Slash played Don’t Damn Me with Todd Kerns on vocals

Just now, Ralphelmo said:

Its not about voice, its about breath control

Yeah, I know that Slash said the same thing years ago. However, if Todd can pull this off maybe Axl can as well. After all, they played Coma during the tour. 

I think he did a good job. However - while I agree that breath control is key here it shouldn’t be forgotten that Kerns only sang lead on THREE songs so had plenty of gas in the tank.

I’m pretty sure if Axl was to have a go early on in a gig he could do absolutely fine.

One thing that was missing from Kerns (and probably from Axl if he did it) is the palpable anger that the original has. Obviously it’s a 30 year old song etc however it’s quite telling how different it sounds ‘speaking/singing’ it like Kerns - it didn’t have the bite and rage.

Edited by DTJ80

6 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I think he did a good job. However - while I agree that breath control is key here it shouldn’t be forgotten that Kerns only sang lead on THREE songs so had plenty of gas in the tank.

I’m pretty sure if Axl was to have a go early on in a gig he could do absolutely fine.

One thing that was missing from Kerns (and probably from Axl if he did it) is the palpable anger that the original has. Obviously it’s a 30 year old song etc however it’s quite telling how different it sounds ‘speaking/singing’ it like Kerns - it didn’t have the bite and rage.

Exactly, Kerns tries to be menacing...ouch. I bet Is the reason Axl Is not singing It. The delivery must be fill with rage. Well at least Is not Myles who sings

29 minutes ago, GNRmello77 said:

Well then he better listen to those songs with headphones on and rehearse the shit out of them

He didn't for many GNR songs, I doubt he has any more motivation to do so for his little solo shows lol. You can only make a multi millionaire "work" so much:lol:Tbh if I was THAT rich and in my late 50s, I'd phone it in too, it doesn't really matter, it really doesn't make a difference to ticket sales anyway

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

9 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Not true he was at his best during VR Libertad era, Slash self tilted & early SMKC. All sober. He’s sucked since GN’R reunion 

The last time Slash sounded “good” was on the first VR album. 
I don’t think it’s even debatable. I’ve seen him live more times than any other member of the band past or present. Look at any live footage up until 2005 and then compare that with anything 2006 to today. You’re seeing a completely different guitar player. The Slash of today could have never written the riffs that made him a literal guitar god.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s still an enigma. But he was just a better player not sober and I think he would tell you the same thing candidly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

He didn't for many GNR songs, I doubt he has any more motivation to do so for his little solo shows lol. You can only make a multi millionaire "work" so much:lol:Tbh if I was THAT rich and in my late 50s, I'd phone it in too, it doesn't really matter, it really doesn't make a difference to ticket sales anyway

Well with Slash you never know, he is far from lazy when it comes to music. And I don't really find the term phoning it in adapt with Slash. I'd call it comfortable with everything as it is

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ZoSo said:

That solo has just taken the entire shine off this performance for me. Todd sounds great on vocals, but the difference between the original solo and this, err, noodling monstrosity of a solo is the epitome of how much Slash's playing has actually gotten worse as he's aged. He's not even hitting the changes in the melody, which the original does so well, it's just flat out noodling with no connection to the underlying song.

16 hours ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

Slash was a better player while under the influence. Sober, not so much. 

I hate to say it, but it's true. Not only was he more melodic and creative back then, he was also somehow more precise when he was drunk. How can it be that he plays sloppier sober?

The only part that makes sense to me is that some of the smooth fluidity to his playing came from being drunk, and slurring his fingers, so to speak.

5 hours ago, Ralphelmo said:

Its not about voice, its about breath control

Axl has better breath control in his mid-low registers.

12 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Not true he was at his best during VR Libertad era, Slash self tilted & early SMKC. All sober. He’s sucked since GN’R reunion 

The decline started after Snakepit disbanded. Contraband was very good but he sucked on the tour for it (this becomes a trend; still sounding good in the studio but being sloppy live). Libertad was hit and miss. Solo album was a step back up (possibly because he actually started writing it between Snakepit and VR in 2002). First tour with Myles was sloppier and tone getting cleaner. AL has the first signs of his tone getting cleaner in the studio as well. And from there on he just kept getting sloppier with cleaner tone.

33 minutes ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

I'm surprised what an enthusiastic response they got from the crowd for such a deep cut.

Tbf it wasn't a Guns N' Roses show, you're not going to find many casuals at an SMKC gig

• Like 4

I would love to know what was Axl's tought on this 

On 1/25/2024 at 5:43 PM, Top-Hatted One said:

Yea it’s bad enough he doesn’t take the time to learn CD solos but his own solos? Dead Horse, Yesterdays & now Don’t Damn Me? Just proves how bored he is with anything old.

Maybe he wants to play them that way. Why would he should play note by note? It's his show and he plays whatever he wants

• Like 4

4 hours ago, agustingloger said:

I would love to know what was Axl's tought on this 

Maybe he will use it as a tutorial to sing it during the next GNR tour:lol: No joke I think it would go over well it's mostly in his lower voice which still sounds every bit as good as it ever did. It's clearly not at all impossible to sing as we have just seen.

If he figures it out this would probably be the best addition to the setlist since Coma in 2016. Unexpected, not done at all before, and just a great present for the fans, this is one of GNRs most AFD-sounding and AFD-quality rockers, it's too bad it never got it's due live. This and Breakdown are the last 2 "big" songs of the deep cuts left that they could still pull out as a new addition to the set.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

The whole Slash noodling thing is way, way, WAY overstated on here. I think he mainly stays very loyal to AFD material, ballads, the new Guns releases. 

It’s mainly the Illusions deep cuts where it stands out. I don’t know what he’s trying what those songs 

• Like 2

On 1/25/2024 at 3:14 PM, Draguns said:

Yeah, I know that Slash said the same thing years ago. However, if Todd can pull this off maybe Axl can as well. After all, they played Coma during the tour. 

No way, Todd is 100x the singer that Axl (in his current form) is. 

8 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Maybe he will use it as a tutorial to sing it during the next GNR tour:lol: No joke I think it would go over well it's mostly in his lower voice which still sounds every bit as good as it ever did. It's clearly not at all impossible to sing as we have just seen.

If he figures it out this would probably be the best addition to the setlist since Coma in 2016. Unexpected, not done at all before, and just a great present for the fans, this is one of GNRs most AFD-sounding and AFD-quality rockers, it's too bad it never got it's due live. This and Breakdown are the last 2 "big" songs of the deep cuts left that they could still pull out as a new addition to the set.

No thanks, I don't want to see Frank Ferrer mess it up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

No way, Todd is 100x the singer that Axl (in his current form) is. 

No thanks, I don't want to see Frank Ferrer mess it up.

Nah man - it’s really easy to be a part time front man like Todd and sound good like this. At this tempo and in the right circumstances Axl could easily replicate it - early in the set etc etc.

One thing that’s missing is the lack of any anger in the delivery. It’s kinda just spoken - Axl might be able to add more of that. It’s the tempo that’s key….if slowed a notch it offers more breathing time.

However it’s still very cool to hear it in any form, done well and actually shows it COULD happen in the future.

Edited by DTJ80
  • Like 3