Appetite for Destruction Remastered General Thread

Now that I've listened to all the demos, I can understand why some think the Shadow of Your Love that was released as a single was re-recorded. Very modern sounding in comparison to the rest of the demos.  It definitely got the white glove treatment. 

Brings me back to listening to most of these demos, poor quality, from some overpriced bootleg CD.  Nice to hear these again, as an old man, streaming lossless to tube amplification, but proper quality.  

Me likes! 

• GNFNR 1
  • Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is the story so far of my involvement: So obviously they were looking to put old stuff (flyers, demos, pictures, etc.) on the boxset.  Why they aren’t all on there I don’t know, but I have hea

Yes. They planted that tree there 20 years ago just for this moment, to black him out.

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, JuicySwoos83 said:

Now that I've listened to all the demos, I can understand why some think the Shadow of Your Love that was released as a single was re-recorded. Very modern sounding in comparison to the rest of the demos.  It definitely got the white glove treatment. 

Brings me back to listening to most of these demos, poor quality, from some overpriced bootleg CD.  Nice to hear these again, as an old man, streaming lossless to tube amplification, but proper quality.  

Me likes! 

Yeah that particular version of Shadow of Your Love, versus the rest of the demos that were probably just straight transfers of the stereo mixdowns, had a recent proper full remix which makes it sound a lot more modernized sonically.  I dig it though! As well as all the demos, they sound great :)

26 minutes ago, hitmanhart408 said:

I've been hearing reports that the Vinyl standalone edition comes with a download card and the download includes all 4 disc in High Rez. @RussTCB might like that

Saw that on the hype sticker. I'll never download them but it's a nice thing to include for a lot of people.

17 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Yeah that particular version of Shadow of Your Love, versus the rest of the demos that were probably just straight transfers of the stereo mixdowns, had a recent proper full remix which makes it sound a lot more modernized sonically.  I dig it though! As well as all the demos, they sound great :)

I'm loving them too.  I'd probably wet myself if they were all souped up like Shadow.  

Edited by JuicySwoos83
Because I can

So, when further inspecting my Super Deluxe I see that the only concert flyer included is the WTTJ video shoot one (The announcement videos and promos showed 7 flyers, but the hype stickers only mention the WTTJ one) and the replica ticket stub from the Troubadour seems to be missprinted, it reads Jan 4th 1985 instead of Jan 4th 1986 like the real one did.

Not that this really matters but I though it would be worth mentioning.

Regarding the hidden cassette:

"Tape does play the tracks and we pulled from the original analog tape and transferred at 192K 24-bit.

We will not be making these songs avail other than the cassette at the moment."

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

My Review of the 2 LP Vinyl..... Looks great.  Top notch on the artwork, poly lined sleeves, good pressing, etc....  Yet, I think the actual audio could have been way better...The Album seems harsh, lacks low end, and is cut a bit hot.  I prefer my first pressings in general.  Now, some songs of the remaster benefit from the 3 side treatment (Paradise city for one)......but having worked in audio production for several years, to my ears it seems there was a little crunching of the hi-res source files.  By the third side it's louder than any of my vinyl at my go to volume level.  Could have been way better considering they split things across two albums. Lets hope for a 2 lp 45 RPM someday.

I have Apple Music, so I bought the 2 disc version because I knew I could have the rest of the tracks on Apple Music, and so the 2 disc version seemed like a good solution to have in my car. However, since I'm very spoiled, I am now regretting that I didn't buy the Deluxe Version box, which I had in my hands today.
I just couldn't spend 174 euros in that box, so I bought the cheaper version and now I'm regretting it.
Upon realizing that the Big 1000$ box has a Hidden tape, I'm also not satisfied that I don't have the tape. 1617

In the end:

So bittersweet This tragedy, 
Won't ask for absolution

This melody
Inside of me
Still searches for solution

So if someone here can put some sense into my head, and let me know that I did the right choice, because I'm not a teenager anymore to be spending hundreds in music, please feel free to do so! 'Cause it's becoming really hard to accept it! :rofl-lol::bitchfight:

Edited by Propaganda

Got a chance to listen to the remasters in my car today . I've got a kenwood deck , Polk audio 6.5 components and Polk audio 6x 9s with an Infiniti 4 channel amp . for a budget set up it sounds pretty good . Anyway i was pleasantly surprised at how well the remastered version of afd came out . I can hear each instrument much clearer and it sounds like it was given steroids . 

It's not a new album but at least it's something new

random thoughts:

listening to the demos now. They all sound great. They were cleaned up very nicely. 
some of the sleeve photo's used for the 7" in the L&L box are pretty blurry. I wonder what the source was. Live Like a Suicide LP looks blurry too. 

I might go to goodwill tomorrow to see if I can find a cheap tape deck to listen to the cassette.

Edited by hitmanhart408

Super Deluxe box set from Amazon for $138.  Fucking dig it!  Sure most of the stuff I've seen and heard before, but not all of it and not this quality.  If you love Guns then no reason not to dish out less than an $150 for it.  Getting it on day of release is great also.

- Love pages 32-34 reading about Appetite songs for each track with comments from whole band.

- Really digging 'You're Crazy (Acoustic Version)' on CD 4.  Like the distortion on Axl's mic.  Just feels like a countryish 70's song this way.  No cursing, but I can get over that.

- Liked the groove of 'New Work Tune'.  Wished they would have done something with it.

- Overall quality of recordings on CD's.  Remastered 'Heartbreak Hotel' my favorite of all the songs I've heard shittier versions of before.

- Thinking of getting some of the 2 page pictures professionally copied for lesser seen and much cooler posters for my jam room (definitely the 1st one at begining of book).  Uzi Sucide Logo, Welcome to Jungle pic I assume was drawn by Slash and seen on Axl's T-shirt would be cool to get Lithos made or T-shirt made from.

Seriously I actually like it.  And not because I'm trying to make myself feel better for spending over a $100 for it.  Would have had to do that for the 1K box set, but for Super Deluxe version I'm more than satisfied.

Edited by sc_gunner
  • Like 1

Am I the only one who hears fuck all difference (at least with the vinyl so far) I’ll give the CD a spin later and stick the headphones in also at some point this week that might make it clearer. But for now I hear piss all difference. I also thought the vinyl played back a little slower than the original. 

Roll on the illusions box sets 😄

• Like 2

Went to Amoeba in LA tonight and ended up grabbing a near mint promo LP of the original Robert Williams cover for $60 instead of the “remaster”. It sounds amazing.  Never knew the promo was a QUIEX II  Pressing which appears translucent if you hold it up to a light