DUFF MCKAGAN Defends GUNS N' ROSES' Three-And-A-Half-Hour Live Performances: 'What Songs Do You Take Out?'

I love the long shows. I wouldn’t mind it being shorter occasionally but the variety of songs, sometimes they play certain songs (like I think it was Don’t Cry) one night but not the next. They’re out there giving their all and I appreciate the effort. The post-reunion track record for minimal cancellations is great!! Even when they did have to postpone Glasgow or cancel St. Louis it seems that it was done with reluctance. Really seemed bummed out about St. Louis tbh, but imo overall the tour has been really great.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

what songs do you take out, if you wanted to play shorter? 

Wichita Lineman? Black Hole Sun? The Seeker? Walk All Over You? Back In Black? Live And Let Die? KOHD? neverending extended versions of KOHD and RQ?

I know for the last shows it wast just Wichita and oldies like Live and Let Die or KOHD, but for many shows for this whole NITL run, there has been way too many covers and unnecessary boring extended songs.

I wish that time spent for all that stuff would have been dedicated to perform other of their actual songs (or more new songs) or maybe just to rest themselves as even Duff admitted it can be hurtful

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Uncle Bob said:

Wichita Lineman? Black Hole Sun? The Seeker? Walk All Over You? Back In Black? Live And Let Die? KOHD? neverending extended versions of KOHD and RQ?

They haven't played black hole sun and the seeker in a while now. The ACDC songs only a few times. Live and let die is a staple as it's one of the favourites for the general crowd. They could shorten heavens door though or maybe start playing it like in 92 again

Edited by Stay.Of.Execution

2 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

They haven't played black hole sun and the seeker in a while now. The ACDC songs only a few times. Live and let die is a staple as it's one of the favourites for the general crowd. They could shorten heavens door though or maybe start playing it like in 92 again

Yeah, that's what I said, that's why I have said some of the shows from the entire NITL run have had way too many covers.

It saddens me to say I had a very bad experience in the Seville show in 2022. I wasn't even expecting a new song, but the setlist was the most boring one I have ever experienced in any show in general. Solo spots and extended songs felt insufferable. I was literally bored for most of it. My partner which is just a casual couldn't understand why KOHD or RQ were so long. Then I see setlists of shows from this last year like the one in Madrid which didn't even had Perhaps yet and I'm like "was it so hard to provide this same setlist back in 2022?"

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Uncle Bob said:

I know for the last shows it wast just Wichita and oldies like Live and Let Die or KOHD, but for many shows for this whole NITL run, there has been way too many covers and unnecessary boring extended songs.

I wish that time spent for all that stuff would have been dedicated to perform other of their actual songs (or more new songs) or maybe just to rest themselves as even Duff admitted it can be hurtful

Their cover of Wichita Lineman is great imo, but I wouldn't mind if they rotated it with You Ain't The First. If there's one cover they need to drop, it's Slither.

YCBM is a hit, but it's sounded awful for years now.

KOHD should be a staple, RQ could be an alternate, but neither song should have 6+ minutes of extended solos...

I'd be happy if they took a RHCP approach to the sets - have a few staples that get played every night (WTTJ, SCOM, PC, Nov Rain, KOHD, LALD) and rotate everything else.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Politania said:

I would like to ask something without sounding like a jerk, but please someone tell me who plays the guitar, does it actually hurt after so many hours of playing? is it pain in the hands or arms? I don't play any instrument myself and I have no idea.

Yes, especially Les Paul guitars are heavy. My band rehearses once a week for three hours and I already sit down half of the rehearsal because otherwise I feel it in my shoulders the next day.

• Thanks 1

I love long shows and I also love shorter shows. Depends on who’s playing. GNR has a long list of songs people would want to hear, which is crazy given how small their discography is. Really goes to show how those albums are mammoths.

It’s also easier to be more in favour of longer shows now that they are playing on time.

Edited by Zeppelin
  • Like 1

Cut Rocket Queen like they did at Glastonbury & you'd squeeze another song in, something like Yesterdays / You're crazy ...a decent sub 4 min track 

Don't shorten sets, shorten Rocket & KOHD , play it as a studio length song & it's a great live track, at 12 min long it's boring & I fit in a pee & a beer 

Edited by DSTK
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

I love the long shows. I think it shows that they really care. In the last couple of years I saw RHCP and Arctic Monkeys do less than 2 hours and not even play half of their big songs. 

Yeah j saw RHCP twice in 2022. 

The second time they headlined a festival and were scheduled to play til 10:50 and they cut the set at 1030 and didn't play Under the Bridge, Otherside, Scar Tissue or some others. Everyone in the pit seemed super confused when the lights came on

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Uncle Bob said:

Yeah, that's what I said, that's why I have said some of the shows from the entire NITL run have had way too many covers.

But NITL ended four years ago, so it's not relevant.

As for the songs you mentioned, only Wichita Lineman and Live and Let Die are regulars – the latter being a popular official release.

Black Hole Sun was played once in 2022 and once in '21. It hasn't been a regular since 2019.

The Seeker was also last played in 2022, and was only played three times in '22 as well.

Walk All Over You and Back In Black only got played eight times, the latter only in 2022.

The point being, you can't cut stuff that isn't really there.

• Like 1