Greatest Nu-Guns Moment

2 hours ago, ©GnrPersia said:

Was it the night when Axl had revealed the CD cover art? If yes, was it exactly the same artwork?

I think the CD artwork reveal might've been summer 2002 just before the VMA performance. Someone more knowledgeable probably has the exact date. Pretty sure it was described as the same bike with the band's name written on the wall.

Edited by mystery

1 hour ago, mystery said:

I think the CD artwork reveal might've been summer 2002 just before the VMA performance. Someone more knowledgeable probably has the exact date. Pretty sure it was described as the same bike with the band's name written on the wall.

You are absolutely correct. That was Hong Kong 2002. The very first 2002 show.

Regarding the new year's eve shows, apparently the second Vegas show had the best OMG performance ever:

"Axl hitting all his vocals and both lead guitarists shredding every note! One of the night’s highlights was a flawless performance of ‘Oh My God’ – something that hadn’t been pulled off in the band’s previous three gigs" Source: GnrOnTour

57 minutes ago, ©GnrPersia said:

You are absolutely correct. That was Hong Kong 2002. The very first 2002 show.

Is there any footage of the artwork reveal, have had a brief search but can’t seem to find anything. Would be great to see the reveal and crowd reaction

1 hour ago, uzi your illusion said:

What's this a reference to?

When Axl tried to cancel the tour. "To aviod..."

In all seriousness though, I loved that era where it felt like "our" band. Meeting fans felt different back then. I'd say one of my favorite moments was the Axl chats. Wish he would do that again.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mystery said:

You got to see the holy grail of concerts where all we got are cool pictures, the last performance of Oh My God, and the last performance of Silkworms for almost 20 years until it became Absurd in summer 2021.

I did. It was my first GNR concert. I had been a fan since the late 80s but was way too young to see them in the early 90s. When they hit the stage and ripped into Jungle it was in the top 5 of the most excited I have ever been in my life. 

7 hours ago, ©GnrPersia said:

Was it the night when Axl had revealed the CD cover art? If yes, was it exactly the same artwork?

I think that was night 2. I was at night one. But it was so long ago I can’t say for sure. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/2/2023 at 4:24 PM, ©GnrPersia said:

Well I can't really comment positive on Ashba era (except maybe 2009-2010) but full respect for 2001-2006 band.

Had everything go as planned, this band could get massive. I would say, even outperforming the old band.

It's kind of a comedy to see the same exact people who strongly reject or make fun of Nu Guns idea, are getting excited about new singles. Songs that are essentially the works of Robin Finck, Tommy, Buckethead and Brain/Josh. It is very disturbing to hear Slash's half assed solos over these works.

dude for real, when i was lurking in HTGTH and this forum back in the day, people were trashing robins way of playing solo for old songs, it was nuts the hate he got. now people praise slash when he butcher TIL every night lol. i even like the robins version of hard skool

• Like 2

15 hours ago, KrazyBee129 said:

dude for real, when i was lurking in HTGTH and this forum back in the day, people were trashing robins way of playing solo for old songs, it was nuts the hate he got. now people praise slash when he butcher TIL every night lol. i even like the robins version of hard skool

There are kids on YouTube better than both. Haters will hate 🤷🏻‍♂️

I really loved Robin’s playing because of how different it was. He wasn’t like Dj trying to sound Slash 

Edited by Appetitefordiscussion
  • Like 1

On 9/2/2023 at 10:24 PM, ©GnrPersia said:

Well I can't really comment positive on Ashba era (except maybe 2009-2010) but full respect for 2001-2006 band.

Had everything go as planned, this band could get massive. I would say, even outperforming the old band.

It's kind of a comedy to see the same exact people who strongly reject or make fun of Nu Guns idea, are getting excited about new singles. Songs that are essentially the works of Robin Finck, Tommy, Buckethead and Brain/Josh. It is very disturbing to hear Slash's half assed solos over these works.

People like you just don't get that the guitar playing is a game changer when listening to GNR. It was always about Axl and Slash basically and if you change this formular it just isn't the same. It's ok to some, others might even prefer it, but it's a different kind of thing and it's more than reasonable that some people, me included, are excited about the new tracks because it's a chance to have something of this magic back. Unfortunately it doesn't work as good with songs from the Nu Guns era. I still prefer what Slash did to the new releases over what I heard from Finck, Bumble etc. but it's not near the same level as it once was. It could have been by writing completely new songs but we've got no choice. It's sink or swim.

• Like 2

On 9/4/2023 at 12:18 AM, Sosso said:

Well, I have to agree with him somehow. He worked with Axl on new material and he probably wanted to play it live. Slash and Duff returned and "plans changed" (like always, lol)

But it's not like it was Slash's or Duff's fault. He most likely would still wait to play new music. I can't imagine there's anybody out there missing his contributions. I'm glad he's out.

• 2 weeks later...

Rock in Rio 2001.  MTV 2002-I still love it-I know people hated it-also seeing them in 2002 in Detroit, my first GNR concert. 2002 was just such a magical time for me with the band-I had so much hope they were going to put out multiple albums lol. No regrets. The journey of Chinese Democracy was so much fun. And frustrating lol

• Like 2

1. Rock In Rio III

2. Appetite For Democracy bd

The first came with lots of fanfare, and a killer review from Loder in Rolling Stone. The second debuted #1 on the Billboard Video Music Chart, and even won a 3D Music Entertainment Feature Award. Not that those are particularly huge milestones relative to the Classic Era's legacy- but they at least connotated some level of success/acceptance.