Final thoughts on NITL tour

There's a lot more cons than pros in regards to this tour. The only pro is getting Axl and Slash back together. Most people thought that would never happen. But there's a list of cons. No Izzy. Steven's limited participation. Terrible setlist. Poor performances from Axl. Little to no interviews and promotion. And Frank's mediocre drumming. If the plan is to continue with this lineup, I hope they bag everything and retire GNR. I'm much more looking forward to Slash getting back together with Myles and the Conspirators than I am for any future GNR shows. This lineup has lost its luster to me.

Edited by LikeADog93

12 minutes ago, LikeADog93 said:

This lineup has lost its luster to me.

Aside from Slash/Axl/Duff the lineup lost it's luster the minute we saw the Troubador lineup. I root for this band. I want them to sound great. I would accept the rest of the lineup if they proved themselves but they didn't. 

It's been a good tour that has dragged on a bit too long, but good overall.

Pro's:

-The hype of the Vegas 2016 shows was unreal, it was great to be in an arena with such an electric atmosphere, that first show was such a great experience. Seeing them perform Coma on April 8 is honestly the best concert moment I've experienced.

-The NA 2016 tour and Axl/DC shows were easily the best shows since 2010.

-The setlist, while basically the same for the majority of the tour, is great. Coma, DTJ, Madagascar, CITR, and SOYL and Slither on this leg are nice additions.

Con's:

-Axl's voice deteriorated after the NA 2016 shows

-If you've been to 1 or 2 shows already, the setlist is predictable.

-Too many covers. FUCK BLACK HOLE SUN.

-Basically everything about TIL has sucked since 2017 yet they won't drop it from the set.

-Ticket prices.

Edited by Gordon Comstock

58 minutes ago, LikeADog93 said:

There's a lot more cons than pros in regards to this tour. The only pro is getting Axl and Slash back together. Most people thought that would never happen. But there's a list of cons. No Izzy. Steven's limited participation. Terrible setlist. Poor performances from Axl. Little to no interviews and promotion. And Frank's mediocre drumming. If the plan is to continue with this lineup, I hope they bag everything and retire GNR. I'm much more looking forward to Slash getting back together with Myles and the Conspirators than I am for any future GNR shows. This lineup has lost its luster to me.

To me I see a lot more pros than you IMO.  Coma, Slither, Shadow of Your Love, and honestly I really like the overall general setlists they cover a lot of territory and are extensive.  

All in all I view GNR currently in a much more favorable light, I still really dig this lineup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Aside from Slash/Axl/Duff the lineup lost it's luster the minute we saw the Troubador lineup. I root for this band. I want them to sound great. I would accept the rest of the lineup if they proved themselves but they didn't. 

Whereas, Axl is the only disapointment in this lineup, for me.

I saw them three times in 2016; FedEx Field in Landover, MD, and both MetLife shows in Rutherford, NJ.

I have mixed feelings.

I did - for the most part enjoy the shows. The sets were the longest, and most expansive we've seen, and have gotten even longer as the tour went along. I think they play pretty much everything they should. Not a whole lot of "surprises." Maybe even a simple change in the song order would keep things a little fresh. Guns offer up so many classic songs that have to be played, that it doesn't lend itself to too much variation. 

Axl's voice has slipped progressively from 2016 to now. 2016 it was passable, but still not ideal. He sounded a whole lot better singing with AC/DC, that it is almost insulting. 

My biggest complaint is that it doesn't seem organic. Fans go to concerts for a "show" - some ad-libbing, some spontaneity, some interaction. Axl used to interact with the band more - both old and new. Not gonna come clamoring for "rants" like he used to be known for, but a little more interaction between both the bandmates and fans would make it come off a little less "forced."

It does come off as a very cookie cutter, cash grab of a tour. 

Not to say that it hasn't largely been "good" or enjoyable. I had a blast at the shows I went to. I do however, think that the novelty wore off fairly quick, and people saw the tour for what it really is - not that those of us with any shred of intelligence didn't already know.

I wish the guys mucho financial success - they're doing a killer job in that regard, but I think steps can be taken to make even more money, as well as a more enjoyable show for all. I don't think fans that already saw this tour would come back around in a lot of markets unless the band had something new to offer, even if it meant a tour with the original five, with no new music. 

• Like 1

Pros:

Seeing Axl and Slash sharing a stage again. I never would have believed it, but then I saw the You Tube clip in 2015 where Slash said he and Axl were talking to each other again, and I got the feeling a reunion was possible. 

Slash has become a fucking monster of a guitarist. Axl has always seemed to bring out the best in him, and it's probably extra motivation that he's part of a messy divorce, but Slash has, in my eyes, finally become the guitar god he always had the talent for.

Not the original GN'R, but a talented lineup that hopefully get the chance to record new music together. I can call this current lineup Guns N' Roses, and not have any reservations about it.

Cons:

The tour's gone on for a little too long. Axl's voice needs rest. I understand there's still demand for the band to hit countries they haven't been to yet, but Axl is sounding really rough at times, and it puts the future of new music at risk if his voice goes completely.

Merchandise prices. Not just at the shows, but on the website as well. Though, in some ways, the fact that the band finally has a reputable website that ships your merchandise in a timely fashion is a big PRO. Got my Locked N' Loaded set on June 29th, when I was supposed to.

• Like 1

The tour is what the tour is, a reunion tour and it was great for what it is, a look back to the past. I loved the gigs I went to as I wasnt even born yet when the band broke up.

Now its time to wrap it and look forward to the future, hopefully a future where the current band ( or something new with Izzy and a new drummer) can release new music and work like a normal band again. 

• Like 3

Pros:

Slash left GNR when I was 10 years old and I (obviously) didn’t get to see my favorite band play live. It was crushing news. And for 20 years I thought I’d never see the day I’d see my favorite guitar player and favorite singer play together again.

That pro outweighs any Con for me. 

• Like 3

Pros: 
Seeing Axl, Slash, and Duff back together again
Setlist- it's gotten bigger
having Adler rejoin for a few shows
seeing everyone in a better and happier mood
Slither being played
Shadow of Your Love being released
AFD back on the charts again

Cons:
For me, the biggest con was the $1,000 box set. If there was one legitimate complaint, it was this.  GNR needs  and should know that their audience is in the 30s/40s and can't afford that box set.  I'm not putting ticket prices on here since I paid over $100 to see Metallica, Bon Jovi (used points for the ticket), Axl/DC, Def Leppard/Journey during the last two years. Ticket prices are what they are for majority of concerts nowadays. However, the box set  is a different story. 

One other negative was watching MyGnrForum be a pretty cool place to discuss  GNR in 2016 to now where there is just too much complaining on things that doesn't need to be. My theory on this is that the excitement is done for some of the hardcore fans on here due to always watching concerts online and overanalyzing.  

• Like 2

I guess I'm the only one who thinks hearing the CD songs with Slash & Duff was a pro, I felt like they gave those songs new life & they really felt like GNR songs finally (not to say CD is bad)

The only real con of this tour for me is that there doesn't seem to be anything new on the horizon. I was really hoping Slash & Duff returning would speed up the process of a new album but seeing that Slash is going back to record with the Conspirators first seems very telling to me.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, bdinan said:

My biggest complaint is that it doesn't seem organic. Fans go to concerts for a "show" - some ad-libbing, some spontaneity, some interaction. Axl used to interact with the band more - both old and new. Not gonna come clamoring for "rants" like he used to be known for, but a little more interaction between both the bandmates and fans would make it come off a little less "forced."

At the shows I attended Axl seemed to be talking quite a bit to the band, it's just through the 'internal channel' on the IEMs so the audience doesn't hear it. At the show at the Gorge in 2017 he was quite interactive, especially with Melissa. And he waved at me. And he waves at people in the crowd at almost every show. Interaction isn't really an issue. My biggest complaint is actually the opposite of yours - I'd prefer the guy just stands still for 3 hours if it means better vocals... and the AC/DC shows (and nuGNR shows where Axl was pissed off) suggest that less moving does impact his vocals for the better.

2 minutes ago, The Matinator said:

I guess I'm the only one who thinks hearing the CD songs with Slash & Duff was a pro, I felt like they gave those songs new life & they really felt like GNR songs finally (not to say CD is bad)

The only real con of this tour for me is that there doesn't seem to be anything new on the horizon. I was really hoping Slash & Duff returning would speed up the process of a new album but seeing that Slash is going back to record with the Conspirators first seems very telling to me.

Agreed, except for This I Love post-2016, and TWAT is hit or miss. Would love to hear other CD songs like If The World, Street of Dreams, or IRS.

Well, the tour doesn’t necessarily seem to be wrapping up yet. There’s another leg in the fall/early winter. I could see more legs and dates being added. 

The tour, for me, has kept me interested since they’ve been adding just enough every leg. Last leg it was CD songs like Maddy and Prostitue, this leg Slither and Shadow. Once they stop adding stuff here or there it’s on the verge of being boring for me. Axl’s voice is the weakest link for me. Frank also ruins some of the songs for me. But overall it’s a pretty fair tour. It’s not awful but not great either.

• Like 1

2016 Vegas shows were among the best G N' R experiences of my life...second to only the 1991 Philadelphia Spectrum show.  The Orlando 2016 show was awesome.  The Miami 2017 show was also great and had the best overall setlist, imo.   Like some others have said, hopefully they wrap it up by the end of the year and deliver a new album by 2019....wishful thinking but it's pretty much what any real fan wants at this point.

Pro's:

-The hype of the the reunion was UNBELIEVABLE. We even forgot about lemmy's death. It was gr8 to see the history being made up right in front of my eyes when slash's twitter posted that photo of the GN'R logo.

- Axl's FANTASTIC voice in 2016. He sang like he was in the 80's with Axl/DC, way better than he did with his own band. The shoemaker's son always goes barefoot.

- Slash's solos. I'm not his fan, but i got admit he was amazing troughout the tour. Aside from TIL, he did the solos like the studio versions. 

The fact that I saw Axl and Slash performing right in front of my eyes, in their first show together in brazil since 1992. I'm a die hard follower of that sayin' that "Boys Don't Cry", but I couldn't help cryin' in Sweet Child O' Mine n' Estranged.

- Duff smiling at me when I showed him my tong. geez, i'll never forget that moment.

Con's:

-Axl's voice deteriorated after the NA 2016 shows²

-The setlist became predictable after 2017.

- Slash's AWFUL solos on This I Love. Ashba, in this song, was indeed better than the old one.

- Rock In Rio 2017. THAT WAS DREADFUL.

-Ticket prices.²

Pros:

- Got to see GNR since I wasn't born when they were together

- Hearing Deep cuts like Coma live

- TIL 2016 I found wonderful

- Seeing them a 2nd time in 2017

- Getting a long show both times cause who plays for more than 2 hours these days.

- Hearing the classics SCOM, OTGM, MM, NR, RQ, DC, ISE, WTTJ, Estranged patience, YCBM even if the vocals weren't the best this isnt the 90s anymore.

Cons:

- Missed Sorry and whole lotta rosie both times despite being played close to the dates

- Missed Maddy, Prostitute, slither and SOYL since they were added after.

- They didnt come close enough for round 3 :(

the only negativity i have for the tour is not enough UK dates and Axl is getting boring, not once have i saw him stop the show and tell the audience off like naughty children. and/or kick someone out. some of those old videos are so funny. 

as for ticket prices i think they are average. i have saw GNR, sabbath, the stones and aerosmith over the last few years and paid around £100 for each.

would have been nice to see the AFD5 do a few shows for last years anniversary but i've been happy with an original 3. the last time we saw axl and slash together was for the UYI tour and dont forget that was just an original 3 tour. 

9 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

I’d disagree on setlist, I think it’s one of the most expansive and  deep sets in their history. It only got longer as the tour continued. Setlist was an A+

the band has been tight, it’s a big what could have been with the drumming but the sound has been top notch.

Axl has given us just enough. We got spoiled with the ACDC performances so it was natural for us to hope for some of that in Guns.

the tour will go down as one of the smoothest and most successful tours of all time. 

They did what they needed to. 

The set list is legit. 

7 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

This was a cash grab of epic proportions.

Though it is slightly better than doing Vegas Residencies and Birthday Parties with DJ Ashba...that was the lowest of lows.

Izzy went to the wedding, too. I think if it was cool enough for Izzy it was legit. Could you imagine having Axl and Izzy play songs at your fucking wedding? 

Edited by The Holographic Universe
  • Like 1