Apparently Slash is asking reporters to sign contracts before interviews

6 hours ago, Sisyphus said:

In other words, no interesting questions allowed. He wants the publicity but doesn't want to give away any interesting info. Because people obviously enjoy hearing how he and Myles inspire each other and how The Conspirators are the tightest bunch of musicians in the world. So super-duper interesting.

I don't think the contracts are about what questions are allowed (and the Classic Rock journalist didn't imply that this is what the contract was about anyway). This can just be agreed upon before the interview without a contract, like "please don't ask me about this because I can't/don't want to talk about it". And, in the end, Slash (or whoever else) can just avoid answering some questions, like he did with the Izzy related question, for example.

It's about the possibility of being misquoted, words taken out of context, etc. In many cases the article is not just the Q&A like the Rolling Stone interview, but a story with comments and background information inserted by the journalist in-between, like the Classic Rock interview. And there the writer could, for example, use an old Slash quote that could be misconstrued as something he said in the current interview.

Maybe the contracts are aimed only to specific outlets which have a history of using such tactics.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

I remember when the they did this exact same thing when the illusions albums came out except it was intigated by slash. They would do the interview and the journalist would have to get the bands ok before the interview went to print. Then when the whole PRMC was trying to censor hard rock/metal in the early  90s slash would say in interviews "fuck censorship it will never win":lol:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tourettes2400 said:

I think the Rolling Stone interview has got him paranoid. When he stopped by Eddie Trunk's show the other day, he was saying the interviewer was an asshole. 

Could be, but that would be unreasonable of Slash, imo. A music journalist isn't just a vessel to push album sales. It's their job to act like any other professional journalist and get answers, get insights. If Slash doesn't want to deal with that then he can avoid reputable outlets and just appear on his friends podcasts. It's not like there's shame in that.

In the case with Hiatt, Slash seems to be pissed that the journalist didn't let his very obvious lie go unchecked.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, Wagszilla said:

Truly horrifying.

The corporate mandated censorship and hamstringing of the free press is one thing.

But the blasé, sheep-like acceptance expressed in this thread continues to erode my faith in the future.

Enjoy your pile of ashes or dystopian existence. 

The press is free from government control.  It is to prevent North Korea (and many others) style, propaganda based, state-run media.  A free press doesn't mean that a private citizen is forced to give open interviews so that the "journalist" reporting on entertainment can get website traffic or sell magazines.  The freedom of the press doesn't even mean that government officials have to answer their questions, it just means that the government can't censor what they say/write and can't force them to say/write anything.

• Like 1

It's a smart move on Slash's/GNR's part, but journalists don't have to play a game that's tilted against them. They can just as easily forego the interview and publish a story saying that GNR requires contracts and it says "x, y, and z." That's just as interesting as, if not more so than, Slash telling the vague story for the 100th time of how GNR reunited and the open-ended tidbit that he has written some basic guitar parts, which could be used for future Guns tracks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

Truly horrifying.

The corporate mandated censorship and hamstringing of the free press is one thing.

But the blasé, sheep-like acceptance expressed in this thread continues to erode my faith in the future.

Enjoy your pile of ashes or dystopian existence. 

I guess it would be better if he said he is still pissed at Axl for rejecting Snakepit material which would reopen an old feud potentially causing Guns to break up again. Theyd all lose the band as well as personal friendships. Wed no longer have GNR. 

But at least there was no censorship.

• Like 1

Their 20 year feud was either caused by or intensified by things they may or may not have said about each other written in the media....or they've manage to make peace with each other by believing that. I don't see what's wrong with them protecting themselves from that happening again. I mean, I know, "they're so corporate" now but they're also grown ups now. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Apollo said:

As a former 20-year member of the media I can promise you that a lot of current “journalists” are specifically looking for click-bait answers or they are trying to get Slash to get angry and go off on a rant. 

Reporters and news outlets use to report the NEWS. Now....it’s all about promoting their agenda and trying to get headline quotes. 

Slash is a rock guitar player. He is getting ready to release a new album and go on tour. That’s mainly what he is trying to promote. And remember. The alternative is he pulls an Axl and just turns down all interview requests. 

But instead of talking about the upcoming album and tour and some questions about the partial- reunion, these reporters are desperately trying to get their tmz fame. They are asking questions about Perla. They are asking financial based questions about the tour. Questions about Izzy and Adler. Questions trying to secure a controversial quote about Axl. It has to be frustrating for the artist. 

It’s like going to dinner and drinks with an old friend. And ALL they want to talk about is your old high school shenanigans. “Remember when we got drunk on that jv basketball trip”....”remember when Joe’s parents were out of town and we had that huge rager.” After an hour of that you just want to sneak out the backdoor.   

Would you put Rolling Stone magazine in the same category as click bait outlets?

Edited by soon
  • GNFNR 1

What most celebrities do is hire a top gun publicist.

The publicist will literally sit over the interviewers shoulder, ready to pounce if their client is put in a sticky situation. Most of the time, they don't have to do anything, since there are only a few good publicists out there and they represent all the talent, if you burn one of them- you're likely to never get a good interview again.

On Howard Stern, the publicist will kill an interview quickly if they sense Stern has gone beyond the pale. Gary will come running into the studio and exclaim "He's gotta go! He's got a bunch more interviews today." Listen to some Stern, there's usually a pattern that will emerge: Howard will wait until he's gotten a lot out of his subject before he'll ask an outrageous question, knowing that if the publicist pulls the interview, he's already got most of a show.

I was listening to an old interview archive recently and there was one with actor Aaron Eckhart who played two-face. At the end of it, Howard gets into his sex life and basically traps Eckhart into an admission that he doesn't use sex protection and doesn't pull out! There's this moment where Eckhart is drowning and then Gary comes running in, "He's gotta go, he's got Good Morning America next!"

1 hour ago, soon said:

Would you put Rolling Stone magazine in the same category as click bait outlets?

Rolling Stone is basically a public relations outlet for the democrat party and for the far liberal left. So I don’t really read it that much. 

I stay away from anybody or any outlet that is obsessively tied to one political party or 100% to one side (conservative or liberal). 

Back in the day they were one of the best magazines for music related feature stories. I can’t really comment how they are now though. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

How exactly would Guns lose money from an interview gone wrong? Not asking to be a smart ass. Legitimately asking.

Perhaps if there's new music in the can, then hackers uncover it online. Then everyone's stealing the new Guns N' Roses album, instead of buying it.

Slash has been saying new Guns music is a possibility, and that's probably the best thing he can say. If he were to say a record is done, the odds of keeping it from leaking in this day and age are slim. Better for himself, and the band, to have all the bases covered with the press/media.

Edited by Old_school_gnr_fan

12 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

I think the question about Perla and Axl got Slash mad. I think he halfway expected the rest of the questions at some point. Those questions were top notch. He questioned if this was simply a get together or an actual band haha 

but yea I imagine if an interview is taken the wrong way and Axl or someone gets mad and a show gets canceled then that’s technically money lost. 

i think questions like " so did your missus and Axls ex from 30 years ago get this thing rolling?" are prime examples as to why GNR members are touchy about doing interviews. The question about Axls lateness back in the day as well, trying to bring up things that might open some old wounds.