Perhaps - New Guns N' Roses Single - Discussion

10 minutes ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

I don't understand why Slash keeps using such a clean, dry tone. Guns N Roses songs aren't meant to be played with the guitar tone of Keith Richards. His bends don't sustain as a result and it especially ruins songs with long bends like NR, Estranged and such. If he wasn't buried in the mix and had more gain, I might like his solo on Perhaps more.

His modern tone is still really good, but it’s more in the JTM/Super Lead side of things as opposed to the JCM side. I think he’s still using a Silver Jubilee, but he’s very reserved with the gain. I agree he should crank it a bit on some songs like Perhaps! The rhythm verses in Absurd were pretty crunchy, and the little solos in HS have more gain than the Perhaps solo

I was listening to UYI and FUCK, is that the best Slash’s tone ever was

• Like 4

What does everyone thinks of Perhaps' mixing and mastering?

To my ears it's better than Hardskool and Absurd, but still sounds bad. Chinese Democracy sounds way better. At some points of the song my earphones/speakers always get saturated and Axl's vocals are a bit buried in the mix I think.

I still love it though, but it's a bit frustrating that even after 25 years of production they weren't able to release a proper mix.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, bmus1 said:

No CD or cassette is the only reason the Atlas Shrugged rumor has any weight. The 5 new songs would be a solid EP to market.

yeah it's weird. I can get the high res versions for like $3 but still, I'd like a physical copy I can play. getting a record player that won't fuck your record up is a small investment 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

What we lack are quotes from the other guys who got to work with Paul over an extended period, and quotes from Paul himself. Then we can say we got it all. 

If I can remember correctly, there were some information of tensions between Robin and Tommy against Paul.

So maybe he wasnt that innocent as Axl wanted to picture

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beto 22 said:

If I can remember correctly, there were some information of tensions between Robin and Tommy against Paul.

So maybe he wasnt that innocent as Axl wanted to picture

I don't think Axl has tried to paint Paul as innocent. What Axl did was talk about his own motivations for bringing Paul in when Gilby's contract wasn't renewed, and disagree with Slash about this. As for Paul's role in the dynamics of various lineups, I can't remember Axl ever saying much.

As for Tommy and Robin, I think Tommy had Paul in mind when he talked about the challenge of being in a band with someone very inexperienced, but I can't remember anything else (although Tommy has kept talking and I am not update don the most recent interviews). Tommy has been more critical of Buckethead, though.

On 8/30/2023 at 6:47 PM, mystery said:

Weren't they basically a shadow group that worked together? Checks out, Dizzy would also probably have more sympathy for Paul as an outsider coming into this massively successful band.

Right...I forgot all about that. Yep, they were the shadow group. Makes sense that they all got along I suppose.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Beto 22 said:

Paul had tension with Slash and Matt, then at least with Tommy. "Attitude" is the word that kept cropping up.

Tommy, I think, also said something to the effect of some people in the '98 band were doing their first real album (Paul, Robin?). So they were at sea initially and that contributed to the tension with the more experienced players.

14 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Arlett Vereeke said that the reason Matt wasn't part of the reunion was because he is difficult to work with, and mentioned an example from the VR time when Matt would make a lot of fuss over not being featured as much in a music video.

I wonder if Axl would've actually considered firing Frank just to give the spot to Matt, even if his past behavior and attitude were without fault, or to give the spot for any other drummer.

my guess is probably not, so maybe Arlett Vereeke is telling the truth, but even if she is, I think there were at least a couple of reasons for Matt not being a part of the reunion. (he was a problematic dick a lot of the time and the drummer spot wasn't available anyway and Axl wasn't going to fire Frank for being a good employee)

3 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I wonder if Axl would've actually considered firing Frank just to give the spot to Matt, even if his past behavior and attitude were without fault, or to give the spot for any other drummer.

my guess is probably not, so maybe Arlett Vereeke is telling the truth, but even if she is, I think there were at least a couple of reasons for Matt not being a part of the reunion. (he was a problematic dick a lot of the time and the drummer spot wasn't available anyway and Axl wasn't going to fire Frank for being a good employee)

I am sure Arlett is telling the truth about Matt's behavior in Velvet Revolver, but that doesn't mean she is right in that being the reason Matt is not part of the reunion. I think, as you say, a lot has to do with Axl being loyal to guys being loyal to him, and Frank's been loyal.  I agree completely.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

"Oh I like this song....hey hey...."

Guys nevermind all her stats and projections....Perhaps is a hit because the man on the street says what this guy says...

By the way Axl is really starting to figure it out....much stronger verses and he's no longer tackling the whole chorus like we had suggested (need to turn up Duff in those lines though!) Although he still didn't do the last refrain and for some reason fancied doing the crazy line....I think he just likes that line too much!!

"Hey hey..." To Craig's mellow brother....Youuusa

Indoor house knocks the fuck outta the shirty stadium sound, right!?! 

Now he just needs to sing it all like he does in the studio version. Use the falsetto only for the "you're all alone now" lines, and sing the rest with his normal speaking voice.

• Like 1

I think it's weird how this song is not getting that much airplay in radios and the charts numbers seem pretty modest compared to Hard Skool and Absurd, and yet the track is getting a lot more views on YouTube.

11 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

His modern tone is still really good, but it’s more in the JTM/Super Lead side of things as opposed to the JCM side. I think he’s still using a Silver Jubilee, but he’s very reserved with the gain. I agree he should crank it a bit on some songs like Perhaps! The rhythm verses in Absurd were pretty crunchy, and the little solos in HS have more gain than the Perhaps solo

I was listening to UYI and FUCK, is that the best Slash’s tone ever was

I could not agree more with this. I understand why many people droll over his AFD tone, but to me, it was always his UYI (and TSI too!) tone. It was really amazing. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I think it's weird how this song is not getting that much airplay in radios and the charts numbers seem pretty modest compared to Hard Skool and Absurd, and yet the track is getting a lot more views on YouTube.

I could not agree more with this. I understand why many people droll over his AFD tone, but to me, it was always his UYI (and TSI too!) tone. It was really amazing. 

I agree, that was such a great tone.

TSI sounds brillant all the way, but just the super fat lead tone on SIDHY is sooo good.

Maybe a bit too much for certain things, but I would love to see him getting back to that as "home base".

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I am sure Arlett is telling the truth about Matt's behavior in Velvet Revolver, but that doesn't mean she is right in that being the reason Matt is not part of the reunion. I think, as you say, a lot has to do with Axl being loyal to guys being loyal to him, and Frank's been loyal.  I agree completely.

I don't think he was ever considered to be the drummer for the 2016 reunion. Matt's ego and lifestyle might have been considered as a big risk for the reunion to fall apart after a while. I always felt he was more responsable for the demise of Velvet Revolver than Scott. There was a lot of discipline in the early days of VR. They were all sober, helping Scott beat his heroine addiction, getting in great shape,... But it is well documented that he was the first to start doing drugs again as soon as succes came. They all fell off the wagon soon after. His ego seemed to be another big problem. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Master Of Reality said:

I don't think he was ever considered to be the drummer for the 2016 reunion. Matt's ego and lifestyle might have been considered as a big risk for the reunion to fall apart after a while. I always felt he was more responsable for the demise of Velvet Revolver than Scott. There was a lot of discipline in the early days of VR. They were all sober, helping Scott beat his heroine addiction, getting in great shape,... But it is well documented that he was the first to start doing drugs again as soon as succes came. They all fell off the wagon soon after. His ego seemed to be another big problem. 

As far as I'm aware, Slash and Duff haven't worked with Matt in  any meaningful way for 15 years. There's probably a reason for that.

Edited by Mikey Whipwreck
  • Like 1
  • PERHAPS 1

6 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Arlett Vereeke said that the reason Matt wasn't part of the reunion was because he is difficult to work with, and mentioned an example from the VR time when Matt would make a lot of fuss over not being featured as much in a music video.

I mean that’s not surprising, but I’ll always have a little soft spot for Matt in the band even though he can act like he’s more important than he is.

I just watched a recent TWAT and Prostitute with Axl and Slash. A lot of time was wasted, but when it comes down to real…those 2 interacting is GNR imo. They’re dual lead performers and they were in one of the best/coolest rock n roll bands ever. Sucks so much time was wasted  but I hope we get a new album of them collaborating in real time. That’s all I want before it’s over. 

3:12 in this video puts a smile on my face:

Edited by Martin Riggs
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

It's getting more attention on YouTube only because it has a video.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

By the way Axl is really starting to figure it out....much stronger verses and he's no longer tackling the whole chorus like we had suggested (need to turn up Duff in those lines though!) Although he still didn't do the last refrain and for some reason fancied doing the crazy line....I think he just likes that line too much!!

imo it keeps getting worse

• Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1