DUFF MCKAGAN Defends GUNS N' ROSES' Three-And-A-Half-Hour Live Performances: 'What Songs Do You Take Out?'

8 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Plenty obviously. 

And there's plenty of people not on fan forums who complain about the long gnr set. 

Some people are just fine watching 3 1/2 hour shows, with quality that dips up and down significantly... Others want the show to be strong throughout, not want to have so far in the set that are good piss breaks. Heavens door, rocket queen, the slash solo and Coma are all breaks for me.

There are definitely songs in the main set that are played every night or very regularly that could be less regular. Absolutely no reason for the sprawling solo sections in heavens door, RQ. If Axl wants a break, give Duff another song in the set or Maybe Melissa could do a lead?

If axl only did 2 hrs maybe he wouldnt need a break anyhow. Thats how most bands operate.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JAxlMorrison said:

The only thing I can truly agree with among these complaints is Rocket Queen…zip that bitch back to the 6 minutes ish it’s intended to be. The long KOHD though? That has some of the best guitar of the whole show. Leave it in. 

I'd be more inclined to go with the opposite. I don't mind the latest version of Rocket Queen with the piano breakdown. The eight year-long Knockin' on Heaven's Door bores the crap out of me though.

I wouldn't be upset if neither – long or short – were in the set though

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DoMw94 said:

I'd be more inclined to go with the opposite. I don't mind the latest version of Rocket Queen with the piano breakdown. The eight year-long Knockin' on Heaven's Door bores the crap out of me though.

I wouldn't be upset if neither – long or short – were in the set though

It’s funny, I usually feel that way watching a stream (for KOHD,) but when I’m there live, it just hits me right. 

12 hours ago, BangoSkank said:

They could drop a few things here and there, but idgaf, they're one of my favorites, play as long as you want.

That's how I feel too.

What's laughable though is Duff saying that "nobody leaves." That's just not true; at the show I went to this year a lot of people left after SCOM.

• Like 1

The extra long KOHD and RQ are most likely for Axls benefit. gives him 5 minutes of water, oxygen and a towel down. It depends if you care more for trimming the fat or for quality of the show. the extended jams could easily be replaced by some audience interaction, like talking to the audience, an anecdote, a story. very rare at GnR shows these days.

Someone said earlier the long shows are great if you can accept the massive dips in quality (mainly axl) but tbh i don't think Axls vocals will be better if its a 90 minute show anyway. he cannot sing anything in that mid range and his rasp when he does bring it out is weak and rough. so you might as well have 3 hours of shit than 90 minutes of shit in GnRs case. get drunk, singalong and tune axl out that way. 

Edited by JimiRose
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, vloors said:

If axl only did 2 hrs maybe he wouldnt need a break anyhow. Thats how most bands operate.

Hyde park, 2 hours 40, no break, no encore...straight through from Easy to Paradise 

Only time he wasn't on stage was RQ annoying jam & Knockin

I can't believe people moan they're on too long..covers, yes cut some but LALD, Knockin are recorded GNR staples in the set, the seeker has gone ,which rocked..I liked it, same with black hole sun but it was over played, just play it as a tribute around his death , Wichita is OK but not every gig, same with Slither 

I said it before, but I really think they should just open with SCOM so all the casuals and posers can go the fuck home right after and leave a GNR concert to actual fans.

If they give me a 3-hour live concert for my money, they can play whatever the fuck they want - even though for some reason they never play my favorite song Breakdown.

I miss Axl talking on stage though, for me it's part of a real GNR concert. I like when he tells a bit about what inspired a song or lyrics or some story from the road, sometimes it's silly and hilarious, sometimes it goes a bit deeper, I like that, makes it more human and personal.

Bring back those Axl speeches so Duff can rest his back for a bit. Gimme a 20 minute drum solo so Axl can take a nap if it helps. Anything pushing 4 or even 5 hours is totally fine with me. It's not like I have any other plans for such a night.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, adamsapple said:

I said it before, but I really think they should just open with SCOM so all the casuals and posers can go the fuck home right after and leave a GNR concert to actual fans.

If they give me a 3-hour live concert for my money, they can play whatever the fuck they want - even though for some reason they never play my favorite song Breakdown.

I miss Axl talking on stage though, for me it's part of a real GNR concert. I like when he tells a bit about what inspired a song or lyrics or some story from the road, sometimes it's silly and hilarious, sometimes it goes a bit deeper, I like that, makes it more human and personal.

Bring back those Axl speeches so Duff can rest his back for a bit. Gimme a 20 minute drum solo so Axl can take a nap if it helps. Anything pushing 4 or even 5 hours is totally fine with me. It's not like I have any other plans for such a night.

Opening with SCOM would be interesting. 

SCOM then NR. Then see how many casuals stick around haha

The encore of SCOM and PC in London 2022 was cool (Axl's voice aside). 1-2 punch of their big hits, good fuckin' night.

If they were gonna trim the show down, it would be interesting to see how people would react to a 15-18 song set with a couple hits sprinkled throughout, followed by their 5 biggest hits as an encore.

Throw WTTJ, Estranged, LALD, Patience in the main set. An encore of SCOM, YCBM, NR, KOHD, PC for a 2.5 hour show might be a better bang for your buck, for stadium crowds.

As much as Duff praises Axl for being a vocal master, he's gonna need to adjust and shorten the sets eventually...

12 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Laughable is that there are some strange people complaining about them playing long shows. That's totally absurd.

Laughable. The man always moaning about people not accepting personal preferences is giving out about peoples personal preference🤣 Absurd.

12 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Laughable. The man always moaning about people not accepting personal preferences is giving out about peoples personal preference🤣 Absurd.

Aww, the butthurt loser still on a personal vendetta. Now that is laughable.

21 hours ago, bmus1 said:

People want their favorite band to sound good for an entire show.

They do sound good enough for most people attending shows.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Definitely not at the last show I went to. :lol: I went to two shows this year. The first was great, the second was not

As a diehard fan, I like the long shows because a few surprises in the show are what give it excitement considering I have gotten all the hits 10 times. For the average concert goer, they may be a lot. Either way, the main thing that matters is how Axl sounds. If a shorter show means he would sound better, I would prefer that. If it doesn't matter, then I don't care. 

21 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

The last two times they played Fenway, they barely played over 2 hours. I feel cheated.. Hopefully they don't play there any more. 

Trust me, that show was still awesome. I saw them at the Hollywood Bowl (which was even shorter than Fenway), and it was not even close to the level of the Fenway show

Edited by ZoSoRose

1 hour ago, PatrickS77 said:

Aww, the butthurt loser still on a personal vendetta. Now that is laughable.

Personal vendetta, as if I come on here searching for your dumb thought of the day🤣 I'm not a fan of your snotty personality on here though, and do enjoy reminding you when you're being a complete hypocrite/idiot... You obviously wouldn't realise this, so I'm here to help. Consider it personal growth coaching, no charge or thanks needed☺️

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Trust me, that show was still awesome. I saw them at the Hollywood Bowl (which was even shorter than Fenway), and it was not even close to the level of the Fenway show

No doubt the show was good but I still feel shorted. I spent almost $400 a ticket for great seats. Part of the reason I justified that was because of their extra long sets which Fenway was robbed of twice in a row now.  Last time was partly due to the weather but they could have also started earlier than they did.  But yes, it was still an awesome show \m/

• Like 1