Appetite for Destruction Remastered General Thread

My Review of the 2 LP Vinyl..... Looks great.  Top notch on the artwork, poly lined sleeves, good pressing, etc....  Yet, I think the actual audio could have been way better...The Album seems harsh, lacks low end, and is cut a bit hot.  I prefer my first pressings in general.  Now, some songs of the remaster benefit from the 3 side treatment (Paradise city for one)......but having worked in audio production for several years, to my ears it seems there was a little crunching of the hi-res source files.  By the third side it's louder than any of my vinyl at my go to volume level.  Could have been way better considering they split things across two albums. Lets hope for a 2 lp 45 RPM someday.

I have Apple Music, so I bought the 2 disc version because I knew I could have the rest of the tracks on Apple Music, and so the 2 disc version seemed like a good solution to have in my car. However, since I'm very spoiled, I am now regretting that I didn't buy the Deluxe Version box, which I had in my hands today.
I just couldn't spend 174 euros in that box, so I bought the cheaper version and now I'm regretting it.
Upon realizing that the Big 1000$ box has a Hidden tape, I'm also not satisfied that I don't have the tape. 1617

In the end:

So bittersweet This tragedy, 
Won't ask for absolution

This melody
Inside of me
Still searches for solution

So if someone here can put some sense into my head, and let me know that I did the right choice, because I'm not a teenager anymore to be spending hundreds in music, please feel free to do so! 'Cause it's becoming really hard to accept it! :rofl-lol::bitchfight:

Edited by Propaganda

random thoughts:

listening to the demos now. They all sound great. They were cleaned up very nicely. 
some of the sleeve photo's used for the 7" in the L&L box are pretty blurry. I wonder what the source was. Live Like a Suicide LP looks blurry too. 

I might go to goodwill tomorrow to see if I can find a cheap tape deck to listen to the cassette.

Edited by hitmanhart408

Super Deluxe box set from Amazon for $138.  Fucking dig it!  Sure most of the stuff I've seen and heard before, but not all of it and not this quality.  If you love Guns then no reason not to dish out less than an $150 for it.  Getting it on day of release is great also.

- Love pages 32-34 reading about Appetite songs for each track with comments from whole band.

- Really digging 'You're Crazy (Acoustic Version)' on CD 4.  Like the distortion on Axl's mic.  Just feels like a countryish 70's song this way.  No cursing, but I can get over that.

- Liked the groove of 'New Work Tune'.  Wished they would have done something with it.

- Overall quality of recordings on CD's.  Remastered 'Heartbreak Hotel' my favorite of all the songs I've heard shittier versions of before.

- Thinking of getting some of the 2 page pictures professionally copied for lesser seen and much cooler posters for my jam room (definitely the 1st one at begining of book).  Uzi Sucide Logo, Welcome to Jungle pic I assume was drawn by Slash and seen on Axl's T-shirt would be cool to get Lithos made or T-shirt made from.

Seriously I actually like it.  And not because I'm trying to make myself feel better for spending over a $100 for it.  Would have had to do that for the 1K box set, but for Super Deluxe version I'm more than satisfied.

Edited by sc_gunner
  • Like 1

Am I the only one who hears fuck all difference (at least with the vinyl so far) I’ll give the CD a spin later and stick the headphones in also at some point this week that might make it clearer. But for now I hear piss all difference. I also thought the vinyl played back a little slower than the original. 

Roll on the illusions box sets 😄

• Like 2

Went to Amoeba in LA tonight and ended up grabbing a near mint promo LP of the original Robert Williams cover for $60 instead of the “remaster”. It sounds amazing.  Never knew the promo was a QUIEX II  Pressing which appears translucent if you hold it up to a light

10 hours ago, Muddy said:

Got a chance to listen to the remasters in my car today . I've got a kenwood deck , Polk audio 6.5 components and Polk audio 6x 9s with an Infiniti 4 channel amp . for a budget set up it sounds pretty good . Anyway i was pleasantly surprised at how well the remastered version of afd came out . I can hear each instrument much clearer and it sounds like it was given steroids . 

It's not a new album but at least it's something new

Yes it is clearer. The best part is that you can tell who is singing on it too besides Axl.

Quite enjoyed the 5.1 mix. Listening to the bonus tracks in 5.1 and they all sound great. Was so close to not getting the deluxe CD set and only the vinyl. But so glad I got them both. Like most people here, its hreat to hear fantastic quality of the demos at long last.

Edited by Mrbluesky
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, MYWIFEMYLIFE said:

The only dissapointment I got is the vinyls not being 45 rpm. hologroshit is lame and wasted a precious side. Other than this, all worth each penny.

Totally agree. As soon as I saw it was 2 LPs I was really hoping it'd be 45rpm only to have my hopes dashed lol

Is there anyway to get the tracks on the cassette? Has anyone found a way to convert them from cassette to online?  Would love have those, but can’t pay $1000 for them. 

I’d drop real money for this box set if they loaded this it with music instead of trinkets. Love these 3 songs from Marquee.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nycgunner said:

Is there anyway to get the tracks on the cassette? Has anyone found a way to convert them from cassette to online?  Would love have those, but can’t pay $1000 for them. 

I’d drop real money for this box set if they loaded this it with music instead of trinkets. Love these 3 songs from Marquee.

it's possible, you need a cassette player and a 3.5 audio cable to plug from the player to the computer