Perhaps - August 18. UPDATE IV: A New Hope (Radio Premiere Tomorrow?)

17 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

It's to be expected. GNR is little more than a legacy act in the eyes of most people.

I mean it’s hard not to be seen that way when you hardly ever release music. Even when they have recently, it’s always accurately prefaced in the media as being an old “CD era” song. Probably makes most people not care that much as it comes across as a half ass effort as that era was 15-20ish years ago at this point. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TiedHands said:

Really? That is insanely clear to me that it's Brian May playing on that original demo. His guitar sound is unmistakable to me. Its sooooo something he would play. I might be imagining it but I was thinking he had confirmed that it was him playing on there. I remember the very first time I listened to it, I was like "that's one of the Brian May songs!!"

People ran with that theory when it leaked because the mix date is the same as Atlas and Catcher, and it kinda sounds like something Brian would play, but it sounds closer to Robin's playing on The Blues imo. And Tommy confirmed that Rhiad was the 3rd song Brian played on.

2 minutes ago, TiedHands said:

Really? That is insanely clear to me that it's Brian May playing on that original demo. His guitar sound is unmistakable to me. Its sooooo something he would play. I might be imagining it but I was thinking he had confirmed that it was him playing on there. I remember the very first time I listened to it, I was like "that's one of the Brian May songs!!"

it's most likely really Robin, not Brian.

and yes, the new Slash "solo" is one of the worst abominations he ever made, it just sucks hard.

the rest of the song sounds fine - better drums, fatter bass, stronger vox...

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, NachoLZ said:

Anyone else waiting for the official release go to hear it? 

Never listened to the demos. So it is a first time for me so I hope I will like it.

7 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

It's a typical CD era song.  Quite boring and plods along with piano and no real interesting guitar parts. 

Robins original solo started off quite nicely but failed to go anywhere. 

Slash starts off pretty much the same but in a lower octave and then gives a better ending. 

Neither solo is particularly great but it's a song that doesn't really lend itself to an epic solo and can't really be saved.

This band could really do with having a strong manager to just tell them it's boring and write something fresh.

I hope you are wrong about the boring part lol. I am not a fan of CD songs at all no matter how hard I try.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TiedHands said:

For me the thing to really debunk the rumor would be the missing of his signature Red Special lead tone during the Perhaps solo, I can hear it on Atlas and Catcher but on Perhaps there are some lyrical lines being played but not with the tone and vibrato I would attribute to Brian

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2

Perhaps doesn't sound like Brian May to me at all. 

But with Axls style of recording, it's hard to be certain what you are listening to. There could be a lot of copy and paste going on. 

It wouldn't surprise me If guitarists listened to the finished product and didn't remember playing that solo at all.

11 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

For me the thing to really debunk the rumor would be the missing of his signature Red Special lead tone during the Perhaps solo, I can hear it on Atlas and Catcher but on Perhaps there are some lyrical lines being played but not with the tone and vibrato I would attribute to Brian

Haha, this is wild to me. You seem to know a little bit about guitar. I hear Brian's tone and phrasing in that original version, painfully obvious to me. Listen to it and listen to his Catcher solo and it sounds identical to me. The tone is unmistakable to me. Like, I would literally bet my life on it lol.

Slash has definitely lost his way with the guitar. I haven’t been impressed with much of his work recently. I think the Hard Skool solo was decent. His last few albums, along with the Perhaps solo, have shown a steep decline from the legendary guitarist who once was.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Slash has definitely lost his way with the guitar. I haven’t been impressed with much of his work recently. I think the Hard Skool solo was decent. His last few albums, along with the Perhaps solo, have shown a steep decline from the legendary guitarist who once was.

I wouldn't go this far, but I understand where you're coming from. It's so strange to me. What has happened to him?

10 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Not really.  His last 2 solo albums still had plenty of excellent guitars, granted they were rushed due to Guns commitments. 

I'm sure his solo album next year will be really good. 

He quit Guns in the 90s because he didn't like the musical direction along with other reasons. I doubt he's too inspired with not writing new material and just been asked to slap a solo on a 20 yr old song that didn't make the cut for CD. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

Not really.  His last 2 solo albums still had plenty of excellent guitars, granted they were rushed due to Guns commitments. 

I'm sure his solo album next year will be really good. 

He quit Guns in the 90s because he didn't like the musical direction along with other reasons. I doubt he's too inspired with not writing new material and just been asked to slap a solo on a 20 yr old song that didn't make the cut for CD. 

We're assuming he even needed to record the CD stuff, which I very much doubt. I don't think saying he phoned it in on purpose is the glowing endorsement some on here seem to think it is, either.

4 hours ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

Let me tell you about my weekend.

I only visit these forums when the band is touring, as those are the only times I anticipate news about any potential new music. I’m pretty pessimistic about this band. As a result, I’ve been on this board more frequently and have been contributing to the conversations more often than usual.

My girlfriend is a bit younger than me, in her late 20s. Like most younger people, she doesn’t give a fuck about Guns N’ Roses. She hardly knows who they are. She knows Sweet Child O’ Mine from Guitar Hero but wouldn’t be able to tell you who sang it before she met me.

She gets annoyed when we’re watching something on TV together and she looks over and I’m typing away at my phone, debating some internet stranger over the merits of an unreleased song by a band that hasn’t been relevant since around the time she was born.

Her: What are you debating anyway?

Me: (explains a brief history of the band, their place in rock history, the Chinese Democracy saga, the reunion, and all the mishaps in between).

Her: So you’re arguing with people over whether or not a band is going to release a song, a song that you’re excited about but *don’t even like*?!

Her tone cut me down to size immediately. I felt silly and stupid. I spend so much time here typing these silly little posts, all for a band that’s not going to release anything this weekend anyway.

So I put my phone down on Friday night and didn’t touch it again until just now. And apparently Perhaps has been available at local weekends on TouchTunes jukeboxes.

I live in O’Donnell Square in Baltimore. I am quite literally surrounded by bars. There are 10 bars within 30 yards of my house in any direction. Most of them have TouchTunes.

I’m now in flip flops and basketball shorts walking to a local bar to order a beer and see if this song actually sucks, or if perhaps I was wrong.

Also - I think this is the first time I’m realizing that many of you aren’t in the US?

Is this a UK-heavy GnR forum? I was surprised how many of you have no idea what TouchTunes is. They’re all over the US.

Jesus Christ.

Flip flops? Really?

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, TiedHands said:

Haha, this is wild to me. You seem to know a little bit about guitar. I hear Brian's tone and phrasing in that original version, painfully obvious to me. Listen to it and listen to his Catcher solo and it sounds identical to me. The tone is unmistakable to me. Like, I would literally bet my life on it lol.

It definitely can be interesting how different people can interpret sounds in different ways!  Which of course I never wanted that previous post of mine to sound know-it-ally or anything like that lol, I think that especially in Guns N' Roses fandom little rumors or things that fans can say can quickly be repeated by folks and it becomes fact very easily

That said, I can hear definitely some stylistic similarities, like definitely some note choices especially in the beginning part not outside of what Brian may pick note-wise on these types of tunes!

Is it just a recording of a jukebox playing out loud that we have? Nobody able to rip the audio directly from the tunes thing or something?

Anyway, I’ve heard the jukebox recording. I like Axl’s vocals and lyrics but what is that Slash solo 👀 Could have had a soulful face melter on this one, building up to something epic, instead it sounds unfinished and not like Slash ☹️ 

26 minutes ago, Jwalker19 said:

I wouldn't go this far, but I understand where you're coming from. It's so strange to me. What has happened to him?

It’s bizarre. I even feel like his tone is nowhere near what it used to be and a lot of his solos (SOD and Dead Horse come to my mind) are noodle fests. I think it’s been a decline on the level of Axl circa 2011-2014, but no one ever talks about it.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jwalker19 said:

It seems like some fans are absolutely convinced that Axl recorded new vocals. I could totally see this just being different vocal takes from back in the day.

It's better mixed too. There's no new vocals on this. Maybe some parts in the chorus were added, the lower parts, but that was probably over 15 years ago. 

Brian May played on 3 songs when he worked with Axl at the tail end of ‘99/early 2000.

Catcher in the Rye and Atlas Shrugged. We only found out the third song in the last year or two when Tommy confirmed he played on Riad. The solo on the Perhaps from the Village Sessions is definitely Robin Finck.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, THELINESMAN said:

Is it just a recording of a jukebox playing out loud that we have? Nobody able to rip the audio directly from the tunes thing or something?

You would need to plug something into it to capture the audio data and I doubt that would go unnoticed.

• Like 2