Ritz Blu Ray - Where's Dizzy?

Ok apologies if this has been addressed in another thread. So I've finally gotten a reasonably priced UYI super deluxe edition (7 CD and Blu Ray version). Obviously the first disc I play is the Blu Ray. And whilst it's a great performance from Izzy era Illusion tour one thing sucks. Did whoever the camera people were forget about Dizzy? You can see his piano on the left hand side of the stage. If you squint you can see him in the shadows. I think one of the only times you see him when Axl introduces him during Estranged.

I know he's not an original member and most fans probably watch for Axl, Slash n Duff. But Matt wasn't an original member and we see plenty of him. I don't know about everyone else. But if I buy something which contains a Blu Ray concert of a favourite artist/band I expect to see the whole fucking band. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

39 minutes ago, Gunner Gilby said:

Ok apologies if this has been addressed in another thread. So I've finally gotten a reasonably priced UYI super deluxe edition (7 CD and Blu Ray version). Obviously the first disc I play is the Blu Ray. And whilst it's a great performance from Izzy era Illusion tour one thing sucks. Did whoever the camera people were forget about Dizzy? You can see his piano on the left hand side of the stage. If you squint you can see him in the shadows. I think one of the only times you see him when Axl introduces him during Estranged.

I know he's not an original member and most fans probably watch for Axl, Slash n Duff. But Matt wasn't an original member and we see plenty of him. I don't know about everyone else. But if I buy something which contains a Blu Ray concert of a favourite artist/band I expect to see the whole fucking band. 

You understand the entire purpose of filming that concert at the time was to make a music video for YCBM? It was never intended for us to see it all, as a full show, like other bands full filmed shows intended to be released officially, as a full concert... 30 years later we are lucky we even got to see it lifted from the vaults in the first place, and re-used for that purpose, since it's incredible footage. Since there's 0 piano in the song it's pretty understandable to me that the camera guys focused on members you actually hear on the song because they needed as much footage of them as possible to choose from.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 4

On 4/27/2024 at 7:35 PM, Gunner Gilby said:

Yeah weird to not have any shots of him in the performance and then introduce him at the end of the video. Seems like people here forgot he was introduced in the YCBM video. 

Edited by Chris 55
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

Probably because he’s completely irrelevant. I’ve often wondered why he bothers to stay on stage shaking a little percussion instrument that no one can hear during half the songs. 

Well he's obviously not irrelevant cos he's lasted 34 years straight and counting. He stays on stage the full show switching between keys and percussion cos he's a band member, not a backup musician. And you can often hear Dizzy on percussion. Take Rocket Queen on Tokyo 92 where he switches between keys and percussion. He's actually a pretty decent percussionist as well as keys player. 

He's all over the Chinese Democracy album and the recently released songs. Obviously Axl thinks he's worth keeping around. And a lot of members have come and gone.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

Probably because he’s completely irrelevant. I’ve often wondered why he bothers to stay on stage shaking a little percussion instrument that no one can hear during half the songs. 

He's relevant because he's in the band. That's the top and bottom of it. Other bands have a touring member on keys and percussion, GN'R chose to make theirs a full member.

People don't need to like him, but at the end of the day he's entirely in the band

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

He's relevant because he's in the band. That's the top and bottom of it. Other bands have a touring member on keys and percussion, GN'R chose to make theirs a full member.

People don't need to like him, but at the end of the day he's entirely in the band

He can be in the band but he’s still irrelevant. If Guns were due to go on tour and he got injured or something, they’d just carry on without him. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, jacdaniel said:

He can be in the band but he’s still irrelevant. If Guns were due to go on tour and he got injured or something, they’d just carry on without him. 

Obviously not without having him replaced first. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

You understand the entire purpose of filming that concert at the time was to make a music video for YCBM? It was never intended for us to see it all, as a full show, like other bands full filmed shows intended to be released officially, as a full concert... 30 years later we are lucky we even got to see it lifted from the vaults in the first place, and re-used for that purpose, since it's incredible footage. Since there's 0 piano in the song it's pretty understandable to me that the camera guys focused on members you actually hear on the song because they needed as much footage of them as possible to choose from.

Yes, it was primarily filmed for the YCBM music video (but I'm not so sure the full concert was never intended for release, since the sound was professionally recorded, too).

In addition, there was no (prominent, at least) piano or keyboard on any of the performed songs other than Estranged, and Dizzy's status in the band was not clear yet then (at least as far as the public was concerned), so probably the film crew figured he was just an "additional musician" and no shots of him were necessary except during Estranged.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

This...

They were not really going to set up specific shots of him for a music video of a song he isn't really on. On a side note I noticed Dizzy was very high in the mix on live shows at the start of last tour and it actually worked on some of the AFD stuff, cant see how it would on YCBM though and obviously they, and probably he thought the same when it was recorded.

1 hour ago, Ugly_Kid_Jose said:

i never understood have teddy ziz zag andreadis having dizzy in the tour, and now melissa

Yeah I agree. Dizzy is good enough for it to be just him. I will say tho that I love the extended version of Move To The City. 

I think with Chris and now Melissa it's not so much about having another keys player but someone to play the right samples and layers at the right times. I've heard that Melissa thickens the sound live so it sounds like there's three guitars instead of two or something.

15 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

I'd rather be doing that than doing this.