Jump to content
betterman

[RUMOR] Next album coming early 2020 (GNRCentral as source)

Recommended Posts

47 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Perhaps to guage if there is even an interest in such a thing and whether its a worthwhile endeavour to attempt to add something to their cannon?  I mean Chi Dem had a modicum of success on curiosity alone, that was 10 years ago, is the same applicable now, in 2019, about Guns n Roses, would anyone really care if they released an album, is it even worth it?  I mean like, have you looked at album sales lately, for a band used to the good old days, one whoose passion for music is suspect but whoose passion for money is a given dead cert is it even a worthwhile enterprise? 

They know how it’ll go. It’ll chart high and sell well in the first week, have a big sales drop week two and be forgotten about commercially speaking within six weeks. Same as every other veteran band/artist who releases new music. It’s for the established fanbase at this point, I don’t think anyone’s expecting hit singles and radio play anymore.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I don't agree, especially with music thats marketed as youth music, as things like GnR were.  Its not that these things, these stereotypes are un-escapable, its just you have to work your way out of them.  And work ain't GnRs strong point :lol:

I don’t think any of the GNR fans who became turned on to the band through CD did so because of the raw sexual magnetism of Axl’s pot belly and the pin-up status of Buckethead and Tommy Stinson.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Towelie said:

They know how it’ll go. It’ll chart high and sell well in the first week, have a big sales drop week two and be forgotten about commercially speaking within six weeks. Same as every other veteran band/artist who releases new music. It’s for the established fanbase at this point, I don’t think anyone’s expecting hit singles and radio play anymore.

 

Then, really, from a GnR perspective, is it worth it?  To just become like...common so to speak?

20 minutes ago, Towelie said:

I don’t think any of the GNR fans who became turned on to the band through CD did so because of the raw sexual magnetism of Axl’s pot belly and the pin-up status of Buckethead and Tommy Stinson.

With the flipside of that being that, substantially speaking, no-fuckin'-body was turned onto GnR through CD :lol:  Like 1% of the audience maybe, the vast majority, the vaaaaast fuckin' majority weren't goin' out buying tickets cuz of fuckin' CD and Chris Pittman and them :lol: 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rocks not really about sex to me - other than many lyrics I suppose. And older people are also sexy. And Buckethead is sexy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

If you zoom in really close on the reflection in the amp, you can see the back's of Axl and Slash.  In between them (and you have to look really closely) is a sheet of paper being held up with what looks like song lyrics.

Is that Izzy's hand holding it up for them?

Edited by Ace Spade
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

If GN'R exist in a nostalgic bubble, whose fault is that? Their setlists are Appetite-centric. Rose dresses like an early 1990s teenager. They market everything with skeletons. Guns N' Roses simply never matured as a group. Rose tried to, with the newgnr ''freaks'' era, but ultimately reverted to heavy nostalgia.

The CD era while not to everybody tastes could have resulted in another couple of albums. Instead, we get to wait 25 years between albums...

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, betterman said:

There was a time, Better, Street of dreams, Chinese Democracy, Prostitute, This I love. :) 

But in terms of popularity, no!

i like all those songs but theyll never be classics or lwgemdary rock anthems you hear at sports stadiums... some songs are popular cuz theyre good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, moreblack said:

But how do we define "good"?

Does it have The Pitman's presence? Then it's good. Everything else is insignificant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, moreblack said:

But how do we define "good"?

Like a lot of things in life, it's subjective. Here's a good example. Last month I went to a coffee shop that has been opened for 8 months. On Yelp, they received about 8-9 reviews since opening. Majority of the reviews are good. One person did write a review stating they serve bad coffee. 

I checked the place out and had their version of a nitro cold brew coffee. It was so bad that the barista was kind enough to make a cappuccino for me. That was bad-average. I've had much better at various coffee shops. When I got home, I gave them two stars. I complimented the customer service but mentioned that two cups of coffee weren't good there. 

What you define as good might not be someone else's definition of  good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I define it clearly as "Stuff I Like" :lol:

Don't we all?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I agree, but not all songs are popular because they're good. There's a lot of shit songs that are very popular and there's a lot of great songs that aren't. 

i agree with that too, thats why i said some songs... in gnrs case tho i dont really know of any popular songs that are shit. all the singles are great... only "popular" gnr songs im not crazy about are the covers lald/kohd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

If GN'R exist in a nostalgic bubble, whose fault is that? Their setlists are Appetite-centric. Rose dresses like an early 1990s teenager. They market everything with skeletons. Guns N' Roses simply never matured as a group. Rose tried to, with the newgnr ''freaks'' era, but ultimately reverted to heavy nostalgia.

cause axl wearing silver suits in 2010 is way more mature.

Edited by patolea10
forgot the date

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I mean like, have you looked at album sales lately, for a band used to the good old days, one whoose passion for music is suspect but whoose passion for money is a given dead cert is it even a worthwhile enterprise? 

You know you're old when you're talking about album sales. 😄

Nobody cares about album sales anymore. It means nothing except maybe it measures how many old fans you have. But it's all about streams these days cause that's how people listen to music. Through streaming services.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

You know you're old when you're talking about album sales. 😄

Nobody cares about album sales anymore. It means nothing.

It means money.  The sort of money these modern day stream jockey artists see in their dreams.  Which is my whole point, there ain’t a lot in it anymore so whats the point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

It means money.  The sort of money these modern day stream jockey artists see in their dreams.  Which is my whole point, there ain’t a lot in it anymore so whats the point?

Right! That is a problem for sure! The golden age of albums will never come back, so something should be made to make streaming more profitable for the artists. Right now it's not really a wonder why GNR keeps on touring and touring. New music is made to promote the tours. GNR doesn't necessarily need that cause people will always come to see them perform the classics. So I guess the question is more about the image. Do they really want to be known only as a nostalgia act?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

Right! That is a problem for sure! The golden age of albums will never come back, so something should be made to make streaming more profitable for the artists. Right now it's not really a wonder why GNR keeps on touring and touring. New music is made to promote the tours. GNR doesn't necessarily need that cause people will always come to see them perform the classics. So I guess the question is more about the image. Do they really want to be known only as a nostalgia act?

I dunno, I think they occupy a unique position in a way in that, in terms of their musical releases, they can't really be accused of like, getting into that old lazy rut of releasing substandard music ad infinitum, output-wise there's an argument to be made, as crazy as it is, that they retain a little mystique.  I mean Appetite and 2 Illusions right, thats all we've had in terms of output albums-wise.  And then Chi Dem which, shitbag though it is, was a kind of a crazy fuckin' thing, I don't know exactly how to phrase what I'm tryna say here which I guess could be boiled down to they could easily just leave it like that.  A new album is risky for a lot of reasons.  You could forgive a Chi Dem as being a release thats kinda like, y'know, some kind of artistic madness thing, an album that cost millions and took ages and didn't have the rest of the band on it.  But a new release thats crap or substandard, which it almost definitely will be (I mean in terms of not being able to live up with the legacy, its not their fault, its just an impossible thing), would be the end of any mystique surrounding the band.  Y'know, it'd remove all doubt. 

So to sum it up, if there's nothing in it financially, which there sort of isn't, with the advent of streaming and such...and its artistically and legacy-wise very high risk, if you're Axl and Slash sitting down think-tanking over this shit you must look at the situation like 'hang on, what the fuck do we have to gain here?'.  And lets face it, they ain't the 'doin' it for the love of the music' types or we wouldn't be having this discussion.  Releasing a new album at this juncture is almost all downside.  There is more value in their being a nostalgia act than coming out of the traps with a substandard new album which umpteen other reunion acts have done and taking a little more of the polish off of their legacy. 

I don't really much follow the band anymore so perhaps I'm missing some key information here but they don't appear too keen to be making a new album...and I can see why.  I mean look back at all the bands out there who a certain fanbase would LOVE new music from.  Zeppelin maybe...or The Smiths...or fuckin'...I dunno, The Sex Pistols maybe.  Would they really benefit from releasing a new album, when you think about it?  In the fragmented age of streaming, is an album even that thing anymore, as you've already said?  So with that in mind, where's the upside?  No money, no prestige, no particular artistic kudos. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I dunno, I think they occupy a unique position in a way in that, in terms of their musical releases, they can't really be accused of like, getting into that old lazy rut of releasing substandard music ad infinitum, output-wise there's an argument to be made, as crazy as it is, that they retain a little mystique.  I mean Appetite and 2 Illusions right, thats all we've had in terms of output albums-wise.  And then Chi Dem which, shitbag though it is, was a kind of a crazy fuckin' thing, I don't know exactly how to phrase what I'm tryna say here which I guess could be boiled down to they could easily just leave it like that.  A new album is risky for a lot of reasons.  You could forgive a Chi Dem as being a release thats kinda like, y'know, some kind of artistic madness thing, an album that cost millions and took ages and didn't have the rest of the band on it.  But a new release thats crap or substandard, which it almost definitely will be (I mean in terms of not being able to live up with the legacy, its not their fault, its just an impossible thing), would be the end of any mystique surrounding the band.  Y'know, it'd remove all doubt. 

So to sum it up, if there's nothing in it financially, which there sort of isn't, with the advent of streaming and such...and its artistically and legacy-wise very high risk, if you're Axl and Slash sitting down think-tanking over this shit you must look at the situation like 'hang on, what the fuck do we have to gain here?'.  And lets face it, they ain't the 'doin' it for the love of the music' types or we wouldn't be having this discussion.  Releasing a new album at this juncture is almost all downside.  There is more value in their being a nostalgia act than coming out of the traps with a substandard new album which umpteen other reunion acts have done and taking a little more of the polish off of their legacy. 

I don't really much follow the band anymore so perhaps I'm missing some key information here but they don't appear too keen to be making a new album...and I can see why.  I mean look back at all the bands out there who a certain fanbase would LOVE new music from.  Zeppelin maybe...or The Smiths...or fuckin'...I dunno, The Sex Pistols maybe.  Would they really benefit from releasing a new album, when you think about it?  In the fragmented age of streaming, is an album even that thing anymore, as you've already said?  So with that in mind, where's the upside?  No money, no prestige, no particular artistic kudos. 

I get what you're saying and I agree in many ways. Though I do think that there's more pressure for GNR to release something compared to say The Rolling Stones for example. Many see GNR as a nostalgia act, but at the same time people also ask about a new album on almost every single interview that they make. Metallica is criticizing them for not making new music. The fans are getting frustrated. People are expecting new music from them even if the casual fans are not. They've said themselves that they want to release new music. So legacy-wise it is also kinda risky to not release anything ever again. I mean how long can this continue? How long can they keep telling that they want to release new music and not release anything. At some point it'll become a joke and not only in the eyes of hardcore fans, but the whole world will view GNR as the band that's incapable of releasing new music. Kinda like it already was a laughing stock when CD was in the making. But right now people see GNR in a positive light. What is actually a bigger risk for the legacy of GNR... releasing an album that some people will like and some people will hate? Or not releasing anything ever again and becoming a joke in that sense? I don't know. I think that not releasing anything is actually a bigger risk.

Especially since we're talking about GNR. They are some of the greatest musicians on this planet. You just know that the album will be good, even if it can't live up to impossible standards. At the end of the day CD didn't hurt the bands image too much. People still come to see the band and want to hear the hits. GNR used to be a joke mostly because of Slash's absence and Axl's incapability of releasing music. CD itself didn't really hurt the bands legacy much. It's a curiosity. Some like it and some don't. Same would probably happen with a new album. Some would like it and some wouldn't. But personally I don't think it would hurt the bands legacy as much as not releasing anything ever again.

  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lies They Tell said:

New music is made to promote the tours.

This. It's the way the industry works nowadays, there's no money in new music, but there is big money in touring. There's only so long an artist can tour the same show, unless they're happy as nostalgic losers playing clubs and Vegas residencies. There are even artists that bang out albums for free just so they can keep touring.

Guns need a new album. The Slash/Duff nostalgia has been wearing off for a while now, hence why they can't sell out stadiums like they used to 3 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, moreblack said:

But how do we define "good"?

i think GnR Lies is 'good' on a GnR scale.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I don't really much follow the band anymore so perhaps I'm missing some key information here but they don't appear too keen to be making a new album...and I can see why.  I mean look back at all the bands out there who a certain fanbase would LOVE new music from.  Zeppelin maybe...or The Smiths...or fuckin'...I dunno, The Sex Pistols maybe.  Would they really benefit from releasing a new album, when you think about it?  In the fragmented age of streaming, is an album even that thing anymore, as you've already said?  So with that in mind, where's the upside?  No money, no prestige, no particular artistic kudos. 

Maybe they do want to release another album while knowing it won't be as good as the classics cause they believe it will still not detract from the catalog. Maybe they think it'll still be a quality release and that will be enough of a reason to do it. It's just you don't actually believe they can pull it off cause they're too old/not talented enough or don't have the integrity or will to do it.

But bands still release albums all the time. Old bands. Less talented old bands that release good albums and I believe Axl actually cares too much to release shit albums and everytime he shares his thoughts about releasing new music it's the same answer: he wants to do it.

I agree that the stakes are higher, now that Slash n' Duff are back, I just feel like they do have the balls to go for it and the talent to at least make an album that will musically reflect where the band is at right now. Just like Chinese did for a lot of hardcore fans.

There is a lot of material to work with according to all 3 of them and sometimes it's easy to forget how helpful it is to have that kind of musical chemistry. Even without Izzy there is still musical ability here that could allow them to get it right imo.

Edited by Rovim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×