Perhaps Solo: Why?

4 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Some of the people (though not all) insisting it's Fortus seem to be desperate to believe that Slash would not "allow" an ex-member to stay on a new song. Which is absurd for multiple reasons.

I think both Slash and Axl have grown up a lot since the Sympathy for the Devil don’t touch my solo shenanigans 

31 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Some of the people (though not all) insisting it's Fortus seem to be desperate to believe that Slash would not "allow" an ex-member to stay on a new song. Which is absurd for multiple reasons.

Yeah, I'm not one of the ones in that camp. I just think if Robin was on there, he'd be credited, that's all. Fortus played a part in the reworking of the other two, it's not out of the realms of possibility that he did the same here.

As for the point made about Fortus not playing like that last night, does anyone in this band still play as things are on the record? 🤷‍♂️😂

• Like 1

it sounds exactly like Robin is chilling drinking a cup of tea scratching his long beard thinking of the deep mysteries of the universe then suddenly Slash completely stoned and drunk slams the door of the room, take out his dick and piss all over Finck shouting loudly IT SOUNDED LIKE SHIT YOU STUPID MORON then storm off

• Haha 1

I think it’s just an Easter egg for the fans who downloaded the link and for Robin. I got used to it. 

1 hour ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

It’s not Fortus. We would’ve heard Fortus do the bend live, and he didn’t. 

I’m now more inclined to believe it's Robin for this reason. But his tone is a bit different from the demo, possibly re-amped with less gain.

2 hours ago, chester said:

It’s strange but it’s on purpose. I don’t think there is any tension or drama in the band at all I just think Slash has been very dismissive of Robin’s guitar work when playing the CD material live and that this was just Axl’s little wink to Robin (and the hardcore fans). A tip of the hat. 

In Slash's defence, he has a completely different style of playing. I wouldn't expect him to play Robin's solos. 

23 minutes ago, diablo9333 said:

In Slash's defence, he has a completely different style of playing. I wouldn't expect him to play Robin's solos. 

Yeah, I’m not slagging on Slash at all, it’s apparent and he’s said as much, he doesn’t hold Robins playing in high regard (unlike Buckethead). I disagree with him but it is what it is… Like I said I don’t think there is really any animosity or hard feelings. 

I kinda like the nod to Finck. When I heard the cell phone recording of the juke box fiasco thought it sounded super weird. When it debuted on the radio I thought it sounded fine and I actually liked it. C’mon y’all know Axl makes some weird and interesting choices. I mean this is the same dude who did a line of Sorry like count chocula. 

Edited by Arnuld
  • Haha 3

I think a lot of people heard Slash's solo on a terrible quality soundcheck video and thought it sucked. 

But now with the real thing released they release that's it's a cool enough solo. It's a short song with only a tiny solo section anyways. 

And once you add Slash, you get 1M views in a few days so that helps 

2 minutes ago, t-p-d-a said:

remember Sweet Child O' Mine '99 version? Slash plays the first part of the main solo and then Robin Finck plays the second and best part which absolute sounds absurd?

Finck absolutely butchered that solo on that recording.

• Like 3
  • ABSUЯD 1

Another possible reason is they knew it would generate some kind of discussion and that could end up generating nore listens and buzz. Streaming services are very dependent on the snowball effect and, Idk, if the hardcore fans are listening to the song at least 2 times each, it will appear as a trending sugestion to more users. 

6 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

Another possible reason is they knew it would generate some kind of discussion and that could end up generating nore listens and buzz. Streaming services are very dependent on the snowball effect and, Idk, if the hardcore fans are listening to the song at least 2 times each, it will appear as a trending sugestion to more users. 

I doubt this. 99.9% of people will listen to it without giving it any thought, and maybe a few hundred GNR nerds at most are really thinking about it.

5 hours ago, DaneisKing1389 said:

It’s one of the dozens and dozens of questionable decisions Axl has made on recordings since 1999...

I would say this behavior goes back to 1987. He added a synthesizer to Paradise City and the other band members hated it. He did a bunch of goofy stuff on the Illusion albums too. Izzy hated what Axl did to the Illusion songs. Guessing Slash & Duff probably agreed with Izzy on that. 

• GNFNR 1

5 hours ago, Jakey Styley said:

It’s been discussed all over. But it’s honestly so unusual that it deserves its own thread.

Why the fuck did they leave the first two notes of the original solo on and then cheaply merge into Slash’s solo? It sounds like shit, and even if you disagree, you can agree that it’s bizarre.

Was it a mistake? Is it a tongue in cheek joke by Axl knowing that the super fans have heard the old one? Is it a “tip of the hat” to Finck? Is it a gesture of disrespect by Slash?  Why?

Why does it sound 'cheap' - I don't get how that does. it merges into slashes solo. Is it just because you know it is Finck 24 years ago that you think it's cheap? It isn't a mistake, it is 100% completely normal for bands to comp solos this way. All solos are cut and chopped up to find the best 8 bars of solo for the song. Every rock band will do this. 20 takes of a solo, then manufacture the best bits into a single solo. 

1 hour ago, chester said:

he doesn’t hold Robins playing in high regard (unlike Buckethead). I disagree with him but it is what it is… Like I said I don’t think there is really any animosity or hard feelings. 

Jheeze. people take things so literally. He said in better there's a solo which he feels hold no melodic value so he just completely rewrote it. he never ever said he doesnt hold robins playing high regard or doesnt rate him as a guitar player. The way random throwaway things the band don't even realise they are saying get warped into these lifetime opinions and facts by people in this fandom is weird. I genuinely cannot remember what i said to someone in a convo a week ago. slash has done a million interviews and spent 20 years of his life fucked up on drugs and booze. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Slash solo on this song is absolutely underwhelming, basically sliding and bending in the most simplistic and basic manner. It's weird - I love his playing but every time he touches any song not originally written by him in GNR he comes across as doing the bare minimum to get it done. 

Sad to see the Nu-GNR alumni have his work erased like this, even taking into consideration that they got paid handsomely and the same exercise was being made to other parts/takes while anybody was/is in the band. 

• Like 3
  • PERHAPS 1

22 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Jheeze. people take things so literally. He said in better there's a solo which he feels hold no melodic value so he just completely rewrote it. he never ever said he doesnt hold robins playing high regard or doesnt rate him as a guitar player. The way random throwaway things the band don't even realise they are saying get warped into these lifetime opinions and facts by people in this fandom is weird. I genuinely cannot remember what i said to someone in a convo a week ago. slash has done a million interviews and spent 20 years of his life fucked up on drugs and booze. 

Calm down Sally. If you would slow down and read what I wrote, I said I don’t believe there was any ill will at all on Slash’s part, he just clearly doesn’t think much of Robins work on CD… He clearly stated it in regards to how he plays the CD material. I don’t think he thinks less of him as a person or a player… Sometimes you hear something, watch something, read something and it just isn’t to your taste. Nothing more, nothing less. 

1 hour ago, t-p-d-a said:

remember Sweet Child O' Mine '99 version? Slash plays the first part of the main solo and then Robin Finck plays the second and best part which absolute sounds absurd?

Sounded absurd? Not even Ashba could have played it that bad. A terrible time to be a GNR fan.

• GNFNR 1