THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

12 hours ago, DSTK said:

I like the song a lot, but definitely agree about how it ends...it just dies 

It should have had a big ending, or just something better

We've almost 250 pages to a song that basically only 10 people like  🤣 

I still think it's by far the worst song they put out, ever. I don't ever wanna hear it again. XD

Edited by El Guapo
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

I still think it's by far the worst song they put out, ever. I don't ever wanna hear it again. XD

You'll hear it at every gig in the future whenever they play again 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, DSTK said:

You'll hear it at every gig in the future whenever they play again 

I got it at a show and it was pretty cool for me for the novelty (as a long- time forum nerd), but it definitely should not stay in the set imo. Bring on Monsters and play the hell out of that imo

• Like 1

I like The General. Is it a disappointment after all the mystery surrounding it and the expectations set by Sebastian? Certainly. Is there stuff I hate in it? Hell yes: the "sitar" effect sucks, the bass line in the intro is one of the most uninspired I’ve ever seen and the final solo is buried by Axl’s vocals. But other than that, it’s ok, I guess. Better than Hard Skool and Absurd, that’s for sure.

27 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

I like The General. Is it a disappointment after all the mystery surrounding it and the expectations set by Sebastian? Certainly. Is there stuff I hate in it? Hell yes: the "sitar" effect sucks, the bass line in the intro is one of the most uninspired I’ve ever seen and the final solo is buried by Axl’s vocals. But other than that, it’s ok, I guess. Better than Hard Skool and Absurd, that’s for sure.

I'd put The General in the same tier as Absurd and HS - the production sucks, it's repetitive, soaked in effects... it obviously didn't (and couldn't) live up to the hype. The General had more 'potential to be great' than the other singles, but it ended up sounding unfinished.

Perhaps is the best single they've released so far, but Monsters is by far the best re-recorded song we've heard. It actually did live up to the hype. The fact they're sitting on songs like Monsters and have songs like SOG in the vault, but they're releasing these weaker songs, is ridiculous.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I got it at a show and it was pretty cool for me for the novelty (as a long- time forum nerd), but it definitely should not stay in the set imo. Bring on Monsters and play the hell out of that imo

Monsters should be in for sure, but I bet you the general stays in

Wow that’s great. I think if that was what the final version was like, the complaints would be more negative towards vocals than the whole song, if anything. That intro really helps you appreciate the instrumental. When the full band kicks in, it’s 😍😍😍

• GNFNR 1

17 hours ago, axljungle said:

I love this, great intro:

The first 55 seconds are unnecessary, but some orchestration leading into a heavy intro would've been cool. I like the intro they used in 2006-10 for shows, but a long intro with lots of pauses would be awkward. CD, Rhiad, SOD, etc were all better with shorter intros.

The way the released version suddenly starts/stops, it would be interesting to know how it originally fit into the CD2 track list.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, axljungle said:

I love this, great intro:

This is great work but man I would hate listening to that intro every time.  It's one of those things that's cool to hear once or twice but every time I listen to the song?  It's too much

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The first 55 seconds are unnecessary, but some orchestration leading into a heavy intro would've been cool. I like the intro they used in 2006-10 for shows, but a long intro with lots of pauses would be awkward. CD, Rhiad, SOD, etc were all better with shorter intros.

The way the released version suddenly starts/stops, it would be interesting to know how it originally fit into the CD2 track list.

I agree, some orchestration before the heavy intro would fits well.

3 hours ago, WAR™ said:

anyone knows where I can find a clean intro/orchestration? I can't find it anywere 

I'd love just the orchestra part as a bonus track, it's just such a cool sinister piece of music. In one if the threads when The Gen leaked someone did post a concert intro from 2010 and one from 2006, was it Greece 2006 I think. Either way both were very clean sounding with little audience sound and are probably the closest we'll get. 

It was the thread where it was shown that the strings from Monsters were used occasionally as the show intro. 

32 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

I'd love just the orchestra part as a bonus track, it's just such a cool sinister piece of music. In one if the threads when The Gen leaked someone did post a concert intro from 2010 and one from 2006, was it Greece 2006 I think. Either way both were very clean sounding with little audience sound and are probably the closest we'll get. 

It was the thread where it was shown that the strings from Monsters were used occasionally as the show intro. 

might have been me

https://mega.nz/file/hW8USBIA#0_gSBLpL8ALypvATn-VuR96oDxEOigJRZcHbZ_7VZt4

4 hours ago, siraddam said:

How did this song do in the charts? I can't find much info online. Did it get in the top 10 anywhere? 

I dont think it did anything on any chart, but also think the band not pushed the release at all because its in fact a deeper cut with lesser general appreciation. I love that we finally got it, but it has no commercial appeal to the general public - Monsters might have or maybe Atlas.

Perhaps with the video being "pushed" did way better and were in some charts, think it peaked in the top 10 of the rock radio charts

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I didn't like this remix. Not saying the official is perfect, but that wasn't an improvement IMO. Intro was too long, thunder noises were also unnecessary (I mean, we already have frogs), and the bridge with Slash's intro pasted before the original bridge also wasn't good. 

3 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

I don’t get why people keep saying stuff like “after all the hype and lore, I can’t believe how disappointing ‘The General’ is.” ‘Cause really, the song we thought was “The General” is actual “Monsters.” And that song is dope as fuck. TBH though, I enjoy both songs. But “Monsters” is obviously more accessible. 

Somewhat revisionist. The General was mythical before Evador, Cell Phone recording, and GNR Twitter commment. But agree about rest.