It’s time for a proper W Axl Rose interview again

I remember watching this back when MTV was relevant and interviews like this were taken for granted.   Just watched it again now (brought me back).  How good would a Kurt Loder / Axl interview be again now (30 years later) be?  Axl never seemed to have any issue with Loder. -  

32 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

It's hard to know what an interviewer would actually talk to him about. 

He's not late anymore. He doesn't start riots. He doesn't hate Slash. He doesn't release much music. 

Did you watch the China Exchange interview/Q&A? That was a really fun watch (in terms of listening to Axl) no new music to discuss but a good insight in to some history, certain views and what the future might hold. I guess an interview regardless of the points you made would be great 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

He's not late anymore. He doesn't start riots. He doesn't hate Slash. He doesn't release much music. 

Axl apparently was quoting some of Rogan's comedy bits when they met, they'd probably talk about comedy and movies for a while. Would love to hear Axl explain more about Rhiad, too.

2 hours ago, prez said:

A real interviewer would ask him about "One in a Million" and the allegations of abusing women, both of which would be career-destroyers these days. He has every reason not to dredge those subjects up.

And if not that, then at least why and when did he change his mind about the whole Slash/reunion thing, why did he really used to be always late, how many songs did they do during the CD sessions, why didn't any video/promotion emerge (or the CD successor), why did Buckethead leave, why did they cancel the remaining 2002 tour dates, what was with his voice in 2002 as compared with 2006, what are they working on now, why all the secrecy etc. etc. I.e. stuff he's been keeping under the lid to such an extent that even the drummer of the actual goddamn band was not allowed to answer a simple question regarding his possible work on one of the singles (SOYL aka "that's a question for the management"). Yeah, I don't think we can expect any real interviews of this sort any time soon. 

Edit: Oh and what was that whole Izzy and "they didn't wanna split the loot equally" thing supposed to mean. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 2

An interview would have to be heavily curated so he is not asked questions he don't want to answer, especially to avoid rocking the boat with Slash and Duff. But then again, he could do something similar to the China Exchange where he seemed willing to get all kinds of questions. So who knows. I mean, he could always say, "No comment" to questions he doesn't want to answer. 

• Like 2

On 8/31/2023 at 5:54 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

Axl apparently was quoting some of Rogan's comedy bits when they met, they'd probably talk about comedy and movies for a while. Would love to hear Axl explain more about Rhiad, too.

I think Axl was into Kickboxing as well in the mid 00’s. That would get them into that period in his life. The main thing a good interview with Axl would do is introduce a lot of people to who he is now, and some of the things he overcame to get to that point in his life. The younger generation really doesn’t know who Axl is. I feel like most people would be surprised to find out he isn’t a drug addict that’s lost his mind. He’s had a pretty crazy life. Would be worth listening to him discuss the ups and downs in retrospect. 

• Like 1

On 8/31/2023 at 12:35 PM, jacdaniel said:

This is why I no longer expect some sort of in depth Axl interview and we're unlikely to ever get one.

He's not going to go into great detail on new GNR/Chinese, the breakup of the old band, his past relationships, how the reunion came together, etc so what's the point?

The ship has sailed on that stuff.

Those Axl chats are the closest we'll ever get to something like this.

A new Axl interview would be so boring and lame. He will never go into detail about any of the topics we'd want him to. I think we'll all go to our graves never knowing the truth behind everything that went down in the mid-late 90s re:GnR and then everything that went down regarding ChiDem in the 2000s. 

11 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I know people here dislike him, but I think an interview with Rick Beato would be cool. Not only he would focus on the music, not on the drama, but also it would be a long interview possibly with unheard details about Axl's creativity process.

Yeah that would be a cool interview, and I agree, Rick being a internet personality based on musicians talking to other musicians would also circumvent the trappings that come with clickbaity journalists asking meaningless questions

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1