ago, BucketEgg said:

attempted transcript of Axl's desk story.

It's a little like a slippery slide up here, trying to make the most of it.

You know, as a kid, I was in fourth or fifth grade. I climbed up on my desk, teacher wasn't in the room, but i forgot about the back door of the classroom. and I got up on my desk, and I went
"My name is Chubby Checker! I did a little thing called the Twist!"
Right there, Mr Macintosh grabbed me by the back of the neck.
WHAM!
And I got a (pedalling)?
So, that set my attitude for life.

(Live and let die plays.)

Yep. Good ol' Mr Macintosh. Motherfucker.

(guitar playing)

What is that, something like a 40-something year grudge?

(Chinese democracy starts playing)

Thanks @BucketEgg   for figuring out.  Was interested in this story very much. 😊  I love that he's talking again. 

There's something different in Slash's guitar tone. Don't know if it's coming from the pedalboard or it's something in the mix.

At first, i thought it was something related to the recording device used in the video, but i've watched videos from others sources (and other shows) and i have the same feeling that something is different from previous tours.

2 hours ago, ChrisMaciel said:

There's something different in Slash's guitar tone. Don't know if it's coming from the pedalboard or it's something in the mix.

At first, i thought it was something related to the recording device used in the video, but i've watched videos from others sources (and other shows) and i have the same feeling that something is different from previous tours.

I always liked his UYI tour tone best, it was the most iconic and very bad ass.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ChrisMaciel said:

I think they have a new sound guy this time. Before this year it sounded like there was some weird EQ being applied to his guitar in the mix, like they were trying to make it less bright and aggressive sounding. Now it sounds more like it usually does.

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

I think they have a new sound guy this time. Before this year it sounded like there was some weird EQ being applied to his guitar in the mix, like they were trying to make it less bright and aggressive sounding. Now it sounds more like it usually does.

It does sound better, but I thought it already sounded good last year.

15 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

It does sound better, but I thought it already sounded good last year.

The sound was fantastic last year compared to when I was at a 2018 show. If I remember correctly, the biggest difference seemed to be the loudness in general. In 2018 the opening bands were at a fairly comfortable volume, but when GN'R came on everything got beefed up to the point that it was difficult to sometimes make anything out. Last year however everything was perfectly clear and I could hear all the different elements and instrumentation. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JasmineSwe said:

So, a couple of days later I got over the fangirling and can write a review of the actual show with the setlist to refresh my memory. 

Axl absolutely killed the high notes in the outro of ISE! Axl was loud in the mix most of the time, sometimes the sound guy seemed to have fallen asleep on a button, for example during Anything Goes where you hardly could hear Axl's first lines. Backing vocals were also loud in the mix, especially Melissa's. Her higher harmonies sounded great. Didn't pay too much attention to the drums, but I did notice the tempo swayed a few times, especially during slow songs like Estranged and Patience. 

Coma was a surprise as I didn't think they'd play it at a festival (after not having played it on previous shows this tour), but I was super happy. Axl did struggle with parts of it, but he totally nailed the "what the fuck is going on"-scream and also the very ending ("survive").

As expected, everything in Axl's lower register sounded great (Down on the farm, Absurd, PTU etc)

The crowd was very responsive most of the show. What was a bit strange was Prostitute as the first song of the encore. The crowd was pumped up for the encore, and when this came on the energy immediately went down. Don't Cry would have been a better option. The fact that Axl struggled a lot with the vocals didn't make it better. All seemed to be forgotten as soon as Patience and PC were played though. 

The overall energy of the band was high, they really seemed to enjoy it. Axl's in between songs talks were funny, he was smiling a lot and the crowd seemed to appreciate it. 

Great review. Agreed that don't cry is a much better option in the encore than prostitute. I don't think the song is as good live as it is on the record.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Great review. Agreed that don't cry is a much better option in the encore than prostitute. I don't think the song is as good live as it is on the record.

because he sings it with his nose.

more seriously he could drop a half tone or a tone and it would sound much better

• GNFNR 1

28 minutes ago, Kelmi said:

Only wish that it would have been a bit calmer where I was and not such a strugle for first half of the show. Dont get me wrong I enjoyed all of it and was jumping and singing as well.. but I prefer to watch the show and know that I dont need to watch over my back constanly because of constant crowd surfers coming over my head!

Yeah, those fucking crowdsurfers ruined some songs completely. I was by the rail and had to look over my shoulder and at the security guards frequently. As one passed over me I think the other people around me dropped him, of course I couldn't hold him up by myself and he fell right on my head. That caused my nose and front teeth to smash against the rail, I was so fucking lucky I only got a minor injury on my nose and my teeth didn't break

Edited by JasmineSwe
  • Like 1
  • Wow 3

2 hours ago, Kelmi said:

People were wondering why I didnt remember Mr Brownstone being played.. well! 

I had an early 5am wakeup and drove to the airport. Catched flight from Finland to Copenhagen and arrived as early as 8am there. Took my backpag to my hostel and proceeded to rent a bicycle. Enjoyed the trip cycling from the centrum to the festival arena.. what a lovely city and the weather was perfect!

First went to see Mammoth and got easily in front of Frank Sidoris to watch him play. Their songs were really good and band was tight. Almost catched one of the many plectrums he threw to the crowd.

From there on the "festival feeling" took over and proceeded to order some Tuborg beer and enjoyed more bands sitting on the hill. Billy Gibbons was rocking, Ghost was amazing. The breezing rain that started at that time didnt bother because the general athmospre and shows were great.

One hour before showtime I ordered 2 beers and went to see if I would get close to the stage. Managed to just walk to row 5 in front of Slashs talkbox setup. One hour pass by quickly chatting to fellow fans and sipping Tuborg.

Band came on and crowd felt exploding! It was rough place to watch the show! :DI felt squeezed tight and there was a lot of pushing, jumping and crowd surfers that were coming over the crowd headed towards the back of my head! It felt like a survival for many of the rocking songs.. like WTTJ was crazy. Also Brownstone. About half way the show it settled down a bit and I was able to enjoy the show 100%. At that point I had been pushed to row 2. It was truly amazing to be in the front.. not a single time did I need to watch the screens. Everything was happening in front of my eyes and saw Slash react to the crowd in a way i hadnt before (between songs etc making funny faces and smiling etc)

Absolutely loved the setlist! I have seen them 8 times after 2016. I counted 7 songs I hadnt heard played at this show. Live and let die as 3rd song... amazing! Coma so early in the show.. mind blown! Prostitute in encore! Bad Obsession, Anything Goes, Farm, Tied up.. rocking!

Couldnt have dreamed this show to be so good! Band sounded great, Axl was on top form. They played for 3 hours 20 minutes.

Only wish that it would have been a bit calmer where I was and not such a strugle for first half of the show. Dont get me wrong I enjoyed all of it and was jumping and singing as well.. but I prefer to watch the show and know that I dont need to watch over my back constanly because of constant crowd surfers coming over my head!

5/5 show for me. Cant wait to watch Glastonbury pro shot if it surfaces to youtube or somewhere easily accesable.

if you go to the front section of a concert, you are not going to have peaceful evening😄 stay 30/40 rows back and you'll have a nice view and less people surfing over you. The front rows are guaranteed for crowd surfing exit points.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JasmineSwe said:

Yeah, those fucking crowdsurfers ruined some songs completely. I was by the rail and had to look over my shoulder and at the security guards frequently. As one passed over me I think the other people around me dropped him, of course I couldn't hold him up by myself and he fell right on my head. That caused my nose and front teeth to smash against the rail, I was so fucking lucky I only got a minor injury on my nose and my teeth didn't break

Wow! Never imagined it of an Scandinavian crowd. Seem more like SA crowd.

Funny, we had lots of crowd surfers too at Graspop, first time for me (at least so many), and I'm always front row or a few rows in. But most came when Alter Bridge was on, it was like a steady stream at some points. I'm happy it wasn't too many during Guns because I hate having to look back all the time making sure there wasn't a boot in your face. I just want to enjoy the show in peace :lol:

• Like 3

Crowdsurfers are the least of the problem. What I do mind is the smartphone maniacs. You can't see shit. In fact, standing in the mosh pit has lost all purpose now. 

I get taking a picture or two. And yes, I'm glad that someone's broadcasting for us here. But all these people... they're not gonna watch it anyway. The sound will be shitty. They often cut their recording in the song finale, i.e. in the best moment. They record in portrait mode. Etc. It's horrible these days, and no, I'm not a boomer. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, t-p-d-a said:

You mess up your concert experience. You just stare through the screen the whole time. To this day it is still a great experience to enjoy the concert with your own eyes without paying attention to films and battery status. You will NEVER forget intense moments in your life. You don't need videos. I don't have a video where I saw Axl live for the first time or no video where I just witness the premiered Slither with Axl on vocals, for me a little piece of music history. Still, I remember it very, very well. I can still hear Axl singing with a top voice for ACDC. His rasp went straight into my body. It really vibrated. No video in the world can trigger such a feeling. You don't miss anything thanks to your brain. Even the first stages of dementia can't destroy these memories.

Exactly!

• Like 1