"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

4 hours ago, Uncle Bob said:

What was the reason GN'R didn't release a follow up to Chinese Democracy after 2008 until he left in 2014, with songs like Absurd, Hard School, Perhaps or the upcoming The General? Did the label reject any follow up album plans?

A.X.L.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, bumcheecksmcghee said:

Ask him straight out, did he play on the OG version of the general? (And how long was that version in running time?) An will it be butchered with duff an slash recording over it, like the rest of the recent songs have been.

Yeah I think these are the questions that right now I would be fascinated to ask, especially the latter!

33 minutes ago, bumbleslash69 said:

I've done Tommy meet and greets and Q/As before. I don't mean this as a dig, but he's very much showing his age and lifestyle. I loved seeing him and would go again. But anything Guns related was meant with generic answers or very appreciative/complimentary answers towards Axl and the project as a whole. I've heard he doesn't care for some of the former band members, but he never mentioned that. Couple tour stories and stories about his audition. That was all we got. The way I took it was he talked about Guns like how any other mid-50s guy would talk about a job he had 20 years ago. There weren't a lot of details. Would be awesome to hear him comment more on the intricacies of the recording process and the unreleased material. But again, not to sound like an ass, I don't think he has a ton of insight that people from this forum would find fascinating. 

I get the feeling he'd rather talk politely about that era and move on. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

He told a fan that he wished he could take it back or that he would try to take it back (it wasn't on a interview). That was two or three years ago.

But meanwhile he took it back, as it seems, since he registered it on ASCAP along with another one of his demos from the locker leaks, "10%er".

Oh yeah ok

Not sure how that works though. He might have the writing credits for the song but GnR could still own the publishing rights correct?  I believe he would just get paid if Axl were to use the song.  I don't think theat means he could legally put it out there?  Maybe as a cover lol 

1 hour ago, rumandraisin said:

I get the feeling he'd rather talk politely about that era and move on. 

He still talked about it with enthusiasm and did say, without reservation, he'd still love to be there and would be if his family situation hadn't called for him to leave the band. Like @bumbleslash69 said though, so much of the details we are asking about (studio time, song names, who played on what) is just stuff he genuinely does not remember. The fact of the matter is, his actual studio time with GN'R was probably over in 2006/2007 if not earlier and everything since then was just touring. I probably wouldn't be able to remember those kind of details almost twenty years down the road, particularly when he is involved in multiple projects. I imagine, beyond wanting to live in the moment, he's more excited to talk about new projects since that is what he remembers the most and are most "fresh" in his mind. 

Edited by themadcaplaughs
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Yeah not sure why people assume the day the vinyl starts SHIPPING is the day you get to hear it:lol:

I called this weeks ago and I'm sticking to the theory that The General will be released to Youtube with a full music or lyric video on Halloween, aswell as come out everywhere else digitally like Spotify, Apple music etc. on the 31st.

Are you expecting it to be the sequel to the monster mash or something?

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 2

My bad if I missed it. But was the consensus that this is the General playing in the Hollywood Bowl promo/short/reel? Minus the swooshes, whooshes, and cheering used during scene transitions? There are some military sounding sound effects added on too. They seem to love their sound effects. Sort of checks with Hard Skool's school bell. Reminds me of the old tour intro and Evader's recreation. Plus they seem to only use original GnR songs for most of their promos.

This is definitely the most excited I've been in a long time for any kind of release though. I can't wait to get the record, listen a few times, and then get on with life lol. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bumbleslash69 said:

My bad if I missed it. But was the consensus that this is the General playing in the Hollywood Bowl promo/short/reel? Minus the swooshes, whooshes, and cheering used during scene transitions? There are some military sounding sound effects added on too. They seem to love their sound effects. Sort of checks with Hard Skool's school bell. Reminds me of the old tour intro and Evader's recreation. Plus they seem to only use original GnR songs for most of their promos.

This is definitely the most excited I've been in a long time for any kind of release though. I can't wait to get the record, listen a few times, and then get on with life lol. 

No, it's not

• Like 1