THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

17 hours ago, bumcheecksmcghee said:

You need to do your homework then lol...

01/01/01 show, silkworms, finck is on the stage playing "absurd turd" ...

Village leaks.... cough cough...?? 

🤦🙋🤔😆

Read the post I was replying to.

Robin and Buckethead have nothing to do with these drip-fed officially released singles 

If you think these songs are shit, blame the people who composed them and played on the versions that got released. Not the people who played on a 25 year old demo that was completely reworked. 

6 hours ago, oneway23 said:

It's kind of weak for people to constantly use the "mullethead AfD crowd who just doesn't get it" deflection to defend these songs. 

There may actually be folks out there who simply don't enjoy 'em!

sure. but they wear mullets.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, DTV88 said:

I find it sad that the same couple of posters feel the need to moderate peoples opinions here, all day every day.

And calling anyone that misses the magic that was Guns N Roses a mullet head is just childish. 

In my opinion, The General feels like an unfinished idea of a potentially great song. The laziness of repeating the same verses is excused by some as an artistic choice but I see it as another reason why this song wasn’t on CD. It’s just not that good. Thankfully we also got the far superior Monsters, I absolutely love that song!

It’s actually really sad to see people calling one of the greatest albums of all time generic blues based rock and cock rock etc. 

I often wonder if Metallica fans call Master of Puppets or Ride the Lightning generic thrash metal… 

• Like 3

I don't dislike the song.  I also don't love the song.  The General feels incomplete.  It has some cool riffs, guitar and vocal parts.  Starts strong, has an intriguing middle but really lacks in the climax.  I don't know if it's because it doesn't have the bombastic vocals popular in many CD era songs or a strong solo.  The song just seems to end.

17 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

It’s actually really sad to see people calling one of the greatest albums of all time generic blues based rock and cock rock etc. 

I often wonder if Metallica fans call Master of Puppets or Ride the Lightning generic thrash metal… 

in reality, there may be 3 people that think CD is better than AFD.  And 2 of them never heard of GnR till they heard Better  🤣

Edited by fabrph5
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

I'm finding it difficult to critically process "The General" and be pragmatic about it's merits and flaws...

Why?

For many reasons -I think it's a small miracle we have this song in our collection now and it sits on Guns official channels. It does show that the Axl we've commented on and deduced from the last year or so, is an Axl in quite an obviously different mental state and place than perhaps forever. His entire demeanor has shifted/altered, or rather gone back to the more confident times but with a new twist of modesty and gratitude. He total showed up Slash and Duff and the rest (whom normally are known as quite fan friendly) over the years worth of touring, he stopped many more times to talk with fans, sign shit and take a pouty photo or two...he even looked genuinely moved at a woman saying they named their son, Axl, after him and went in for hugs to name a few examples. His stage presence is at an older age peak, his movement was noticeably less ridged and telegraphed this year...Yes he was in better shape but he seemed more at ease and chill with himself and his position, which came through in his stage chats and banter which has been minimal 2016-22 until this year...

My point to this is....without his current mentality and mindset, I really don't think General gets released otherwise. Listening to it time and time again, reading the lyrics...WOW, it's such difficult and touchy subject and ultimately something, perhaps more than anything he's actually written, really close to the bone. It's obvious this part of his formative years has gone to shape the majority of his life (I'm sure if we get his book it will feature heavily, he often said when crazy shit happened, he had reasons...and one day he'd tell us, why this behaviour)..how he didn't easily trust folk and how loyality became THEE most important thing for Axl, it's quite clear, how his errors and mistakes have occured, manifesting from his own experiences and misfortune of having an abusive dick in the household. Clearly this fucked him up for longer than he'd care to admit...not one to regret, but he regrets "not taking the time to forget" (move forward with help)

Knowing how sensitive he is, firing Go to allow the world to hear THIS? Something that perhaps was more therapy for him to write and record, more than a song he planned at the time for us ...Is the real headline here...

Of course I understand our endless debates about the clipping, about our mismanaged expectations of what the song was, about our hyperbole, about everything really...we all do it. We've had 15+ years...but I can't do it now... just can't objectively criticise a piece, that is about such a personal thing...it kinda doesn't matter, its flaws may only add to what the whole picture is anyway...

I genuinely think it's a small miracle this is out and he gave the ok...

and in it's own little way, that's the biggest statement and takeaway from it all....

Very good post!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/11/2023 at 6:29 AM, bangit said:

I'm going for 6 out of 10. It's a decent song, nothing special though and clearly a little experimental which is cool. It's as good as many CD songs but not a stand out. If it was on an album, it would be one of those songs you listen to occasionally like Shacklers or Scraped. 

The casual GNR fan will probably horrified that it isn't a UYI style classic. Oh well. Plenty of forgettable songs on those albums!!! #shotgunblues

Its all opinion. I would personally place shotgunblues above the general, scraped, riad, absurd. And I consider CD more forgettable than UYI. 

• Like 1

Does anybody remember exactly where the idea that The General was about child abuse came from? I know Axl said there was song about child abuse in the interview he did around Rio 2001, but he didn't specifically mention The General by name. To my memory, nobody officially ever connected to the band suggested The General was that song. I feel like the rumors about that predate what people (thought they) heard on the cellphone leak in 2018. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

People just don’t like the songs. Probably because there’s no real guitar riffs, hooks, classic solos etc

Excuse me? “This I Love” and “There was a Time” feature great solos. “Better” not only has a good solo, but some riffing too. You’re just saying things right now. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lelex95 said:

Rockers, ballads and acoustics are formats of songs punk is a genre. I don’t mean to be an ass, what I’m saying is that a rock band that plays rockers, ballads and acoustics isn’t much of a variety. 
Afd had some punk influences but you can’t really count that as them playing punk really.

That's really not a meaningful distinction. For one thing, variety is variety. An album with all fast rockers and no ballad is lacking variety compared to one with a ballad, an acoustic song, etc.

But really, genres grow out of different song styles. Before doom metal existed, Black Sabbath just down tuned their guitars and played slow, heavy music. That was just a new format of rock/metal. But it eventually became a genre of its own. IMO, as every slight difference is being called its own genre, they're just becoming a way for people to limit their creativity. You see it most acutely in metal. There are so many genres and sub-genres that are so narrowly defined that every band within it sounds the same.

All of that is to say, it's subjective.

2 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

I'm not particularly a Metallica fan, but Kill Em All was definitely generic thrash metal. Apparently Burton had to teach the others basic music theory for Ride the Lightning, and the lack of it prior to that shows.

11 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Does anybody remember exactly where the idea that The General was about child abuse came from? I know Axl said there was song about child abuse in the interview he did around Rio 2001, but he didn't specifically mention The General by name. To my memory, nobody officially ever connected to the band suggested The General was that song. I feel like the rumors about that predate what people (thought they) heard on the cellphone leak in 2018. 

Evaders lyrics

18 minutes ago, BillConnor_1982 said:

Does anyone know if the 7” sounds better?  I know it’s obviously the same mix but maybe there’s less compression for the vinyl mastering than the digital version

I have the vinyl and it's better....bass gets a good boost IMO 

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 2