Perhaps - New Guns N' Roses Single - Discussion

Today i Goolged 'Guns Roses New Album' and hit the News button..

What i got was.. G'N'R to release 'Perhaps 7" Vinyl'. Cool! i thought..

Then i read 'The General' to feature on the B-Side.

For years i have picked up on forum types wanting The General

Today i discover it is nothing more than B-Side material.

Feels kinda sad :(

Edited by star

1 hour ago, star said:

Today i Goolged 'Guns Roses New Album' and hit the News button..

What i got was.. G'N'R to release 'Perhaps 7" Vinyl'. Cool! i thought..

Then i read 'The General' to feature on the B-Side.

For years i have picked up on forum types wanting The General

Today i discover it is nothing more than B-Side material.

Feels kinda sad :(

That's what you get for listening to hardcore obsessives who talk up a song they haven't heard. Same thing happened with Atlas Shrugged, anyone who hasn't learned their lesson from that has only themselves to blame.

But Is Coma A-Side material? It could never have been released as a single. Too long, too weird structurally, too dark. Yet, it resonates extremely with the hardcore fanbase. So who knows why The General was put as B-side, could be for the exact same reasons.

In the end, it is so fucking idiotic to put any expectations on a song you haven't heard. Any song you haven't heard has the exact same chance you will like it or not like it, 50/50, no matter how long it has been "talked about".

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

26 minutes ago, kruelty said:

Rocket Queen was the B-side to Patience. WTTJ was the B-side to SCOM. Civil War was the B-side to YCBM.

I don't think being a B-side is any indication to the song's quality, but I like to remain excited while still keeping expectations in check. My expectation of course being that The General will win the Song of the Year Grammy Award, while also being lauded as the Magnum Opus of all and any western artists! :D

Personally i am not a fan of 'Perhaps'. So far to_date i have avoided any leaks of The General. Fingers crossed, The General has more to offer than Perhaps :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jekylhyde said:

Some people really overthink (or underthink) this B-side thing :facepalm::shrugs:

Yeah for real like every other page someone goes "I can't believe The General is being thought of as a B-side" and its tiring writing the same "its there to help promote the vinyl single for Perhaps as well as to drum up talk before the release of The General" thing over and over again :lol:

• Like 1

What we can say for sure is that the General is very different song to Perhaps - maybe we can say that Perhaps represent the light side of GNR and the General represent the dark side. 

Also hope for a more complete EP or CD before christmas with Atlas shrugged and more, hope some of the rumors turns out to be true

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jekylhyde said:

Some people really overthink (or underthink) this B-side thing :facepalm::shrugs:

Absolutely! 

If anything I'm glad it's a B-side because I've always imagined The General as an epic -  completely unsuited to radio.

I'd be super disappointed if it was just some 3 and a half minute long medium paced radio friendly single.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Moro said:

I don't know about the password, looks like it's sorta offline or something.

Try the Europe/Uk or German store ( uk.gnrmerch.com and de.gnrmerch.com ), I have simulated a purchase and seems they ship to Australia.

Ah cheers 🙏 wish it was like the U2 site, picking up on your location then asking if you want to divert to the UK site. 

14 hours ago, kruelty said:

Rocket Queen was the B-side to Patience. WTTJ was the B-side to SCOM. Civil War was the B-side to YCBM.

I don't think being a B-side is any indication to the song's quality, but I like to remain excited while still keeping expectations in check. My expectation of course being that The General will win the Song of the Year Grammy Award, while also being lauded as the Magnum Opus of all and any western artists! :D

The Masterplan was B-Side to Wonderwall - and Masterplan is likely one of, if not the best song, Noel Gallagher wrote IMO.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Who else noticed a weird vocal effect on or around the "no excuse for my behavior" part in Perhaps?

I also find it odd they morphed his intro "oooooos" into whale sounds, assuming that's what they did.

To me it kind of sounds like pitch correction. Stuck out like a sore thumb first time I listened to it.

7 minutes ago, kruelty said:

To me it kind of sounds like pitch correction. Stuck out like a sore thumb first time I listened to it.

Part of it could be we are used to the Village version. The only weird vocal effect on the Village version, which carried over to the 2023 version is the second he says "...weight upon your shoulders" but 

I think that was more of deliberate compression of sorts, for effect.  

3 hours ago, Nick85 said:

@Fernando said “Perhaps is a great song, The General is a monster.” If that’s their thinking, I can’t see them withholding a digital release to push vinyl sales. It’s absolutely counterproductive.

I think you've misinterpreted his comment thinking "monster" is refering to "greatness", when in reality he's probably (to me: pretty obviously) refering to the song in that way because of what it sounds like. So it doesn't mean it has to be out there everywhere because it's an uber-song like November Rain or whatever. Not in the same way that NR is "a monster" song. Just.. it's a dark song.

We will get it digitally eventually anyways.

1 minute ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I think you've misinterpreted his comment thinking "monster" is refering to "greatness", when in reality he's probably refering to the song in that way because of what it sounds like. So it doesn't mean it has to be out there everywhere because it's an uber-song like November Rain or whatever, just..it's a dark song.

We will get it digitally eventually anyways.

I think Fernando meant it's even greater compared to Perhaps, so I'm guessig he meant he thinks the song is of a high quality.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I think Fernando meant it's even greater compared to Perhaps, so I'm guessig he meant he thinks the song is of a high quality.

If you really look at that description, and about which song in particular in this case, it would be a real, and I mean REAL, coincidence, that the song he's refering to as "monster" because of how good it is, happens to be a heavy, dark, slow grinding metal song possibly about child abuse lyrically. To me it's obvious he's calling it monster because of those things. Just too big a coincidence for me to believe that he would be refering to quality with that description.

4 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

If you really look at that description, and about which song in particular in this case, it would be a real, and I mean REAL, coincidence, that the song he's refering to as "monster" because of how good it is, happens to be a heavy, dark, slow grinding metal song possibly about child abuse lyrically. To me it's obvious he's calling it monster because of those things. Just too big a coincidence for me to believe that he would be refering to quality with that description.

I reckon it's because of the dark subject matter, the overall heaviness of the song and maybe it's length.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

I reckon it's because of the dark subject matter, the overall heaviness of the song and maybe it's length.

Apart from length, yes you've just repeated my post lol. I didn't mention length because some people out here said it can't be longer than 5 minutes due to vinyl time constraints. Not sure about that, I don't have vinyl.